PDA

View Full Version : EA sports NCAA football video game lawsuit

badger
9/12/2011, 01:10 PM
Dismissed on first amendment grounds.

Link (http://games.ign.com/articles/119/1193833p1.html)

I have no idea if this means that player names can be put on the backs of jerseys now or the players will look less like generic dolls on close-ups, but likely not.

With an average of 100 people per team including coaches and walk-ons and about 100 teams (don't think they include every FBS team), can you imagine what the payout would be divided evenly among everyone? Even if the amount was, like $1 million in royalties?

$1,000,000/100,000= $100.

Yay...

jumperstop
9/12/2011, 01:17 PM
I don't see how he could claim they used his name, they don't put names in the game. And if by likeness he means a person with the same color skin and generic face, wearing the number he wore....Sounds like a money grubber to me.

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 01:26 PM
People should be suing EA for putting out a ****ty product year after year.

LASooner
9/12/2011, 01:55 PM
What I find interesting is that they don't put the names on there, but they record the names in case someone else does. Usually if you put a name on that isn't in their name database the Brad Nessler will call them by their number. But if you call them something like Jones, Smith or in this case Hart, Nessler will say the name which means it was recorded. That's not a big deal, but I remember the season Chijioke Onyenegecha was on the team, and he made a play and Nessler called him "Onyenegecha", that's kinda getting in a slimy grey area. It would be nice if EA contributed to the general scholarships of all the schools they have in their games, even if it's that paltry $100.

jumperstop
9/12/2011, 02:09 PM
They probably only bother doing that with the big name schools.....not Rutgers anyways.