PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone in the Big XII Own A Freakin Globe?

PalmBeachSooner
9/8/2011, 02:43 PM
Do you realize that all but 4 current Pac-12 teams are on the west coast, two time zones away? The other 4 teams are one time zone away. What if the OU football team had to travel to UCLA one Saturday and Seattle the next weekend to play UW? That would suck! Aren't we talking a minimum of 4 trips per year to the left coast for OU while UCLA, for example, might only have to cross the Rockies once to play an Oklahoma team? That's a huge disadvantage to any former Big XII team that joins that conference, not to mention a huge financial and logitical burden. From a fan perspective, I'm not crazy about staying up 'til 10 PM CST to watch OU-Oregon St. Of course I would, but that's not the point.

When you factor in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball, golf, tennis, etc. the logistical and financial burden on an athletic department is multiplied a hundred-fold. For those teams, that would be 15 trips to the west coast every year. The situation would only be slightly better in the SEC. While OU and Texas could handle the financial burden how does TT, OSU and Baylor foot that bill? It seems to me a move to either conference would bankrupt those atheletic programs.

I know playing SEC or Pac-16 teams every week sounds fun and exciting but once the complexities set in it won't be so exciting.

If aTm wants to go let them. There are a lot of good programs that could join the Big XII to replace them. Just remember there is a lot more to this than just football. This is much more of a political-power struggle than anything else. It wouldn't surprise me one bit that once it is all said and done aTm is still part of the Big XII. My money is on a non-bevo dominated Big XII emerging after all of this posturing.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Thank you in advance for time and attention.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 02:57 PM
I personally did not give this thread any time or attention, so your thanks are not needed.

jumperstop
9/8/2011, 03:02 PM
There are a lot of good programs that could join the Big XII to replace them.

Explain this without mentioning Houston, SMU, TCU, AF, BYU......because those schools aren't good. The only reason they've has any success is because they just happen to be better than the rest of the ****ty teams in their conference.

LosAngelesSooner
9/8/2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah! Come play in Palm Beach! It's only a 30 minute commute!

waitaminute

JiminyChristmas
9/8/2011, 03:07 PM
I think everyone agrees that the best option was the Big XII as we once knew it. That ship has sailed and there is NO WAY to get it back to that level. Not gonna happen. There are not 3 schools in the geographic region of the Big XII that we can convince to join us who can replace the football tradition and/or national respect of NU, CU, and aTm. The closest you could come would be LSU, Arkansas, and Iowa. Never never never never gonna happen.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/8/2011, 03:14 PM
What ever happened to that thread for all things realignment?

bluedogok
9/8/2011, 03:18 PM
There are about 342 other threads discussing the same non-issue....the Big 12 is dysfunctional family and needs to die.

We didn't have trouble going to Boulder every other year in the Big 8 days and more than likely OU would be in an east division where most are one time zone away except for the Arizona schools which is 1 or 2 hours difference. More than likely it would only be one trip to the west coast a year (for football) for those few fans that actually travel to away games.

LosAngelesSooner
9/8/2011, 03:23 PM
I'll bet people in OK and TX will start clamoring for a national high speed rail system pretty soon, though. ;)

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2011, 04:04 PM
Do you realize that all but 4 current Pac-12 teams are on the west coast, two time zones away? The other 4 teams are one time zone away. What if the OU football team had to travel to UCLA one Saturday and Seattle the next weekend to play UW? That would suck! Aren't we talking a minimum of 4 trips per year to the left coast for OU while UCLA, for example, might only have to cross the Rockies once to play an Oklahoma team? That's a huge disadvantage to any former Big XII team that joins that conference, not to mention a huge financial and logitical burden. From a fan perspective, I'm not crazy about staying up 'til 10 PM CST to watch OU-Oregon St. Of course I would, but that's not the point.

When you factor in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball, golf, tennis, etc. the logistical and financial burden on an athletic department is multiplied a hundred-fold. For those teams, that would be 15 trips to the west coast every year. The situation would only be slightly better in the SEC. While OU and Texas could handle the financial burden how does TT, OSU and Baylor foot that bill? It seems to me a move to either conference would bankrupt those atheletic programs.

