PDA

View Full Version : My Observations from Saturday

IronHorseSooner
9/11/2011, 08:03 AM
1. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. tOSU, Auburn, SUC, and * were all lucky to win on Saturday, but the media will act like they all won big games against insurmountable odds. The truth is that none of them deserved a W, and they benefited from either bad calls (Auburn) or the other team shooting themselves in the foot (*, SUC, tOSU). None of them can survive like this from week-to-week, and against tougher competition, they will all get crushed.

2. Wisconsin is the real deal. Even though both of their opponents were overmatched, it was how they won those games. If LSU/'Bama falter, don't be surprised to see Wisky in the BCS Title game.

3. ISU showed some resolve. Most people believed that Iowa was going to stomp them, but ISU never gave up and got a really good win. Don't be surprised if they beat somebody this year in conference that they shouldn't (I am looking at you *)!

4. 'Bama looked good, but remember who they were playing. PSU is a really young and inexperienced team, and will be better later in the year. 'Bama this early was a bad match-up.

5. For a conference that is teetering on implosion, the Big XII looks good, so far, even though a number of these teams haven't look pretty in some of their wins. The only conference loss (Mizzou) was on the road in overtime against a team that some think will play for the PAC-12 crown.

Thoughts and additions...

BigTip
9/11/2011, 08:10 AM
"Teetering on implosion." I don't understand why the Big 12 isn't/hasn't gotten any love. Three top ten teams including #1. We win it all this year, why isn't this the best football conference?

SoonerDood
9/11/2011, 08:22 AM
Wisconsin looks really good, but their opposition has been sh1te. Oregon State lost to I-AA school in week 1, and UNLV lost 59-7 to Washington State. Yes, Washington State.

101sooner
9/11/2011, 08:53 AM
Texas has a lot of work to do on offense, but their defense is playing pretty solid. They are very aggressive and athletic. Anybody that plays them one dimensionally will not be able to move the ball.

jumperstop
9/11/2011, 08:59 AM
Texas has a lot of work to do on offense, but their defense is playing pretty solid. They are very aggressive and athletic. Anybody that plays them one dimensionally will not be able to move the ball.
Their d looked a lot better in the second half once they settled down. As soon as Mccoy came in, the espn mccoy-shipley love feast started up again. They reminded viewers like ten times that their brothers played there together....don't you remember, they were roommates, and fished with each other, and liked to play a little pitch and catch....

CBUS_SOONER
9/11/2011, 09:05 AM
i would love to play wisky or boise for all the marbles

boomersooner28
9/11/2011, 09:35 AM
I hope that high school team helped Florida State get ready for us. Wow, talk about a change in scenery for the Noles. I honestly think we beat them by 17 on their home field at night. It should be an eye opener to the rest of the country that we aren't just a pretty princess sitting atop the polls but we are here to destroy folks....namely you SEC. Any of you.

CBUS_SOONER
9/11/2011, 09:40 AM
I hope that high school team helped Florida State get ready for us. Wow, talk about a change in scenery for the Noles. I honestly think we beat them by 17 on their home field at night. It should be an eye opener to the rest of the country that we aren't just a pretty princess sitting atop the polls but we are here to destroy folks....namely you SEC. Any of you.

I hope u are correct... I think its gonna be very stressful

delhalew
9/11/2011, 09:44 AM
B1G looked bad.

kevpks
9/11/2011, 09:47 AM
Michigan State looks good. It looks like you are looking at 0-3 Notre Dame.

Neath a Western Sky
9/11/2011, 09:51 AM

I agree with all in the above quote, regarding the Florida State game. If we do kick the Noles around in a hostile, challenging Prime Time road game, then we know the Sooners are a real live National Championship-caliber team.

Dan Thompson
9/11/2011, 09:59 AM
So far I have not seen a team that has the offensive speed we have.

The DL and OL look like they are in the best shape of any teams I've seen.

CBUS_SOONER
9/11/2011, 10:04 AM
B1G looked bad.

It sucks most yrs.

FaninAma
9/11/2011, 10:15 AM
Before we proclaim the Texas defense as the second coming of the 85 Bears lets remember that BYU's offense is averaging about 10 points a game so far this season.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2011, 10:50 AM

LOL. By what I've seen here in the past, if just scored to go up 76-0, folks would be stressed that Stevens was going to miss the XP.

sooneredaco
9/11/2011, 10:57 AM
ND and Michigan both suck. They can't play defense worth a flip!

