PDA

View Full Version : ESPN To Pay Kansas $4 Million to Move Game With UT to LHN?

FaninAma
9/12/2011, 11:36 AM
I read this interesting little tidbit of news/rumor on another board. Has anybody else heard about this?

If it is true it seems like just another nail in the Big 12-2-1's coffin. ESPN shelling out even more money to help the longhorns network succeed which ESPN has to know is destabilizing the conference.

Time to pack our bags and make reservations elsewhere.

badger
9/12/2011, 11:41 AM
This is one way for the Bevos to share their lucrative contract with the rest of the Big 12, I guess...

FaninAma
9/12/2011, 11:45 AM
I see it as the dominant media outlet for college football using their influence to make sure the LHN is a success and derivatively using their influence to assist and promote the UT football and athletic programs.

It is becoming obvious that neither UT or ESPN is interested in a level playing field.

How can ESPN cover UT athletics with an unbiased point of view?

MeMyself&Me
9/12/2011, 12:01 PM
To bad for Jayhawk FANS. They'll miss a game that would normally have been televised on at least Tier 2.

badger
9/12/2011, 12:05 PM
Jayhawk fans probably lost interest in Turner Ball after enduring year 1. It was worse than Texas last year. TEXAS!

After barely squeaking by with a win last week over a sh!t tier opponent at home, expectations have to be relatively low the rest of the season, along with TV viewership.

Hold out for $6 million. LHN desperately needs another football game to sell itself and the Rice game is already over. Hell, you might even get $10 million. Absolutely NOBODY carries Bevo TV still, right? Make them cough up the dough if they want a football game!

Bourbon St Sooner
9/12/2011, 12:23 PM
Since Fox Sports has the tier 2 contract they should pick up the game just to **** with ESPN. Who knows, maybe they could get a few $mil out of the deal as well.

JiuJitsuSooner
9/12/2011, 01:32 PM
Since Fox Sports has the tier 2 contract they should pick up the game just to **** with ESPN. Who knows, maybe they could get a few $mil out of the deal as well.

Great Idea!!!

OUDoc
9/12/2011, 01:36 PM
Mangino called it! :)

MikeInNorman
9/12/2011, 01:49 PM
Jayhawk fans probably lost interest in Turner Ball after enduring year 1. It was worse than Texas last year. TEXAS!

After barely squeaking by with a win last week over a sh!t tier opponent at home, expectations have to be relatively low the rest of the season, along with TV viewership.

Actually, KU was a 3 1/2 point dog at home to Northern Illinois, who won 11 games last year and is favored to win the MAC. While we wouldn't think beating NIU was such a big deal, my impression is that the Hawk fans are somewhat pleased to be 2-0, since SI predicted they would win one game this year.

Sooner98
9/12/2011, 03:00 PM
Mangino called it! :)

Dollar signs!!

TuCqE8tMfEs

SoonerMom2
9/12/2011, 03:08 PM
Why would we stay in this Conference? ESPN is destroying the Big 12 conference along with UT and their stupid LHN that ESPN announcers could not quit talking about. This should be the final nail for the Big 12 from President Boren.

This is way over the top for ESPN to pay Kansas $4M over and above what they get. Note it is to Kansas as a university.

Time for OU to tell the Big 12, UT, and the LHN to take it and shove it!

Tear Down This Wall
9/12/2011, 03:24 PM
Watched some good SEC football Saturday morning here in DFW. SEC is already regional here. Let's get in while the getting's good! Good football in a conference at peace with itself, everybody. That's what our main goal should be.

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 03:27 PM
Again with the SEC...

badger
9/12/2011, 03:31 PM
Actually, KU was a 3 1/2 point dog at home to Northern Illinois, who won 11 games last year and is favored to win the MAC. While we wouldn't think beating NIU was such a big deal, my impression is that the Hawk fans are somewhat pleased to be 2-0, since SI predicted they would win one game this year.

Is that how far Hawk ball has sunk? From winning an Orange Bowl and one win away from a divisional championship and a berth in the Big 12 title to being happy with two wins?

THIS is why I set "Big 12 is undefeated" odds at 100 to 1, because of those darn Hawks, not because we are on the road against a top 5 team. You shouldn't be happy with two wins with as much as you paid to get rid of Mangino and much more to hire Turner!

