PDA

View Full Version : In Kuala Lumpur and watching the most stupid sports I have ever seen...

TheHumanAlphabet
9/11/2011, 01:20 AM
No offense to the Asians, but I am watching what I can only call foot volleyball (net ball?) and the dumbest sport in history. Since the commentary is in Malaysian, have no clue as to the game. Japan v. S.Korea. They toss the ball in the air and one guy rotate kicks it over the net to the other team. So far, all I have seen are either missed serves or missed service returns...only way to hit the ball is with your foot. Dumb... I didn't linger long as flipping channels while waiting for room service snacks and watching my DVD of OU v. Tulsa.

Curly Bill
9/11/2011, 01:23 AM
I've seen that stuff - it's pretty crazy!

GottaHavePride
9/11/2011, 09:43 AM
Have you watched Aussie rules football? (and I don't mean rugby.)

HILARIOUS. And awesome.

Chuck Bao
9/11/2011, 10:12 PM
No offense to the Asians, but I am watching what I can only call foot volleyball (net ball?) and the dumbest sport in history. Since the commentary is in Malaysian, have no clue as to the game. Japan v. S.Korea. They toss the ball in the air and one guy rotate kicks it over the net to the other team. So far, all I have seen are either missed serves or missed service returns...only way to hit the ball is with your foot. Dumb... I didn't linger long as flipping channels while waiting for room service snacks and watching my DVD of OU v. Tulsa.

Sepak takraw is a very exciting sport to watch, especially if Thailand is playing Malaysia. But the best thing about it is that it is a very low cost sport and played in villages throughout Southeast Asia. My neighborhood in Bangkok has a team and I occasionally go see them play.

KantoSooner
9/12/2011, 08:47 AM
It's okay to watch when the teams are good....and that pretty much reduces the field to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. Otherwise, whoever serves first tends to win.

What are you doing in KL? And how long are you there? Get out of your damn room and go eat:

1. Banana Leaf Curry
2. Pepper Crab
3. Mutton Curry
4. Mangosteen
5. Yong Dao Fu
6. Grilled Prawns
7. Laksa Penang
8. Te Tarek
10. A steak at the Colliseum (if they still exist)
11. Barbecued duck with sliced green chilis.

Not all in one go, of course. Man! I'd give a lot to be in your shoes. KL is in my top five cities; spent some of the best years of my life there.

jumperstop
9/12/2011, 09:10 AM
Have you watched Aussie rules football? (and I don't mean rugby.)

HILARIOUS. And awesome.

They show it quite often on late night espn. I always watch that and rugby when I get a chance, although I prefer rugby. One of the few sports though with a round field, very interesting concept.

jumperstop
9/12/2011, 09:12 AM
Link for those who want to see what it looks like.

OYb_9v6NQ6w

TheHumanAlphabet
9/13/2011, 07:09 AM
GHP: Love Aussie rules. Even saw a game 15 years ago in Melbourne, Carlton v. Geelong.

Kanto: IN KL for a week. Have had Teh Tarik, curry, duck and LOVE Mangosteens... Been traveling straight since Sept. 1 so after work basically crashing in the room. I have been traveling since last November. Wonder if I am still married.

Had to whoop arse on the engineering firm designing a project today. Wasn't modeling stairs and ladders correctly and couldn't answer my questions. I audit them tomorrow now. Civil designers are getting the scrutiny now as they shown not to be designing to our standards.

Veritas
9/13/2011, 10:13 AM
Hacky sack + volleyball + kungfu. I think it's a win.