PDA

View Full Version : Florida State D v. Oklahoma O

The Ghost of Mex
9/11/2011, 10:19 AM
The following post has me feverishly anticipating the matchup between our offense and there defense...

I am not as concerned about how the D will play in this game as I am how the O does. This game will be won on the match-up between our O and their D. The thing is that Coach Stoops knows the FSU D schemes and how to beat them. Also, what beat FSU last year wasn't as much their inexperience in their new scheme, but OUr pace.

A few questions about the O:

1. How will Landry play? I expect perfection...

2. Heupel's play calling. Will he dazzle us? I expect to be dazzled...

3. Will O Line play make or break us? They were stout against Tulsa, but it was Tulsa...

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2011, 10:44 AM
Running the ball will be *much* tougher and we will not be able to control the game by running. The key will be pass protection. We can use the run and the short passes to keep them honest, but there will be times the O-line must provide time to throw down field or enable crossing routes. Also, LJ will have to be cool and buy time with his legs on occasion.

landrun
9/11/2011, 11:20 AM
The following post has me feverishly anticipating the matchup between our offense and there defense...

A few questions about the O:

1. How will Landry play? I expect perfection...

2. Heupel's play calling. Will he dazzle us? I expect to be dazzled...

3. Will O Line play make or break us? They were stout against Tulsa, but it was Tulsa...

I honestly expect:

1. LJ will struggle - this defense is good and getting better
2. This will be the game when people complain about the play calling
3. O-line will be average.

I expect this to be a tough game.

hawaii 5-0
9/11/2011, 11:26 AM
I agree the offensive line will struggle controlling the LOS.

I expect to see more screens and draws.

5-0

Soonerjesse27
9/11/2011, 11:33 AM
I think FSU is a year away from being "really" good. Landry showed me alot at the end of last year. "Big 12 championship". It will be a tough game, but i like OU by 10-12 points.

cccasooner2
9/11/2011, 11:37 AM
This game will show the Sooner O & D-lines are for real.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/11/2011, 01:09 PM
So what has FSU done again? This is payback time for Oklahoma since the Sooners only won by 30 points last season.

WestAustinSooner
9/11/2011, 02:20 PM
After watching FSU in week one and their victory over an absolutely horrrible Charleston Southern team, I think OU wins by three touchdowns assuming we play to our capabilities. If we start turning the ball over, then I reserve the right to rescind my prediction!

MyT Oklahoma
9/11/2011, 02:28 PM
I expect a good hard fought game and although I expect us to win by 10 (38 to 28) we could still lose of course.

But then what is our all time record against these guys? 4 and 1? 5 and 1? I forget.

budbarrybob
9/11/2011, 02:30 PM
We're DOOMED!

BoomerJ
9/11/2011, 03:08 PM
Even though they blew away a patsy yesterday, some Seminole fans are upset with the play of their O line, mainly interior. I don't think they are running the ball effectively. We have to contain their QB from running, but OU usually does well against teams that are one dimensional. I've also read that EJ was overthrowing his receivers a lot. I'm expecting the turn over margin to be heavily in our favor. Their defense poses probably our greatest challenge this year, but I think with our playmakers and our pace, we take care of business.

Boomer Sooner

CBUS_SOONER
9/11/2011, 03:49 PM
Im kinda shocked how a lot of people seem to think we are gonna blow em out... I think we should win but... its on the road and we have been suspect on the road the las few yrs...They have everyone back(I no we do 2), and are playing with a lot of confidence. Last yr when we blew them out, they were learing the new scheme... Now they are confortable and very confident. in summary, I think it is a game that could go either way. gosh I hope we win

soonerfromgeorgia
9/11/2011, 04:26 PM
Word in this part of the country is that the Sooners can't play with this bunch of Noles.

King Crimson
9/11/2011, 04:40 PM
we won't be able to run the ball like usual against a real front 7, but if Landry has a good game and bad Landry doesn't show up...we'll have a chance to score 35 and win.

we've been pretty crappy on the road the last few years as well.

SoonerDood
9/11/2011, 08:03 PM
Word in this part of the country is that the Sooners can't play with this bunch of Noles.

We heard that about 10 years ago as well. I'll let the men on the field handle it.

proudsoonergal
9/11/2011, 08:43 PM
Looks like Vegas has set the line at OU - 3.5.

Soonerjesse27
9/11/2011, 08:50 PM
Looks like Vegas has set the line at OU - 3.5.

wow .. i would have guessed -6 or -7.

yankee
9/12/2011, 01:26 AM
I feel like FSU's defense will keep our offense in check, for the most part. And I'm not a big believer in FSU's offense and our 'D' is pretty good themselves. I feel like this will be a lower scoring affair (something along the lines of 20-30 points for the winner). I got OU by 10. But then again I thought last year was going to be a close and hard-fought game and we all know how that turned out. I'd love to be wrong again, in the same manner!

