PDA

View Full Version : Stoops says J. Miller to Transfer

cccasooner2
9/6/2011, 06:42 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rapid-reports/post/15537861

jumperstop
9/6/2011, 06:50 PM
Sucks, but we won't miss him. GL to him wherever he decides to go.

sooner KB
9/6/2011, 06:51 PM
Well there goes the national championship :mad:

SoonerofAlabama
9/6/2011, 06:51 PM
Too bad. We'll be fine. Whaley, Finch, and CLay with Calhoun and Williams as insurance still.

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2011, 07:02 PM
Dang, he was a player I really wanted to see. I'll also miss the visits here from jmillerfan. Good luck to both of you.

OUInformant
9/6/2011, 07:33 PM
You know, we just have too many talented running backs. We can't play them all.

J. Miller is a good running back, and I think he is going to be very successful wherever he goes. Just like Tashard Choice.

olevetonahill
9/6/2011, 07:47 PM
I wish him well

badger
9/6/2011, 07:52 PM
Has anyone brought up the fact that this will free up a scholarship at the running back position? :)

And good luck to Miller.

gaylordfan1
9/6/2011, 08:00 PM
I read he isn't leaving til the spring. Or is he gone as of today?

RIPOUinsider
9/6/2011, 08:07 PM
He leaves after this semester in December according to twitter.

opksooner
9/6/2011, 08:23 PM
You hate to lose talent, but that's the downside of having so much of it. Good luck to him, wherever he lands.

LVSOONER15
9/6/2011, 08:25 PM
Good luck to wherever you go JM. Hate to see you leave.

hawaii 5-0
9/6/2011, 08:28 PM
He was a good one when healthy.

5-0

Boomer.....
9/6/2011, 08:29 PM
You know, we just have too many talented running backs. We can't play them all.

J. Miller is a good running back, and I think he is going to be very successful wherever he goes. Just like Tashard Choice.
This. Great teams are always going to run into these problems but they are good problems to have. Good luck to him.

hawaii 5-0
9/6/2011, 08:32 PM
I wonder how many good backs aren't looking at OU because we're so loaded in the RB position.

5-0

soonerboomer93
9/6/2011, 08:37 PM
Best of luck to him

VA Sooner
9/6/2011, 09:05 PM
Down to 5 running backs... getting a little thin there.

Anyone on waivers?

CatfishSooner
9/6/2011, 09:09 PM
darn...i wanted to watch him play...he's gonna be a great one wherever he ends up

Widescreen
9/6/2011, 09:10 PM
What about Danzel Williams? Haven't heard a peep about him but his highlight video looked impressive.

Wishboned
9/6/2011, 09:36 PM

Anyone on waivers?

Maybe we can convert a couple of our kickers to running backs.

MyT Oklahoma
9/6/2011, 09:37 PM
Happens. But wishing him only the best.

Soonermagik
9/6/2011, 09:40 PM
Didn't he play in the 4th quarter against Tulsa? I think he did and didn't look very good against a worn down Tulsa team. Not a big loss at all. OU has so many backs and Miller could start at a Rice type school.

WE ARE dirtburglars
9/6/2011, 09:41 PM
What about Danzel Williams? Haven't heard a peep about him but his highlight video looked impressive.

he will be a beast, I know it.

Redshirt
9/6/2011, 09:41 PM
I heard tha we have 5 kickers on scholly, maybe we can get a sixth?

jk the sooner fan
9/6/2011, 09:57 PM
well Brandon Williams is probably smiling

sooner59
9/6/2011, 10:13 PM
Whaley may have just got his scholarship.

SoonerofAlabama
9/6/2011, 10:19 PM
I heard tha we have 5 kickers on scholly, maybe we can get a sixth?

5 on the roster.

2 on scholly.

E-Town
9/6/2011, 10:30 PM
Good Luck to J. Miller...isn't this what happen with Tashard Choice?

gaylordfan1
9/6/2011, 10:33 PM
well Brandon Williams is probably smiling Or JC.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2011, 12:51 AM
Didn't he play in the 4th quarter against Tulsa? I think he did and didn't look very good against a worn down Tulsa team. Not a big loss at all. OU has so many backs and Miller could start at a Rice type school.

He came in for a few carries behind the 2nd line that wasn't opening holes for anyone. He's a very good back and we'll hear about him again if he lands in the right situation.

sperry
9/7/2011, 01:00 AM
Wish him all the best. He's gonna have to go 1-AA though, or he'll only get one year to play. It's a shame that his place on the depth chart wasn't determined a little earlier so he could transfer before the season and not lose a year.

SoonerBorn85
9/7/2011, 01:14 AM
I did read that he was probably going to a 1-AA school. I hope he gets some quality PT wherever he ends up.

Curly Bill
9/7/2011, 01:43 AM
I thouht he ran hard and was tough to bring down on the few carries he got Saturday. But yeah...behind the line we had in there at the time he had little chance. Of course Tulsa also knew we were gonna be running the ball that late in the game.

