PDA

View Full Version : A&M acceptance to SEC contingent on waiver of litigation-

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 06:25 AM
this could get so delicious!!! I can see Bill Powers and Deloss Dodds right now rubbing their hands together and doing their Dr Evil laughs

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1261679

Hold everything folks.

The Southeastern Conference presidents met Tuesday night and voted to admit Texas A&M. But the vote came with a stipulation that still must be worked out.

The SEC presidents voted to admit Texas A&M as the 13th member of that league so long as each individual member of the Big 12 waives its right to litigation against the SEC.

And it was unclear Tuesday night if all nine remaining members of the Big 12 would waive that right, sources said. The Big 12 schools were expected to discuss the matter on Wednesday, sources said. That's the same day Texas A&M has planned a celebration in College Station to announce its admission into the SEC, sources said.

If even one of the Big 12 schools refuse to waive their right to sue the SEC over its courtship of Texas A&M, the SEC could withdraw its vote to admit A&M, sources said.

After letters were exchanged by SEC commissioner Mike Slive and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe Tuesday, Beebe told Slive the Big 12 conference office had waived its right to litigate against Texas A&M or the SEC but that the Big 12's waiver was not binding on the individual members of the Big 12, sources said.

The SEC indicated it would admit Texas A&M only upon condition that each individual member of the Big 12 waive its right to sue the SEC, sources said.

And that condition was in doubt Tuesday night, sources said.

Stay tuned.

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 06:34 AM
I think this may kill the entire realignment. This is Baylor/ISU/KU/KSU's chance to keep the Big 12 intact. Why would they sign off on their own destruction? I hope I'm wrong.

ouflak
9/7/2011, 06:41 AM
Sorry A&M. You just got hosed. Atleast for a year or so....

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 07:05 AM
I think this may kill the entire realignment. This is Baylor/ISU/KU/KSU's chance to keep the Big 12 intact. Why would they sign off on their own destruction? I hope I'm wrong.

yep

this is great for them...they dont even have to file suit. They just have to refuse to promise not to.

this actually plays right into whorns hands too...they dont have to be the bad guys as the other small schools can play that role just for survival

WHAT IF.....someone refuses then the SEC goes full steam ahead and finds 3-4 teams in the next few years, leaving Aggies in the cold. Man o Man there would be some bad blood in this conference. Talk about the rivalries getting heated.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 07:13 AM

2 points for Widescreen. This tweet from Chip

ChipBrownOB Chip Brown
Multiple sources saying #Baylor is B12 school #SEC most concerned about in terms of lawsuit vs SEC and against Mike Slive personally.
1 hour ago

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 07:19 AM
I have no legal background but I'm not sure what they would be suing for. If a school doesn't want to be in a conference anymore, is aTm violating anything by wanting out? Beebe has already said the Big 12 won't sue so I don't understand what legal grounds Baylor has.

jk the sooner fan
9/7/2011, 07:20 AM
delicious

Sooner in Tampa
9/7/2011, 07:33 AM
REALLY??? Can we drag this out anymore???

The Big XII - II -I is DEAD...it's time to MOVE ON!!!

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 07:36 AM
I have no legal background but I'm not sure what they would be suing for. If a school doesn't want to be in a conference anymore, is aTm violating anything by wanting out? Beebe has already said the Big 12 won't sue so I don't understand what legal grounds Baylor has.

tortious interference. they would claim that SEC interfered with contractual agreement between TAMU and the B12

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

prrriiide
9/7/2011, 07:37 AM
Tortious interference.

Doesn't matter. Boren is sick of the lack of stability in the Big XII. I think OU still goes to the Pac and the league blows up anyway. Why wait around for the inevitable? If OU goes now it's from a position of strength. Might not be as advantageous later.

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 07:40 AM
They would have a heck of a time proving tortious interference given how the SEC has handled this. They've been extra careful to avoid any appearance of meddling. Still, it sounds like even the threat of a lawsuit is killing the aTm-to-SEC deal.

thecynic
9/7/2011, 07:42 AM
This is all BS. Let them go. It would be chicken chit if Iowa st. or someone blocked this at this point. The whole situation has dragged on long enough. The only thing that would be funny if Texas was to do it.

sooner_born_1960
9/7/2011, 07:46 AM
This is just noise. Baylor isn't suing aTm or the SEC.

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 07:52 AM
That may be true, but will they sign a waiver indicating that they won't sue? I'm not convinced they will.

GreenSooner
9/7/2011, 07:58 AM
Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/07/d-day-at-hand-for-am-sec/)that Baylor is thinking of suing. Given how sick of this crap I am, I can only imagine what Boren and Castiglione feel. I hope we leave UT to create the Big SWC of their dreams and go west!

GottaHavePride
9/7/2011, 08:03 AM
Considering A&M issued a letter notifying of their intent to "seek a new conference" - as in, they didn't explicitly name the SEC or give any indication the SEC made the first ovetures - I don't think a lawsuit like that would ultimately stick.

