PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M waiver solution

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 07:30 PM
A&M wants schools to waive potential legal recourse.. for free!! If they offered each school a nice sum of money they might be more obliged to cooperate. Im sure A&M has thought of this, but prefers to get something for nothing.

The problem is they have until Thursday to close the deal before the big 12 waiver expires.

Frozen Sooner
9/7/2011, 07:34 PM
That's actually something that has been bugging me about the whole deal. A waiver without mutual consideration wouldn't be enforceable anyhow, and I haven't seen what A&M is offering for the waiver.

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 07:44 PM
That's actually something that has been bugging me about the whole deal. A waiver without mutual consideration wouldn't be enforceable anyhow, and I haven't seen what A&M is offering for the waiver.

I guess they are doing it as an attempt to thwart any thought of litigation. You're probably correct about mutual consideration. Heck, A&M just wants to pacify the SEC and get this over with. I just don't see why Baylor, Iowa State etc.. would ever give up such a potential benefit and get nothing in return.

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 07:46 PM
The problem is, aTm's athletic dept is in the red. I don't think they have anything to offer financially. I'm assuming they'll be even more in the red due to giving up conference revenue this year.

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 07:58 PM
The problem is, aTm's athletic dept is in the red. I don't think they have anything to offer financially. I'm assuming they'll be even more in the red due to giving up conference revenue this year.

Surely they have a donor, cash reserves, can take a loan etc..

Frozen Sooner
9/7/2011, 08:00 PM
Sorry, I misspoke. The consideration would naturally flow from the SEC, though A&M could also offer it. Doesn't need to be a large amount of money, or money at all, just giving up a legal right of some sort.

mehip
9/7/2011, 08:05 PM
This might just be the opening of negotiation. But, it seems a bit slow considering how tight the time-lines are.