PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, "Bonanza"

TUSooner
9/12/2011, 10:54 AM
It made its debut September 12, 1959, and ran for 14 seasons. For a lot of guys growing up in the age of westerns, this show was a big part of life. The characters were familiar to every household with a TV.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2959/cartfamb.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/cartfamb.jpg/)

It almost brings a tear of nostagia to my eye.

Also makes me kinda wish the Cartwrights and their cowboy friends would ride on over the Bravo TV HQ and run all them city slickers out of TV-Land.

GDC
9/12/2011, 11:28 AM
The Encore Western channel shows a lot of the good old TV shows like Gunsmoke. I always liked The Big Valley, Maverick, and Have Gun Will Travel.

C&CDean
9/12/2011, 04:01 PM
I liked Branded and The Rifleman as well. I still catch some of those westerns on the channel Geary is talking about above. It's my favorite movie channel. Another of my favorites was Wild, Wild West.

KantoSooner
9/12/2011, 04:10 PM
Kinky Friedman's version of the Bonanza theme was perhaps the best comedic song of all time.

Breadburner
9/12/2011, 04:11 PM
The Cartwright's weren't gay but they were sure glad Hopsing was.....!!!!

olevetonahill
9/12/2011, 05:01 PM
Kinda Sad they all dead except Pernell Roberts .Unless I missed it.

TUSooner
9/13/2011, 01:35 PM
I liked Branded and The Rifleman as well. I still catch some of those westerns on the channel Geary is talking about above. It's my favorite movie channel. Another of my favorites was Wild, Wild West.

It almost never got to watch Branded because I had to go to bed too early. I'd get to see the opening, where he gets cashiered, then off to bed. pfft

Maverick & WWWest were probably my 2 favorites. But my fantastic grandpa & I used to watch Gunsmoke together a lot, so that'll always be something special.

C&CDean
9/13/2011, 01:40 PM
But my fantastic grandpa & I used to watch Gunsmoke together a lot, so that'll always be something special.

My pop and I watched Gunsmoke together a lot as well. It was his favorite show. Every time he'd see Matt Dillon swing a leg up over that buckskin horse he'd go "man, that poor horse, that's one big hombre." Every. Time. Man I miss him.

KantoSooner
9/13/2011, 02:50 PM
Hoss was a paratrooper.

Think about that.

C&CDean
9/13/2011, 02:54 PM
Hoss was a paratrooper.

Think about that.

So was I. When I went in I was about 165 or so. At one point in my life I weighed a hunnert pounds more than that. I still have one of my fatigue shirts and I literally cannot put my arm through the sleeve.

KantoSooner
9/13/2011, 03:21 PM
I have images of some poor North Korean looking up and seeing that dropping in on him. He probly died of fright.

C&CDean
9/13/2011, 04:15 PM
I have images of some poor North Korean looking up and seeing that dropping in on him. He probly died of fright.

Heh. "Look out little buddy..."

Flagstaffsooner
9/14/2011, 12:47 PM
Kinda Sad they all dead except Pernell Roberts .Unless I missed it.

He died 1/24/10

GDC
9/14/2011, 12:50 PM
Kung Fu with David Carradine was another favorite.