Unless Aggie's lawyers are, well, Aggies.

badger
9/7/2011, 08:05 AM
BF never has 700 viewers on their message board... but they do right now! :eek:

MeMyself&Me
9/7/2011, 08:07 AM
It doesn't matter now if it would stick or not. The SEC wants the waiver which gives Baylor, and Iowa State for that matter, incredible power over aTm.

jkjsooner
9/7/2011, 08:14 AM
They would have a heck of a time proving tortious interference given how the SEC has handled this. They've been extra careful to avoid any appearance of meddling. Still, it sounds like even the threat of a lawsuit is killing the aTm-to-SEC deal.

Everyone knows there were back room talks between the SEC and A&M. A&M didn't simply leave the Big 12 without first having communications with the SEC.

Proving it is another thing but public statements to the contrary do not change what common sense would tell us.

badger
9/7/2011, 08:17 AM
The more I think about this, the more I wonder if any school would physically sign a waiver or just choose to wait it out, letting it be a bargaining chip for their colleagues and themselves.

I mean, do you sign every petition you get handed at the state fair? ("Are you a registered voter in the state of Oklahoma?") What exactly does OU and the other nine have to gain from signing a pledge to not sue?

If A&M wants our pledge and the other nine's pledges, make them pay the full buyout to leave the Big 12. Yes, I know that's like $30 million. How badly do you want to leave, Aggie?

SoCal
9/7/2011, 08:18 AM
Mike and Mike said Baylor will not stop Texas A&M from going to the SEC.

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 08:19 AM
Actually suing is time consuming and expensive. Not signing a waiver is free. That's why I think this alignment stuff is over (for now).

sooner518
9/7/2011, 08:21 AM
Mike and Mike said Baylor will not stop Texas A&M from going to the SEC.

and those 2 retarded blowhards know what exactly?

badger
9/7/2011, 08:23 AM
Yeah, don't sign anything, schools. Make Aggie wait. Let their texags.com meltdowns grow with each passing day. Then, charge full buyout for departure in 2011. Let complaints fester on these amusing topics in the meantime:

1- Their inevitable loss to Arkansas. It happens every year.

2- Phantom holding calls by the Big 12 refs, who are definitely screwing them. Definitely.

3- The Longhorn Network. Why does it still exist?

4- Baylor. They're the reason we're not S-E-C! S-E-C! yet.

:rcmad:

Augusta_Sooner
9/7/2011, 08:23 AM
I don't see how Baylor can sue when A&M formally notified the Big 12 they were leaving effective June 2012 and that they plan to apply for membership to another conference. No mention of the SEC in their actions. If anything, Baylor may be able to sue A&M if the long-term effects cause Baylor to lose income, i.e., TV contract revenue. I don't see how the SEC would be liable in this situation. I hope no one from the Big 12 holds up this slow moving train wreck....just get on with it already. I understand Baylor's concerns about their potential loss of revenue; however, effective June 2012, A&M will no longer be a member of the Big 12, right? At that point, the SEC may have to take a re-vote to formally extend an invitation to A&M. All this will do is cause a scheduling headache for both conferences as they will have to wait until next summer to finalize conference schedules for all sports. If I'm the Big 12, I tell Baylor that they can't stop the ineviatable and help them land in a BCS conference shoudl the Big 12 implode. I think there's a chance that Texas may try to super glue this conference together with Baylor, TTech, ISU, KU, KSU, Mizzou, and 3 other chumps in order for them to stay in the Big 12 and keep their LHN. I think Texas would have legislative support if they offer SMU, Houston, and TCU an invite to a watered down Big 12.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 08:28 AM
That may be true, but will they sign a waiver indicating that they won't sue? I'm not convinced they will.

2 more points for Widescreen
PEOPS...they dont have to sue...they just have to refuse to sign a waiver that says they wont.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah, don't sign anything, schools. Make Aggie wait. Let their texags.com meltdowns grow with each passing day. Then, charge full buyout for departure in 2011. Let complaints fester on these amusing topics in the meantime:

1- Their inevitable loss to Arkansas. It happens every year.

2- Phantom holding calls by the Big 12 refs, who are definitely screwing them. Definitely.

3- The Longhorn Network. Why does it still exist?

4- Baylor. They're the reason we're not S-E-C! S-E-C! yet.

:rcmad:

tee hee hee. The funny thing is...seems Bears hate Aggies as much as we hate whorns. Every kid on his way to class this morning is high fiving every other kid at Baylor

delhalew
9/7/2011, 08:38 AM
It's amazing how many people are skipping over the fact that they don't have to sue to stop or delay this.

MeMyself&Me
9/7/2011, 08:43 AM
It's amazing how many people are skipping over the fact that they don't have to sue to stop or delay this.

