PDA

View Full Version : What should I have said?

CowboyMRW
9/8/2011, 10:13 AM
Checking out in Walmart the other day and The cashier asked the woman in line ahead of me if she would like to donate $1 to help needy children. The woman's response "Hell no, who's donating to help ME out!" prior to producing a WIC card. It took everything I had to not laugh at this lady.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:15 AM
You should have shut up and given her a dollar. Obviously the woman is in need.

You cretin.

CowboyMRW
9/8/2011, 10:21 AM
That's the thing though. She wasn't.

I'm sorry but if someone pulls out an IPhone 4, has perfectly manicured nails, and goes out to a cadillac car, then I don't think they are in need

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:22 AM
You're just insensitive. She needs that dollar more than you do. To feed her massive belly and massive kids.

jumperstop
9/8/2011, 10:22 AM
Bitch should have just said "No thank you." People who curse in public usually lose a little of my respect. I know hell isn't bad, but I try to talk to everyone like my grandmother.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:25 AM
My grandmother taught me how to say "crap" effectively.

CowboyMRW
9/8/2011, 10:40 AM
I think what's getting lost is the fact that she was unwilling to help others out because no one was "supposedly" helping her out, when in fact she had a WIC card. So obviously she had help

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:44 AM
No, we get this. You are on a Sooner board. And the board for raging about people on the dole is ObamaFest. This is the board where we take your story and make light of it with witty banter.

But yes, she was a moron.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 10:53 AM
Okay, I absolutely get the point and she was being a mouthbreather. WIC is actually a program where you do get stuff given to you.

However, it really doesn't tie that much into income, it is primarily intended to support the health of a child and its mother, especially in high-risk scenarios. At least, that's the way I understood it when we used WIC 20+ years ago and weren't impoverished.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:55 AM
So how does one qualify for it? And how does it work?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/8/2011, 10:58 AM
It ties directly into income, regardless of what it used to be. From the federal WIC site...

Mission is to support low-income women and children up to age 5 who are at nutritional risk...

At least they're honest with it.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 11:11 AM
I was an E-6 in the Navy, Mama was going to nursing school, we had two in diapers.