I know playing SEC or Pac-16 teams every week sounds fun and exciting but once the complexities set in it won't be so exciting.

If aTm wants to go let them. There are a lot of good programs that could join the Big XII to replace them. Just remember there is a lot more to this than just football. This is much more of a political-power struggle than anything else. It wouldn't surprise me one bit that once it is all said and done aTm is still part of the Big XII. My money is on a non-bevo dominated Big XII emerging after all of this posturing.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Thank you in advance for time and attention.
It will be more of a logistical problem for the other sports than football. We'll be in the eastern division of any Pac 16 conference, with two cross-divisional games which will alternate as home and away games, meaning we won't be traveling out to the west coast in consecutive weeks. Worst case is we have to travel to Arizona or ASU for a game one week (which is the west coast time zone but not the west coast) and then to one of the Pac 8 schools the next.

sooner KB
9/8/2011, 04:51 PM
What if the OU football team had to travel to UCLA one Saturday and Seattle the next weekend to play UW? That would suck!

OU would only play one game a season on the west coast (unless we made it to the Pac-16 Championship Game and it was on the west coast). If we play in Arizona in September or October that would be Pacific Time since they don't observe Daylight Savings Time. Basically, that is 1 Pacific Time Zone game with possibly another, depending on when we play the away Arizona school game.

Aren't we talking a minimum of 4 trips per year to the left coast

We are talking about 1, unless we have a conference championship game there.

Not to mention a huge financial and logitical burden.

Flying our team to away games is a "huge" financial burden for our football program? Are you kidding me? How is going on a plane (like we already do or did do with CU/ISU/Neb, etc) a "logistical nightmare"?

From a fan perspective, I'm not crazy about staying up 'til 10 PM CST to watch OU-Oregon St. Of course I would, but that's not the point.

Most of our games this season start at 7 pm. Nothing would change as far as game times. The only thing that would change would be less (if not any at all) 11 am starts. I kind of like this.

When you factor in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball, golf, tennis, etc. the logistical and financial burden on an athletic department is multiplied a hundred-fold. For those teams, that would be 15 trips to the west coast every year.

As others have pointed out in other threads, the basketball teams would be put into divisions where they are mostly playing eastern schools. The few west coast games we play could be played on week-ends. And once again, taking flights is not a huge financial burden.

While OU and Texas could handle the financial burden how does TT, OSU and Baylor foot that bill? It seems to me a move to either conference would bankrupt those atheletic programs.

If TT and OSU (who said Baylor was coming to the Pac?) thinks they will lose money by coming, then the solution is simple: don't come. But seriously, plane tickets won't come close to bankrupting anyone. Plane tickets are nickles and dimes with how much money these schools bring in for being in the Pac-16 with all the TV/Pac-16 network money.

trey
9/8/2011, 05:01 PM
KB with the KO

soonerborn45
9/8/2011, 05:10 PM
Explain this without mentioning Houston, SMU, TCU, AF, BYU......because those schools aren't good. The only reason they've has any success is because they just happen to be better than the rest of the ****ty teams in their conference.

I'm not standing up for Houston, SMU, AF, or TCU but BYU has been more successful as a program in the last 25 years than Texas A&M so that one would be a good one IMO.

SoonerNomad
9/8/2011, 05:16 PM
Actually, on my globe, it looks doable going to California and Washington and Oregon. It just doesn't seem that far.

XingTheRubicon
9/8/2011, 05:16 PM
do we have to take bathhouse team photos if we join...

also, Cal fans at Owen Field concession stands deciding between a Sooner dog and Sooner nachos will be fun to watch.

<jerseywearingsoonerfan> make up your mind, hippie <jerseywearingsoonerfan>

soonerboomer93
9/8/2011, 05:24 PM
I'm not standing up for Houston, SMU, AF, or TCU but BYU has been more successful as a program in the last 25 years than Texas A&M so that one would be a good one IMO.