JohnnyMack
9/12/2011, 03:36 PM
That sounds like an astronomical sum for a "meh" conference game. Link?

OULenexaman
9/12/2011, 03:36 PM
actually the KU "fans" wanted to keep Mangino....

Phil
9/12/2011, 03:50 PM

Can't. It's Fox that made the deal with ESPN to let them do it in the first place, exactly because Fox has the Tier 2 rights. Fox is already getting something out of it, as word is that ESPN is going to let them show a 2012 conference game (in the event there is a conference in 2012) on daddy Fox as opposed to one of their cable channels.

MikeInNorman
9/12/2011, 03:58 PM
Is that how far Hawk ball has sunk? From winning an Orange Bowl and one win away from a divisional championship and a berth in the Big 12 title to being happy with two wins?

THIS is why I set "Big 12 is undefeated" odds at 100 to 1, because of those darn Hawks, not because we are on the road against a top 5 team. You shouldn't be happy with two wins with as much as you paid to get rid of Mangino and much more to hire Turner!

"I" don't care one way or another, just know some KU people. And yes, that's how far they have sunk.

SoonerMom2
9/12/2011, 04:02 PM
Fox is going to get the shaft as the chances of OU staying in the Big 12 is slim to none. I think UT got the word from Boren yesterday we are gone. Will TX try to reconstitute the Big 12 with adding more TX schools, you betcha! They want to be KING and as long as OU is in the conference, they will never achieve dominance in all things over the other schools. Baylor would be happy as a lark to be a servant to TX for saving them from the horrible Sooner and Aggie Monsters! :)

Since Pickens and Hargis pledged their support to the Big 12, then let them stay with TX and the LHN which is not likely to happen but shows they have no backbone with the rest. Only Boren would not pledge his support to the Big 12 -- maybe he is the only one who can see a sinking ship and wants to get off ASAP!

MikeInNorman
9/12/2011, 04:03 PM
This also shows the desperation of ESPN in the carriage rights battles. FOUR MILLION dollars to KU, which might still only have 2 wins by that time? $4million for one game is extraordinary, and no wonder KU and Fox took it. It is stupid, stupid money which is flushed if more outlets don't sign carriage deals.

FaninAma
9/12/2011, 04:27 PM
They offered Tech $5 million and Tech turned them down.

C&CDean
9/12/2011, 04:32 PM
If they offer me $6 million I'll promise not to tell some POS whorn fan to go **** his fat sister in Dallas.

SoonerMarkVA
9/12/2011, 09:51 PM
Fox is going to get the shaft as the chances of OU staying in the Big 12 is slim to none. I think UT got the word from Boren yesterday we are gone. Will TX try to reconstitute the Big 12 with adding more TX schools, you betcha! They want to be KING and as long as OU is in the conference, they will never achieve dominance in all things over the other schools. Baylor would be happy as a lark to be a servant to TX for saving them from the horrible Sooner and Aggie Monsters! :)

Since Pickens and Hargis pledged their support to the Big 12, then let them stay with TX and the LHN which is not likely to happen but shows they have no backbone with the rest. Only Boren would not pledge his support to the Big 12 -- maybe he is the only one who can see a sinking ship and wants to get off ASAP!

I guess I missed that. Last I heard, OSU was on the "we go where OU goes" bandwagon. This may be OU's big opportunity to go to the B1G and leave li'l bro to swim with the sharks. Personally, I'd rather join A&M in the SEC, but if that's not in the academic cards, B1G sounds good to me. In fact, any of the SEC, B1G, or Pac-X sounds much better than the languishing Big Tex conference.

ouflak
9/13/2011, 02:09 AM
Anything more on this? I couldn't find much on the KU boards.

jkjsooner
9/13/2011, 08:49 AM
The LHN is just another example of how the sports channels have segmented their content in a way that forces viewers to buy more and more networks every year.

At first it was ESPN. Then they added ESPN2. Every year we get another network we have to buy to be able to get all of the games.

If you put one Texas game on the LHN, thousands of fans will buy the network (or worse, demand it be on the sports package forcing non-Texas fans to pay for it) for that single game. They may never watch LHN outside of that one game but they'll pay for it anyway. Then you'll have some Kansas fans do the same.

A network can be 99.9% crap but if they offer 3.5 or 7 hours of football a year they're golden.

At this point I'm surprised ESPN hasn't created 20 sports channels and randomly locate the games on the various channels...