Each State has different scales to determine eligibility by income, we lived in South Carolina at the time.

``````````````````````

From the Fed website:

Applicants must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:

Categorical
Residential
Income
Nutrition Risk

Categorical Requirement

The WIC Program is designed to serve certain categories of women, infants, and children. Therefore, the following individuals are considered categorically eligible for WIC:

Women
-- pregnant (during pregnancy and up to 6 weeks
after the birth of an infant or the end of the
pregnancy)
-- postpartum (up to six months after the birth of
the infant or the end of the pregnancy)
-- breastfeeding (up to the infant's first birthday)

Infants
(up to the infant's first birthday)

Children
(up to the child's fifth birthday)

Residential Requirement

Applicants must live in the State in which they apply. Applicants served in areas where WIC is administered by an Indian Tribal Organization (ITO) must meet residency requirements established by the ITO. At State agency option, applicants may be required to live in a local service area and apply at a WIC clinic that serves that area. Applicants are not required to live in the State or local service area for a certain amount of time in order to meet the WIC residency requirement.
Income Requirement

To be eligible for WIC, applicants must have income at or below an income level or standard set by the State agency or be determined automatically income-eligible based on participation in certain programs.

Income Standard
The State agency's income standard must be between 100 percent of the Federal poverty guidelines (issued each year by the Department of Health and Human Services), but cannot be more than 185 percent of the Federal poverty income guidelines. (http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapply/incomeguidelines.htm)

Automatic Income Eligibility
Certain applicants can be determined income-eligible for WIC based on their participation in certain programs. These included individuals:

-- eligible to receive SNAP benefits, Medicaid, for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, formerly known as AFDC, Aid to Families with Dependent Children),

-- in which certain family members are eligible to receive Medicaid or TANF, or

-- at State agency option, individuals that are eligible to participate in certain other State-administered programs.

Nutrition Risk Requirement

Applicants must be seen by a health professional such as a physician, nurse, or nutritionist who must determine whether the individual is at nutrition risk. In many cases, this is done in the WIC clinic at no cost to the applicant. However, this information can be obtained from another health professional such as the applicant's physician.

"Nutrition risk" means that an individual has medical-based or dietary-based conditions. Examples of medical-based conditions include anemia (low blood levels), underweight, or history of poor pregnancy outcome. A dietary-based condition includes, for example, a poor diet.

At a minimum, the applicant's height and weight must be measured and bloodwork taken to check for anemia.

An applicant must have at least one of the medical or dietary conditions on the State's list of WIC nutrition risk criteria.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 11:16 AM
So how does one qualify for it? And how does it work?

To elaborate some more, WIC provides certain nutritional items for the mother and children. These are "paid" for by the WIC card, separate from the purchaser's other groceries.

These WIC items include:

milk
cereal
beans
formula
cheese

We received 30 cans of formula each month, plus milk, beans, cheese. Although a military E-6 in 1988 wasn't exactly poor, it was a nice benefit to have, especially the formula, while my ex went to nursing school. Once she became an RN and I was promoted, we didn't follow-up on renewing our benefits.

badger
9/8/2011, 11:29 AM
Back in my cashiering days during college summers, I surprisingly found that those that seemed less well off were the ones that had the least sympathy with us minimum wagers.

It was the tax-exempters that looked like they just rolled out of bed to appear in public that were the most rude, the most abrasive, the most demanding.

Be nice to your cashiers. Their $7/hour arses can make your lives more miserable than they already are. Examples:

1- Calling for help that they know will never arrive, just to make you wait.

2- Calling the manager that they know will say "no."

3- Going slower. Yes, it is possible for us slowpoke cashiers to take even more of your precious minutes away.

4- Making a mistake on purpose. No, I cannot correct it. You will need to go to the returns desk for a refund. Sorry.

Did I do all of these things? No (with the exception of the manager one, that was so too easy) of course not. I'm not bitter and I'm only seasonal anyway. But those that are stuck in that job year-round? They were doing all of that and more.

sappstuf
9/8/2011, 11:34 AM
Checking out in Walmart the other day and The cashier asked the woman in line ahead of me if she would like to donate $1 to help needy children. The woman's response "Hell no, who's donating to help ME out!" prior to producing a WIC card. It took everything I had to not laugh at this lady.

She blew it... A better response would have been: What have children ever done for me?

Sooner Mommy
9/8/2011, 11:42 AM
Blink. "You're welcome." Blink blink.

And I work for the WIC program.

rekamrettuB
9/8/2011, 11:51 AM
That's the thing though. She wasn't.

I'm sorry but if someone pulls out an IPhone 4, has perfectly manicured nails, and goes out to a cadillac car, then I don't think they are in need

You followed her out to her car? Sicko.

Frozen Sooner
9/8/2011, 12:21 PM
Bitch should have just said "No thank you." People who curse in public usually lose a little of my respect. I know hell isn't bad, but I try to talk to everyone like my grandmother.

Cognitive dissonance right there...

Wishboned
9/8/2011, 12:56 PM
What you should have said was, "Mrs. Gundy, can I carry your groceries out to your car?"

Partial Qualifier
9/8/2011, 01:06 PM
I'd politely get her attention, "Excuse me, Miss?" then when she looked at me I'd make my eyes real big and stick my tongue out and go "LALALALALALALALAAA WOO WOOO!!!!!!!" over and over until she finally made her way out the door.

Turd_Ferguson
9/8/2011, 01:13 PM
I'd politely get her attention, "Excuse me, Miss?" then when she looked at me I'd make my eyes real big and stick my tongue out and go "LALALALALALALALAAA WOO WOOO!!!!!!!" over and over until she finally made her way out the door.That's pretty similar to what Otha Armstrong used to do to me until I would give him the key's to my truck so he could go buy some weed:biggrin:

TUSooner
9/8/2011, 01:18 PM
This is why it's so very hard to be a "good" person. You're taught to help the less fortunate, and you want to, and you try to. Then you meet an ungrateful howler like WIC-lady and all you really want to do is pack them into boxcars and send them far away.

Yes, if not for Sunday school and a great family, I'd probbaly be a Nazi.

Turd_Ferguson
9/8/2011, 01:25 PM
This is why it's so very hard to be a "good" person. You're taught to help the less fortunate, and you want to, and you try to. Then you meet an ungrateful howler like WIC-lady and all you really want to do is pack them into boxcars and send them far away.

Yes, if not for Sunday school and a great family, I'd probbaly be a Nazi.Do you own a pair of Jack Boots?

AlbqSooner
9/9/2011, 06:42 AM
Hope he doesn't wear Jill boots in public.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/9/2011, 07:44 AM
Jill boots are hot.

PACK ZEM IN ZE BOX CARS, JA!?

cleller
9/9/2011, 08:20 AM
Just read a story in the Wall Street Journal that said 47% of Americans receive some type of benefit from the government. Obviously, this includes a bunch of old folks on Social Security, kids on free lunches, but nearly HALF the population? Just seems worrisome.

Earlier they had run an op-ed piece about housing vouchers. It pointed out that in some areas in New England, Hawaii, people were getting up to $2800/month toward section 8 housing. More than a senior NCO retiree from the armed forces makes.

Sooner_Tuf
9/9/2011, 11:09 AM
Several months ago the GAO said that only about half of the households had a taxpayer living in them. That more than half of all households had one or more people receiving a federal check each month. It didn't address how many are getting money from the state.

3rdgensooner
9/9/2011, 11:16 AM
Why say anything at all?

TUSooner
9/9/2011, 12:13 PM
Speaking of Jill boots.... Who decided that cowboy boots were proper to wear with dresses, skirts, or shorts? Is that some sort of sorority hazing thing? Or just a way of showing that you have no fear of ridicule? At best you look like a "Kilgore Rangerette" and at worst you look like a dorky skank (to put it as nicely as possible). This is especially true for guys. Stop it; it's ugly.

:)

olevetonahill
9/9/2011, 12:32 PM
Speaking of Jill boots.... Who decided that cowboy boots were proper to wear with dresses, skirts, or shorts? Is that some sort of sorority hazing thing? Or just a way of showing that you have no fear of ridicule? At best you look like a "Kilgore Rangerette" and at worst you look like a dorky skank (to put it as nicely as possible). This is especially true for guys. Stop it; it's ugly.

:)

I NEVER wear My Cowboy boots with a Dress nor a Skirt , Now Shorts or in the Nude on the other hand

Tulsa_Fireman
9/9/2011, 01:24 PM
It's an issue of traction.

It's science.

OutlandTrophy
9/9/2011, 03:13 PM
That's pretty similar to what Otha Armstrong used to do to me until I would give him the key's to my truck so he could go buy some weed:biggrin:

You never should have showed him where Switzer lived. :(

salth2o
9/9/2011, 03:20 PM
I NEVER wear My Cowboy boots with a Dress nor a Skirt , Now Shorts or in the Nude on the other hand

NOT a visual that I needed right now! :D