PDA

View Full Version : Should UGA fire Mark Richt?

Fraggle145
9/11/2011, 12:29 AM
So I know this isnt Sooner football, but it is college football...

Should UGA fire Richt?
2001: 8-4 L to UF 10-24
2002: 13-1 SEC Champs, L to UF 13-20
2003: 11-3 SEC East Champs, L to UF 13-16
2004: 10-2 W vs UF 31-24
2005: 10-3 SEC Champs, L to UF 10-14
2006: 9-4 L to UF 14-21
2007: 11-2 W vs UF 42-30
2008: 10-3 L to UF 10-49
2009: 8-5 L to UF 17-41
2010: 6-7 L to UF 31-34
2011: 0-2 so far to #5 Boise St 35-21 & #12 SCar 45-42

There is a lot of heat building up on his seat. He's only beat UF twice (overall record UGA 46-40; but have only won 3 times since 1990), and the performance of his teams have been declining. Last year he fired his D-coordinator now our Dbacks coach Willie Martinez, and I think a few other people.

What does he have to do to make it through the year? Usually the winner of the game UGA vs SCar determines their season. They lost last year and now this year. But the Dawgs didnt look terrible in their loss today. Turnovers killed them.

I think he has to beat UF and/or get to 8-9 wins to save it... Here's the remaining schedule.

vs Coastal Carolina
@ Ole Miss
vs #16 Mississippi State
@ Tennessee
@ Vanderbilt
vs #18 Florida (Neutral site)
vs New Mexico State
vs Auburn
vs Kentucky
@ Georgia Tech

Thoughts?

Curly Bill
9/11/2011, 12:30 AM
Yes. Average coach at best.

edit..Actually they should keep him forever. Screw Georgia! :tongue:

sooner59
9/11/2011, 12:32 AM
I actually think he WILL win 9 games this year. If he doesn't, he's probably gone. But after looking at that, I like his chances. He already played his two toughest games. Boise wasn't pretty, but SHOULD have beaten SC.

Soonerfan88
9/11/2011, 12:38 AM
I haven't really kept up. When does his contract expire? If he still has several years, he will probably last if they only lose to a ranked SEC teams. They will then re-evaluate next year and spend the time deciding on a replacement and which boosters are paying the buy-out.

sooner59
9/11/2011, 01:05 AM
If Richt had Vince Young, he would be better than Mack Brown.

Curly Bill
9/11/2011, 01:07 AM
If Richt had Vince Young, he would be better than Mack Brown.

There are a lot of coaches better than Mack Brown. With all the resources Texas has and to be no better than they are should embarrass any whorn fan, but most of em are clueless.

sooner59
9/11/2011, 01:09 AM
Yep. If UT had Richt, they would be scary.

CowboyMRW
9/11/2011, 01:11 AM
I think they shouldn't. I like him, but my main reason is he just pulled in an amazing class. I say 2 more years and if still nothing, then yea fire him, but not yet

EatLeadCommie
9/11/2011, 01:23 AM
Yep. If UT had Richt, they would be scary.
UGA has comparable recruiting classes to Texas. He is simply not a good head coach.

Curly Bill
9/11/2011, 01:24 AM
UGA has comparable recruiting classes to Texas. He is simply not a good head coach.

They have good recruiting classes, but comparable to Texas? No way!!!

sooner59
9/11/2011, 01:25 AM

Nobody can compare to recruiting classes at Texas! They are incredible! Every year! GG is the future!

Curly Bill
9/11/2011, 01:30 AM
How was GG ever rated a 5-star QB? He looks terrible.

EatLeadCommie
9/11/2011, 01:37 AM
They have good recruiting classes, but comparable to Texas? No way!!!
Top 5 most years. They probably have better classes than we do. But yeah, I detect sarcasm.

Curly Bill
9/11/2011, 01:38 AM
Do you actually follow recruting? Cause I don't think you do.

Curly Bill
9/11/2011, 01:40 AM
In the last 5 years Georgia has ranked in the top 5 recruiting classes once.