LiveLaughLove
9/11/2011, 10:57 AM
Even though it wasn't this "weekend", OSU looks great on offense. Their defense is improved (not sure how much, but some for sure). Weeden isn't as good as LJ, but he is solid and has a great target to throw to. They will be tough.

Another Shipley will be a thorn in our side for years to come. Thank goodness the players around him aren't of his calibur. For the most part, * looks good in a very not sort of way. The GG era is dead, long live the GG era.

Bama's D is good to great, but Penn State's offense is aweful. Auburn should lose several games. LSU is Bama's top opponent for the SEC champ's.

Outside of WU, the B1G sucks. Nebbish is decent, that's about it.

The Pac really needs OU. They are brutal as a conference. CU is doing them proud.

The Big XII is a zombie conference but it keeps eating brains (outside of Pinkel's Pinko Pussies (the kitten kind)).

Jacie
9/11/2011, 11:12 AM
"Teetering on implosion." I don't understand why the Big 12 isn't/hasn't gotten any love. Three top ten teams including #1. We win it all this year, why isn't this the best football conference?

The Big XII is like a car sitting in a salvage yard that was rear-ended. It is more lucrative to part it out than fix it.

8timechamps
9/11/2011, 12:37 PM
I wasn't impressed with the texas defense. It was the running game that got them back in it in the second half. BYU's offense is anemic, so don't pile on the hype-wagon over the surging whorn defense. Not to mention that it took every bit of 4 quarters to beat BYU. And this isn't the same BYU team that beat us in Dallas.

There is another offense out there that can move the ball like we do....unfortunately, it's Okie State. The upside is, I don't think their defense is any better.

Alabama is a one dimension team with a very good defense. If they are forced to throw the ball to win, they will lose.

After watching the Michigan/ND game...not sure why that game was in doubt with less than 2 minutes to go. Denard Robinson is amazing. Either the ND defense is that bad, or Robinson is that good (although he did have 3 picks).

Auburn is hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Being an Auburn fan this year is a lot like eating bad Mexican food...you know the punishment is coming, just don't know when.

And, the last thing I observed is that the weekends, while great now that football is back, are never as much fun without the Sooners playing.

instigator
9/11/2011, 01:40 PM
Alabama is a one dimension team with a very good defense. If they are forced to throw the ball to win, they will lose.

Agreed, but their QB looked better than I expected. I think with that D, it will be tough for anyone to put them in a position they have to pass.

cccasooner2
9/11/2011, 03:35 PM
My vBetting sucks!

westbrooke
9/11/2011, 05:01 PM
I know the coaches had a plan they wanted to stick to, but I've got to believe Penn St.'s staff is kicking themselves for rotating Bolden out. He wasn't setting the world on fire, but he wasn't ****ting the bed either, like McGloin did. Might have been a more interesting game if Bolden had the opportunity to ride it out. Bama looks beatable to me.

Jeffcoat continues to offset whatever good he does on the field with really dumb penalties. Thought he was going to hand BYU another score right before the half with that roughing call.

Wisconsin looks like the real deal to me, at least as far as a Big 10 run is concerned. Yes, the competition has been lacking thus far, but they're taking care of business. Nebraska should be shutting down Fresno St., not trading punches with them. Michigan St. may be putting it together, but I honestly hadn't been paying attention to them before kevpks mentioned them upthread.

Who had money on this one? (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/gameflash/2011/09/10/47908_recap.html)

Almost everybody in the Coliseum thought the officials ruled Harris' touchdown didn't count because of an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty called when much of the USC bench ran onto the field to celebrate, mobbing him in the end zone. But long after the Coliseum had emptied, the Pac-12 announced that Harris had scored after all, saying the penalty was what didn't count.

"All Unsportsmanlike Conduct fouls by substitutes (on the bench) are enforced as dead ball fouls," Pac-12 officiating consultant Mike Pereira said in a league statement. "Since the game was over, the penalty could not be enforced, and the referee stated it was declined by rule. The officials did rule it a touchdown, making the final score 23-14."

USC was favored by eight or nine points for most of the week leading up to the game.

yukonsooner
9/11/2011, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=LiveLaughLove;3338511]Even though it wasn't this "weekend", OSU looks great on offense. Their defense is improved (not sure how much, but some for sure). Weeden isn't as good as LJ, but he is solid and has a great target to throw to. They will be tough.

Did OSU look great on offense or was Arizona that bad? My vote is that AZ was that bad. If AZ wins any conference games this year it will be a total surpirse.