PDA

View Full Version : I only hear pac 12 talk, why not Big 10??

AZSOONER
9/7/2011, 04:06 PM
Why is it when people talk realignment it is to the pac 12? Wouldn't the big 10 be a better choice? We'd get our rivalry with NU back and I personally think the teams are better overall.

FtwTxSooner
9/7/2011, 04:08 PM
It'll be difficult enough for us to get into the Big 10. Lil brother would stand no chance at all in getting in.

OUDoc
9/7/2011, 04:08 PM
Makes more sense to me but the B1G has the conference arrogance of texas. I don't know why.

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 04:09 PM
Big Ten only wants Notre Dame.

silverwheels
9/7/2011, 04:11 PM
OU is not an AAU member and is not Notre Dame. Big Ten wants ND first, then an eastward expansion into the NY market. If they expand at all, and it looks like they will avoid it until the last moment.

OUInformant
9/7/2011, 04:16 PM
Big 10 will take OU in a heartbeat. OU and Texas would be a wet dream for them. The Big 10 won't take OSU though.

I would much rather travel out west then go to games in the Big 10. Though it would be nice to have our rivalries with Texas and Nebraska.

Forget Notre Dame, they can barely keep up in division I football. They have a big fan base, but that's about it. I really wouldn't want to be in a conference with Notre Dame, as they would probably be worse than Texas.

sooner59
9/7/2011, 04:26 PM
I don't know if Notre Dame will even ever be relevant again in football. Regardless of what they do, that still makes me chuckle.

MichiganSooner
9/7/2011, 04:31 PM
Fans on a forum at the Detroit Free Press were talking arrogantly about Big 12 universities regarding academics. The only school they mentioned that was remotely qualified to be in the Big 10 academically, was Texas. They deplore Nebraska. This wasn't a few responders; the story had about 700 comments when I was looking at it last weekend and several hundred kept mentioning academics. Several seemed to want to get Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse...

Personally, I think the teams are better across the board in the Big 10 and I like the idea of us playing teams in the central or eastern time zone. Or the central and mountain time zone. But jumping to the Pacific makes late, late night ballgames for the students and for me to watch on TV.

silverwheels
9/7/2011, 04:33 PM
Maybe more late basketball games, but in football, OU would play on the west coast once, maybe twice (depending on the scheduling format) a season, and TV execs would be smart not to make those games late if OU is involved. That's a non-issue.

MichiganSooner
9/7/2011, 04:36 PM
Part of the Big 10 fans arrogance toward most of the Big 12 is that they have not been out here to visit. To many people around the Great Lakes and east, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas are hick western states with cowboys and Indians on the prairie. They picture our states looking like the old western TV shows and movies-dusty, tumble weeds, mountains. Sheriff on Main Street facing the bad guy in a cowboy hat with a gun.

LosAngelesSooner
9/7/2011, 04:36 PM
Why is it when people talk realignment it is to the pac 12? Wouldn't the big 10 be a better choice? We'd get our rivalry with NU back and I personally think the teams are better overall.The Pac 12 has better teams. They have better weather. (you think Kansas City is cold in the winter?) They have a bigger TV market and exposure. They have hotter women. They have better food. Their academics are as good, but they are less snobby (the Big 10 wouldn't let OSU or TTech in).

Plus the Big 10 smells funny.

silverwheels
9/7/2011, 04:44 PM
Part of the Big 10 fans arrogance toward most of the Big 12 is that they have not been out here to visit. To many people around the Great Lakes and east, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas are hick western states with cowboys and Indians on the prairie. They picture our states looking like the old western TV shows and movies-dusty, tumble weeds, mountains. Sheriff on Main Street facing the bad guy in a cowboy hat with a gun.

That's funny, because my perception of Big Ten country is a bunch of rusty, abandoned buildings with fat people who eat nothing but ketchup-slathered meat loaf and fried cheese, which probably explains why their football teams are so slow. Stereotypes are fun.

Landthief 1972
9/7/2011, 05:05 PM

Like anybody in Michigan has room to talk:
http://www.theseekerbooks.com/detroit/neighborhoods.html

Sooner_Tuf
9/7/2011, 05:14 PM

That's because those people all live in public housing projects in the ghetto and aren't able to travel. DYN-O-MITE!

http://www.lat34.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/dynomite.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
9/7/2011, 05:16 PM
Like anybody in Michigan has room to talk:
http://www.theseekerbooks.com/detroit/neighborhoods.html

I keep hearing on the radio that you can buy a house in Detroit for $1200. Of course you will not be able to get a job, your neighbors will be on crack, you will have at least one family member a year murdered. If you are white it will of course be much worse for you.

Sooner95
9/7/2011, 05:35 PM
For selfish reasons I'd like OU to the B10 (I'm an hour from happy valley) but I think the pac16 would be better. Better games, hotter women, not worried about late starts, only be a couple of those in football. Hoops, it's not like I get to see them on TV anyways..