Yup. That's the main point. It may not have been in Baylor's long term interest to actually sue. Now they don't have to. Just don't sign the waiver and all is OK in Waco. They were just given incredible power last night.

Neath a Western Sky
9/7/2011, 08:45 AM
Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/07/d-day-at-hand-for-am-sec/)that Baylor is thinking of suing. Given how sick of this crap I am, I can only imagine what Boren and Castiglione feel. I hope we leave UT to create the Big SWC of their dreams and go west!

If Baylor or anyone else in the Big 12 wants to force an unwilling school to remain leashed to them, that is freaking crazy. Let 'em do it if they want, and keep breathing "life" into a conference that will no longer have OU or OSU.

Lawton4Life
9/7/2011, 08:50 AM
Baylor's power in this state died with Ann Richards.

Augusta_Sooner
9/7/2011, 08:55 AM
I seriously doubt that if Baylor refused to sign a waiver that the SEC would hold up A&M's membership. The Aggies bring too much to the table in terms of viewership for the SEC to worry about one insignificant Big 12 member. The SEC stands to gain a lot more $$$ by having A&M as a member. $$$ talks, b.s. walks.....otherwise, no conference could ever expand for fear of litigation. Maybe if all members of the Big 12 refused to sign a waiver, then the SEC may be apprehensive, and that's not likely. Does anyone really think Baylor can stop this moving train? Again, A&M announced they were leaving before being extended an invite by the SEC. The SEC presidents are just trying to be as cautious as possible. But in the end, they could give a rat's azz about Baylor not signing a waiver.

MeMyself&Me
9/7/2011, 08:59 AM
If Baylor or anyone else in the Big 12 wants to force an unwilling school to remain leashed to them, that is freaking crazy. Let 'em do it if they want, and keep breathing "life" into a conference that will no longer have OU or OSU.

OU's offers were contingent on SEC expansion as far as I can tell. OU/OSU isn't going anywhere if aTm doesn't go anywhere.

I seriously doubt that if Baylor refused to sign a waiver that the SEC would hold up A&M's membership. The Aggies bring too much to the table in terms of viewership for the SEC to worry about one insignificant Big 12 member. The SEC stands to gain a lot more $$$ by having A&M as a member. $$$ talks, b.s. walks.....otherwise, no conference could ever expand for fear of litigation. Maybe if all members of the Big 12 refused to sign a waiver, then the SEC may be apprehensive, and that's not likely. Does anyone really think Baylor can stop this moving train? Again, A&M announced they were leaving before being extended an invite by the SEC. The SEC presidents are just trying to be as cautious as possible. But in the end, they could give a rat's azz about Baylor not signing a waiver.

For now, Baylor IS stopping the move because they ARE refusing to sign a waiver of litigation which the SEC DID say is important. Now, you have to either get Bayor to agree to a waiver of litigation or get the SEC to change their mind on wanting it.

badger
9/7/2011, 09:01 AM
Once again, I think this should be a bargaining chip in driving the exit fee higher. So much for Aggie's planned celebration today. No SECeding for you! Or soup!

lubbocksooner
9/7/2011, 09:02 AM

No one would be "forcing" them to stay. They can still leave and spend a season as an independent and then go where every they want to. The Ag's just have to be willing to take on a greater degree of risk in that scenerio.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 09:08 AM

Baylor has had 0.00 worth of chips in this game the entire time. They've been waiting around to see what has been left for them. This is their opportunity to get some chips in the big poker game.

What it will get them, who knows...but if the other small schools have already promised not to sue, and Baylor held out and is the only one blocking the deal, they will get something in return for their compliance. I give Ken Starr a lot of credit for this move

ouflak
9/7/2011, 09:16 AM
No one would be "forcing" them to stay. They can still leave and spend a season as an independent and then go where every they want to. The Ag's just have to be willing to take on a greater degree of risk in that scenerio.Oh yeah, I'm sure they can come with a football schedule in a years time. No risk in that!

I kind of wish they could pull something like that off. But realistically, with most teams having their schedules planned out years in advance, it seems a formidable task. But then again, schedules are renegotiated/shuffled every year, so....

ouflak
9/7/2011, 09:18 AM
Baylor has had 0.00 worth of chips in this game the entire time. They've been waiting around to see what has been left for them. This is their opportunity to get some chips in the big poker game.

What it will get them, who knows...but if the other small schools have already promised not to sue, and Baylor held out ....

What I suspect is that it will get them is blacklisted from ever joining even the most pathetic conference, once the Big XII-II-I dies. But we'll see.

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 09:18 AM
Baylor is now the Big IX toughguy. :rolleyes:

I would be embarrassed if I were a Bear. Let the Collie worshiping, goose-stepping, grass protectors go already.

bluedogok
9/7/2011, 09:21 AM
It smacks of a move of desperation of someone who is trying to hold onto a love lost.....

