PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M Can Move if Oklahoma Commits to the Big XII?

sooner2be3
9/7/2011, 06:27 PM
Seriously? Can anyone commit to the Big XII right now? It is toxic. I refuse to believe the University of Oklahoma is going to be dictated to by the Texas legislature. I'm ready to jump out of spite. Where does Stoops want to go?

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 07:10 PM
When I heard that I had a hard time believing the other schools would be that dumb to tell Boren this. That is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. The arrogance of the other schools to think they can back OU into a corner to stay in a conference that is severely weakened is amazing. Their answer to bring in two more TX schools is a total non-starter. Why keep a school that wants out? It does nothing for your conference.

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2011, 07:15 PM
But what if Prez Boren all along wanted to keep the BigXII together? aTm already thinks this has been his strategy, explaining his announcement last Friday.

Waco paper:

Baylor was among six Big 12 schools that will not sign a waiver to allow Texas A&M to go to the Southeastern Conference following a meeting of the Big 12 presidents Wednesday afternoon, a source close to Baylor told the Tribune-Herald. The other schools were Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Iowa State and Missouri.
If Oklahoma reaffirms its commitment to the Big 12, the schools are expected to sign the waiver that would allow the Aggies to go to the SEC without any legal action. The Sooners, who are reportedly considering a move to the Pac-12, are expected to make their decision within the next two weeks.

SoonerPride
9/7/2011, 07:17 PM
When I heard that I had a hard time believing the other schools would be that dumb to tell Boren this. That is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. The arrogance of the other schools to think they can back OU into a corner to stay in a conference that is severely weakened is amazing. Their answer to bring in two more TX schools is a total non-starter. Why keep a school that wants out? It does nothing for your conference.

Yea I thought the same thing.

"hmmm I know! Let's let A&M leave by forcing OU to stay in a sinking ship. Yea, that's just brilliant!"

Are you effing kidding me?

Boren would laugh in their face.

If nothing else, I imagine this stunt will force our exit SOONER (pun intended) rather than later.

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 07:19 PM
The uglier this thing gets.....the more desperate OU would look to jump ship and lose even more bargaining power in talks. Unless last Friday's comments were meant to stir something up we would've been better off by remaining silent. I still think the BIG12-3+1(or 3) is better than most of the "greener pasture" fans think......especially since no one can accurately predict all of the 2nd and 3rd order effects of the formation of supers.

SoonerPride
9/7/2011, 07:20 PM
The uglier this thing gets.....the more desperate OU would look to jump ship and lose even more bargaining power in talks. Unless last Friday's comments were meant to stir something up we would've been better off by remaining silent. I still think the BIG12-3+1(or 3) is better than most of the "greener pasture" fans think......especially since no one can accurately predict all of the 2nd and 3rd order effects of the formation of supers.

If OU stays put in a 9 team league then OU looks incredibly weak.

You got it backwards IMHO.

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 07:25 PM
OU would be seen as weak to give into such demands. Plus, why would OU stay in a run downed conference? OU has to do what is best for OU, not what's best for Texas, Baylor or Iowa State. Let's grab little brother and bolt West.

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 07:26 PM
weak how? did we lose our AQ status or ability to schedule good OOC like FSU?

The perception of OU by a bunch of folks on the BBS should not drive the decision making process. All options should be planned for including staying in the BIG12.

BaylorGuy314
9/7/2011, 07:28 PM
I think this was misread. No one is painting OU in a corner.

They are basically saying that if OU stays, then it's a sign that the conference leaders (OU and UT) are willing to stabilize it (probably by adding at least one). And because of that stability, the other schools will sign waivers that the SEC is free from liability.

If OU decides it still wants to go to the PAC, then other schools are not going to necessarily sign their waivers. That doesn't mean that A&M couldn't still go to the SEC (if they want them) but that the other schools could potential threaten litigation which is, realistically, unlikely to happen.

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 07:36 PM
I'm not big on keeping aTm against their wishes (once exit fees agreed upon) but I wouldn't sign a freaking waiver nor would I expect any university to lack the internal controls such as regent approval of litigation waivers.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/7/2011, 07:37 PM
I can't see Boren lubing up is ***hole and grabbing his ankles for the benefit of Baylor.

That's kinda like big sis ****ing the cop to keep little brother out of jail.

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 07:39 PM
weak how? did we lose our AQ status or ability to schedule good OOC like FSU?

The perception of OU by a bunch of folks on the BBS should not drive the decision making process. All options should be planned for including staying in the BIG12.

Because OU already stated their intentions. They slammed the conference in public and said losing a Nebraska and A&M are hard to replace. Texas wants to keep the Big 12 together for the $300 million dollar network. Hence, they would be doing the status quo and helping Texas and not OU that = weak. This is why Boren said OU won't be a wallflower in all of this.

OU needs to go West and be done with the cancer that is Texas. Texas started this with the LHN and trying to air High School games on tv. OU can go dominate the PAC 12 and schedule Texas out of conference.

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 07:50 PM
OU stated that they were talking. Big deal. Also, Texas is not a "cancer". They get one vote and play by the rules set by the conference. Beat them on the field and it wont matter. That's why OU didn't bail like CU and UNL.

SoonerMarkVA
9/7/2011, 07:51 PM
Because OU already stated their intentions. They slammed the conference in public and said losing a Nebraska and A&M are hard to replace. Texas wants to keep the Big 12 together for the $300 million dollar network. Hence, they would be doing the status quo and helping Texas and not OU that = weak. This is why Boren said OU won't be a wallflower in all of this.