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 01:55 AM

Dominique Whaley, Brennan Clay, Roy Finch, Jermaine Calhoun, and Brandon Williams? I've never seen a RB crew so thin. That's only one starter, the back-up, three 5-star recruits, and one solid FB that the coaches love that can line up at RB. We better find some one fast or we will be in big trouble.

[/sarcasm]

Curly Bill
9/7/2011, 01:58 AM
You mean Jermie Calhoun and only he and Williams were 5-stars.

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 02:06 AM
You mean Jermie Calhoun and only he and Williams were 5-stars.

You mean only 2 5-star recruits at 3rd and 5th string? Guys, I think we're a little on the thin side here. This is just unacceptable for OU.

Curly Bill
9/7/2011, 02:09 AM
It's funny actually that a walk-on, and two lowly 4-stars (Clay & Finch) are playing in front of the two 5-stars. I love to follow recruiting, but it's sure not an exact science.

Curly Bill
9/7/2011, 02:10 AM
...and I'm joking about the lowly 4-star thing. All 4-star recruits are obviously highly thought of, and both Finch and Clay were on the high end of the 4-star ratings. FWIW

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 02:11 AM
It's funny actually that a walk-on, and two lowly 4-stars (Clay & Finch) are playing in front of the two 5-stars. I love to follow recruiting, but it's sure not an exact science.

True, but one 5-star is only a true freshman, and I remember quite a bit of talk about Finch and Clay coming out of HS, even if they were 4-star recruits.

Curly Bill
9/7/2011, 02:23 AM
I liked Clay a lot from what I saw Sunday. He looked good last year, but I thought he looked much better Saturday night. Great hands on him, and he ran harder than I remember from last season.

vtsooner21
9/7/2011, 05:56 AM
Gee, and what would I do with that scholarship? Hmmmm perhaps award it to a guy who may score 4 td's in a game for us? A guy who may not have a present scholarship?
Boomer

cleller
9/7/2011, 08:33 AM
Maybe we can convert a couple of our kickers to running backs.

...or a couple of running backs to kickers.

NormanPride
9/7/2011, 09:02 AM
The next Tashard Choice. Good luck, Miller! We'll miss seeing your dad around Sooner forums as well. :)

jk the sooner fan
9/7/2011, 09:02 AM
I'm sure we can find somebody to carry the ball 7 times for 30 yards.....

oumartin
9/7/2011, 10:13 AM
before he got hurt I really thought he was going to be the next great OU back. He showed signs of it. I for one am sad to see him go.

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 10:26 AM
before he got hurt I really thought he was going to be the next great OU back. He showed signs of it. I for one am sad to see him go.

In which game(s) did you see these signs? Nothing against Miller or anything, it just makes me scratch my head when someone on here says something like that about Miller. Did he have a good spring game or something I missed?

BigDeezy
9/7/2011, 10:42 AM
I am very disappointed at this news. I really liked JMill and had looked for him to play alot this year. I thought he would make a great contribution. Obviously he is talented, has the guts to stay with it and come back after injuries, and has been very team oriented. I liked all the things he was saying on video interviews prior to the season. I wish him nothing but the best where ever he goes and will follow his career. I know he will indeed be another success story like Tasard Choice.

oumartin
9/7/2011, 10:45 AM
his 7 yards a carry his freshman year is what I am referring too. showed great speed and explosiveness. Then he got hurt

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2011, 11:06 AM
his 7 yards a carry his freshman year is what I am referring too. showed great speed and explosiveness. Then he got hurt

This. The few times he got carries in '09, he made something happen. And it stood out because the other backs were getting stuffed behind that O-line we fielded that year.

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 11:09 AM

Hmm. I'll believe you I guess, but I don't remember Miller playing anything other than mop-up duty at the very end of a few games. From my memory, he came in late when defenses that weren't already that good were really worn down. But I could seriously be forgetting a game or two.

Salt City Sooner
9/7/2011, 11:45 AM
Hmm. I'll believe you I guess, but I don't remember Miller playing anything other than mop-up duty at the very end of a few games. From my memory, he came in late when defenses that weren't already that good were really worn down. But I could seriously be forgetting a game or two.
Nah, you're not. He had 130 yards in '09 & 88 of that came in mop up time against Idaho St. The only other significant (if you can call it that) carries he got was in the Tulsa blowout (7 for 30)

That being said, from all accounts he's been nothing but a high character guy in his time here & I wish him the best whereever he decides to go.

JudInKC
9/7/2011, 11:50 AM
This. The few times he got carries in '09, he made something happen. And it stood out because the other backs were getting stuffed behind that O-line we fielded that year.

He had the longest run for TD vs Idaho State in 2009, and I think it was almost 40 yards.

I was hoping he would make it and get to play quite a bit, but the knee injury must have set him back some.