Fraggle145
9/11/2011, 01:54 AM
I think they shouldn't. I like him, but my main reason is he just pulled in an amazing class. I say 2 more years and if still nothing, then yea fire him, but not yet

I was in the FIRE RICHT DEATH BLOOD CAMP. But after seeing today it just looks like they have a young team that just isnt there yet. If I was the AD (and depending on how this season goes... losing record=done, 3rd in the East=Done), then I'd see how next season went. If they dont contend for the SEC next year I see it being curtains.

EatLeadCommie
9/11/2011, 02:18 AM
per Rivals...

UGA
2006 - 4
2007 - 9
2008 - 7
2009 - 6
2010 - 15

OU
2006 - 9
2007 - 14
2008 - 6
2009 - 13
2010 - 7

Not sure what the average is there compared to other teams, but I suspect it's close to top 5 overall. If not, oh well. The point is that Richt has had better classes than Stoops (by the rankings anyway) and he has sucked balls in developing that talent.

Curly Bill
9/11/2011, 02:19 AM
You won't catch me defending Richt as a coach. I already said he's average at best.

EatLeadCommie
9/11/2011, 02:22 AM
But yes, you can argue that it isn't comparable to Texas, but the truth is (as we know from our recruiting classes) that there is not a whole lot of difference between #10 and #1

EatLeadCommie
9/11/2011, 02:23 AM
I said top 5 most years and shouldn't have...I meant that their average is up there.

olevetonahill
9/11/2011, 02:28 AM
Till THIS season he had LOST 36 Games
Won 90 something
Yea fire him
If Bob loses to Bye this week lets run him off also :chargrined:

sooner59
9/11/2011, 02:57 AM
High school recruiting = exact science!!!!!

EatLeadCommie
9/11/2011, 02:58 AM
not an exact science, but it's not like we don't worship our own recruiting rankings.

pphilfran
9/11/2011, 05:50 AM
Vince Dooley record at Georgia...201-77-10

Mark Richt record at Georgia...96-36

MountainOkie
9/11/2011, 05:57 AM
Vince Dooley record at Georgia...201-77-10

Mark Richt record at Georgia...96-36

Huh. Well I'll be... Looks like he's right on pace then.

badger
9/11/2011, 08:12 AM
Their decision will likely reflect the donor reaction to two loses in a row. Under no circumstances, barring NCAA crap, should Richt be fired midseason. Thus, he has the rest of the season to right the ship. Since he's only had one conference game so far I think he has a fair shot at his division still. We'll see. Definitely not fire him today.

soonerfromgeorgia
9/11/2011, 08:28 AM
UGA is 14-14 in their last 28 games and is on a 3 game losing streak.

The only 2 teams they have beaten in their last 7 games is Idaho St. and GT.

bluedogok
9/11/2011, 08:41 AM
With all the resources Texas has and to be no better than they are should embarrass any whorn fan, but most of em are clueless.
The same thing could pretty much been said every season since 1977, even Royal's final season (1976) was a 5-5-1 season with no bowl, his worst season.

Their decision will likely reflect the donor reaction to two loses in a row. Under no circumstances, barring NCAA crap, should Richt be fired midseason. Thus, he has the rest of the season to right the ship. Since he's only had one conference game so far I think he has a fair shot at his division still. We'll see. Definitely not fire him today.
I agree, end of season decision at the earliest. The only excuse for a mid-season firing in college football is a major incident that casts a pall over the entire team and school.

dvdcrr
9/11/2011, 08:56 AM
Mark Richt should not be fired. That Georgia club is well coached from what I can tell. If you think Boise and South Carolina are pushovers this year you are mistaken.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2011, 09:37 AM
If Georgia was Nebraska, they'd've pulled a Solich and fired him after going 10-3 in 2008.

badger
9/11/2011, 09:48 AM
One good reason to root against Georgia this season is the same reason to root against Va Tech last season: It is supposed to Boise's "WE BELONG!" win at the beginning of the season as they go through their schedule of mid-major creampuffs. When Va Tech fell to James Madison after Boise's big, signature win against Va Tech, it took away its credibility. Boise beating a mediocre Georgia team early-on does nothing for their strength of schedule, national level of respect, or hopes and dreams of competing for a national title.