OU needs to go West and be done with the cancer that is Texas. Texas started this with the LHN and trying to air High School games on tv. OU can go dominate the PAC 12 and schedule Texas out of conference.

Or not, if they go Indy.

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 07:53 PM
OU is the only school to agree to sign a waiver for A&M and the next move was to say the other schools won't sign unless OU agrees to commit to the Big 12? I wouldn't wanted to have been in David Boren's office when that call ended. I cannot fathom what he had to say.

UT is behind this and it shows who OSU is behind -- UT since they wouldn't agree to sign the waiver either.

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 07:55 PM
OU stated that they were talking. Big deal. Also, Texas is not a "cancer". They get one vote and play by the rules set by the conference. Beat them on the field and it wont matter. That's why OU didn't bail like CU and UNL.

Play by the rules... lol. They were trying to air high school games. Colt McCoy's wife said players took $ from boosters. These guys have no intention of playing by the rules.

Even if Texas goes Indy OU can still schedule them OOC.

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 07:57 PM
OU is the only school to agree to sign a waiver for A&M and the next move was to say the other schools won't sign unless OU agrees to commit to the Big 12? I wouldn't wanted to have been in David Boren's office when that call ended. I cannot fathom what he had to say.

UT is behind this and it shows who OSU is behind -- UT since they wouldn't agree to sign the waiver either.

This is because OU is dead serious about leaving. Texas has decided it wants to stay, because no one will take them and the LHN!

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 07:57 PM
No....they announced their plans to air HS games. Once determined it was against NCAA rules they stopped.

Sooner_Tuf
9/7/2011, 07:58 PM
A&M is crying they are being held hostage. What they aren't saying is what they are being held hostage by. They are being held hostage by the contracts they signed.

OUNASH
9/7/2011, 07:58 PM

Texas greed is the "Cancer" or this whole mess would have never started. I say OU and OsU tell the rest of the Big 12 members to stick it. Why would OU want to stay on a sinking ship. I pray we dont stay in the Big XII-3.

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 08:00 PM
Why would OU want to stay on a sinking ship. I pray we dont stay in the Big XII-3.

pray all you want...eliminating options to make posters happy is not the business of these decision makers. thank god

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 08:01 PM
No....they announced their plans to air HS games. Once determined it was against NCAA rules they stopped.

Yeah, they knew it wouldn't fly, but it didn't stop them from trying. Care to address Colt McCoy's wife's comments? These guys have as much integrity as your local felon.

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 08:08 PM
Care to address Colt McCoy's wife's comments?

No, I don't have to....when the NCAA or someone else finds enough facts to corroborate them maybe it will be an issue.

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 08:20 PM
No, I don't have to....when the NCAA or someone else finds enough facts to corroborate them maybe it will be an issue.

Still proves my point about their integrity. Why would she make that up?

SoonerPride
9/7/2011, 08:32 PM
So what if OU/*/osu/tech leave for the PAC 12, but since none of the remaining schools will waive their right to litigate with the SEC the SEC drops their invite and A&M has to stay in the conference with Baylor, KSU Iowa State and Missouri?

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 08:38 PM
This comes from Dean Blevins on Twitter just now:

Good 2 c report of TT threatening legal ax against any1 untrue.#TT should b silent,thank #OU, #UT & hope a #Pac12 re-shaped LNetwrk deal = $

SoonerPride
9/7/2011, 08:41 PM

Good 2 c report of TT threatening legal ax against any1 untrue.#TT should b silent,thank #OU, #UT & hope a #Pac12 re-shaped LNetwrk deal = $

If that's what I'm missing on Twitter, then I guess I'm not missing anything.

Care to decipher that gibberish?

I don't get that at all.

Frozen Sooner
9/7/2011, 08:43 PM
That's more Dean-o's fault than Twitter's

Good to see the report of Texas Tech threatening legal action against anyone untrue. Tech should be silent, thank OU (ed: how do you thank someone while remaining silent?) and hope for a reshaped network deal from the Pac-12 that would mean money.

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 08:46 PM
Other than the fact I hate Twitter and rarely use it -- you have to type in gibberish because they only allow so many words. I sign on to see what the sports people are saying and this is Blevins translated: Good to see report of TT suing anyone untrue. TT should be silent,thank OU, UT & hope a Pac12 re-shaped Longhorn Network deal = dollars.

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 08:47 PM
Frozen Sooner -- you were fast!

Frozen Sooner
9/7/2011, 08:49 PM
Frozen Sooner -- you were fast!
I get that from the ladies a lot.

OUNASH
9/7/2011, 08:50 PM
pray all you want...eliminating options to make posters happy is not the business of these decision makers. thank god

Dont care if they make me happy. Just want this nightmare to be over minus Texas. The decision makers job is to do the right thing for the univeristy and I belive Mr. Boren will do just that. For you to imply that Texas was not the Cancer was wrong on your part.

BudSooner
9/7/2011, 09:02 PM
This just gets sillier and sillier.

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 09:06 PM
Ken Starr at Baylor looks to be behind this and included TT, but they immediately said they are not involved. Someone from Baylor leaked that about OU and it is not true. Various sites are saying Starr is doing this on his own which would not shock me if true.

OU official denies report that Big 12 schools want Sooners to commit to league

BY TRAVIS HANEY, Staff Writer, [email protected] Oklahoman Published: September 7, 2011

NORMAN — A report Wednesday in a Texas newspaper said six Big 12 schools would not sign a waiver to allow Texas A&M to go to the SEC unless Oklahoma committed to staying in the weakened conference.

If that report is true, it is news to Oklahoma — which would seem odd, given the precarious position in which the school would occupy.

