PDA

View Full Version : ESPN pimping of Texas is sickening

MikeInNorman
9/10/2011, 09:33 PM
The BYU game might as well have been broadcast by LHN.

I take the following vow: unless the Oklahoma Sooners are playing on an ESPN channel, I will no longer watch ESPN.

Who's with me?

KBoomer11
9/10/2011, 09:45 PM
You mean the same ESPN who decided that they would follow OU for their all access show? Come on now let's don't be babies about it.

badger
9/10/2011, 09:50 PM
Tennessee ministers once encouraged a Disney boycott, including all Disney-owned entities. Rocky Top fans did not boycott ESPN's broadcast of the Vols that week :D

MikeInNorman
9/11/2011, 10:42 AM
That did sound like a call for an Aggyish BOYCOTT!!!! didn't it? Let me amend that thought thusly:

As long as ESPN is desperate to get somebody, anybody, to pick up carriage rights for the LHN, they are going to relentlessly pimp Texas 24/7. It is nauseating to watch, so for me, no more non-Sooner related ESPN watching until the pimping is through. For my heath, of course.

Given the popularity of the LHN so far, it may be a long time before I watch one of the millions of ESPN shows with random dudes yelling at each other over who should be the Jaguars' 3rd string QB.

bluedogok
9/11/2011, 12:11 PM
Evidently ESPN isn't desperate enough yet or else they would lower their price for carrying LHN to the point where at least the big cable companies in Texas would pick it up.

King Crimson
9/11/2011, 12:21 PM
ESPN has been trying to make UT the big marketing principle in the mid-south/southwest for a long time. if we didn't hang 60 on those assclowns a couple times and steal Chris Simms cup of tea more than once, it would be like this already.

we are hard to ignore when we keep winning.

we are against the grain: low population density, low media markets, bigtime hillbilly winning football.

Soonerfan88
9/11/2011, 12:24 PM
That did sound like a call for an Aggyish BOYCOTT!!!! didn't it? Let me amend that thought thusly:

As long as ESPN is desperate to get somebody, anybody, to pick up carriage rights for the LHN, they are going to relentlessly pimp Texas 24/7. It is nauseating to watch, so for me, no more non-Sooner related ESPN watching until the pimping is through. For my heath, of course.

Given the popularity of the LHN so far, it may be a long time before I watch one of the millions of ESPN shows with random dudes yelling at each other over who should be the Jaguars' 3rd string QB.

You may have to wait until next season. I've read several times in business journals that many of the largest carriers won't even talk to them yet because the entire ESPN contract is up early next year. They don't want to have a big battle over pricing of LHN now and then have to redo it in a few months. I also think the larger carriers are waiting to see how much demand it has before they move. The Big 10 network was around for over a year before it was available on my TW Sports tier.

8timechamps
9/11/2011, 12:25 PM
I watched most of the game (mostly because I wanted to see the whorns lose). There certainly was a lot of pro-texas commentary (mostly in the second half), but no more than games I've watched in the past. I guess when I watch a game on ESPN, I go into it expecting that kind of thing.

OklaPony
9/11/2011, 12:58 PM
At the very end of the game one of the announcers said "GREAT win for Texas!" They beat an unranked team at home by 1... yeah, great win there, boys.

clap clap clap

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2011, 01:35 PM
ESPN has been trying to make UT the big marketing principle in the mid-south/southwest for a long time. if we didn't hang 60 on those assclowns a couple times and steal Chris Simms cup of tea more than once, it would be like this already.

we are hard to ignore when we keep winning.

we are against the grain: low population density, low media markets, bigtime hillbilly winning football.Entertaining and accurate. Good football post for a hippie!

bluedogok
9/11/2011, 01:47 PM
At the very end of the game one of the announcers said "GREAT win for Texas!" They beat an unranked team at home by 1... yeah, great win there, boys.

clap clap clap
Compared to last season you could say it was....

MyT Oklahoma
9/11/2011, 02:17 PM
I watched the game and was not impressed. Not with BYU who choked. Not with * who came oh so close to starting another 5 and 7 season last night. Last but not least, not with ESPN. Their coverage was slanted and not worthy of neutral college football fans, of which I am not one.