PDA

View Full Version : Texas, Oklahoma officials meet

Bccajun
9/12/2011, 02:12 PM
Is Texas getting nervous?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Texas-Oklahoma-officials-talk-Big-12-091211

delhalew
9/12/2011, 02:29 PM
Most likely trying to get us to bend over and smile. No thanks.

OUNASH
9/12/2011, 02:32 PM
Time to tell saxeT to kiss our collective A**.

marfacowboy
9/12/2011, 03:11 PM
Texas and OU finding themselves in conference alignments that might end the series would be a terrible thing for the fans, the players and the schools. I hope the powers that be can work out a deal that's good for everyone. Maybe Texas will learn they can't bully people and act like a Mafia Don.
They've sorta created a PR nightmare for themselves.

Tear Down This Wall
9/12/2011, 03:17 PM
Texas and OU finding themselves in conference alignments that might end the series would be a terrible thing for the fans, the players and the schools. I hope the powers that be can work out a deal that's good for everyone. Maybe Texas will learn they can't bully people and act like a Mafia Don.
They've sorta created a PR nightmare for themselves.

Texas will never learn that. Just cut ties with them now. The time is ripe. It may not come again for years. Just do it now. Cut Texas off and get away from them.

We were fine without them in the Big 8, we'd be without them in any other conference. If they want to play baby and take away the OU-Texas game, so be it. If Stoops can live without them, I can live without them.

SoonerMom2
9/12/2011, 04:08 PM
Texas will never learn that. Just cut ties with them now. The time is ripe. It may not come again for years. Just do it now. Cut Texas off and get away from them.

We were fine without them in the Big 8, we'd be without them in any other conference. If they want to play baby and take away the OU-Texas game, so be it. If Stoops can live without them, I can live without them.

My sentiments exactly. UT is going to need some good teams if they bring in all the TX teams so it would make sense to schedule us but on the other hand, am sure with our rising back up, they don't want to keep playing us. In fact, they will be happy to see us go after their * season is my guess. UT already told A&M they don't want to play them and bet they tell us too. If they told that to Boren yesterday, I would have loved to be the fly on the wall as he politely led them from the office and then when the door was shut with some of the Board of Regents members had a few words to say!

Think that idiot from Orangebloods go his info today from UT direct. Suits me just fine that we are going to leave UT and this Conference behind.

marfacowboy
9/12/2011, 04:14 PM

I won't argue their inability to learn or do what's best for the game/everyone. But I sure hate what all of this is doing to the game. The great rivalries made the game what it is. And sure, things change, but you hate to see them change because of greed, over things that are unnecessary and avoidable.
The game was good for all involved.

SoonerMom2
9/12/2011, 04:20 PM
TX killed the Southwest conference and now they drove out CO and NE and A&M and OU looks to be next. Quite a record they have. The latest of putting the LHN ahead of the conference says it all. All you had to do was listen to ESPN for the TX game and hear all the plugs for the LHN. How many other schools have received millions yearly from ESPN? It is rumored that ESPN gave them the big money to keep the conference together -- it didn't work and now they can reinstitute the old SWC and live happily ever after until they decide that doesn't work and they find a loophole to go independent!

CBUS_SOONER
9/12/2011, 04:29 PM
We need to leave them... We stay, They will always have the LHN adavantage among other advantages. They are much stronger with us... F em! Time to look out for OU

ddub0224
9/12/2011, 04:30 PM
Rumor has it that texas wanted to see if OU was going to leave any quarterbacks behind when they join the PAC#.

SoonerMom2
9/12/2011, 05:07 PM
Someone sent me this from a Baylor board:

"Dodds is 100% committed to saving the LHN and has already received positive feedback from UH, UTEP, SMU and Louisiana Tech about forming a new B12 conference with UT, Tech, BU, KSU and ISU.

Reports that UT is negotiating with the PAC, B10 or ACC are false."

Does that mean that MO and KS would go with us to the PAC 12 and TT stays with TX?

Is this really about getting rid of OU since they couldn't stand the * championship?

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/12/2011, 05:38 PM

"Dodds is 100% committed to saving the LHN and has already received positive feedback from UH, UTEP, SMU and Louisiana Tech about forming a new B12 conference with UT, Tech, BU, KSU and ISU.

Does that mean that MO and KS would go with us to the PAC 12 and TT stays with TX?

Is this really about getting rid of OU since they couldn't stand the * championship?

I'm not sure that conference would even be worthy of an AQ BCS bid.