“I haven't heard anything about this ‘group of 6,'” an OU official said late Wednesday afternoon.

“A source close to Baylor” told the Waco Tribune-Herald that the schools were Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Iowa State and Missouri.

Multiple reports out of Lubbock immediately said Texas Tech was not involved.

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-official-denies-report-that-big-12-schools-want-sooners-to-commit-to-league/article/3602031#ixzz1XK2yV3EZ

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 09:07 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSoo
once again the ball is back in our court. And our ole' pal whorn would really like us to stay in the conference because its virtually the only way they can be in a regionally sensible conference that also allows them to keep LWN.

Whorn...one question... YOU JUST GOT A CONTRACT FOR 300MM...WHATS IN IT FOR THE SOONERS?

So good to be a Sooner tonight. Sleep well whorn, and you other kids, we'll call ya

Jdog
9/7/2011, 09:07 PM
They are airing then, just not live.

Jdog
9/7/2011, 09:11 PM
Agreed!!!!

finster
9/7/2011, 09:12 PM
Let's grab the pokes and split,We don't have a dog in this fight.
http://i53.tinypic.com/14spkyg.jpg

bluedogok
9/7/2011, 09:13 PM
That's more Dean-o's fault than Twitter's

Good to see the report of Texas Tech threatening legal action against anyone untrue. Tech should be silent, thank OU (ed: how do you thank someone while remaining silent?) and hope for a reshaped network deal from the Pac-12 that would mean money.

Like the Ron White joke, "they told me that I had the right to remain silent, unfortunately I lacked the ability to remain silent". Some of these big wigs seem to have that same problem even when they know better. Some of the Tech people certainly seemed to have that problem at times last year with Leach.

Jdog
9/7/2011, 09:18 PM
No it's blackmail (but in Texas they call it chess). I love it, tejas U wants the big 12 to stay together so they can keep their ESPN deal and Baylor wants to keep it together so they can beat their chest and pretend that there a BCS team.

Jdog
9/7/2011, 09:21 PM
No it's blackmail (but in Texas they call it chess). I love it, tejas U wants the big 12 to stay together so they can keep their ESPN deal and Baylor wants to keep it together so they can beat their chest and pretend that there a BCS team.. Sorry but this was meant to include sic'em post above.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 09:21 PM
No it's blackmail (but in Texas they call it chess). I love it, tejas U wants the big 12 to stay together so they can keep their ESPN deal and Baylor wants to keep it together so they can beat their chest and pretend that there a BCS team.

think they'd just be satisfied with "not a sunbelt conference or conference USA" team

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 09:23 PM
Let's grab the pokes and split,We don't have a dog in this fight.
http://i53.tinypic.com/14spkyg.jpg

so two schools from Oklahoma spend half of their season traveling to and from the West Coast?

no thanks. I dont believe the B12 survives...but I also dont the PAC is sensible for us unless we drag pokes, whorns and RRaiders with us

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 09:29 PM
Dean Blevins in his tweet tonight said that it is OU, OSU, UT, and TT to PAC 12 and the LHN is going to be reworked also on page 2.

Also OU (see previous page 2) is reporting that they were not told about OU committing to Big 12 so A&M can leave -- this is purely Baylor speak. Also Baylor source included TT and they said they were not part of the group of 6. This looks to be Ken Starr all the way and I admit that I figured UT was behind him but looks like he did this on his very own and then someone leaked bum information.

Sooner Cal
9/7/2011, 11:36 PM
BYlor should have worked to be in the move. They didn't and now they are out in the cold. There won't be a suit and A&M is gone. Get over it Bears and find a home somewhere.

sooner59
9/8/2011, 12:35 AM
They can't do anything really. If the SEC balks, A&M will go Indy for a year. The aggies are too proud to be embarrassed by crawling back to the Big 12 after all this noise. A&M is gone either way. And they SEC would eventually take them anyway. Its effing just going to happen. Baylor needs to quit crying and plan accordingly. They need to start trying to sell themselves to the Big East...quickly.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/8/2011, 12:48 AM
Big 9...OK. Just don't bring in SMU, Houston, Rice or TCU, please.

rainiersooner
9/8/2011, 12:51 AM

On a side note...wither the English language? WTF is he talking about and is there a $/character usage fee on Twitter? As a journalist, he should be ashamed of that abortion of grammar and syntax.

Just saying.

silverwheels
9/8/2011, 12:51 AM
Big 9 can't work because of our TV contract with ESPN: it's void if we fall below 10 members. If A&M leaves, the only way for the conference to survive would be to expand back to 10, at least, if not 12, but the prospects are not good.

zandozan
9/8/2011, 12:54 AM
The very fact that these schools are trying to put OU in this position should be reason enough to leave the Big 12 and never look back. Bring whoever wants to go, schedule Texas OOC if they don't and be done with it. I feel bad for the old Big 8 schools that may not get into a good conference but I'll be damned if I feel bad for any of the Texas schools. Sorry Big 12...it's been nice and all but I think it's time we start seeing other people.

rainiersooner
9/8/2011, 12:57 AM
what's the difference? It takes less time to fly commercially between OKC and LA than it does to either Ames or Waco. I don't buy that argument at all.

LiveLaughLove
9/8/2011, 01:21 AM
what's the difference? It takes less time to fly commercially between OKC and LA than it does to either Ames or Waco. I don't buy that argument at all.

Absolutely this. And it's cheaper. I was big on us going to the SEC at first, but my family in California are very excited about the possibility of getting to see OU as part of the Pac. Barstow, Bakersfield and several in land parts of California are populated by families of the original Okies (like some of mine) and are very proud of their roots here. We will have a fan base there.