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 09:22 AM
Seriously, this is rolleyes? :rolleyes:

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 09:23 AM
The bad blood that will be created by a team that should never have been admitted to the Big 12 is beyond ludicrous. Just get it over with -- I smell TX behind Baylor in this one.

Not an A&M fan but if Baylor pulls this stunt, they would be my enemy forever and would want to pound them into the ground at every turn if I was an Aggie. You don't keep a conference together with a stunt like this.

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 09:25 AM
After all the good press they got by beating TCU, they turn around and pull this stunt. Yellow is an appropriate color for the Bears.

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 09:27 AM
Forgot they made Ken Starr, the Clinton Special Prosecutor, the President of the University -- all he knows is suing. What a dumb move out of a school that should be in the WAC not the Big 12.

Soonermagik
9/7/2011, 09:31 AM
A&M will find a way to leave. They may have to sign some civil liability agreement that would put any litigation on their shoulders. It's like a bad marriage, you don't try to make someone stay on a technicality. I'm sure Beebe and Co. think this will keep the Big 12 together.

If OU is looking for stability they won't find it in the Big 12.

MountainOkie
9/7/2011, 09:32 AM
Greeaaat. So the Big "12" would become a league held together by the threat of litigation. Yeah, that's healthy and not disfunctional at all. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Also, tortious interference with business relations has got to be the MOST rediculous tort ever. It's America, you know the bastion of capitalism. The greatest businessmen in our history "tortiously interfered" with people's business relations all the time. Stealing the best and brightest employees from their competitors, etc. Tort litigation is spinning out into la-la land.

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 09:33 AM
I now hate Baylor as much as A&M and * combined.

Pac-16, Clap, clap, clap!!!

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 09:35 AM
From Twitter: SEC released a statement this morning backing A&M and now Baylor has backed down according to their Twitter:

InsideTAMUTAMUInsider:

Confirmed: Baylor has backed down

ouflak
So will Baylor be suing the PAC-n, B1G, Big East and any other conference who claims a team from the dusty ruins of the Big XII-II-I?

saucysoonergal
Yep, Yellow is the right color after all. ;) Green eyes and yellow back. ;)

Augusta_Sooner
9/7/2011, 09:39 AM
OU's offers were contingent on SEC expansion as far as I can tell. OU/OSU isn't going anywhere if aTm doesn't go anywhere.

For now, Baylor IS stopping the move because they ARE refusing to sign a waiver of litigation which the SEC DID say is important. Now, you have to either get Bayor to agree to a waiver of litigation or get the SEC to change their mind on wanting it.

Baylor is NOT refusing to sign the waiver, they are only thinking about it.....big difference here. Heck, the SEC just voted lastnight, it's not like we're 3 months down the road from their vote and Baylor is still considering whether or not to sign the waiver.

pphilfran
9/7/2011, 09:42 AM
I love it!

Nobody in their wildest dreams could have ever imagined this...

UT and their damn network drawing a low ball poker hand winner...Baylor and the other peons holding royal flushes...

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 09:44 AM
Jr miller on the ticket just reported that Baylor has backed down and agreed to sign

lubbocksooner
9/7/2011, 09:45 AM
Oh yeah, I'm sure they can come with a football schedule in a years time. No risk in that!

I kind of wish they could pull something like that off. But realistically, with most teams having their schedules planned out years in advance, it seems a formidable task. But then again, schedules are renegotiated/shuffled every year, so....

As I said it is risky....but BYU has pulled it off so far so there is precedent. I my opinion they have played their ace so to speak. Now everyone not only knows they want to leave they are trying to. It is just a matter of time. It could take years but they are gone.

bluedogok
9/7/2011, 09:49 AM
I think OU announcing they are leaving the conference may call Baylor's (and UT's) bluff. If Baylor wanted to save the conference they more than likely have failed, they just accelerated its implosion. OU, OSU and whoever else could state they are exploring options, even "going independent" and that could torpedo the entire Baylor attempt. I'm sure that if Starr wants to play hardball politics that Boren is more than up to the challenge.

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 09:51 AM
Ken Starr went after Whitewater and came out with a stained dress, good job Ken!!!

brainpimp
9/7/2011, 09:53 AM
THis is a really dangerous game for Baylor.

If TAMU wanted to pull the ultimate FU, they say yea your right. So we won't go tot he SEC. we'll join OU, OSU and MU in the PAC # . Sorry UT you put the little bastard up to this and now the PAC# is full. you can try the B1G or ACC but best of luck. Let UT drag Baylor around like the obnoxious little brother.

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 09:55 AM
Reporting on Dallas radio according to TXAGS that TX is going Indy and will join Big East for rest of their sports.

They will not give up their Longhorn Network to go the PAC 12 so now we know why the comments from Bob Stoops. Why would OU play them if they are independent and give them any credibility? I am on the side of telling UT to shove it. People can save money and more people can go to our Bowl Games! :)

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 09:56 AM
Texas sucks even more now.