LASooner
9/12/2011, 05:45 PM
UH, UTEP, SMU and Louisiana Tech about forming a new B12 conference with UT, Tech, BU, KSU and ISU

Funniest thing I've read all day, do those teams even live up to the BCS criteria? Texas is essentially saying they're going to join CUSA.

BASSooner
9/12/2011, 06:04 PM

Makes more sense for Tech to stay in this scenario. Yeah they will have to deal with texas being on top all of the time but this will help Tech build a better reputation (somewhat) in the conference. However, that all depends if Big 12 keeps it's AQ status with them on board. If not, Tech is gone likely with us.

Phil
9/12/2011, 06:16 PM
I laughed out loud. Seriously. This would be EPIC. Won't happen, but EPIC nevertheless.

bigfatjerk
9/12/2011, 06:32 PM
OU/Texas weren't in the same conference till 1996 and played each other every year for about 80 years before that. And almost 70 years in Dallas. The rivalry will never end. They already have a deal with the Cotton Bowl for the next decade or so. The game will always be played in Dallas during the State Fair, the PAC whatever won't change that.

prrriiide
9/12/2011, 06:43 PM
After killing one conference, dang near killing another, and still trying (and mostly succeeding) to kill it, I think the BigXII should be pro-active and kick the worns out of the conference. Aggie could stay, we could add Tulsa, TCU, BYU, and maybe a couple of others. Keep the AQ status and the hell with texass.

Bccajun
9/12/2011, 06:59 PM
OU/Texas weren't in the same conference till 1996 and played each other every year for about 80 years before that. And almost 70 years in Dallas. The rivalry will never end. They already have a deal with the Cotton Bowl for the next decade or so. The game will always be played in Dallas during the State Fair, the PAC whatever won't change that.

I have to agree with this. Also keeps the recruiting door in Texas open

Taxman71
9/12/2011, 07:07 PM
After killing one conference, dang near killing another, and still trying (and mostly succeeding) to kill it, I think the BigXII should be pro-active and kick the worns out of the conference. Aggie could stay, we could add Tulsa, TCU, BYU, and maybe a couple of others. Keep the AQ status and the hell with texass.

The first step would be firing Beebe or replacing him with someone who isn't controlled by the whorns. Good luck, even Donnie Duncan sold OU to the whorns 16 years ago.

Soonerfan88
9/12/2011, 07:15 PM

I like this idea and Taxman is correct. Beebe absolutely must be replaced.

soonervegas
9/12/2011, 07:23 PM
If Dodds is actually considering the scenario above that will be for non football only.

If Texas is out I really think KU and Mizzou might be in.

The main drawback to Texas not coming with is it really limits our schedule flexibility. Texas as a non-conference essentially gives us 2 patsies, Texas, and the PAC-16 schedule.

GottaHavePride
9/12/2011, 07:34 PM
Why all the angst over holding the Big XII together? F it. Time to move on.

Plexis22
9/12/2011, 07:44 PM
Cut ties with Texas and OSU and go to the SEC West with A&M before Mizzou takes our spot. I want no part of a PAC or "new" Big 12-2-1...

sooneredaco
9/12/2011, 07:54 PM

There also was not a LHN at the time... Times have changed

AlboSooner
9/12/2011, 08:07 PM
Texas went to Oklahoma.

That's all I need to know that we are in a good position.

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 08:11 PM
Cut ties with Texas and OSU and go to the SEC West with A&M before Mizzou takes our spot. I want no part of a PAC or "new" Big 12-2-1...

I hope you have a favorite SEC team, then.

3rdgensooner
9/12/2011, 08:13 PM
That's all I need to know that we are in a good position.We've got hand.

http://www.digyourowngrave.com/content/george_costanza_hand_model.jpg

S008NER
9/12/2011, 08:39 PM
Just speculating but i doubt this meeting was an attempt by texas to save this conference.

soonerboomer93
9/12/2011, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure that conference would even be worthy of an AQ BCS bid.

It wouldn't, it would be beneath the Big East in strength.

GottaHavePride
9/12/2011, 09:14 PM
Just speculating but i doubt this meeting was an attempt by texas to save this conference.

This was probably just a meeting to secure guarantees that when we leave, we'll still play Texas every year OOC.

PDXsooner
9/12/2011, 09:34 PM
Can someone explain the story behind Texas ruining the SWC? I've heard SMU ruined it as well. I'm curious what the facts are...

Plexis22
9/12/2011, 10:56 PM
I hope you have a favorite SEC team, then.