Soonermagik
9/11/2011, 10:16 AM
Yes, his time is up. He's had a terrible 2-3 year run and deserves to be done. Georgia is in the SEC and has great tradition and solid facilities and they are always near the bottom. If I were the AD I may let him finish the year, because it's hard to find a new coach once the season has started. Let's face it, they don't want to have the team quit or put the new coach in a bad situation.

I think they should look really hard at Mark Stoops or Skip Holtz, either would be a better coach than Richt.

sooneredaco
9/11/2011, 11:19 AM
I don't really follow Bulldog football, but being about 70 miles or so fro
Atlanta and having the facilities and recruiting they've had, I don't see why they should be having this decline. Now as I understand it, graduation rates are up and I've heard that he's a good disciplinarian.

stoopified
9/11/2011, 11:22 AM
Yes

landrun
9/11/2011, 11:26 AM

Their class this year is pretty weak though. Worse class I've seen him pull in. Mostly 3 *** recruits.

Fraggle145
9/11/2011, 11:48 AM
Okay if you would fire him then who are the best candidates out there? Skip Holtz sounds good, Mark Stoops might be okay although I'm not sure hes super proven yet, Kirby Smart might be another one.

Who else is there?

LiveLaughLove
9/11/2011, 12:01 PM
I like Richt, but he is their Gary Gibbs. Good coach, but not great. Not excitable and that equates to the fan base thinking he is apathetic.

I hope he survives. He's a good man and was in Facing the Giants. Makes me like him quite a bit.

OUstud
9/11/2011, 12:10 PM
He isn't as bad as Gibbs. He's more like Ohio State's John Cooper.

meandmybutt
9/11/2011, 12:11 PM
I said top 5 most years and shouldn't have...I meant that their average is up there.

Looking at the rest of their schedule, I still expect them to win 8 games. If they win 7 or more, he probably stays. If they only win 6, he needs to go.

Fraggle145
9/11/2011, 12:15 PM
Looking at the rest of their schedule, I still expect them to win 8 games. If they win 7 or more, he probably stays. If they only win 6, he needs to go.

They could potentially win 8. But if they lost to UF and Tenn, what is that really worth?

The other thing is this year they have a mishmashed OL after spring and summer injuries. I dunno I am torn right now.

8timechamps
9/11/2011, 12:49 PM
I don't see 8 wins on their remaining schedule. At the most, I think they get 6 or possibly 7. Will that be enough to keep the fans calm for one more year?

Fraggle145
9/12/2011, 01:13 AM
So that's it? No suggestions for possible new/better coaches? I'm just not seeing who is better out there than Richt...

yankee
9/12/2011, 01:21 AM
I haven nothing to offer as far as better options than Richt (Leach? lolol)...but the man truly is a wonderful person by all accounts. But it's all about wins, and that's all that matters.

Fraggle145
9/12/2011, 01:35 AM
Kinda what I am thinking... Who is out there that is better?

Vegas Sooner
9/12/2011, 01:57 AM
....Who cares!!? Do you want UGA to get better???? Let their Ath. Dept. and Alumni deal with it; We have a proven winner.

Okie35
9/12/2011, 02:04 AM
It would be a step back for their program but if they're (boosters) unhappy go for it.

Fraggle145
9/12/2011, 02:40 AM
....Who cares!!? Do you want UGA to get better???? Let their Ath. Dept. and Alumni deal with it; We have a proven winner.

Well I'm just interested. I did my MS at UGA so they are my secondary team, my wife is from Georgia and a UGA grad, and its something else to talk about that is a hot storyline in cfb that isnt conference realignment.

GameWarden
9/12/2011, 06:42 AM
Well I'm just interested. I did my MS at UGA so they are my secondary team, my wife is from Georgia and a UGA grad, and its something else to talk about that is a hot storyline in cfb that isnt conference realignment.