LASooner
9/8/2011, 04:34 AM
If a brush fire was racing towards my neighborhood and I had the chance to move before it hit my house, why would I stay because my neighbors are too dumb or too poor to leave? I wouldn't, I'd do what was best for my family and **** all else.

lexred
9/8/2011, 07:12 AM
The whole situation is absurd! The idea of the so called "Super Conferences" is nothing more than greed. Like it or not, the schools that are deemed "insignificant" by many of the posters, depend on football revenue to support their athletic program. They benefit financially from being in a conference with major powers like OU and Texas, and are understandably concerned about their future. The "We are OU" crowd ( fans not Boren) seems willing to throw everyone else under the bus and act befuddled when they complain.

The failure to acknowledge the fact that there are many more "have nots" than "haves" in college football, will lead to a lot of lawsuits over "realignments". Just look at the SEC reaction to the "waiver" issue. Perhaps the lawyers on the board could comment, but it seems to me that if your revenue stream is affected by the "escape" of aTm to the SEC you have the basis of a lawsuit.

Okie35
9/8/2011, 07:16 AM
The whole situation is absurd! The idea of the so called "Super Conferences" is nothing more than greed. Like it or not, the schools that are deemed "insignificant" by many of the posters, depend on football revenue to support their athletic program. They benefit financially from being in a conference with major powers like OU and Texas, and are understandably concerned about their future. The "We are OU" crowd ( fans not Boren) seems willing to throw everyone else under the bus and act befuddled when they complain.

The failure to acknowledge the fact that there are many more "have nots" than "haves" in college football, will lead to a lot of lawsuits over "realignments". Just look at the SEC reaction to the "waiver" issue. Perhaps the lawyers on the board could comment, but it seems to me that if your revenue stream is affected by the "escape" of aTm to the SEC you have the basis of a lawsuit.

Definitely that's why CFB is starting to be only all about $$$. It wasn't this prominent at the beginning of the BCS, now fans clearly know its all about the money.

Soonermagik
9/8/2011, 07:28 AM
so two schools from Oklahoma spend half of their season traveling to and from the West Coast?

no thanks. I dont believe the B12 survives...but I also dont the PAC is sensible for us unless we drag pokes, whorns and RRaiders with us

No, that would be a bad idea. Grab Tech and Mizzou and it becomes a regional conference. OU could make the PAC move only for football only. They could play soccer, baseball, basketball etc.. against the teams of its choice in the local market i.e. Baylor, Rice, Houston, Kansas etc.. Remember, Notre Dame is indy in football and plays all its other sports in the Big East.

Landthief 1972
9/8/2011, 08:28 AM
I think this was misread. No one is painting OU in a corner.

They are basically saying that if OU stays, then it's a sign that the conference leaders (OU and UT) are willing to stabilize it (probably by adding at least one).

Yeah, because that worked out so well for OU last year when Nebraska and Colorado bolted. It took A&M less than a year to look for the exit sign. If you think Mizzou hasn't been looking for a way out since they started all this last year, you're nuts.

I get it, Baylor would love to bring in some mid-major Texas teams so that they could have a winning season in the years that don't have a star quarterback carrying the team, ala Vince Young; but that does OU no good when their goal is to win the MNC every year.

Landthief 1972
9/8/2011, 08:29 AM
On a side note...wither the English language? WTF is he talking about and is there a $/character usage fee on Twitter? As a journalist, he should be ashamed of that abortion of grammar and syntax.

Just saying.

There's a 140 character limit on tweets. WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!

Landthief 1972
9/8/2011, 08:33 AM

Sorry, but this is utter cow manure. OU is one of about 8 school that makes a profit thanks to their football program. The other school lose money every year. Hell UConn lost a ton of money because they had to buy Fiesta Bowl tickets that were overpriced and they didn't have to the fan base to buy them in the first place.

If anything, the trickle down money from programs like OU and Texas just keep the non-profitable school breaking even so they can keep fielding a team.

badger
9/8/2011, 08:33 AM
I lurked at texags a moment ago to see if their angst is turned at all from Baylor to OU with this new rumor. It isn't. They all still hate Baylor with a passion right about now.

While I think they are eager to SECede, I think they realize that can't really be telling us not to leave the dying conference when they are leaving themselves... so whatever. Is what it is.

Soonermagik
9/8/2011, 08:56 AM
I lurked at texags a moment ago to see if their angst is turned at all from Baylor to OU with this new rumor. It isn't. They all still hate Baylor with a passion right about now.

While I think they are eager to SECede, I think they realize that can't really be telling us not to leave the dying conference when they are leaving themselves... so whatever. Is what it is.

Why would they hate OU? OU is the only one that signed the waiver. Actually, A&M is probably hopeful that OU leaves to the PAC and kills this lame conference.

SoonerMom2
9/8/2011, 09:03 AM
Everyone needs to read the realignment thread about what Northwestern is saying -- looks like TX and ND have submitted a plan to the Big 10 on how they will join the Big 10 which ads fuel to the fire that it is going to be OU/OSU and KS/KSU to the PAC 10 and no TX schools that a CA site was talking about last night. KS would be for their basketball and they KSU would be the little brother like OSU.

That makes as much sense as anything.