Okieflyer
9/7/2011, 06:16 PM
Here's some theory mixed in with public and non public facts.

Boren and Joe C. want to go to the Big 10. That was their first choice. The reason was the academic status of the Big 10. The problem was that the Big 10 wants no part of OSU. So the next best thing is to go to the PAC, which is not an academic scub by any stretch. OU has been climbing the Academic and research ladder since Boren took over. Maybe before. That's the biggest reason the SEC is not an option. Not to mention the NCAA problem the SEC seems to stay in. They would love to get to the level of an AAU university.

The regents, however, do not want the Big 10 for political reasons. Mainly because the PAC will take OSU and the Big 10 won't. I don't care what Michigan "fans" say, the Big 10 would take OU in a heartbeat...and Texas of course. Texas and OU have a political problem that will be solved by going to the PAC where OSU and Tech can go too. They would like it to happen quickly. If they waited long enough they would get the Big 10 alone without OSU. I just don't think they want to wait a few years from now.

The posturing by Stoops is doing nothing more than giving help to Texas. If they do decide to reduce the LHN and go to the PAC they need political cover. I can promise you right now that fans and alumni of Texas do not want to lose the rivalry of OU/Texas for a second. So as Stoops says that, Texas fans will be calling their Texas congressmen telling them to get out of the way of the move. OU will have no problem because they will be taking OSU with them. Plus everyone seems to forget that Tech does not want Texas to do anything other than go to the PAC. The one place they could go with Texas.

I know a lot of folks want to bash Texas, but I for one love the rivalry with the them. I have so many friends from Texas I love to hammer when we beat them. People I really care about. Texas is a great rival. I love the rivalry with Nebraska and was extremely sad to see them go. I promise Stoops and the rest of the OU admin feel this way too no matter what they say publicly.

oudivesherpa
9/7/2011, 07:34 PM
Boren and Joe C. first responsiblity is to OU. IF they don't realize that, then they should be replaced. IF we can get OSU in the Big 10 great, but we should never take second best just to appease OSU!

silverwheels
9/7/2011, 08:27 PM
I still haven't seen any evidence that suggests the Big Ten is interested in OU, with or without OSU.

MichiganSooner
9/7/2011, 09:22 PM
That's funny, because my perception of Big Ten country is a bunch of rusty, abandoned buildings with fat people who eat nothing but ketchup-slathered meat loaf and fried cheese, which probably explains why their football teams are so slow. Stereotypes are fun.

Good one!!

Jdog
9/7/2011, 09:28 PM
Big 10 will take OU in a heartbeat. OU and Texas would be a wet dream for them. The Big 10 won't take OSU though.

I would much rather travel out west then go to games in the Big 10. Though it would be nice to have our rivalries with Texas and Nebraska.

Forget Notre Dame, they can barely keep up in division I football. They have a big fan base, but that's about it. I really wouldn't want to be in a conference with Notre Dame, as they would probably be worse than Texas..

Golf in big 10 country isn't very good during football season. Too much frozen tundra. Where would you rather see the sooners play in November, meatchgan or LA?

picasso
9/7/2011, 10:05 PM
OU is not an AAU member and is not Notre Dame. Big Ten wants ND first, then an eastward expansion into the NY market. If they expand at all, and it looks like they will avoid it until the last moment.Nebraska isn't an AAU member either..

silverwheels
9/7/2011, 10:14 PM
Nebraska isn't an AAU member either..

They were when they were accepted.

Sooner_Havok
9/7/2011, 11:03 PM
OU can never obtain AAU status. One of the things that scores major AAU points is to have an on campus med school. I don't see OU razing the HSC and rebuilding it in Norman any time soon.

I have to admit though, if the BIG would look past the inability of OU to obtain AAU status, our academics aren't bad, and have been steadily improving under Papa Dave.

If super conferences seem to be coming, maybe the BIG takes two non-AAU schools and two AAU schools. Bring in OU, KU, and MIZZOU, and tell ND this is their last chance to join a conference before all the good ones hit the limit of 16.

A conference with OU, ND, tOSU, UM, and Penn St, that would certainly tell the SEC to suck it! Hell, get texas on board and drop either KU or MIZZOU, and no other conference could touch the BIG in football tradition and prestige.

Okieflyer
9/8/2011, 06:51 AM
OU can never obtain AAU status. One of the things that scores major AAU points is to have an on campus med school. I don't see OU razing the HSC and rebuilding it in Norman any time soon.

Could be right about this. I'm just saying you know it's a desire of OU's.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/07/3345246/sooners-finally-lower-the-boom.html

At least we now know the Stoops comments are working.

stoopified
9/8/2011, 08:04 AM
It'll be difficult enough for us to get into the Big 10. Lil brother would stand no chance at all in getting in.Best reason I can think of to go Big 16. Question is who goes in with us to balance the divisions ?

