PDA

View Full Version : Jones vs. Weeden

SOONER44EVER
9/8/2011, 02:54 AM
Check out these stats:

Player Team Comp. Att. % Yds. avg. TD int. sacks ydg. rating

Brandon Weeden Oklahoma State 24 39 61.5 388 9.9 3 3 1 -6 155.1

Landry Jones Oklahoma 35 47 74.5 375 8.0 1 0 0 0 148.5

How is Weeden ranked 5 places ahead of Jones when Weeden had 3 ints and Jones had none? I guess tds and avg. count a lot and lack ints. and pct. don't count much. Hmmmm?

SCSooner71
9/8/2011, 03:43 AM
Jones>Weeden that is all.

Emil
9/8/2011, 03:48 AM
You forgot to factor in age.

cleller
9/8/2011, 06:57 AM
Points for looking like a geriatric Howdy Doody?

OUbasketball4life
9/8/2011, 07:06 AM
Weeden has more TDs than Jones 3 to 1...that's about the only thing I see that Weeden has over Jones to date.

Okie35
9/8/2011, 07:13 AM
Weeden has more TDs than Jones 3 to 1...that's about the only thing I see that Weeden has over Jones to date.

He also has 1 int over Landry's none.

Peach Fuzz
9/8/2011, 07:15 AM

And obvs. age. Fire crotch? No soul?

thecrimsoncrusader
9/8/2011, 07:17 AM
Blackmon makes Weeden look a lot better than he actually is with his insane wingspan and great hands that can catch just about any bad pass.

WE ARE dirtburglars
9/8/2011, 07:37 AM
I had this same issue last year when Weeden was picked over Jones for every conference honor and such. Landry had more yards, more touchdowns, higher completion percentage, and less interceptions while also beating Weedens team head to head (on Weedens home field), yet Weeden got all the accolades? Total BS.

Widescreen
9/8/2011, 07:50 AM
He also has 1 int over Landry's none.
He actually has 3 INT's to Landry's none.

kevpks
9/8/2011, 07:51 AM
Big XII QBs
1. Jones
2. RGIII
3. Weeden
10. Gilbert (just had to throw that in)

Okie35
9/8/2011, 08:20 AM
He actually has 3 INT's to Landry's none.

He threw 3 of them? haha

Big XII QBs
1. Jones
2. RGIII
3. Weeden
10. Gilbert (just had to throw that in)

RGIII is super inconsistent.

TheresOnlyOne
9/8/2011, 08:20 AM
I really think the whole baseball player being able to come back thing is really kinda ridiculous and should be done away with. It's just insane that a 27 year old can come back and play. I know when I was 27 going to high school football games and such that I would watch and be like "man, Id give anything to go out there and play those kids". It's the same thing.

Okie35
9/8/2011, 08:22 AM
I really think the whole baseball player being able to come back thing is really kinda ridiculous and should be done away with. It's just insane that a 27 year old can come back and play. I know when I was 27 going to high school football games and such that I would watch and be like "man, Id give anything to go out there and play those kids". It's the same thing.

If you're still eligible to play in college why not walk on?

badger
9/8/2011, 08:30 AM
All of you really need to hop on vBookie for the OSU/Az event. It outlines everything that went wrong with OSU last week.

- Old Man Weeden not only threw 3 INTs, but two of them were pick 6's.
- Biletnikoff Award winner Blackmon had no TD catches for the first time in 12 games.
- One of Weeden's pick 6's, which doinked off an OSU helmet, was on Sportscenter's Top Ten.
- They had exactly 666 yards of offense. That has to be a bad sign.
-They gave up 34 points to U-La-La. At home.

TheresOnlyOne
9/8/2011, 08:30 AM
I'm all for the feel good story of the DIII team having a 47 year old walk-on. But 27??? If he has any ability, then he should try and get an invite to a training camp. Not playing with guys that are 6-7 years younger than him. An athlete is reaching his prime in the late 20's, early 30's.

LVSOONER15
9/8/2011, 09:13 AM
This

LVSOONER15
9/8/2011, 09:14 AM
Jones>Weeden that is all.

This

rekamrettuB
9/8/2011, 09:25 AM
How is Weeden ranked 5 places ahead of Jones when Weeden had 3 ints and Jones had none? I guess tds and avg. count a lot and lack ints. and pct. don't count much. Hmmmm?

Avg yards per pass is a big factor. If Weeden threw the ball 47 times he would have ended with 465 yards at that avg. Doesn't make much sense because if you asked anybody with some knowledge which QB stats you would rather have, everybody would see 75% completion, 47 attempts, zero INTs.

Hot Rod
9/8/2011, 09:34 AM
They gave up 34 points to U-La-La. At home.