Maybe Dodds was talking to ND about joining the Big 10 together not about ND coming to the Big 12 perhaps?

ouwino
9/8/2011, 09:08 AM
^^^^

dang, that will make the huskers happy.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 09:20 AM
This, AGAIN, plays right into our hands. Boren is owning everyone at the bargaining table and it's getting sad. I believe that our priorities are thus:

1. Keep the Big 12 alive and expand it possibly
2. Abandon ship to somewhere that will be lucrative and keep our Texas game $$ safe.
3. Abandon all hope ye who enter here, for we have lost all ties to previous rivals and must start anew (we lose OSU as well)

So with this in mind, Boren's moves all make a ton of sense.

"Why the hell would you stir up **** and say that we're leaving?" To stir the pot and get the small schools to lawyer up and try to keep the Big 12 together. They were obviously too stupid to do it before we said anything.

"Baylor is a dick! It's cornered us into a bad position!" Only if you're dead set on leaving a 10 team conference. If we refuse to sign anything (which is the only smart thing to do) then A&M either bites the bullet and leaves, or they get pissy and stay for a bit longer. Either way we win, as if they leave we are free to do so as well. If they stay we get the chance to expand and make them happy long-term.

"Well then why didn't Boren just come out and say that he wanted to stay!?" Because you always keep your doors open to opportunity. By testing the waters as lightly as possible, we have told every other BCS conference "Sure! We'd love to play with you guys. You're total bros, but we have a little thing here. If it doesn't work out we're totally there."

tl;dr Boren is making absolutely sure that we are the best looking school in this whole mess, and that no matter what happens we are in good shape long-term academically, athletically, and financially.

saucysoonergal
9/8/2011, 09:24 AM
NP, the only problem with your argument is the fact that the Big IX is not stable. We need to be in a stable conference. Who is bolting next year?

3rdgensooner
9/8/2011, 09:33 AM
Everyone needs to read the realignment thread about what Northwestern is saying -- looks like TX and ND have submitted a plan to the Big 10 on how they will join the Big 10 which ads fuel to the fire that it is going to be OU/OSU and KS/KSU to the PAC 10 and no TX schools that a CA site was talking about last night. KS would be for their basketball and they KSU would be the little brother like OSU.

^^^^

dang, that will make the huskers happy.This could lead to a fun collective schadenfreude moment.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 09:37 AM
That's true, but this at least gives us time to pull in a BYU or other big name team like Pitt (stupid, but rumors were out there).

Plus, if we hold court then A&M pretty much has to stay because the SEC won't take them.

Or, we could pass the baton to Texas, and say we'll sign on the dotted line if Texas makes some pretty harsh commitments to us.

SoonerMom2
9/8/2011, 09:42 AM
Big 12 is done if Northwestern is correct that TX and ND are going to the Big 10. NE is going to have a fit but as a new member, their vote means nothing.

Boren wants stability in a conference and you are not going to find it in the Big 12. When we were the only school to say we were signing the waiver, it spoke volumes. OU is tired of the Big 12 and what has been happening. Why bring in BYU who refuses to play on Sundays and mess up the rest of the sports? Time for OU to put the final nail in the coffin.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 09:45 AM
Wait, where is this stuff about the BIG 10 coming from?

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 09:49 AM
Wait, where is this stuff about the BIG 10 coming from?

A poster on Northwestern's board that stays up rilly, rilly late.

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=162506546&mid=162506546&sid=901&style=2

Lawton4Life
9/8/2011, 09:50 AM
What does Northwestern know...its probably just more internet jackassery.

MeMyself&Me
9/8/2011, 09:52 AM
If this UT/ND rumor is truth, I think Boren needs to consider dumping OSU and asking if the Big 10 will take them. I hate the idea of going to any conference alone and is why I preferred the Pac but the Big 10 would be much more lucrative and if Texas is going, OU wouldn't be going alone. But I'm still cool with the Pac, just that I think you have to re-explore the Big 10 at this point.

BaylorGuy314
9/8/2011, 09:59 AM
Yeah, because that worked out so well for OU last year when Nebraska and Colorado bolted. It took A&M less than a year to look for the exit sign. If you think Mizzou hasn't been looking for a way out since they started all this last year, you're nuts.

I get it, Baylor would love to bring in some mid-major Texas teams so that they could have a winning season in the years that don't have a star quarterback carrying the team, ala Vince Young; but that does OU no good when their goal is to win the MNC every year.

Not a fan of adding mid-major Texas teams, actually. That's really not healthy for the league. I do believe very much that if OU stays, then we can easily add BYU and several strong Big East programs. OU staying would mean WVU is highly likely to be SEC #14 and that frees up teams like Pitt, Louisville, etc. Losing WVU would be like the Big East losing their only OU/UT.

But, again, stabilization of the league only happens if OU stays. That's not an ultimatum or threat to OU, it's just the truth. If they stay, then the Big 12 will expand. And stability will keep the remaining players from shopping. But if OU is out, then the conference dissolves. It's that simple.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:00 AM
Some random poster on a board for a school that doesn't know a football from a fart is a credible source?

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:01 AM
I say we boot Baylor, ISU, and KSU. Then we get the ACC to boot some of their crappy teams to get to 7 and merge from there. :D

limey_sooner
9/8/2011, 10:01 AM
I'm sceptical of the UT/ND rumor. Isn't the Big Ten Network deal with Fox? I can't see how the LHN could ever fit in there.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 10:03 AM
Some random poster on a board for a school that doesn't know a football from a fart is a credible source?

Absolutely not. However, Northwestern is a helluva journalism school. Perhaps this is an early attempt at a Pulitzer?

:cower:

badger
9/8/2011, 10:08 AM
Aggie angst level = All-time high.