Augusta_Sooner
9/7/2011, 09:58 AM
If Baylor were to threaten the SEC or A&M with a lawsuit, they would be black listed from every BCS conference for future consideration if and when the Big 12 implodes. If you were one of the other BCS conferences, would you want Baylor knowing they may threaten to sue if something doesn't go their way?

rekamrettuB
So it looks like all the crap last year secured Dan Beebe about 2 years of guaranteed salary.

MountainOkie
I am on the side of telling UT to shove it. People can save money and more people can go to our Bowl Games! :)

I can dig that.

Oh, and thank you ut for reminding everyone how pride can be a sin.

Phil
9/7/2011, 10:00 AM
Why would OU play them if they are independent and give them any credibility? I am on the side of telling UT to shove it.

This is a very bad idea. I don't care if they're independent, in the Big East, PAC-?, or whatever. We should always play Texas.

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 10:01 AM
I think Notre Dame has shown us just how great being an Independent can be! (ie. Bottom Dwellers.)

Sabanball
9/7/2011, 10:09 AM
Forgot they made Ken Starr, the Clinton Special Prosecutor, the President of the University -- all he knows is suing. What a dumb move out of a school that should be in the WAC not the Big 12.

As such, we all know that Ken Starr knows a thing or two about getting a lot of mileage out of a lawsuit that won't go anywhere.

Whether Baylor signs the waiver or not and/or whether they actually file their lawsuit, in the long run it won't matter. Just like Neb and CU leaving could not be prevented, TAMU ultimately can affiliate with any conference that they want as long it is done the right way, and I think the SEC went out of its way to ensure that was the case. When our presidents voted several weeks ago that they were content with our present 12 team conference, that was basically a manuever to allow the aggies to first formally withdraw from the Big 12 free of any legal entanglements, and then apply for admission in the SEC. As long as TAMU pays the financial penalties and/or fulfills any obligations it must to sever ties with the Big 12, I seriously doubt any judge, in the state of Texas or anywhere else, is going to stand in the way.

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 10:12 AM
SEC! SEC! SEC!

;)

soonerboomer93
9/7/2011, 10:14 AM
Baylor may have been just holding out for a payout. Wasn't aTm the only one who took the payout/redistribution from the small schools last year? (The 16 mil that OU and UT both declined).

OULenexaman
9/7/2011, 10:14 AM
Seriously, this is rolleyes? :rolleyes: looks more like a burp...

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 10:41 AM
As such, we all know that Ken Starr knows a thing or two about getting a lot of mileage out of a lawsuit that won't go anywhere.

Whether Baylor signs the waiver or not and/or whether they actually file their lawsuit, in the long run it won't matter. Just like Neb and CU leaving could not be prevented, TAMU ultimately can affiliate with any conference that they want as long it is done the right way, and I think the SEC went out of its way to ensure that was the case. When our presidents voted several weeks ago that they were content with our present 12 team conference, that was basically a manuever to allow the aggies to first formally withdraw from the Big 12 free of any legal entanglements, and then apply for admission in the SEC. As long as TAMU pays the financial penalties and/or fulfills any obligations it must to sever ties with the Big 12, I seriously doubt any judge, in the state of Texas or anywhere else, is going to stand in the way.
I agree with you. However, the SEC will have to drop their stipulation that all these waivers be signed.

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't sue.....but I also wouldn't sign a waiver agreeing never to sue.

TXHornsFan
9/7/2011, 10:59 AM
Baylor is NOT refusing to sign the waiver, they are only thinking about it.....big difference here. Heck, the SEC just voted lastnight, it's not like we're 3 months down the road from their vote and Baylor is still considering whether or not to sign the waiver.

The letter from Beebe to the SEC approved the move as long as it officially happened by 5:00 p.m. on Sept. 8. So Baylor only has to hold out for another 30 hours to cause a problem.

Sabanball
9/7/2011, 11:01 AM
Looks like Baylor has blinked....

http://tamu.rivals.com/

OUMallen
9/7/2011, 11:04 AM
The timeline is flying this morning.

sooner518
9/7/2011, 11:17 AM
wouldnt it be pretty easy to prove SEC tampering with A&M? Surely the A&M AD and president discussed this crap with Mike Slive or other SEC officials in email over the last 6 months. last I checked, TAMU was a public university and subject to Freedom of Information Act Requests......

trwxxa
9/7/2011, 12:03 PM
I believe Baylor had already signed the waiver before the letter was sent. The letter was delivered to the SEC Friday and shortly thereafter, Boren made his "we will not be wallflowers" comment. Baylor saw their fate (or was convinced of their fate from Austin) and started pushing back.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 12:16 PM
I believe Baylor had already signed the waiver before the letter was sent. The letter was delivered to the SEC Friday and shortly thereafter, Boren made his "we will not be wallflowers" comment. Baylor saw their fate (or was convinced of their fate from Austin) and started pushing back.

