PDA

View Full Version : OU Lowers Boom On *

tfoolry
9/8/2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/07/3345246/sooners-finally-lower-the-boom.html

Sooners finally lower the boom

When do the Longhorn jokes start?

Got a $300 million network, except there's one thing missing.

TV stations.

As a college power broker, Bevo has the biggest biceps in the land.

Except a Sooner stepped up and flexed up this week, asking the Longhorn, "your guns or mine?"

The Longhorn quickly changed into a long-sleeve shirt.

The unraveling of what once was a rather proud Big 12 Conference is not a happy time, yet, I've got to admit, with each breaking news day, comes a chuckle.

When Texas A&M made the decision it no longer wanted to be tied to Bevo's tail, without a doubt there was an orchestrated Aggie joke campaign coming from the vicinity of Austin.

The cry-baby Aggies have cut-and-run. Run right into the busy SEC intersection, where they will die a slow 5-and-7 death for ever more in football.

Nobody leaves Mother Bevo, not in this state, and lives to tell about it.

And, oh, by the way, sniffed Bevo. We just won't play the Aggies anymore, either.

Then on Wednesday, the biggest conference houseboy for the Longhorns, those Baylor Bears, was among several Bevo Nine schools (Iowa State also admitted it) that refused to sign a legal waiver with the SEC over A&M leaving, meaning a delay for now in the Aggies and the SEC making it official.

Hmmm. Nearly 20 years ago, when the Bears were waving bye-bye, did TCU sue Baylor? Did SMU? Rice? Houston?

Baylor, playing the weasel here after coming off its finest football hour in like 40 years, has constantly cried out to daddy, Daddy DeLoss in Austin, to save it from an uncertain fate should the staggering Big 12 finally crumble. But this latest move is real sad and real cheap, although if you dust for fingerprints it'd be interesting to see who is spurring on poor Baylor.

It was just last Friday when there was no problem from Baylor or any other Bevo Nine school over the Aggies leaving. In fact, those schools told us the Bevo boys would soldier on, better than ever, without the dirty Aggies.

What changed all of a sudden? Easy answer. The University of Oklahoma finally spoke up, that's what changed.

No one can blame the University of Texas for having power and using power. That's what people with power do. They use it.

Except be careful who you continue to push around.

Or as the "owner" of Oklahoma State, Mr. T. Boone Pickens, said the other day, and I paraphrase, it's hard to keep saying "aaaaah" when it's constantly being shoved down your throat.

Right or wrong, the Aggies see leaving for the SEC as a great alternative to being used as another of the Longhorns many patsies in the remnants of the conference that was ruled by Daddy DeLoss in Austin.

Still, the Aggies couldn't bring Texas to its knees.

No one around here could, with the exception of ...

Hello, Norman.

I'll be darn, after 15 months of me constantly asking, "where are the Sooners in all this?" the Boomers suddenly spoke up and dropped a boom heard 'round the land.

Is that you, Mr. Dodds, now down there on bended knee?

Since the first go-around a summer ago, when the Big 12 appeared to be dead, Oklahoma had remained strangely quiet, seemingly tied to the Longhorns in an unmanly kind of way.

Don't know if the Sooners had a plan all along, or suddenly had just had enough, but when the Okie words started flying over the weekend, it was a direct hit right to the Bevo gut. It panicked everybody, especially Baylor.

The big dagger came Tuesday from coach Bob Stoops, and I don't think for a second that he meant it, but he did say that if Oklahoma moves along to the Pac-12, and if Texas isn't involved in the move, then the annual Red River crossing may not happen again in Dallas.

If not, Stoops countered-punched, then it's no big deal. Boom, boom go the Sooners. (But watch it, Bob. Baylor may sue you next.)

Oklahoma, the message implied, is going, Oklahoma State is coming along, and, good luck, Longhorns with whatever you decide to do.

Texas, of course, would go to the Pac-12 in a hurry, and were going that way a year ago until Texas A&M balked at the move, destroying the exit, but the Longhorns now have an additional problem.

The Pac-12 won't accept the Longhorn Network under its current programming of all UT stuff all the time. Bring in Texas Tech and call it a regional network, or even include Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in the regional concept, and that's acceptable to the Pac-12 by-laws. Except ...

Not so sure ESPN had Lubbock or Norman or Stillwater in mind when it agreed to the $300 mil deal with DeLoss.

But what Oklahoma has pulled is the ultimate power play. They have out-bicep-ed the Longhorn muscle.

Your choice, Bevo. You can stay with OU, or stay with your network? DeLoss Dodds, the Horns' AD, no longer drives the bus. Bob Stoops does. As the Sooners talk tough, DeLoss hasn't even been heard from lately. The dying conference is no longer the Bevo Nine. It's the Boomer Nine. Only Oklahoma can save it. Does Oklahoma want to save it?

Longhorn bluster once centered on a third option -- going independent, a la Notre Dame.

Two words on that bluster: No way. Way too many headaches involved.

The Sooners, meanwhile, waited and waited to flex up, waited so long I was wondering if they had gone toothless up there.

But then they dropped the boomer over the weekend, and did it again this week. Well played, Oklahoma.

Except for the fact Texas A&M is long gone to the SEC, and Baylor can't stop that with a frivolous legal play, no one knows how this eventually ends.

But this we do know at the moment:

The joke's on you, Bevo.

deweydw
9/8/2011, 11:22 AM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/64/12064/26011.jpg

zeptrey
9/8/2011, 11:22 AM
Good article. I kind of want us to step back and play it cool now. Just show them what could happen if they continue with all this BS. We run the show now in the Big 12 lets keep it as long as possible. It is way easy for us to make championship runs now in the current league configuration. Even if we add a couple of other teams ala BYU..etc. We run the show.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/8/2011, 11:23 AM
I remember Randy last year when all this was going on, asking why OU was being so quiet.

tfoolry
9/8/2011, 11:25 AM
Okieflyer posted this article in another thread earlier but the article is so good, it deserves its own thread.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 11:25 AM
Galloway wrote this?

Well, I'll be dayum'd.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 11:28 AM

I loved that moment. Bob can be absolutely catty in his nuance.

I'd be pleased if this ends up being his statue in front of MemSta.

budbarrybob
9/8/2011, 11:35 AM
Wow.

cccasooner2
9/8/2011, 11:45 AM
The name DeLoss fits for Austin.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/8/2011, 11:57 AM
as has been said in several threads.

Good to Have David Boren as prez

Good to be A Sooner

The Maestro
9/8/2011, 12:10 PM
I feel dirty enjoying a Randy Galloway article...

70sooner
9/8/2011, 12:27 PM
as has been said in several threads.

Good to Have David Boren as prez

Good to be A Sooner

Boren, Castiglione, Stoops= the best trio in those postitions in America.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/8/2011, 12:57 PM
Boren, Castiglione, Stoops= the best trio in those postitions in America.

not only that, but seem they see each other in that light too. the chemistry is a big part of the success.

bmjlr
9/8/2011, 02:01 PM

Never gets old seeing this pic! BOOMER!!

SoonerMarkVA
9/8/2011, 02:07 PM
But watch it, Bob. Baylor may sue you next.

LOL!

Given the incredibly low bar, there can be no doubt this is Galloway's best piece yet.

Cantstandya
9/8/2011, 02:24 PM
I feel dirty enjoying a Randy Galloway article...
Agreed... It's as if I could hear his whistling woodies as I read the article...