I want to see an OU-Arkansas rivalry started, and to be a part of the most powerful conference. Unlike others I think OU would dominate the SEC.

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 11:01 PM
I want to see an OU-Arkansas rivalry started, and to be a part of the most powerful conference. Unlike others I think OU would dominate the SEC.

Arkansas fans have a completely irrational hatred/inferiority complex towards OU, which is weird, since the two teams rarely play each other.

And no team is dominating the SEC right now, so why would OU? It's not like we've dominated the past couple of SEC teams we've faced.

cjames317
9/13/2011, 10:24 AM
The devil went up to Norman, he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind: he was willin' to make a deal.
When he came across this wise man playin' the game and playin' it hot.
And the devil jumped upon a hickory stump and said: "Boren let me tell you what:
"I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a player too.
"And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
"Now you play a pretty good game, Boren, but give the devil his due:
"I bet a hat of gold against your soul, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
Boren said: "My name's David and it might be a sin,
"But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."

Texas_Longhorn
9/13/2011, 10:30 AM
Can someone explain the story behind Texas ruining the SWC? I've heard SMU ruined it as well. I'm curious what the facts are...Thanks PDXsooner. I want to hear this too.

70sooner
9/13/2011, 10:42 AM
apparently the King doesn't think it would be a good idea to cut ties with Texas....I understand what he's saying, but I don't think in this day and age, it's the same.

Dave Sittler: Switzer weighs in on Pac-12 move

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist
Published: 9/13/2011 2:26 AM
Last Modified: 9/13/2011 5:13 AM

STILLWATER - In the midst of mapping out strategy for Saturday's game at Tulsa, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy's also dealing with possible changes to his recruiting map.

Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer, meanwhile, had some advice for Gundy, Sooner coach Bob Stoops and officials at both Bedlam schools. Switzer emphatically suggested that all the current recruiting efforts at OU and OSU should focus solely on convincing Texas to stay in the same conference as the Sooners and Cowboys.

The comments from Gundy and Switzer were prompted by the latest chaotic conference realignment news involving the Big 12 and the Pac-12.

Several media outlets confirmed Texas officials traveled to Norman on Sunday to meet with their counterparts at OU about the conference future of both schools.

The Austin American-Statesman reported that UT is determined to keep the Big 12 intact, even after Texas A&M leaves for the SEC. OU representatives reportedly informed the Longhorns of the Sooners' intentions of applying for membership in the Pac-12 along with OSU.

"I don't know where they're going," Switzer said Monday in a telephone interview. "But I think (OU & OSU) would be making a hell of a mistake to not go where Texas goes.

"What gives you the best chance to recruit in Texas? To compete against Texas."

OU and OSU weren't in the same league with the Longhorns when Switzer coached the Sooners. The Bedlam Brothers belonged to the Big Eight, while Texas was in the Southwest Conference.

"It was tougher for me and for all the schools in the Big Eight to recruit in Texas," Switzer said. "Every one of the schools in the Southwest Conference negatively recruited against us.

"Bob (Stoops) doesn't have that problem. It's easier to recruit when you're in the same conference with Texas."

At his weekly press conference Monday, Gundy acknowledged that it is becoming evident OSU will head west if it leaves the Big 12. Membership in the Pac-12 should open new recruiting areas for Gundy's staff in talent-rich California.

And like every Big 12 coach, he'd like the realignment questions to be answered ASAP. He needs to figure out if OSU needs to ramp up recruiting efforts on the West Coast.

"We have to talk about it some because if it ever happens, it could happen really fast," he said. "So you have to be proactive in recruiting from an information standpoint."

Gundy has rarely recruited California during his coaching career. But it would seem that Pac-12 membership would be a bonanza for OSU and OU. They would have the best of both worlds - recruiting access to Texas and California, two states that consistently rank among the top five in producing Division I prospects.

Gundy agrees with that theory to a point. But he wonders how successful schools in the Midwest will be in convincing blue-chip prospects to leave the beaches of California for the plains of Oklahoma.

"What it comes down to is, can they live here comfortably, to where they'll perform in the classroom and perform on the field," Gundy said. "That I don't know."

Stoops was unavailable for comment. But sources within OU's athletic department questioned the reports that indicated OU has decided to join the Pac-12. Those sources said the coaches have not been informed by their superiors that the Sooners have definitely decided to ignore Texas' plea to help save the Big 12 by remaining in the beleaguered conference.

Switzer said he wasn't privy to any inside information about OU President David Boren and the school's board of regents reaching a final decision.