Link (http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1911235&forum_id=5)

Does anyone really mind seeing them suffer a little? Maybe not enjoy the fact that they have a top 10 football team as much because of this crappy situation? :rcmad:

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2011, 10:17 AM
If for some reason the BXII manages to survive, Beebe needs to go as a condition of its survival. He'll claim to be a savior, but the truth is that for the 2nd time in 2 years, he is d**king over people to save his job. This bit about saying no school would sue is just amateur hour-- a clear stall tactic by him while the political players work behind the scenes.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:17 AM
Don't worry, they won't have that high a ranking for long.

Widescreen
9/8/2011, 10:18 AM
No way would the Big 10 put up with TLN. I think those rumors are completely false.

badger
9/8/2011, 10:51 AM
Oh, and if nobody's mentioned it already, the Waco Tribune report that started this thread was proven to be false by both Tech officials and OSU official according to NewsOK.

Link (http://newsok.com/ou-official-denies-report-that-big-12-schools-want-sooners-to-commit-to-league/article/3602031?custom_click=lead_story_title)

OSU said they would never put OU in that position, and Tech said it also wasn't involved.

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 10:53 AM
Yup, Starr is a tool and a moron.

saucysoonergal
9/8/2011, 10:54 AM
But he is a great air-guitar player!

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2011, 11:09 AM
Oh, and if nobody's mentioned it already, the Waco Tribune report that started this thread was proven to be false by both Tech officials and OSU official according to NewsOK.

Link (http://newsok.com/ou-official-denies-report-that-big-12-schools-want-sooners-to-commit-to-league/article/3602031?custom_click=lead_story_title)

OSU said they would never put OU in that position, and Tech said it also wasn't involved.
Jenni Carlson is looking pretty good these days. Looks like she has shed some pounds since the Gundy tirade.

badger
9/8/2011, 11:12 AM
It's kind of funny that their writers are going on camera more for web stuff. I think if writers wanted to be on camera, they probably would be on TV, not writing :D

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2011, 11:15 AM
in Jenni's case, she may be better for the TV than for writing.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 11:18 AM
Whorn just signed the waiver, joining OU. (espn)

lexred
9/8/2011, 11:23 AM
Sorry, but this is utter cow manure. OU is one of about 8 school that makes a profit thanks to their football program. The other school lose money every year. Hell UConn lost a ton of money because they had to buy Fiesta Bowl tickets that were overpriced and they didn't have to the fan base to buy them in the first place.

If anything, the trickle down money from programs like OU and Texas just keep the non-profitable school breaking even so they can keep fielding a team.

"utter cow manure" Thanks a lot, but your reading comprehension skills don't appear to be up to par. Where did my post say anything about a profit? The football programs are the biggest revenue generators so if they are "losing $$$ now and you reduce the football revenue it stands to reason the loss would be greater.

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2011, 11:52 AM
Whorn just signed the waiver, joining OU. (espn)
Waiver for what? Not so sue or to pony up their stupid network?

Scott D
9/8/2011, 12:10 PM
Waiver for what? Not so sue or to pony up their stupid network?

the waiver to not sue.

Depending on who you listen to, Baylor's 'new' cohorts in potential litigation are Iowa St. and Kansas.

A 9 team conference doesn't work, and the Big-XII could potentially lose AQ status for being too small.

I also agree with former WAC Commissioner Karl Benson that a 16 team conference won't work the way people project it to work, and the only logical solutions are 12 or 20.

There's also one other factor with the potential implosion of the Big-XII that is getting glossed over. Whether or not the Fiesta Bowl would attempt to try to sway anyone (ironic considering their own legal issues the past year) because they potentially stand to lose out if the conference does in fact dissolve.

badger
9/8/2011, 12:39 PM
A 20-team conference idea is intriguing. In football, you could play the other 9 in your division annually, meet two cross-division rivals for a defacto "non conference game" (that gets counted as a conference game), and one spare game for a true non-conference game.

Game 13 would be your conference championship, while #14 is hopefully the national title. :D

soonerboomer93
9/8/2011, 12:48 PM
the waiver to not sue.

Depending on who you listen to, Baylor's 'new' cohorts in potential litigation are Iowa St. and Kansas.

A 9 team conference doesn't work, and the Big-XII could potentially lose AQ status for being too small.

I also agree with former WAC Commissioner Karl Benson that a 16 team conference won't work the way people project it to work, and the only logical solutions are 12 or 20.

There's also one other factor with the potential implosion of the Big-XII that is getting glossed over. Whether or not the Fiesta Bowl would attempt to try to sway anyone (ironic considering their own legal issues the past year) because they potentially stand to lose out if the conference does in fact dissolve.

The problem isn't expanding the Big 12, as we know their are plenty of teams biting at the bit to come in. The problem is expanding to a new market and with a team "worthy" of moving up to a BCS conference. One that brings something to the table. The only team in the criteria (other then ND) is probably BYU. Then you can take 2 other mid majors or poach another BCS conference (Big east) as necessary to get back to 12 (if the conference wants). Does the conference need an all time top 5 or 10 program no, but they do need something of A&M's level (all time top 25 in wins).

A 20-team conference idea is intriguing. In football, you could play the other 9 in your division annually, meet two cross-division rivals for a defacto "non conference game" (that gets counted as a conference game), and one spare game for a true non-conference game.

Game 13 would be your conference championship, while #14 is hopefully the national title. :D

Actually, I belive you would not play the other division except if you met in the conference championship. It would be two 10 team conferences acting under one banner for all intensive purposes. If you schedules from the other division, it would probably be treated OOC.