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 11:50 AM
Nah, you're not. He had 130 yards in '09 & 88 of that came in mop up time against Idaho St. The only other significant (if you can call it that) carries he got was in the Tulsa blowout (7 for 30)

Thanks, that's pretty much what I remember, though I couldn't remember the specific games. It's odd how some people get really get excited about a certain player, and have their memories altered in the process.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2011, 12:00 PM
My memory is intact. I'm not talking about huge stats - just a few good looking runs where he made some things happen when it wasn't working for other backs - including DM. It doesn't mean he could make it happen all the time, it just showed some potential that wasn't realized. Finch is another example of that, but he has been given many more chances. He has a few highlight runs and shows a lot of potential, but he was thrown around like a ragdoll in the aTm game when we faced a decent defense. If he were to transfer now, it would be perceived that we lost a lock for the next RB Heisman statue.

yankee
9/7/2011, 02:52 PM
Good luck to Miller. Wish it had panned out here.

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 04:58 PM
My memory is intact. I'm not talking about huge stats - just a few good looking runs where he made some things happen when it wasn't working for other backs - including DM. It doesn't mean he could make it happen all the time, it just showed some potential that wasn't realized. Finch is another example of that, but he has been given many more chances. He has a few highlight runs and shows a lot of potential, but he was thrown around like a ragdoll in the aTm game when we faced a decent defense. If he were to transfer now, it would be perceived that we lost a lock for the next RB Heisman statue.

Name the game where it wasn't working for DM, so they sent in Miller. I only remember him doing mop up duty on a few occasions.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2011, 05:02 PM
Miller was a good looking back..You can tell when a guy is just exploiting a bad defense and when he has a pretty good skillset. As a runner, the guy is extremely gifted...Maybe not the blocker or receiver the other guys are, but just as good of a runner

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2011, 05:37 PM
Miller was a good looking back..You can tell when a guy is just exploiting a bad defense and when he has a pretty good skillset. As a runner, the guy is extremely gifted...Maybe not the blocker or receiver the other guys are, but just as good of a runner

I agree with you, but if you can't convince soonerKB, then it really doesn't matter how many of us were impressed with his brief display of skills. We are mistaken.

jmillerfan
9/7/2011, 06:39 PM
It's a little deeper than playing time fellas honestly. I read all the stuff on these forums and have very thick skin just know it was a little deeper than just playing time. Cale stated that running the ball he had no problem putting Jonathon in the game and that he was very close to being the guy and that it would have probably changed but he went with what he felt was consistent in week one which is totally fair. However I don't think there is one running back that runs the ball better than the other from what I was told it was just some of the other things that needed to be done more consistently.

Breadburner
9/7/2011, 06:55 PM
Is he dead set on being an RB......???

Hotrod3157
9/7/2011, 06:56 PM
Good luck to him. Seems like a good kid with his head on straight. Im sure he'll do great wherever he transfers.

sooner KB
9/7/2011, 07:06 PM
I agree with you, but if you can't convince soonerKB, then it really doesn't matter how many of us were impressed with his brief display of skills. We are mistaken.

I just want you to tell me which game Demarco Murray wasn't getting it done, and Miller had to be sent in. From what I can gather, he had one 40 yard run late in the Idaho St game, and had 30 yards on 7 carries late in the tulsa blowout. Other than that, I think it was a handful of carries in one or two other blow outs.

I'm not trying to say he wasnt a good back, I just don't see any basis for the idea that he ever looked like he would be anything above a 3rd or 4th string back. I don't even remember hearing much praise from the coaches during fall practice or the spring. (Though I'm sure they've made some positive comments, just not the kind you hear like with Finch and Clay and Williams.)

PLaw
9/7/2011, 08:42 PM
Very disappointing. I really liked what he showed as a FR before his injury. I thought he would compete for PT this year. I will miss him.

Best wishes on solid career, JM.

BOOMER

Seamus
9/7/2011, 08:48 PM
I'm sure we can find somebody to carry the ball 7 times for 30 yards.....

Kabba Kabba Hey!

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2011, 09:33 PM
It's a little deeper than playing time fellas honestly. I read all the stuff on these forums and have very thick skin just know it was a little deeper than just playing time. Cale stated that running the ball he had no problem putting Jonathon in the game and that he was very close to being the guy and that it would have probably changed but he went with what he felt was consistent in week one which is totally fair. However I don't think there is one running back that runs the ball better than the other from what I was told it was just some of the other things that needed to be done more consistently.

Glad you're still here for a while. Let us know where Jonathon lands since I doubt it will be highly publicized. Wished it could have worked out in crimson, but I'm sure he can find a place to shine.

Curly Bill
9/7/2011, 09:40 PM
I'm usually not one to wish kids well when they leave here, kinda the ol you're with us or you're against us kinda deal, but I did wish Nichol well when he left, and I'll do the same here. He was buried on the depth chart and I don't know that without injury (knock on wood) that was gonna get better for him.

FWIW I think he's got a better chance to be a player somewhere else than Justin Johnson who also left us.