Heard on the radio Norm Hitzgis citing a letter written by TAMU president that "a school" (Baylor) is backtracking on a verbal commitment not to reject the transition

trwxxa
9/7/2011, 12:37 PM
Apparently, the Big 12 Presidents, at least the ones still invited, are meeting with the intent of pulling Baylor back in line.

badger
9/7/2011, 12:41 PM
Why in the hell would Baylor not fight this? Don't think know that the MWC, C-USA or worse, the Sun Belt is in their future?

^^^ what their fanbase has to be thinking right about now ^^^

SoonerinSouthlake
9/7/2011, 12:48 PM
Why in the hell would Baylor not fight this? Don't think know that the MWC, C-USA or worse, the Sun Belt is in their future?

yep.
I have plenty of Baylor friends and badger is right on the money.

one of my die hard Baylor friends....who has been die hard enough (or really bored) to drive from Dallas to every home Baylor game for the last 10 years, said Baylor fans are actually pissed at OU for taking the aggressive role we did. As if it were going to hold together.

They know that if/when the B12 folds they are basically left to be in a crappy conference.

OULenexaman
9/7/2011, 12:50 PM
sounds like your trying to fight it Badge....have a drink....relax. Let's git r done and move on...

ouflak
9/7/2011, 01:07 PM

I doubt any of those conferences are in their future now. They've pretty much scrapped those possibilities with this behavior. If I was a school in one of these conferences with dreams of moving up, I'd never let Baylor even in the conversation of joining my conference.

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 01:18 PM
The problem for Baylor in going to another conference is far more than just an inconvenience or a reduction in status. Their budgets are derived around getting Big 12 money. They won't be getting anywhere near that after a conference switch. Therefore, many of their plans are going to be sidelined and people may lose their jobs. So of course they're going to fight this no matter how bad they look in the process - at least as long as they have any hope of keeping the Big 12 together.

sperry
9/7/2011, 01:25 PM
Jesus let this worthless conference die. I'm so sick of the Texas schools causing problems.

yermom
9/7/2011, 01:33 PM
seems the Baylors and Iowa States should be doing all they can to keep this from happening. if their presidents and ADs aren't, then they are not doing their jobs right. it's not like the Sun Belt or WAC are going to be sharing near as much money with them as the Big 12 has been

Bourbon St Sooner
9/7/2011, 01:44 PM
This is a very bad idea. I don't care if they're independent, in the Big East, PAC-?, or whatever. We should always play Texas.

I absolutely agree with this. And I'm not saying we need to play texas for recruiting. We should play them because it's tradition and it's part of what's great about CFB. Let's not be aTm or nebbish and destroy a great thing out of spite.

FtwTxSooner
9/7/2011, 01:51 PM
I'd like the Texas game to continue, but it depends at what it will cost. If one of the conditions of continuing the game was having it air on the LHN every other year, than hell no, put an end to it. We shouldn't make any unconditional commitments to anything.

sooner59
9/7/2011, 01:54 PM
These idiot texas fans that are saying that OU leaving and not being in a conference with texas will kill our recruiting in the state have a memory about as short as their d1ck. Apparently they don't remember history past 1996. We were the southern-most team in a different conference, and we pulled talent from texas. We will continue to do that even if we don't play texas anymore. Location and tradition attract a ton of talent from north texas to OU. That won't change. I don't "want" to stop playing texas. That being said, they are acting like without that game, nobody would want to play at OU. People leave the state of texas to play all over the damn country. Its not like they can all of a sudden take on 683 scholarships. Jebus, that's dilusional.

prrriiide
9/7/2011, 01:56 PM
We shouldn't make any unconditional commitments to anything.

That isn't in Boren's DNA.

Jebus, that's dilusional.

That's texass.

King Fuzzy
9/7/2011, 02:03 PM
These idiot texas fans that are saying that OU leaving and not being in a conference with texas will kill our recruiting in the state have a memory about as short as their d1ck. Apparently they don't remember history past 1996. We were the southern-most team in a different conference, and we pulled talent from texas. We will continue to do that even if we don't play texas anymore. Location and tradition attract a ton of talent from north texas to OU. That won't change. I don't "want" to stop playing texas. That being said, they are acting like without that game, nobody would want to play at OU. People leave the state of texas to play all over the damn country. Its not like they can all of a sudden take on 683 scholarships. Jebus, that's dilusional.

It's not like Texas fans are cut from a significantly different cloth than the nutbar who wrote that BaylorNation call to crusade in the name of saving Texas football from the infidels.

mehip
9/7/2011, 02:07 PM
Would baylor have an argument or grounds to sue if the aggs just agree to pay the exit fee?

BASSooner
9/7/2011, 02:10 PM
Well apparently Baylor no longer poses a threat to the ags.

http://tamu.rivals.com/default.asp?SR=RivalsFP

Now when do we go west?