Okie35
9/12/2011, 02:09 AM
I don't they will. I think our offense will exploit their defense again because they blitz so much. We'll do a lot of quick passes again Hanna will be a huge factor again. I just think Bob has Mark's number. The only way we'll stumble is if we can't run at all or we come out flat. I still think we'll win by at least 10.

CBUS_SOONER
9/12/2011, 06:37 AM
Hopefully players and coaches are asked everyday this week about past issues playing on the road.

Dan Thompson
9/12/2011, 08:18 AM
With all the attention on Broyles and Stills, maybe Hanna and some of the other TEs can see some action.

NOVSooner
9/12/2011, 09:01 AM
I'm hoping i have the mindset of the team pegged accurately and believe we will come out wanting to make a statement and have a certain swagger about us. I hope to hear after the game fisher say "they're the real deal. Good luck to the rest of the teams on their schedule."

SoonerDood
9/12/2011, 09:07 AM
I'm hoping i have the mindset of the team pegged accurately and believe we will come out wanting to make a statement and have a certain swagger about us. I hope to hear after the game fisher say "they're the real deal. Good luck to the rest of the teams on their schedule."
That would be beyond awesome.

PrideMom
9/12/2011, 12:30 PM
Most teams do not play well on the road, but I will take OU's success over any other. Some games may not be as pretty as we would like, but OU still wins. OU's overall record proves it.

MI Sooner
9/12/2011, 03:44 PM
I really think that we we fight to a draw on special teams and turnovers, we win. I think our lines will play to about a draw (with both DLs probably having the advantage) and we have the advantage elsewhere. I was very encouraged to see more starters on special teams. I wasn't so encouraged by the depth of kickoffs or Way's punts, but his track record is very good.

The number of kick returns we've given up and turnovers we've had in our losses (and close wins like OkSt and Nebraska) is pretty remarkable, and not in a good way. As Stoops would say, if those areas play in a good way, I think we get the W.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/12/2011, 03:46 PM
There has only been one program better on the road this past decade than Oklahoma as far as a combination of legit road games and records and that is USC who stood alone in that regard during the Carroll era. It's well known fact that UT's road record, specifically their non-conference road record was built up by playing "road" games such as at Houston, at UTEP, at Rice, etc. Weak.

fadada1
9/12/2011, 03:54 PM
i think we struggle early to put points on the board, but will move the ball OK. a big scoring play will get things moving a little better.

i'm not terribly worried with our O vs. their D. I think the intriguing matchup is our D vs. their O. honestly, with my crimson colored glasses, i can see this being a very dominating performace from OU's defense. I think our speed matches well with them. If our LB play is solid, I think we win without too much increase in blood pressure.

The Maestro
9/12/2011, 04:13 PM

I take it that part of the country was nowhere near a T.V. exactly one year ago today?

LVSOONER15
9/12/2011, 04:36 PM
I personally want to see Broyles vs reid. There will be alot of focus on Broyles, that should open it up for Stills and our other receivers.

MI Sooner
9/12/2011, 06:52 PM
There has only been one program better on the road this past decade than Oklahoma as far as a combination of legit road games and records and that is USC who stood alone in that regard during the Carroll era. It's well known fact that UT's road record, specifically their non-conference road record was built up by playing "road" games such as at Houston, at UTEP, at Rice, etc. Weak.

I think our road win percentage was behind a couple other teams with legit road schedules, tOSU and UGA if I recall. I think tOSU would have had a harder road schedule than us, too.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/12/2011, 07:18 PM
I think our road win percentage was behind a couple other teams with legit road schedules, tOSU and UGA if I recall. I think tOSU would have had a harder road schedule than us, too.

I know we're talking about the road here, but it's kind of hard to take the likes of Georgia seriously when they lose 2 or 3 games at home per year and Ohio St. probably loses every other year at home. When factoring in both home and road peformances, Oklahoma is top dog given their nation best home record and performance on that record along with being one of the best on the road still.

In the end, Coach Stoops' team only have a problem on the road when they aren't his NC contending teams. And let's face it, a bulk of the road losses in the Coach Stoops' era came in the 2005 and 2009 seasons, which were both massive rebuilding years that were then plagued by either key injuries or a rash of injuries. They just weren't that good of teams by Oklahoma's standards. I just think way too much is being made of Oklahoma's alleged road problems, which I think is just unfairly magnified because Oklahoma is so dominant at home.

USC over the past decade is the only one that has been truly impressive on the road, but look what it costed them to do it. :fat:

Easting
9/12/2011, 08:51 PM
Is it too early to fire Brent Venables? ;)

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2011, 09:03 PM
I remember their defense being incapable of keeping up with our pace of play last year. I also remember our defense shutting down their 1st round quarterback. Outcome looks obvious from what I remember.

The Ghost of Mex
9/12/2011, 10:18 PM
Is it too early to fire Brent Venables? ;)

Hedging your bet??:victorious:

The Sports Lounge
9/12/2011, 10:27 PM
College football week 2 wrap up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK2fJEVIFJw