Scott D
9/8/2011, 02:35 PM
The problem isn't expanding the Big 12, as we know their are plenty of teams biting at the bit to come in. The problem is expanding to a new market and with a team "worthy" of moving up to a BCS conference. One that brings something to the table. The only team in the criteria (other then ND) is probably BYU. Then you can take 2 other mid majors or poach another BCS conference (Big east) as necessary to get back to 12 (if the conference wants). Does the conference need an all time top 5 or 10 program no, but they do need something of A&M's level (all time top 25 in wins).

What I'm saying is that the conference needs to be a 10-12 team conference, nine won't work in retaining AQ status. Eight, even less so, hence the panic that has resulted since Boren's statements last week.

Actually, I belive you would not play the other division except if you met in the conference championship. It would be two 10 team conferences acting under one banner for all intensive purposes. If you schedules from the other division, it would probably be treated OOC.

That is correct, you'd not play the other division at all unless it was scheduled as an OOC (ie...Colorado and Cal this week is being treated as an OOC because it isn't part of the Pac-12 schedule). It can be argued as Benson argued that it makes it more of a true championship game.

ddub0224
9/8/2011, 02:45 PM
The Big East only has (had before TCU joins next year) 8 football schools and they have been AQ.

9/8/2011, 03:03 PM
Apology if this has been posted before, but it's a gotta read, for OU and really all college football fans. http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/07/3345246/sooners-finally-lower-the-boom.html

TheUnnamedSooner
9/8/2011, 03:10 PM
"utter cow manure" Thanks a lot, but your reading comprehension skills don't appear to be up to par. Where did my post say anything about a profit? The football programs are the biggest revenue generators so if they are "losing $$$ now and you reduce the football revenue it stands to reason the loss would be greater.

Your writing skills don't appear to be up to par. I thought the same thing as landthief when I read your "intelligent" post.

ouflak
9/8/2011, 03:10 PM
Tech has signed the waiver per ESPN.

saucysoonergal
9/8/2011, 03:39 PM
3 down, 6 to go! ;)

NormanPride
9/8/2011, 03:52 PM
5. You know OSU will sign it.

soonerboomer93
9/8/2011, 04:13 PM
What I'm saying is that the conference needs to be a 10-12 team conference, nine won't work in retaining AQ status. Eight, even less so, hence the panic that has resulted since Boren's statements last week.

Correct, honestly, as far as football prowess, even without aTm the current Big 12 - 2 - 1 is stronger then the current Big East. However, they have a massive advantage in TV market. We don't realistically take a hit in TV markets, however expanding to another texas team would just be expanding to keep bcs status and bring nothing of value. I think that a big concern among our administration.

silverwheels
9/8/2011, 04:15 PM
There's still the issue of the ESPN contract being void if we drop below 10 teams, if that report was true.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/8/2011, 04:17 PM
5. You know OSU will sign it.

Boren: Just sign the damn paper and quit asking questions. :D

LosAngelesSooner
9/8/2011, 04:17 PM
Correct, honestly, as far as football prowess, even without aTm the current Big 12 - 2 - 1 is stronger then the current Big East. However, they have a massive advantage in TV market. We don't realistically take a hit in TV markets, however expanding to another texas team would just be expanding to keep bcs status and bring nothing of value. I think that a big concern among our administration.Not to mention that...and let me be clear about this...

I DO NOT WANT O.U. IN THE NEW SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE

Tuck Fexas and their all Texas scrub school conference. Cupcake, backroom negotiating, good ol' boy, big hattin' conference wannabe bullies. Go win 7 NC's and THEN you can talk trash to us...until then...kiss my ***.

Tear Down This Wall
9/8/2011, 04:23 PM
Not to mention that...and let me be clear about this...

I DO NOT WANT O.U. IN THE NEW SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE

Tuck Fexas and their all Texas scrub school conference. Cupcake, backroom negotiating, good ol' boy, big hattin' conference wannabe bullies. Go win 7 NC's and THEN you can talk trash to us...until then...kiss my ***.

I love you.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 04:30 PM
There's still the issue of the ESPN contract being void if we drop below 10 teams, if that report was true.

Isn't the BigXII's contract with FOX?

silverwheels
9/8/2011, 04:33 PM
Isn't the BigXII's contract with FOX?

First-tier rights are with ESPN, second-tier are with FOX for the next few years.

9/8/2011, 04:45 PM
So, we add a dummyschool(either a nonexistent, or one that doesn't even play football, like Texas Women's University) to keep our membership at 10 teams. That way, all the schools that actually have a football team in-conference can be guaranteed a win every year.

hotshot13422
9/8/2011, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't mind staying in the Big XII - A&M + BYU as long as everyone agrees to stay in the conference for the next 10 years. If the conference continues to stay how it is right now where all these teams keep threatening to move to some other conferences, then we should get out now to the PAC where our conference would be stable. BYU said they would join the Big XII pending OU stating that they will commit to the big XII

My preferences for conferences go like this:

1) Pac16 with OU/Texas/OSU/TT
2) BIG XII - A&M + BYU
3) Pac16 without Texas

soonerboomer93
9/8/2011, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't mind staying in the Big XII - A&M + BYU as long as everyone agrees to stay in the conference for the next 10 years. If the conference continues to stay how it is right now where all these teams keep threatening to move to some other conferences, then we should get out now to the PAC where our conference would be stable. BYU said they would join the Big XII pending OU stating that they will commit to the big XII

2) BIG XII - A&M + BYU
3) Pac16 without Texas

Problem is, that last year everyone agreed to stay in for 10 years, including A$M which got a multimillion dollar redistribution of money from the other 7 (everyone but OU and UT) as part of this agreement.

badger
9/8/2011, 05:33 PM
Beebe is shovel-ready.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 05:48 PM
ESPN's Andy Katz now reporting (5:29pm Thursday) what several schools have already denied, that Baylor is waiting to see what OU does before they sign the waiver. This was all debunked last night by Tech and OU, the "gang of 9" story...why is ESPN now releasing this, from their basketball analyst none the less?