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 02:12 PM
That costs money, what does it say?

caseysooner
9/7/2011, 02:14 PM
I don't understand how Baylor fighting this would be a bad idea for them. If I was them I would rally the banners of the doormats in the conference and go down swinging, maybe even get some tv/bowl earning % from departing teams.

JiminyChristmas
9/7/2011, 02:18 PM
Doesn't matter who fights it if anyone. All aTm has to do is wait until 7/1/2012, then join the SEC. They've already notified Big IX that they are out as of 6/30/2012. So after that, whatever they do is their own business.

Basically, not signing the waiver is just delaying the inevitable.

Sabanball
9/7/2011, 02:22 PM
Billy Liucci of Texags.com was just on Finebaum and said that after the Big 12 teleconference held earlier that the threat of Baylor suing still looms as a possibility but regardless TAMU will NOT be playing in the Big 12 after July 1 2012.

OULenexaman
9/7/2011, 03:03 PM
Billy Liucci of Texags.com was just on Finebaum and said that after the Big 12 teleconference held earlier that the threat of Baylor suing still looms as a possibility but regardless TAMU will NOT be playing in the Big 12 after July 1 2012.....yep.....the latest print from espin...."One thing that is clear is that Wednesday's conference call did not end with a resolution. A source close to A&M characterized Baylor as "the ringleader" and stated that the school is "being held hostage."

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2011, 03:12 PM
aTm now beginning to call Boren's statement last Friday, "A brilliant chess move to keep the conference together."

Meaning: OU stays quiet, aTm gone. OU speaks up, threatens to leave and the little brothers panic and make threats. Baylor becomes Boren's tool to keep the conference together.

NormanPride
9/7/2011, 03:25 PM
^^ Yup.

Boren wants to keep the status quo because we are working on our own TV network. By threatening to look at leaving, all the little schools went crying and now our hands are clean. Boren has played everyone, including Texas, like a fiddle.

soonerbub
9/7/2011, 03:39 PM
Totally disagree that Boren wants to maintain the status quo. He laid out the bluff only to gauge texass reaction (and true to form :texan: came through in a great way).

Only thing is: it's not a bluff. Why should the University be dragged through the whims of texass year after year? As for the network Boren & Joe C have to take notice that the whorn network is a complete & total FLOP. I take him at his word & believe we will evac west & leave texass to twist in the wind.

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 03:47 PM
If this really was some kind of move by Boren to keep the Big 12 together, that's very disappointing. Is it going to move forward as a 9-school league? What schools could be added that haven't already turned us down that would actually add value to the conference (rather than just sucking up money that could go to existing schools)? I don't believe there are any. And threats of lawsuits to keep schools where they don't want to be is contrary to wanting a stable conference - which is what Boren has indicated he wants.

saucysoonergal
9/7/2011, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the Little IX!

NormanPride
9/7/2011, 03:52 PM
I don't know that we'd stick with it as a 9 team league, but you've got to realize that when Boren made those comments, the SEC hadn't said anything about actually extending an invite to the aggies. What I read it as was stirring the pot so that the SEC was deterred from offering by litigation - exactly what happened. Now, it looks like everything is moving forward regardless, but Boren has put us in the perfect position politically and legally to make a move for our own good.

To me, he was hoping to keep the league and expand later. However, he was flexible enough to realize this may not happen, and to put us in a good position.

badger
9/7/2011, 03:56 PM
Hate to disagree with you dear, but the David Boring stuff came out on Sept. 3. The Loser Beebe letter to the SEC was dated Sept. 2. You know, that letter that said the Big 12 and all its member institutions had no problem with the SEC taking A&M. :D

I think that stance was one that prompted Uncle Dave to speak out... that and having media onhand anyway to discuss some new fangled student housing project right before the home opener

NormanPride
9/7/2011, 04:01 PM
All the more reason to stir the pot, hon. Notice I said it was before the SEC offered anything but maybes. The Big 12 giving their supposed blessings has nothing to do with the SEC actually acting on the opportunity, which was what Boren's statements were designed to thwart.

Widescreen
9/7/2011, 04:16 PM
Hate to disagree with you dear, but the David Boring stuff came out on Sept. 3. The Loser Beebe letter to the SEC was dated Sept. 2. You know, that letter that said the Big 12 and all its member institutions had no problem with the SEC taking A&M. :D

I think that stance was one that prompted Uncle Dave to speak out... that and having media onhand anyway to discuss some new fangled student housing project right before the home opener
Boren made his comments on Friday (Sept 2). Whether it was before or after Beebe's letter, I don't know.

thecynic
9/7/2011, 05:17 PM
From Twitter:

Jake_Trotter
Don't expect OU to make commitment to other schools as it explores conference options. Doesn't matter to OU if Baylor sues SEC

SoonerMom2
9/7/2011, 05:19 PM
From Twitter:

Jake_Trotter
Don't expect OU to make commitment to other schools as it explores conference options. Doesn't matter to OU if Baylor sues SEC

This may be one of the funniest things I have read from Twitter.

sooner59
9/7/2011, 05:25 PM
LOL!

