PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sooner of All Time

KantoSooner
9/8/2011, 01:36 PM
In the same vein as loving Barry as 'The King', would you agree or disagree that Billy 'Boomah!' Sims is the greatest living Sooner? The man just personifies crazy happiness. And he even makes barbecue sauce! And he used to have mind-bending parties on Grand Lake.

bigfatjerk
9/8/2011, 01:57 PM
It's still Lee Roy Selmon. He exemplifies the perfect person you want to come from your school and be an alumnis of OU and a former football player at your school. He was an amazing player, but an even more amazing person. Just read everything that has come out about him the last week.

CrimsonCommando
9/8/2011, 02:11 PM
The title of the "Greatest Sooner" player has always been and always will be Lee Roy Selmon. Think that people used to put bumper stickers on their car thanking his mother. I love Billy Simms, but he's had some issues here and there with child-support payments, which detracts from the greatest of all time moniker.

KantoSooner
9/8/2011, 02:24 PM
I can go with that reasoning. Any other ideas?

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 02:37 PM
Well, other than LRS, I would think Tommy McDonald would be one...

It still amazes me that Lee Roy was that dominant back then at 240. He'd be a skinny Mike backer now.

zeptrey
9/8/2011, 02:38 PM
Clendon Thomas

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/8/2011, 03:06 PM
looking into the future...maybe Sam could be up pretty high on this list

oudanny
9/8/2011, 03:15 PM
For me, the greatest Sooner player will always be Leroy. But the greatest living Sooner for me is Joe Washington. He hasn't drawn attention to himself the way Billy Sims has, but he was a great player on the field and has been equally great off of the field.

MyT Oklahoma
9/8/2011, 05:58 PM
Billy Vessels, Jimmy Harris, and Jack Mildren all deserve mention IMO. However, everybody has their favorite Sooner.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/8/2011, 06:20 PM
Joe Washington is the greatest overall Sooner in my opinion. I'm not a fair judge of players before the 60s though.

En_Fuego
9/8/2011, 06:32 PM
R.I.P Lee Roy

For me it's Greg Pruitt. I remember as a kid practicing the option pitch with my friends. "Pruitt can Do it"

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee313/maxcadylives/1002_large.jpg

qwQ_JDElmcw

Football Jim
9/8/2011, 10:42 PM
There have been so many.... wow.... Lee Roy, Greg Pruitt.
It is hard to say because OU doesn't put losers on the field EVER!

hawaii 5-0
9/8/2011, 11:07 PM
I love the 'glide' of Greg Pruitt, the elusiveness of Little Joe, the stride of Billy Sims, I gotta go with Lee Roy Selmon.

5-0

Fraggle145
9/8/2011, 11:10 PM
Well, other than LRS, I would think Tommy McDonald would be one...

It still amazes me that Lee Roy was that dominant back then at 240. He'd be a skinny Mike backer now.

+1

sooner59
9/9/2011, 01:06 AM
All time? Lee Roy Selmon. Done. Living now? Little Joe or Pruitt. Bradford maybe in 20 years or so. AD has done a lot with kids in Norman and is very active in coming back and doing things for OU. He might give Sam a run in the future. Hell, as just a "Sooner", Blake Griffin with probably prove worth in the future. If Heupel ever ends up as the head coach in OU, any success at all, he will be the frontrunner. Waymon will always be up there for me as well. But overall, I find it really hard for anyone to top Lee Roy Selmon as a player and as a person.

Memtig14
9/9/2011, 01:22 AM
I agree that everyone has their own favorite....and there has been so many great ones.

But it was a huge deal when Jack Mildren came to OU. We had some great running backs but if Jack hadn't been who he was and able to do the things he did we might not have come out of the dark days of the late '60s like we did. Kind of like Josh helping to kick start us out of the '90s.

Jack was just such a super player and representative for us.

hawaii 5-0
9/9/2011, 02:12 AM
I agree that everyone has their own favorite....and there has been so many great ones.

But it was a huge deal when Jack Mildren came to OU. We had some great running backs but if Jack hadn't been who he was and able to do the things he did we might not have come out of the dark days of the late '60s like we did. Kind of like Josh helping to kick start us out of the '90s.

Jack was just such a super player and representative for us.

If you throw out Jack Mildren I'll counter with Bob Warmack.

5-0

Sooner_Tuf
9/9/2011, 02:20 AM
I think is to many to select just one. But since you are making pick one I'll go ahead and pick myself.

BoomerJoeDon
9/9/2011, 02:48 AM
I agree with all the above, but you have to mention JC Watts, Dewey Selmon.

swardboy
9/9/2011, 05:38 AM
I wish I could have seen Billy Vessels play. Basically abandoned on the streets of Cleveland, OK....to the Heisman.

70sooner
9/9/2011, 06:33 AM
For me it's Greg Pruitt. I remember as a kid practicing the option pitch with my friends. "Pruitt can Do it"

loved his t-shirt he wore around campus with 'Hello' on the front and 'Goodbye' on the back.

Little Joe, quiet and reserved, but the guy could cut on a dime and give you .09 in change.

still, Jack Mildren, aka, the Godfather or the Godfather of the Wishbone, will always have a spot in my heart, as will Lee Roy.

Too many good Sooners, both alive and gone. Hard to pick.....

AlbqSooner
9/9/2011, 07:15 AM

Things were different at that time. Mike Vaughn was referred to as USS Vaughn because he was soooooo much bigger than everyone else. He played at 275.

Greatest Sooner discussions have to include Bob Kalsu.

Mississippi Sooner
9/9/2011, 07:18 AM
I'll go off the rails a bit here and say Dr. George Cross. Without his vision, the OU football monster might have never been born.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2011, 07:20 AM
I remember when Tony Dor-set changed* the pronunciation of his name to Dor-SETT, Greg said he should be called Greg Pru-ETT.

*he may have just been clarifying, but it was made a big deal at the time.

KantoSooner
9/9/2011, 08:20 AM
What about during the dark years of the 1990's? It takes a special kind of person to excel when all others around you are wallowing. The zen greatness of Demond?

stoopified
9/9/2011, 09:20 AM
Thetitle said greatest of akktime,your post said greatest living ,make up your mind.All-time IS LeeRoy Selmon,no doubtGreayest living? My vote would go to Little Joe BUT there are a whole slew of quality candidates.

JLEW1818
9/9/2011, 09:52 AM
Romar

Memtig14
9/9/2011, 11:54 AM
If you throw out Jack Mildren I'll counter with Bob Warmack.

5-0

Bobby Warmack...........another great call.

The Maestro
9/9/2011, 12:22 PM
If it is the greatest of all time why does it matter if they are living or not?

That said, Jay Stuckey.