UGA has great tradition. Ugly dog. You can't go against that.
I think you can probably stick a fork in Richt. However, at least Georgia's not facing probation right now.

marfacowboy
9/12/2011, 07:06 AM
This team, as many of his previous teams, is loaded with talent. My guess is they'll underperform, as did previous editions. They could finish fourth in the East, behind South Carolina, Florida and perhaps even Tennessee.
Although I've heard he's a decent enough guy and spends a ton of time helping others, I frankly lost respect for him after he allowed and watched his team to go jump up and down in the middle of the field on another team's logo. It was an unnecessary sign of disrespect you never would have seen back before the Miami thug days. I frankly can't stand Georgia. Whatever unwelcome fate befalls them suits me.

Fraggle145
9/12/2011, 11:04 AM
This team, as many of his previous teams, is loaded with talent. My guess is they'll underperform, as did previous editions. They could finish fourth in the East, behind South Carolina, Florida and perhaps even Tennessee.
Although I've heard he's a decent enough guy and spends a ton of time helping others, I frankly lost respect for him after he allowed and watched his team to go jump up and down in the middle of the field on another team's logo. It was an unnecessary sign of disrespect you never would have seen back before the Miami thug days. I frankly can't stand Georgia. Whatever unwelcome fate befalls them suits me.

It wasnt in the middle of the field on another teams logo. It was in the endzone that they just scored in. It had nothing to do with logo stomping.

And there is that adopting special needs kids thing.

badger
9/12/2011, 11:47 AM
So that's it? No suggestions for possible new/better coaches? I'm just not seeing who is better out there than Richt...

I am sure that Tommy Tubby wanted Auburn fans to believe that when they let him go and initially I agreed, there didn't seem to be anyone better that would be willing to go to Aubie, and Gene Cheese-It really wasn't a better coach then.

As it turns out, Auburn just needed someone that would ignore boosters a little better so that they could get Cammie on board quickly :D

So, what does Georgia need?

GENE CHIZIK!

Oh wait... they just extended him, didn't they? Well then, they need his also-reliable-for-booster-activity top assistant:

GUS!

Georgia's biggest problem seems to be that unlike other SEC schools, they cannot (pay uber amounts of money to) land top in-state recruits and close their borders to other states snapping up kids from Atlanta et al. This stifling approach has doomed coaches that used to recruit-grab across the borders like Fat Phil Fulmer in the past, and this will be what finally leads Georgia to (NCAA doom, or) the SEC/national championships that their rivals all seem to be enjoying around them. It also might hurt programs accustomed to Georgia state recruits.

Richt has shown that he can't get enough Georgia state loyalty to keep the best recruits from bolting to his SEC rivals. Perhaps (the boosters with the blessing and/or ignorance of) Gus Malzzzzzie will change that.

starclassic tama
9/12/2011, 11:36 PM
UGA has comparable recruiting classes to Texas. He is simply not a good head coach.6 10+ win seasons and he is simply not a good head coach?

GameWarden
9/13/2011, 04:41 AM
I am sure that Tommy Tubby wanted Auburn fans to believe that when they let him go and initially I agreed, there didn't seem to be anyone better that would be willing to go to Aubie, and Gene Cheese-It really wasn't a better coach then.

As it turns out, Auburn just needed someone that would ignore boosters a little better so that they could get Cammie on board quickly :D

So, what does Georgia need?

GENE CHIZIK!

Oh wait... they just extended him, didn't they? Well then, they need his also-reliable-for-booster-activity top assistant:

GUS!

Georgia's biggest problem seems to be that unlike other SEC schools, they cannot (pay uber amounts of money to) land top in-state recruits and close their borders to other states snapping up kids from Atlanta et al. This stifling approach has doomed coaches that used to recruit-grab across the borders like Fat Phil Fulmer in the past, and this will be what finally leads Georgia to (NCAA doom, or) the SEC/national championships that their rivals all seem to be enjoying around them. It also might hurt programs accustomed to Georgia state recruits.

Richt has shown that he can't get enough Georgia state loyalty to keep the best recruits from bolting to his SEC rivals. Perhaps (the boosters with the blessing and/or ignorance of) Gus Malzzzzzie will change that.