Sooner5030
9/7/2011, 05:31 PM
now 6 schools not willing to sign waiver. This is getting good. At the very least the aggy celebration is overshadowed by problems.

sooner59
9/7/2011, 05:37 PM
News from Waco is that OU has agreed to stay in the Big 12 in exchange for equal revenue sharing, among other things. Not that I believe this until I hear it from a legit source. That would be irritating. A lot going on behind the scenes today.

mehip
9/7/2011, 05:45 PM
News from Waco is that OU has agreed to stay in the Big 12 in exchange for equal revenue sharing, among other things. Not that I believe this until I hear it from a legit source. That would be irritating. A lot going on behind the scenes today.

This would really suck. I am so tired of the texass teams and their petty bull****. This conference has lost one of it's three marquee/elite teams and after the aggs leave it will have lost two of it's historically good teams. And, not a single consistently good team has been offered to fill the void. Lets just move on.

JiminyChristmas
9/7/2011, 05:46 PM
Why would OU want equal revenue sharing when we get more than anyone else with the way it is now? That doesn't sound like a logical reason for OU to re-commit to the Little IX.

soonerbub
9/7/2011, 05:50 PM
Sounds about right. We will ask texass for concessions that they will never agree to so they have to be the ones to say no.

Then we pack our bags. I have to say the deeper the steer**** runs out of asstin the more I am for ending our conference partnership & if they want to continue to play in the Cotton Bowl in Octobers of the future that we play hardball on that too.

As I said last year unlike the fuskers we are willing & able to fight it out with the whorns & come out victorious.

limey_sooner
9/7/2011, 05:56 PM
Why would OU want equal revenue sharing when we get more than anyone else with the way it is now? That doesn't sound like a logical reason for OU to re-commit to the Little IX.

Yeah, I thought the same. now if they offered to fire Beebe as a sweetener AND demand that the fields of all of the teams trying to hold OU hostage must adorn their stadiums with OU colors and logos, that would be different

bluedogok
9/7/2011, 05:58 PM

Sounds about right. We will ask texass for concessions that they will never agree to so they have to be the ones to say no.
^^^^^ This

If the report is accurate, that is the reason for that condition and I bet it includes all third tier (LHN) revenues be shared as well. We all know that UT will not agree to anything that doesn't give them an advantage. If UT does not agree, then that could be used as "just cause" for an exit because UT is not willing to be an equal conference member. This is a big time game of poker...

sooner59
9/7/2011, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I thought the same. now if they offered to fire Beebe as a sweetener AND demand that the fields of all of the teams trying to hold OU hostage must adorn their stadiums with OU colors and logos, that would be different

I have also heard this may happen as well. Apparently he sent a letter to Slive saying that neither the Big 12, NOR any of its institutions would attempt legal action against the SEC. And apparently, he didn't have the schools' word on that, just spoke for them. Now that Baylor, ISU, KSU, KU, Tech, and Mizzou have said they aren't signing that and will retain their right to legal action, Beebe has restated that it was just the Big 12, not the individual schools that would not attempt legal action. Its been tweeted by one of the inside people that it may have just gotten him fired.

I don't know what is actually happening, but man do I wish I was a fly on the wall in Boren's office.

soonerbub
9/7/2011, 06:27 PM
Listening to that jackass Rohde with Al & his poorly hidden contempt for OU is coming out today. Saying things like "oh the poor fans" & "why doesn't OU just commit" blah blah blah.

As bluedog said we are in the high-limit room now and ****ing imbeciles with an agenda on OKC local radio is not helpful in the current situation.

Too bad Al is just a caricature now and only mutters uhhhhh yeeahhhh uhhhhhh ad infinitum

trwxxa
9/7/2011, 09:38 PM
I have also heard this may happen as well. Apparently he sent a letter to Slive saying that neither the Big 12, NOR any of its institutions would attempt legal action against the SEC. And apparently, he didn't have the schools' word on that, just spoke for them. Now that Baylor, ISU, KSU, KU, Tech, and Mizzou have said they aren't signing that and will retain their right to legal action, Beebe has restated that it was just the Big 12, not the individual schools that would not attempt legal action. Its been tweeted by one of the inside people that it may have just gotten him fired.

I don't know what is actually happening, but man do I wish I was a fly on the wall in Boren's office.

It will be interesting to see if the Big XII or any of the schools start waving the letter at 5pm Thursday if all of the issues are not resolved and A&M has not been invited.

LosAngelesSooner
9/8/2011, 01:11 AM
I've got to hand it to the Aggies...THAT...is how you hate your in state rival. :D