And if BYU declines?

jumperstop
9/8/2011, 05:27 PM

I would only want BYU if we could get ND. Otherwise just adding BYU, despite them being slightly better than aTm historically, would just be a bandaid on the wound. And even though they may be better, aTm was overall more of a loss than BYU could make up alone. Add on top of that, that the Big 12 already lost Nebbish and CU, it's too much to build back in one step. Maybe if we had already added two teams to replace the others and it had been ten years, THEN aTm decided to leave we might have been able to build on that conference. Nothing can save it now....

jumperstop
9/8/2011, 05:29 PM
And if BYU declines?

Honestly what would make them want to join? With all the good teams about to bolt, they would be smart to stay where they are.

soonerborn45
9/8/2011, 05:34 PM
And if BYU declines?

Well the conference would be up a river of excrement in a Native American fishing vessel without any means of propulsion. Which they might already be.

SoonerMom2
9/8/2011, 05:36 PM
BYU doesn't play on Sunday so why would our other sports want them like basketball and baseball. They don't have a long storied history.

Breadburner
9/8/2011, 05:43 PM
I think some of the travel expenses are picked up by the Conference.....

soonerboomer93
9/8/2011, 05:55 PM
BYU doesn't play on Sunday so why would our other sports want them like basketball and baseball. They don't have a long storied history.

Basketball and baseball aren't worth 20+ million a year in tv revenue, I doubt they're worth that much to even the ACC schools. This is about football, other sports are a secondary consideration.

silverwheels
9/8/2011, 05:56 PM
TCU is moving to the Big East next year. That seems like a bigger deal travel-wise than OU moving to the Pac-12. Also, Colorado is closer to most Big 12 schools than Pac-12. No one talked about that.

Travel for the sports will be fine thanks to the revenues. TV times will be fine. It's the fans that will be screwed, although a lot of fans don't get to go to very many OU games at all as it is, home or away, so I don't see the big deal about that, either.

SoonerMom2
9/8/2011, 06:38 PM
This is one season ticket holder that cannot wait to see Oregon eventually come into Owen Field. Also cannot wait to start visiting schools in the west. We had a great time at the Fiesta Bowl and would love to go back when the weather is warmer. It was cold and we were not prepared. Even the stadium was cold.

Have two daughters who live in Denver and would love to renew the CO series -- my youngest daughter would be right there with us at the game.

Memtig14
9/8/2011, 08:00 PM
I'd rather go SEC and eat Okra than Pac? and eat quiche.

silverwheels
9/8/2011, 08:48 PM

That makes no sense but okay.

SCSooner71
9/8/2011, 08:55 PM
The person who wrote this is a Baylor alum...in disguise!

GottaHavePride
9/8/2011, 08:56 PM

Quiche is ****ing good. And Dean will back me up on that, and he's the most testosterone-loaded dude on this board. Instead of the word "quiche" think "scrambled egg, ham, and cheese PIE."

PAC has a better TV contract than SEC, a better academic rep, and - most importantly to Boren, Castiglion, and Stoops - a much less shady reputation conference-wide.

LASooner
9/8/2011, 09:31 PM
Do you realize that all but 4 current Pac-12 teams are on the west coast, two time zones away? The other 4 teams are one time zone away. What if the OU football team had to travel to UCLA one Saturday and Seattle the next weekend to play UW?

http://www.nps.gov/akr/wrbr/images/WRBR_375x180%20First%20Flight%20Dec%2017%201903.jp g

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldnkvhIriY1qb7svo.gif

Sooner_Tuf
9/8/2011, 09:36 PM
Does Anyone in the Big XII Own A Freakin Globe?

I think technology has advanced to the point that I believe it is highly unlikely that anyone in the Big XII is using a globe for navigation. If you are I'll bet you stand out in a crowd as much as you have here.

Sooner Cal
9/8/2011, 10:11 PM
Get over it. As Clinton said, change is your friend. You guys keep complaining about joining the PAC and people out here are going to think you're afraid of USC. I don't want to hear it.

Think smart. The Big 12 is most certainly finished. How can any of the schools trust the others now. And do you think anyone would be stupid enough to sign a long term agreement requiring they stay in the conference. Moreover, we can't get a descent school to join because everyone knows we are a dysfunctional league that is likely to implode.

Worst case, the move is delayed until after the 2012 season.

