PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Fan's View Point

Atlsooner
9/12/2011, 04:25 PM
I am a member of Georgia Outdoor News, a forum of fishing, hunting etc. There was a thread on there about the game this weekend and thought I would share.

No bigger Nole fan in the world than me and I'll be leaving a deer stand early Saturday night so I can go find the game on some where in Dublin. I'll be cheering loudly and in general embarrassing my wife and daughter to no end with my antics in a public place. None the less I also believe I am pretty good about calling it like it is. After being at the game Saturday night and really focusing on the big fellas up front here is what I think. Remember we outweighed CSU 315-233 across the front.
Guys, we have some SERIOUS O line issues. Now I know CSU runs a 3-3-5 and that defense can be difficult to run against, but come on!! Don't let the final yards rushing fool you. We got about 45 on a Reid end around, and about 40 on the last play of the game after JWJ saw the hole was clogged AGAIN and turned it out and just was more talented and faster than their players. I am far from saying we are doomed and the sky is falling but I just can't see our offense winning this game for us when the O line can't open up any type of hole for our stable of talented backs to run through. On top of that for 8 passes EJ looks like a Heisman candidate and the next 5 he misses wide open receivers bt 8 yards!! That may be OK against CSU, but we will lose if he does that next Saturday. It's going to require ALL phases of our game working perfectly to beat OK. They are ranked number 1 for a reason. No they may not have a fantastic D, but they're still pretty dang good and this is far and away the best offense we'll play this year.
Now as far as the D goes, they are as advertized and I believe they will keep us in the game as long as is humanly possible. But no defense is going to shut down Oklahoma's offense. We are going to have to score points!!
BTW if there is a better kicker, punter combo in the nation than Powell, Hopkins I'd like to see them! All that being said if you asked me to at this moment give my honest opinion about this game, Id say OK wins by 10-14 points. As my wife frequently informs me I am wrong more often than I am right. I pray this is one of those occasions!!

instigator
9/12/2011, 04:35 PM
I'll pray he's right too. Can't wait for Saturday!!

8timechamps
9/12/2011, 04:35 PM
Good, unbiased view. I'm not so sure our defense is "not fantastic". We'll see Saturday, but I kinda think our defense is flying below the radar. Sure, a couple of mistakes in coverage against Tulsa, but Stoops has had two weeks to make sure those things don't happen.

I think the OP said it best, if they are going to win, they will have to "play perfect in all three phases of the game", and if it was hard to do against Charleston Southern, it's going to be almost impossible against us.

yukonsooner
9/12/2011, 04:45 PM
I agree, I think the defense will surprise. We have seen one game, the first game, there are always jitters, busted assignments, etc, in that first outting. They say there is always a big improvement between week one and two, and we've had two weeks to get better. Don't be get me wrong, it will be a tough game and a test for both sides of the ball.

JudInKC
9/12/2011, 04:45 PM
I saw some Seminole fans at Disney World this past summer. They didn't seem very confident then, but maybe they were being nice.

Funniest part of the encounter was when one of the ladies in the group (the mom) said to me, "didn't you beat us pretty bad last year?". I just chuckled and tried to make an excuse for it by saying something like FSU didn't play very well". LOL

KantoSooner
9/12/2011, 04:55 PM
It occurs to me that GJ might just be a better QB than EJ. And that might be all the edge we need

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2011, 04:57 PM
I tend to agree with the FSU fan, although I'm not making point predictions. I didn't see their last game, but their offense didn't look that sharp in their first outing. But I do think their front 7 on defense will give us plenty of troubles. I don't see our running game doing much more than keeping the pass rush honest. If we can convert a few short 3rd downs and many get a 10+ yarder or 2, it may be good enough. I'm hopeful the O-line will protect LJ well, but he won't leave with a clean jersey. He'll have to be smart when the pressure does come and buy time with his legs on occasion. I think our D pressures more than theirs and we win the turnover battle and eventually, the game.

SoonerofAlabama
9/12/2011, 04:59 PM
I watched that game and Like the guy said, at times EJ was making some nice throws. But a lot of the time there would be a wide open guy and EJ would chunk it 10+ yards away from the guy.