The man who won three national championships by consistently signing some of Texas' top high school talent knows some in the Sooner Nation don't want to hear his comment about OU's need to be in the same league as Texas.

"We could not win without it (Texas talent)," said Switzer of his years battling Southwest Conference coaches in recruiting. "Every home I went into, they all said, "let's keep them in Texas and fight among ourselves and cut OU out of it.

"There are 1,700 high schools south of the Red River and we (recruit) them against Texas, so we need to sell the same things. And we need to be kicking their (behind) in the same league instead of not competing against them in a different league."

In other words, it's fine to head west to recruit young men. But don't ever draw up a map that doesn't include Texas - the state and the university.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=202&articleid=20110913_202_B1_STILLW10800

MountainOkie
9/13/2011, 10:56 AM
I hate to disagree with the King, and while we do need Texas recruits, I think:

1. The current situation is different as all Texas schools are no longer in the same conference and so can't create a "recruiting wall".

2. Switzer recruited great in Texas while the Texas schools were banding together to fight him. So....I guess they weren't too effective at keeping him out. Why should it be different this time?

SoonerMom2
9/13/2011, 12:56 PM
Switzer lives in the past for the most part -- a lot of his comments are not what I would expect and this adds to that.

Times have changed completely since his glory days at OU -- look at us as we are commenting about his comments live on a computer. Some people adapt well to change and others do not -- it is a fact of life.

A lot of us are frankly fed up with UT, ESPN, and the LHN. In today's age, it is not going to affect recruitment that much in my opinion. Most of our recruiting is done in north Texas so I don't see that changing.

I think Sittler is stuck in the 80's from some of his articles recently!

CBUS_SOONER
9/13/2011, 03:55 PM
Its 4:55 and texass still sucks

ashley
9/13/2011, 03:57 PM
Be careful about being smarter than Barry about football and recruiting.

SoonerMarkVA
9/13/2011, 06:08 PM
"It was tougher for me and for all the schools in the Big Eight to recruit in Texas," Switzer said. "Every one of the schools in the Southwest Conference negatively recruited against us.

"Bob (Stoops) doesn't have that problem. It's easier to recruit when you're in the same conference with Texas."

No offense to the King, but is he off his nut? He honestly believes that Stoops doesn't have to deal with negative recruiting in Texas--because we're in the same conference as ut? That is some seriously crazy talk there.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2011, 06:17 PM
No offense to the King, but is he off his nut? He honestly believes that Stoops doesn't have to deal with negative recruiting in Texas--because we're in the same conference as ut? That is some seriously crazy talk there.

It may have been tough for Switzer to recruit in Tx, but it sure didn't slow him down. Anytime I hear the King talk about Stoops and current OU FB, I always detect an adversarial tone. I wonder if there is some ego involved with Bob threatening some of Barry's records. But I'll admit that I only hear snippets because I live so far away.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2011, 07:06 PM
Barry just understands that buying a recruit's family a home in TX (Mississippi?) is much cheaper than buying one for a recruit's family in California.

ashley
9/13/2011, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerMarkVA;3340263]No offense to the King, but is he off his nut? He honestly believes that Stoops doesn't have to deal with negative recruiting in Texas--because we're in the same conference as ut? That is some seriously crazy talk there.[/QUOTE

Switzer never said that. What the hell are you talking about?

ashley
9/13/2011, 07:40 PM
It may have been tough for Switzer to recruit in Tx, but it sure didn't slow him down. Anytime I hear the King talk about Stoops and current OU FB, I always detect an adversarial tone. I wonder if there is some ego involved with Bob threatening some of Barry's records. But I'll admit that I only hear snippets because I live so far away.

Good heavens. They are very good friends that ride their cycles together. Dumb statement.

AlboSooner
9/13/2011, 08:12 PM
Before I accept Barry comments anything other than his display of ADHD, I would like to see some proof or reasoning on why is it easier on Bob to recruit, and why it was harder for Switzer who paid people up and down. Sometime I wish the King would choose not to speak on some issues.

birddog
9/13/2011, 08:18 PM
the ticket in detroit reported that we are moving to the pac-12. :gary:

SoonerMarkVA
9/14/2011, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerMarkVA;3340263]No offense to the King, but is he off his nut? He honestly believes that Stoops doesn't have to deal with negative recruiting in Texas--because we're in the same conference as ut? That is some seriously crazy talk there.[/QUOTE

Switzer never said that. What the hell are you talking about?

Uh, the QUOTE from Switzer is in my post.