In 5 years there will be only 60-70 D1 teams. Schools can't afford to subsidize everyone. No school has a right to have a D1 program, they have to earn it.

Football Jim
9/8/2011, 10:35 PM
I realize teh overwhelming opinion is for the Sooners to go to the PAC 12....16 whatever but I am the loval opposition on this one. I cannot stand the PAC conference. OU stands for excellence and the PAC is anything but.
I hope things are worked out to stay in the center with a workable revamped Big 12 (I know...that ship has sailed...) or in the Big 10 or SEC.
Gators,Tigers and Tide are way better than Beavers, Huskies and Ducks. Plus I do own a globe and agree with the original post. Sending the girls softball team across the Rocky Mountains to play most of their conf. games two time zones away is stupid. Mens basketball flying all winter across the Rocky Mountains for most of their away games is a joke as well.

bluedogok
9/8/2011, 10:37 PM
I think technology has advanced to the point that I believe it is highly unlikely that anyone in the Big XII is using a globe for navigation. If you are I'll bet you stand out in a crowd as much as you have here.
Maybe they use a newfangled gadget like a sextant......

silverwheels
9/8/2011, 10:39 PM
If we're not in the Big 12, travel is going to be a joke regardless. Sure, it's more of a joke in the Pac-12 than the SEC or Big Ten, but then you're just splitting hairs. And the Pac-12 is what Boren wants because of their academic prowess, particularly the California schools, Washington, and Colorado. Big Ten has no interest in OU as far as I know and Boren has no interest in the SEC.

The Ghost of Mex
9/8/2011, 11:00 PM
http://www.collectionhall.com/images/D/TexasUIC461.gif
:bsmf:^^^Beebe owns this one, I think...

the-rover
9/8/2011, 11:19 PM
It's only a couple inches on my globe

Memtig14
9/8/2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah! Come play in Palm Beach! It's only a 30 minute commute!

waitaminute

which makes it about a mile and a half by car?

LosAngelesSooner
9/9/2011, 01:02 AM
I cannot stand the PAC conference. OU stands for excellence and the PAC is anything but.
Care to even try to explain this statement? Or are you just letting your emotions make your brain dizzy?

GottaHavePride
9/9/2011, 07:47 AM
Care to even try to explain this statement? Or are you just letting your emotions make your brain dizzy?

He, like many other people in this discussion, is wearing a full set of "ZOMG FOOSBAWL IS TEH ONLY THING WHUT MATTERS!" blinders.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/9/2011, 08:34 AM
They make these things now called airplanes, they get you there really fast, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Also, I am getting tired about hearing about playing 9pm games. First all, what are you doing Sunday that you can't stay up and secondly, there are 9pm games in the Big XII now...see A&M and OSU. Most of the games will start at the 2:30/7:00pm time frame. It would be nice to get rid of most of the 11:00am starts.

I Am Right
9/9/2011, 10:12 AM
The Fans will be the LAST ones to be asked about this.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/9/2011, 11:23 AM
The Fans will be the LAST ones to be asked about this.

Yet both Nebraska and aTm took the time to reach out to their fans and alumni and gague interest in their respective moves.

I think it would be prudent for OU to do the same... just in case reaction from the mere plebes isn't necessarily as they anticipated from on high.

PrideMom
9/9/2011, 12:18 PM
No Big XII basketball tournies in Kansas City, no baseball at the Brick, the cities will loose a lot of money, too. Biggest mistake was not filling in when Nebraska and Colorado left. Poor decisions all around......

silverwheels
9/9/2011, 12:24 PM
Biggest mistake was letting Nebraska and Colorado leave in the first place.

oudivesherpa
9/9/2011, 03:50 PM
I'll bet people in OK and TX will start clamoring for a national high speed rail system pretty soon, though. ;)

With a High speed train we can get to Lubbock in 3 hours.:fat:

delhalew
9/9/2011, 03:59 PM
Yet both Nebraska and aTm took the time to reach out to their fans and alumni and gague interest in their respective moves.

I think it would be prudent for OU to do the same... just in case reaction from the mere plebes isn't necessarily as they anticipated from on high.