SoonerNomad
9/12/2011, 06:21 PM
My FSU friend I am going to the game with echoed the same concerns about the FSU offensive line and it's lack of "push" against a vastly inferior defense than the one they will see on Saturday. I am not as optimistic about our defense as a couple of posters are above, but I don't expect them to be horrible, just extremely susceptible to the big play.

OU - 35, FSU - 24

CBUS_SOONER
9/12/2011, 06:26 PM
this will be a close game... That scares me if we need Jimmy to make a couple fgs

SanJoaquinSooner
9/12/2011, 06:33 PM
any win is good, especially an away win.

JLMSOONER
9/12/2011, 08:33 PM
Just curious about FSU D vs. OUr O. I have seen several post on here with concerns about the O line protecting Landry. What is so different from the FSU D and OUr O line from a year ago. If I'm not mistaken they only sacked Landry once last year?

TrophyCollector
9/12/2011, 08:41 PM
Just curious about FSU D vs. OUr O. I have seen several post on here with concerns about the O line protecting Landry. What is so different from the FSU D and OUr O line from a year ago. If I'm not mistaken they only sacked Landry once last year?

Robot Greggo says, "Good point".

oudavid1
9/12/2011, 09:51 PM
ITS A TRAP!!!

FIRE VENABLES!!!!

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2011, 09:54 PM
this will be a close game... That scares me if we need Jimmy to make a couple fgs

Where's your sense of drama?

SoonerDood
9/12/2011, 09:55 PM
I hope Greg Reid talks as much noise as he did before last year's contest, and gets last year's result.

SoonerMarkVA
9/12/2011, 10:00 PM
ITS A TRAP!!!

FIRE VURNERABLES!!!!

FIFY.

SoonerofAlabama
9/12/2011, 10:07 PM
I hope Greg Reid talks as much noise as he did before last year's contest, and gets last year's result.

He might not even play.

Sabanball
9/12/2011, 10:08 PM
I think FSU is on their way back but Jimbo Fisher has yet to demonstrate he is as good of a game day HC as he is a recruiter. I've said it all summer and I'll say it again--OU wins this one BIG then starts their little league Big 12 schedule en route to New Orleans.

The Ghost of Mex
9/12/2011, 10:22 PM
He might want to just stay in the tree stand...:Treestandsmilie:

btb916
9/12/2011, 10:37 PM
. . . But no defense is going to shut down Oklahoma's offense.

A very good defense could very well shut down our offense. See, for example, the 2008 national title game, where we had the most prolific offense in NCAA history, and could only manage 14 points.

That almost certainly won't happen on Saturday, though. But I doubt we run away with this one; Norman is really a special place, a place where teams come to lose. Landry and crew proved themselves in some big road games last year, and I'm confident that the road environment won't shake anyone up much. So I expect a hard fought game with a Sooner victory.

BoomerJ
9/12/2011, 10:49 PM
He might not even play.

Why do you say that? Is he hurt?

TMcGee86
9/12/2011, 11:11 PM
A very good defense could very well shut down our offense. See, for example, the 2008 national title game, where we had the most prolific offense in NCAA history, and could only manage 14 points.

to be fair though, that really wasn't our offense, seeing as how Murray was gone.

yankee
9/13/2011, 01:38 AM
The game is 5 days away but my stomach is already doing nervous flips when I think about the game. I love it but I hate it at the same time haha.

yankee
9/13/2011, 01:51 AM
Why do you say that? Is he hurt?

I think he's suspended.

Wishboned
9/13/2011, 07:59 AM
I think he's suspended.

He was suspended for last Saturday's game. He will be playing on Saturday.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/13/2011, 11:18 AM
I think FSU is on their way back but Jimbo Fisher has yet to demonstrate he is as good of a game day HC as he is a recruiter. I've said it all summer and I'll say it again--OU wins this one BIG then starts their little league Big 12 schedule en route to New Orleans.

The B12-2 is better than every league this year other than the sec, but whatever doosher. You can take your backhanded compliments back to the toothless sec circle jerk boards.

VA Sooner
9/13/2011, 06:47 PM
Made me feel better about the game...

time to move on folks... nothing to see here.