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/conversations/_/id/6944518/baylor-bears-budge-waiving-legal-rights-oklahoma-sooners-decide-future-source-says

limey_sooner
9/8/2011, 05:56 PM
ESPN's Andy Katz now reporting (5:29pm Thursday) what several schools have already denied, that Baylor is waiting to see what OU does before they sign the waiver. This was all debunked last night by Tech and OU, the "gang of 9" story...why is ESPN now releasing this, from their basketball analyst none the less?

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/conversations/_/id/6944518/baylor-bears-budge-waiving-legal-rights-oklahoma-sooners-decide-future-source-saysh

Not really the same thing. Wasn't the story last night that several of them were agreed that they'd waive their right to sue only if OU agreed to stay? This is saying only Baylor is playing that game.

Scott D
9/8/2011, 06:24 PM

2) BIG XII - A&M + BYU
3) Pac16 without Texas

That's interesting, my preference is anything that is an extreme kick in the nuts to the alleged power brokers in Austin.

Scott D
9/8/2011, 06:26 PM
The Big East only has (had before TCU joins next year) 8 football schools and they have been AQ.

There's a reason the Big East is heavily courting the mid/low tier teams in the Big 12 and pretty much praying that both OU and aTm leave the Big 12 after this year.

SoonerMom2
9/8/2011, 06:33 PM

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/conversations/_/id/6944518/baylor-bears-budge-waiving-legal-rights-oklahoma-sooners-decide-future-source-says

Think the Sooners should solve by leaving this conference and Ken Starr behind. The leaks yesterday to the Waco paper supposedly came out of Starr's office. I am tired of this crap and this conference. We have zero to gain from being in a watered down conference with Baylor. The nerve of the school living off the three big schools to try and put us in a corner. How many years did it take Baylor to win their first football game in the Big 12? Many years we had more fans than they did at the their games with OU.

lexred
9/8/2011, 06:40 PM
Your writing skills don't appear to be up to par. I thought the same thing as landthief when I read your "intelligent" post.

Perhaps you suffer from the same affliction. I re-read the post and don't see the problem. I don't think it was meant to be "intelligent" just expressing an opinion on the subject. Like many schools, OU has a lot of great fans, but also some folks that are ready to hurl insults at the drop of a hat.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 06:45 PM
h

Not really the same thing. Wasn't the story last night that several of them were agreed that they'd waive their right to sue only if OU agreed to stay? This is saying only Baylor is playing that game.

If you watch the video, Katz references the Waco Tribune and the 9 teams several times. He didn't even comment about whorn and tceh signing the waiver, only that OU had done so.

limey_sooner
9/8/2011, 06:55 PM
If you watch the video, Katz references the Waco Tribune and the 9 teams several times. He didn't even comment about whorn and tceh signing the waiver, only that OU had done so.

Yeah, but a couple of them flat out denied that it happened.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah, but a couple of them flat out denied that it happened.

My point exactly.

soonerboomer93
9/8/2011, 07:09 PM
Isn't that the truth! This agreement became null and void when the LHN was heavily financed by ESPN at the expense of all the other schools including televising high school football games of their recruits.

No it didn't. Everyone knew UT wanted their own network, before the agreement. Before Nebraska and Colorado left, the conference had voted down setting up a conference network, for unequal revenue sharing (and it's been there from the get go), and to allow for independent school networks.

The broadcasting of high school games was an end around move UT went for, but it's not suprising. Nothing that happened this summer was unexepected after the dust settled last year. Baylor, OSU, ISU, all the little 7 that paid millions of dollars to A$M to make them happier and secure their loyalty only to see them act like this have every right to be upset with them. From my understanding a$m needed said money to pay what the athletic department owed the school. OU and UT turned down their chance for this money. That redistribution.

SoonerMom2
9/8/2011, 07:50 PM
We should have kept Weiberg who had a vision instead of getting Beebe whose only vision was what was best for UT. Don't think anyone thought the Longhorn Network would get so much from ESPN or what it would turn into when first proposed.

trwxxa
9/8/2011, 08:14 PM

I do agree with this sentiment, but you will still have to deal with Texas wanting to go independent in football only within a few years.

GottaHavePride
9/8/2011, 08:58 PM
NAh, screw that. We stay in a weaksauce Big XII for the next 5-10 years and we'll be watching OU games on Animal Planet because every more reputable network will be showing SEC, PAC-16, and BIG-16 games.

silverwheels
9/8/2011, 09:31 PM
If we stay in the weakened Big 12 (assuming A&M leaves) while the other conferences become super conferences, I may stop watching college sports.

soonerboomer93
9/8/2011, 09:31 PM
PAC 12, big 10, sec, acc expansion all face the same issue that the big 12 currently faces. Who actually brings value to the conference(outside of ND, maybe BYU, or an existing BCS school)?

silverwheels
9/8/2011, 09:33 PM
PAC 12, big 10, sec, acc expansion all face the same issue that the big 12 currently faces. Who actually brings value to the conference(outside of ND, maybe BYU, or an existing BCS school)?

OSU brings peanut butter slices. They invented those, you know.

bluedogok
9/8/2011, 10:41 PM
You expect an ESPN writer to have actual, valid sources?
Surely you must be kidding. They are an entertainment corporation, not a journalistic institution.