SanJoaquinSooner
9/8/2011, 08:26 AM

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/07/3345246/sooners-finally-lower-the-boom.html

Imagine that. Galloway writes an article without dissing Switzer.

soonerbrat
9/8/2011, 08:27 AM

LOVE this article. LOVE.

saucysoonergal
9/8/2011, 09:09 AM
LOVE this article. LOVE.

I agree with Brat!!! Great read!

SoonerMom2
9/8/2011, 09:26 AM
That is one of the funniest articles I have read about this whole situation. When OU agreed to sign the paperwork not to sue but no one else did, OU has truly had it with UT.

Tear Down This Wall
9/8/2011, 09:29 AM
Look, the Pac-12 is faggy. There. I said it. It's faggy.

Los Angeles isn't a college town. Seattle isn't a college town. Tuscon isn't a college town. There are maybe two or three real college towns in the Pac-12.

The SEC is different. It's college towns and college people. More places like Norman are in the SEC.

It ain't that far a drive to Arkansas, Louisiana, or Mississippi where our annual division mates would be in the SEC. Plus, we'd be helping the economies of those states by stopping and buying fruit and vegetables are their roadside stands.

In Los Angeles, we'd just be dodging Mexican tamale and ice cream venders and stuff. There. I said it.

Faggy.

SoonerMom2
9/8/2011, 09:29 AM
The four CA universities in the PAC 12 have already discussed their pushing for OU to join the AAU within the next ten years. That was part of the reason last year to go to the PAC 10.

saucysoonergal
9/8/2011, 09:33 AM
Look, the Pac-12 is faggy. There. I said it. It's faggy.

Los Angeles isn't a college town. Seattle isn't a college town. Tuscon isn't a college town. There are maybe two or three real college towns in the Pac-12.

The SEC is different. It's college towns and college people. More places like Norman are in the SEC.

It ain't that far a drive to Arkansas, Louisiana, or Mississippi where our annual division mates would be in the SEC. Plus, we'd be helping the economies of those states by stopping and buying fruit and vegetables are their roadside stands.

In Los Angeles, we'd just be dodging Mexican tamale and ice cream venders and stuff. There. I said it.

Faggy.

Thanks for your opinion. It is wrong, but thanks nonetheless. Have a great day!

delhalew
9/8/2011, 10:34 AM
Faggy may not have been the word I would choose, but if we stick to the issue of football, rather than academic straw men, he is correct.

saucysoonergal
9/8/2011, 10:39 AM
Faggy may not have been the word I would choose, but if we stick to the issue of football, rather than academic straw men, he is correct.

Thanks for your opinion as well. Have a nice day!

Tear Down This Wall
9/8/2011, 10:54 AM

Okay. How about, "limp-wristed"?

Or, as they would say in the South, while politely sipping sun tea, "There's something not right about that Pac-12 boy."

saucysoonergal
9/8/2011, 10:55 AM
Okay. How about, "limp-wristed"?

Or, as they would say in the South, while politely sipping sun tea, "There's something not right about that Pac-12 boy."

I thought you would be all for it! RR was a Cali boy, weren't he? ;)

Tear Down This Wall
9/8/2011, 11:09 AM
Politics and football are separate things...unless, you're in a conference with Texas, A&M, and Baylor.

Look, if the choice is Big 12 or Pac-##; give me Pac-##.

But, if it comes down to SEC or Pac-##; give me SEC.

Hey, Sam Walton got his degree at Mizzou and now his Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the United States. He didn't have all of that business success because he sat around theorizing about the world with a bunch of AAU-pointy head types from the West or East Coasts.

My point it also this: FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL! If you want to go watch chemists mix chemicals, go do it on your own time. Don't mix it with my FOOTBALL!

Also, they make good pecan pies in the South. Out West, they eat raw fish. Faggy.

ouduckhunter
9/8/2011, 11:16 AM
Great article!! Boomer!

BigTip
9/8/2011, 11:35 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
Look, the Pac-12 is faggy. There. I said it. It's faggy

Would it have been better if he had chanted, "The Pac-12 is faggy, clap clap clap" ?

:tongue:

freshchris05
9/9/2011, 07:00 AM
Football is good in the SEC but I think Boren sees more opportunity for the University as a whole in the PAC. I liked the Big 12 with Nebraska, now I could care less. Honestly no other conference is gonna be similar to what we had in the Big 8, sorry.

Besides location there aren't a whole lot of negatives with the PAC move. It's definitely better than this Dr. Phill repeat of a conference we're currently in. You can't really rag on the PAC for have smaller, less rabid fan bases, those states have professional sports teams, those "faggy" fans are called alumni. Why do you think sooner football is so big? Most of us are just football fans, I dropped out of college. Same goes for the SEC, how many of those SEC chanters have degrees?. Like it or not the PAC is everyone's favorite because it's more about college than football.