PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma City Restaurants

lexsooner
9/7/2011, 08:06 AM
OK, I am sure there have been other threads on this topic, but I am curious which OKC area restaurants are considered the best. I have not lived in Oklahoma since the early 90s, so I am sure there are many great places of which I am not aware.

Steak, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, BBQ? I ate at Mahogany's in NW OKC a couple of years ago and it was about the best filet I have ever had - expensive, but great steak. The original Dot Wo in far west OKC was terrific, but I have not been there in years. Then there was that local Mexican chain - one downtown OKC, one on May Ave, one in Norman. Its names escapes me, but it was great and they served it up in a matter of minutes. The only Indian place I have eaten at in OKC is the one around Penn and 63rd (if I remember correctly), and it was really good. I have never tried Billy Sims' BBQ, but have heard positive reviews. Grand House in Little Saigon had dim sum. I am sure there are many great Thai, Vietnamese, and other ethnic food restaurants now. I don't know of any good Italian places in OKC.

Any favorites?

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2011, 08:11 AM
Cafe Do Brasil

Queen of Sheba (Ethiopian)

Cattleman's (Old School)

jk the sooner fan
9/7/2011, 08:19 AM
Iron Star BBQ is pretty good eats

Boomer.....
9/7/2011, 08:33 AM
For Mexican, we prefer Alfredo's in Moore or Tarahumera's in Norman.

For Italian try Primo's.

yermom
9/7/2011, 10:15 AM
the Mexican place you are talking about is Chelino's. i like Ted's better though, it's also on N May and in Norman.

i've yet to find a bad Thai place in OKC, but i've only tried a few. Thai House II, Sala Thai, Phadthai

Pho 89 next to Padthai on 89th and Penn is also good

Cafe do Brasil and Queen of Sheba are also interesting. the latter is a bit more adventurous than the former

SoonerLaw09
9/7/2011, 11:38 AM
I'll put in a plug for Pearl's, either Crabtown or the original FTW. Never eaten at the Deep Fork itself, but I did have their food at a catered event, and it was very tasty. Cafe do Brasil is a winnah. As far as Messican goes I like Abuelo's.

yermom
9/7/2011, 11:40 AM
Deep Fork is good. a little pricey for my beer budget most of the time though

lexsooner
9/7/2011, 08:26 PM
the Mexican place you are talking about is Chelino's. i like Ted's better though, it's also on N May and in Norman.

i've yet to find a bad Thai place in OKC, but i've only tried a few. Thai House II, Sala Thai, Phadthai

Pho 89 next to Padthai on 89th and Penn is also good

Cafe do Brasil and Queen of Sheba are also interesting. the latter is a bit more adventurous than the former

It's nice to know that there are so many ethnic restaurants in OKC now, even less common styles. OKC is so much more diverse than Lexington, KY. Lexington did not have many Indian places until this past decade, and there are a few Thai, two Vietnamese, and tons of Chinese buffets. Because of the Toyota influence, there are lots of really good Japanese restaurants. Thankfully, there are also lots of new Mexican joints. I would like to see even less common types of restaurants like Ethiopian, Nepalese, or Brazilian, but that might take a while.

the-rover
9/8/2011, 04:33 AM
Don't make it to OKC as often as in the past, so when I do it's tough to pass on Pearl's Oyster Bar.

soonercruiser
9/8/2011, 09:47 AM
Steaks and "other".....Ranch Steakhouse, on Brittan Rd., just east of the LHP.
But, pricey! Great place for a anniversary dinner.

TUSooner
9/8/2011, 01:24 PM
And here I was complaining the other day that OKC only has Mexican and "sportsburger" places. If I knew how to give this thread some stars, I would do it.

starclassic tama
9/8/2011, 04:55 PM
that new restaurant west is pretty good. they claim to have the best steak in the state, some stuff is kinda expensive there but they have cheaper stuff too. it's by the classen curve

OhU1
9/8/2011, 10:04 PM
Lexington .....there are a ton of Chinese buffets.
True. Last time I was in Lexington I hit a Chinese buffet and the place was filed with fat white people with food over flowing and falling off their plates. This goofy giggling 200 pound 9 year old was stuffing his face with a funnel cake while his 350 pound father with a backwards John Deere cap pounded down soft serve ice cream. Only in Kentucky!

Curly Bill
9/8/2011, 10:42 PM
True. Last time I was in Lexington I hit a Chinese buffet and the place was filed with fat white people with food over flowing and falling off their plates. This goofy giggling 200 pound 9 year old was stuffing his face with a funnel cake while his 350 pound father with a backwards John Deere cap pounded down soft serve ice cream. Only in Kentucky!

Hardly! That's unfortunatley quite common these days.

Taxman71
9/9/2011, 08:43 AM
You should also consider some of the places in Midtown/Auto Alley. For Mexican, 1492 and the Iguana are good while Ludavine is for the very adventurous. Cheever's on NE 23 is very good also.