PDA

View Full Version : what happens? hypothetical???

ouwino
9/7/2011, 06:54 PM
all this talk of super conferences, 16 teams in a conference. 4 of them. suppose we wake up in 3 years and these exist. that is 64 teams involved in these super conferences. could happen!???!

but what happens to independents???? notre dame has refused over and over again to join a conference. i dont see them doing so. texas, is talking independent. and byu is a new indy. what happens if these 4 super conferences get impatient and go ahead and form without these 3 teams.

obviously they would each play each other. but what about the rest of their schedule? how are they gonna get enough teams from these 4 super conferences to want to play them. heck, if OU winds up in the pac 16 as expected, and there is only 1 week available for an out of conference game, i dont think there is any way we would want to jeopardize our bcs chances by taking on a tough game. i would think everyone would want to open with a weak out of conference foe.?????

so in texas case, one could foresee them playing byu, ND, smu, baylor, texas elpaso, houston, rice, north texas state, army, louisianna lafayette, and another nobody. even if they went undefeated, there is no way they should be on the same field in a bowl game with one of the 4 super conference champs. no way.

just me thinking out loud. this is all so confusing. just wish it would get over with and OU would make their announcement in the next couple of days.

and i already have the recruiting sales pitch for bob and the boys, if the above scenerio takes place...
suppose you are a young stud high school football player out of texas. suppose you are being recruited by the likes of texas and texas a&m. now suppose bob stoops gives you the following pitch... "son, we really want you to come to norman to play ball. i see you are being recruited by the horns and the aggies. both very fine teams and universities. however, let's talk football. if you sign with the aggies, you will be playing road games in places like little rock, oxford, baton rouge. if you sign with the horns, you will be playing in places like waco, el paso, and lafayette. if you sign with oklahoma, we're going to hollywood baby!"

MountainOkie
9/7/2011, 07:02 PM
I would think, in your hypothetical, that they would find some way to shoehorn ND and ut into the conferences and that they would want to go.

I mean you're basically creating a new division with the 64 teams and ND and ut would not want to miss out on the premier football championship for college football. College football would also not want to lose ND's history.

ouwino
9/7/2011, 07:16 PM
i understand what you are saying, and you are probably correct. however, one can also see where, if the sec and the pac 12 get to 16 teams, and the money becomes unimaginable, the big 10, acc, big east, and others, would be falling all over themselves trying to get up to the magic 16 number. and if ND and TX, and BYU drag their feet, just a little, they could be left out.

like i said, i just want it to go away. what OU needs is stability. that is not possible right now in the big 12 -2-1.

oh, just thought of another question... it has been said that baylor is blocking the aggies move to sec. but it has also been said that on july 1, 2012, the aggies will NOT be in the big 12 even if they are not in the sec. so??? can aggies be and indy for one year, then get in the sec???

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 10:26 PM
Who ever said that teams will be playing only 1 non-conference game in a 16-team conference? Most have assumed that with the Pac-16 for instance, that we would play the other 7 division teams, and play 2 teams from the other division each year. What makes you automatically assume we would have to play 4 cross-division games? There are a lot of reasons why schools like their out-of-conference games. I doubt schools would agree to a system where they only got 1 non-conference game.

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 10:29 PM
i understand what you are saying, and you are probably correct. however, one can also see where, if the sec and the pac 12 get to 16 teams, and the money becomes unimaginable, the big 10, acc, big east, and others, would be falling all over themselves trying to get up to the magic 16 number. and if ND and TX, and BYU drag their feet, just a little, they could be left out.

If one of those teams got left out initially, the above poster is basically saying they could still get let in. A conference could kick out Baylor and add Texas, or whatever.

oh, just thought of another question... it has been said that baylor is blocking the aggies move to sec. but it has also been said that on july 1, 2012, the aggies will NOT be in the big 12 even if they are not in the sec. so??? can aggies be and indy for one year, then get in the sec???

Yes, the aggies could be independent for a year, which would be funny.

hawaii 5-0
9/7/2011, 10:30 PM
Are you implying.......Playoff ????

5-0

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 10:30 PM
Dean Blevins just said on Channel 10/9 that Baylor had backed down and that A&M is going to the SEC.

He also said BYU would consider the Big 12 if OU stays. Also someone in the OU Administration (Catigleone?) doesn't want to leave the Big 12. ND and AR said NO! OU will make their decision before TX decides.

Why would we want another religious school especially BYU who doesn't play on Sunday in any sport so we would all have to bow to them and their schedule?