Yeah, and this is why Arizona has a chance to win tonight's game.

MiccoMacey
9/8/2011, 11:35 AM
1)Buttermaker hit it on the head...yards/attempt is the big difference.

Although, I don't think the PE rating system does justice when looking at interceptions. Those are drive and momentum killers. Plus, coaches will tell you the #1 stat they look at is turnovers. So you'd think interceptions would be higher. Especially for ones returned for a TD.

SoonerNomad
9/8/2011, 11:36 AM
I've never understood those quarterback ratings. A guy can have five incompletions and have a "perfect" rating. Are you telling me if all those five incompletions went for 80 yard TD's he couldn't have a higher rating than "perfect." Dumb system. Three interceptions, with two going the other way, should be enough to significantly overcome your high rating.

oumartin
9/8/2011, 11:41 AM
Had Jones thrown two pick 6's people would be calling for him to be benched and how he isn't any good. People still think Weeden is the second coming of Teb.....er.....Jesus Christ. Heck, isn't Weeden older than Jesus?

Bourbon St Sooner
9/8/2011, 11:45 AM

Weeden actually has 5 TDs, but 2 were to the wrong team.

rekamrettuB
9/8/2011, 11:47 AM
Heck, isn't Weeden older than Jesus?

Well now you're just being silly. He is older than James tho.

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2011, 11:59 AM
Weeden is 7 years older, so his QB rating should be 7 points higher. Makes sense to me.

SoonerAtKU
9/8/2011, 12:01 PM
I've never understood those quarterback ratings. A guy can have five incompletions and have a "perfect" rating. Are you telling me if all those five incompletions went for 80 yard TD's he couldn't have a higher rating than "perfect." Dumb system. Three interceptions, with two going the other way, should be enough to significantly overcome your high rating.

That's only the pro version. The college one doesn't technically have a ceiling, IIRC. I think the pro system is designed to take into account that a QB doesn't have to complete every one of his passes to have a "perfect" game, as that is fairly unrealistic.

Edit: turns out I'm wrong. There's no hard limit in the college formula, but functionally, an actual perfect score would be 1261.6 if every attempt was completed for a 99 yard TD. The lower limit would be -731.6 if every attempt was a completed pass that lost 99 yards. Fun.

boomerborn79
9/8/2011, 12:25 PM
Jones smokes weeden.. Just saying

PrideMom
9/8/2011, 12:35 PM
OU with Jones DID beat OSU/Weeden last year---nuff said

SCxxSOONER
9/8/2011, 01:23 PM
Landry played pretty well, but i felt like the coaches kept the offense pretty basic. I don't think they wanted to show too much to FSU before the game. As for Weeden hes a good qb, but 3 ints against a mediocre opponent says alot more than the 3 tds in my opinion

Breadburner
9/8/2011, 01:25 PM
One game folks....

picasso
9/8/2011, 01:26 PM
Weeden is very good. Gundy and the Pokes won the lottery when that dude knocked on Gundy's door.
That being said, he's really just a sophomore. I expect him to have some trouble on the road.

sperry
9/8/2011, 01:27 PM
Avg yards per pass is a big factor. If Weeden threw the ball 47 times he would have ended with 465 yards at that avg. Doesn't make much sense because if you asked anybody with some knowledge which QB stats you would rather have, everybody would see 75% completion, 47 attempts, zero INTs.

It's basically the only thing that matters, which makes passer rating an almost completely worthless stat.

fadada1
9/8/2011, 01:47 PM
have always thought the same thing. same deal with weinke at fsu (and winning the heisman). the maturity level between 20 and 27 is dramatic (to say the least). i'm all for playing professional baseball out of high school, BUT for every year you play, you should lose a year of eligibility (for any sport) when you come back to college. military - no loss of eligibility.

badger
9/8/2011, 02:37 PM
Weeden is very good. Gundy and the Pokes won the lottery when that dude knocked on Gundy's door.
That being said, he's really just a sophomore. I expect him to have some trouble on the road.

The crazy part is the Gundy didn't even recognize Old Man's talent... third string behind a guy who has since transferred and an injured Zac Robinson!

He started as a walk-on and had his schooling paid for by baseball... but, I guess after we hit the walk-on lottery with Whaley we really can't complain :D

Breadburner
9/8/2011, 02:49 PM
He didnt recognize Blackmons either.....

jumperstop
9/8/2011, 03:13 PM

You still went to high school games at 27? I don't plan on going to a high school game again until I have kids that are on the team/band/cheer squad. And even then maybe not. The football isn't good for watching anyways.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/8/2011, 05:22 PM
because the college quarterback passer rating is completely ridiculous and everyone realizes it is a worthless stat