That would be wise.

PalmBeachSooner
9/9/2011, 04:19 PM
As others have pointed out in other threads, the basketball teams would be put into divisions where they are mostly playing eastern schools. The few west coast games we play could be played on week-ends. And once again, taking flights is not a huge financial burden.

This is not true. Football is the only sport that has divisions. This is because the other sports have conference tournaments to determine its champion. In basketball, for example, OU plays every team in the conference twice, one at home and one away. So we are talking 15 trips out west in the Pac-16 for most other sports. I don't care what anyone says, that is much harder to do than travelling north and south.

Why does everyone inisist on only looking at this from football's perspective?

In the end it will all come down to money. Teams will do whatever is in their best interest financially.

LosAngelesSooner
9/9/2011, 04:55 PM
That would be wise.Two possible replies: 1) I could come back with the point that it seems most people would prefer to be in the PAC or 2) I could let you think the SEC is the conference of choice and then point out how usually the mass public are morons and have no idea of the nuances involved in a business decision of this magnitude and are only going to oversimplify things an concentrate on football instead of everything else that's involved.

Hmmm...decisions decisions...

delhalew
9/9/2011, 05:01 PM
Two possible replies: 1) I could come back with the point that it seems most people would prefer to be in the PAC or 2) I could let you think the SEC is the conference of choice and then point out how usually the mass public are morons and have no idea of the nuances involved in a business decision of this magnitude and are only going to oversimplify things an concentrate on football instead of everything else that's involved.

Hmmm...decisions decisions...

Unlike you, I don't need it to be all about what I want. If we are misguided enough to head out west, so be it.

I simply think it would be wise to find out were your fans stand on the issue.

Not surprisingly, neither option at hand would have any effect on me or the conversation.

LosAngelesSooner
9/9/2011, 05:10 PM
It's NOT about what YOU want? Really?

Because your only argument so far has been "It's about the football!!!!!!!!!" and not once have you considered any of the other sports, the financial ties, the scholarships, the job opportunities for graduates or the scholastics in general. In fact, you've looked down your nose at anyone who is concerned about our UNIVERSITY's academics and THEN turned around and accused other people of being elitist.

Sooner_Havok
9/9/2011, 05:31 PM

I know, its like a certain group of people only want to look at this from a football perspective, and the completely ignore other reasons for moving conferences, like aligning with more high profile academic institutions.

SEC SEC!

Soonerfan88
9/9/2011, 05:48 PM
This is not true. Football is the only sport that has divisions. This is because the other sports have conference tournaments to determine its champion. In basketball, for example, OU plays every team in the conference twice, one at home and one away. So we are talking 15 trips out west in the Pac-16 for most other sports. I don't care what anyone says, that is much harder to do than travelling north and south.

In the end it will all come down to money. Teams will do whatever is in their best interest financially.

In the Big 12, the basketball team played others in their division twice and teams in the other division only once, switching venues every year.

I can see this being hardest on the baseball/softball players. I'm sure they already miss plenty of class due to the multi-day road trips.

Sooner_Havok
9/9/2011, 05:52 PM
In the Big 12, the basketball team played others in their division twice and teams in the other division only once, switching venues every year.

I can see this being hardest on the baseball/softball players. I'm sure they already miss plenty of class due to the multi-day road trips.

They generally only miss one day for road trips. Most are Friday-Saturday-Sunday series. They leave Thursday after class, play Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, then come home. Kind of the main reason adding BYU would seriously screw over those particular student athletes.

MeMyself&Me
9/9/2011, 05:54 PM

Just because divisions haven't been done in the past, doesn't mean that they can't do it that way in the future. The point is that IF travel for the other sports really was a problem, there IS an easy solution.

I Am Right
9/9/2011, 06:11 PM
Doesn't matter, what the mob wants the mob gets.

GottaHavePride
9/9/2011, 06:38 PM
Doesn't matter, what the mob wants the mob gets.

If by "what the mob wants" you mean "what Boren, Castiglione, and the Board of Regents think is best for the University's interests", then you're right.

brian
9/9/2011, 08:59 PM
any post on this topic that uses the term "left coast" instantly loses credibility