PDA

View Full Version : This woman was going to fly her jet fighter into Flight 93 on 9/11

Ton Loc
9/9/2011, 09:56 AM
Even a decade later, there's still astonishing things we've never known about September 11th, 2001. Like that a woman fighter pilot was ready to knock Flight 93 out of the sky if it came toward Washington — using nothing but her own plane.

Lt. Heather Penney was one of the first two fighter pilots in the air from Andrews Air Force base outside Washington the morning of Sept. 11.

more here in the linky (http://jalopnik.com/5838696/this-woman-was-going-to-fly-her-jet-fighter-into-flight-93-on-911)

Crazy, but she's a bad ***.

BTW, all of this news about what really happend on that day is nuts. Apparently, Air Force 1 was warned about an unidentified plane within range of their plane.

They must be realeasing information as part of the 10 year anniversery.

CrimsonKel
9/9/2011, 10:27 AM
That was an interesting story.

I'm sure its no big secret but I'm a little disappointed that they revealed that there are only two armed fighters on standby at Andrews Air Force Base. I would have thought we'd have more than that.

KantoSooner
9/9/2011, 10:52 AM
Why are we just now hearing about this.

1. Because you are not carrying a security clearance. Or, if you happen to be security cleared, the other people watching the evening news and reading the papers tend not to be. Lots of stuff happens every day that will come to light either never or only decades from now. We elect officials and they hire people to take care of it for us. It's an indirect democratic system of government. It doesn't mean there's a conspiracy or that anyone is covering anything up.
2. it's not that remarkable. A fighter pilot was willing to sacrifice herself to protect her nation's capitol. Surprising? Really? These are people who are not selected for their willingness to accept defeat.

What is it that strikes you as unusual in discovering that lots of details about what happened that day haven't been ballyhooed?

jumperstop
9/9/2011, 11:00 AM
Meh, I hope most people in that position would do the same. Brave, but that's what soldiers do...Give their life for the benifit of others. Independence Day anyone?

Ton Loc
9/9/2011, 12:21 PM
1. Because you are not carrying a security clearance. Or, if you happen to be security cleared, the other people watching the evening news and reading the papers tend not to be. Lots of stuff happens every day that will come to light either never or only decades from now. We elect officials and they hire people to take care of it for us. It's an indirect democratic system of government. It doesn't mean there's a conspiracy or that anyone is covering anything up.
2. it's not that remarkable. A fighter pilot was willing to sacrifice herself to protect her nation's capitol. Surprising? Really? These are people who are not selected for their willingness to accept defeat.

What is it that strikes you as unusual in discovering that lots of details about what happened that day haven't been ballyhooed?

Just because you don't share my enthusiasm for the lady...

Also,

#1 Really, I didn't need the paragraph explaining security, government, and conspiracies. But good thing you jumped on it.
#2 No ****, I know they're there to do a job, and it happens to be a job where you risk your life most of the time. It is a cool story.

I was just throwing a cool story out there, maybe start a conversation. Jesus, sorry I gave off the impression I needed massive amounts of information marinated in a giant pot of sarcasm and slow roasted over open coals of dbagness. :cower:

C&CDean
9/9/2011, 01:09 PM
She sounds like a Bond girl.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/9/2011, 01:25 PM
Jesus, sorry I gave off the impression I needed massive amounts of information marinated in a giant pot of sarcism and slow roasted over open coals of dbagness.

Boom goes the dynamite. Pwned.

KantoSooner
9/9/2011, 02:24 PM
Just because you don't share my enthusiasm for the lady...

Also,

#1 Really, I didn't need the paragraph explaining security, government, and conspiracies. But good thing you jumped on it.
#2 No ****, I know they're there to do a job, and it happens to be a job where you risk your life most of the time. It is a cool story.

I was just throwing a cool story out there, maybe start a conversation. Jesus, sorry I gave off the impression I needed massive amounts of information marinated in a giant pot of sarcism and slow roasted over open coals of dbagness. :cower:

Sorry to have pissed you off. I saw yet another deep dark conspiracy theory thread beginning and wanted to nix it early.

I share your enthusiasm for what she was willing to do.

Sorry to have jumped the gun.

Have a nice weekend.

Pricetag
9/9/2011, 02:25 PM
If National Guard fighters are completely unarmed at all times, and take an hour to arm, how are they guarding anything? What are they, mall cops of the skies?

I just have a tough time believing that our military would be so short sighted.

OhU1
9/9/2011, 02:35 PM
I know a U.S. Air Marshall who maintains we shot flight 93 down (rather than the passengers heroically doing so). He claims his colleagues believe the same thing.

I'm not sure if this is just law enforcement cynicism and water cooler conspiracy talk or whether he knows anything the rest of us don't know.

Turd_Ferguson
9/9/2011, 02:59 PM
I know a U.S. Air Marshall who maintains we shot flight 93 down (rather than the passengers heroically doing so). He claims his colleagues believe the same thing.

I'm not sure if this is just law enforcement cynicism and water cooler conspiracy talk or whether he knows anything the rest of us don't know.I've wondered the same. However, I think between the Military, FAA and the NTSB, it couldn't have been kept secret for this long.

Breadburner
9/9/2011, 03:16 PM
I've wondered the same. However, I think between the Military, FAA and the NTSB, it couldn't have been kept secret for this long.

Not to metion the fact there were passengers in contact with loved ones on the ground stating what they were about to do..Storm the cockpit.....

MsProudSooner
9/9/2011, 03:22 PM
Not to metion the fact there were passengers in contact with loved ones on the ground stating what they were about to do..Storm the cockpit.....

One of the shows I've watched this week played a recording that the FAA was able to make because the 'pilot' hit the wrong key and left the mike open. You could hear the passengers ramming what I assume was the beverage cart against the cockpit door.

Also, they interviewed a male fighter pilot whose plane was unarmed. He said he would have one hand on the throttle and one hand on the ejection button and hope for the best.

Okla-homey
9/9/2011, 06:45 PM
The notion that 93 was shot down is bull****. Had it been, there would have been pieces spread all over that part of Pennsylvania. It would not have bored in at full power creating only a deep crater. Period.

MsProudSooner
9/9/2011, 10:26 PM
Speaking of Flight 93:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6935757/remembering-flight-93

Soonerfan88
9/9/2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks for posting that MsP, made my donation.

Pricetag
9/10/2011, 01:50 PM
The notion that 93 was shot down is bull****. Had it been, there would have been pieces spread all over that part of Pennsylvania. It would not have bored in at full power creating only a deep crater. Period.
Yeah, I changed my mind on that one for this reason and from hearing about the folks talking to their loved ones on the plane.

I suspected that we shot it down for a long time.

It was mainly because I don't like to think that it took us that long to get our **** together to have the capability to take out any more hijacked planes.

It was partly because I think we as a people really needed a story like the one that came out about the passengers of Flight 93, and also because if we had, I don't think the government would have had enough faith in us to tell us the truth.

perculator
9/11/2011, 07:41 AM

I'm not sure if this is just law enforcement cynicism and water cooler conspiracy talk or whether he knows anything the rest of us don't know.

Flight 93 landed in Cleveland. According to the ap at least