Excellent Anal ysis!!

Augusta_Sooner
9/13/2011, 07:52 AM
Kinda what I am thinking... Who is out there that is better?

Skip Holtz - S. Florida
Gus Mahlzan - OC Auburn
Manny Diaz - DC Texas (Former DC for Miss. St.)
Mike Stoops - 'Zona
Mike Leach - Would be very dangerous with SEC talent
Tommy Tubberville - T. Tech (Undefeated in '05) Got fired too quickly in my opinion
'Bama's DC - (Kirby Smart?)
Norm Chow - Just kidding
Kirk Ferentz - Iowa (Will never be a Big 10 contender on a consistent basis coaching at Iowa)
Chris Petersen - Boise St. (Don't think he'd leave for a pressure cooker like the SEC, but you don't know if you don't ask)

marfacowboy
9/13/2011, 08:04 AM
It wasnt in the middle of the field on another teams logo. It was in the endzone that they just scored in. It had nothing to do with logo stomping.

Not true. I was there and saw it. Believe that was 2001 in Neyland Stadium, and it was deliberate.

BigJerm7
9/13/2011, 10:04 AM
Willie Martinez approves this thread.

Fraggle145
9/13/2011, 11:53 AM
Not true. I was there and saw it. Believe that was 2001 in Neyland Stadium, and it was deliberate.

Right... you saw it... Except that it never happened. The closest other thing that I can think of was at Vandy in 2007 when they kicked a game winning field goal and were celebrating at midfield and Richt went out there and stopped them. He was shoving them off the logo etc...

Fraggle145
9/14/2011, 03:05 PM
Skip Holtz - S. Florida
Gus Mahlzan - OC Auburn I dont think they will go for another Offensive guy if the dump Richt since he was an offensive guy
Manny Diaz - DC Texas (Former DC for Miss. St.) to soon for him and too unproven I think
Mike Stoops - 'Zona I think it might be a good hire, but he's been too mediocre in the PAC12 even if it is Zona
Mike Leach - Would be very dangerous with SEC talent I agree, but again an offensive guy and a little to weird for them. Although the history of not having discipline problems would be a definite plus
Tommy Tubberville - T. Tech (Undefeated in '05) Got fired too quickly in my opinion That would be very interesting since was HC at Auburn and UGA and Auburn have a weird history with each other. And he's proven he can win in the SEC before.
'Bama's DC - (Kirby Smart?) I think he might be the best shot if they go the coordinator route.
Norm Chow - Just kidding
Kirk Ferentz - Iowa (Will never be a Big 10 contender on a consistent basis coaching at Iowa) Ya but Iowa will never get rid of him and there is something to be said for job security
Chris Petersen - Boise St. (Don't think he'd leave for a pressure cooker like the SEC, but you don't know if you don't ask) Would be a great hire, but I agree he is too much of a ***** to leave the WAC/MWC

:pop:

soonergirlNeugene
9/14/2011, 03:23 PM
It depends on how comfortable Georgia is with their performance. Richt will never have them at the perennial top 5 or even top 10 level. But lets just be honest, Georgia is not a perennial top 5 or top 10 program. They have 1 national championship in the modern era and they have Herschel Walker to thank for it. IMO, Georgia is generally the black eye of the SEC. A few years ago I remember regarding them as a team capable of coming up with the occasional notable upset, but they haven't even been able to deliver that much since Richt's first year or so.

OUInformant
9/14/2011, 08:24 PM
No way. Firing him would be stupid, stupid, stupid. It is hard enough to find a decent college football coach, nowadays, so why would you want to fire one as good as Coach Richt? It seems that every coach has their dry spells for a couple of years.

I think the school's administration simply needs to sit him down and have a conversation with him as to how they can all work together to bring Georgia back to national prominence. I mean, they recruit well every year, so there certainly is no dearth of talent in the program. They just need to re-structure themselves, so to speak. Maybe they just need a new coordinator or two to change things up. However, I can tell you that firing Coach Richt is a dumb idea because good HCs rarely come along.