PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded celebration rule.

LASooner
9/5/2011, 02:37 AM
I watched a lot of football and didn't see any game in which they pulled points off the board for showboating. Anyone else see it happen?

Of course we all have the Miami game tomorrow night so never say never.

DenverSooner751
9/5/2011, 03:19 AM
Hmmmmm, not being as knowledgable as i should on the rulebook, isn't this considered a dead ball penalty? I think this limits the pealty to be on the proceeding play. If somebody showboats after a non scoring play they get the 15 yard conduct penalty but it's from the end of the play meaning if you needed 10 yards for a first down and you pick up 10 but then showboat, it's still first and 10, but 15 yards from the end of the play (5 yards behind the previous line of scrimmage.)

If this is correct then points coming off the board as a result of showboating isn't possible. I don't think there is a discretion element to the rule allowing the refs to pull points.

Anybody know this better?

It is Thug U though....instead of pulling points they'll just pull hooker rights.

LASooner
9/5/2011, 03:35 AM
New rule went into effect this season which will pull points off the board if it happened during the play 15 yards from the spot of the foul. If the play unnecessarily dives into the endzone, the ball will be placed at the 15 as the foul occurred at the goalline. There was quite a bit of discussion about this in the media during the off season, but it's been overshadowed by other events. Keep an eye out.. somewhere...some game is going to be affected adversely by this new rule.

DenverSooner751
9/5/2011, 07:10 AM
Damn rule changes!

I hope there isn't anybody stupid enough on our team to do that in a big game.

Jacie
9/5/2011, 08:51 AM
If the player unnecessarily dives into the endzone or running parallel to the goal line with no defender in sight aka The Blackmon Rule . . .

kevpks
9/5/2011, 09:26 AM
If the player unnecessarily dives into the endzone or running parallel to the goal line with no defender in sight aka The Blackmon Rule . . .

I might be mistaken but wasn't there an NFL game last year where a player ran parallel to the goal line, not to showboat but to run some clock off on a breakaway TD? I guess that would be way too risky in college now.

soonercastor
9/5/2011, 09:36 AM
I might be mistaken but wasn't there an NFL game last year where a player ran parallel to the goal line, not to showboat but to run some clock off on a breakaway TD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-aU3MCC_OM

Breadburner
9/5/2011, 09:42 AM
Excelent rule.....

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2011, 11:17 AM
I might be mistaken but wasn't there an NFL game last year where a player ran parallel to the goal line, not to showboat but to run some clock off on a breakaway TD? I guess that would be way too risky in college now.

A Denver player did that a couple of years ago. It was that flukey last second pass play that beat the Bengals. The guy caught a deflected pass intended for Marshall and ran for the score, but to shave more seconds away from the Bengals' offense, he ran the width of the field inside the 5 before scoring. Very heady play and yes, a stupid ref in college would probably flag this. But I believe the rule requires the refs to huddle afterward and agree on the call. Hopefully, they would wave off the penalty in that case. The plays I think may end up controversial are both the diving and high-stepping ones. Defenders often dive and swipe at the ball carriers legs out of desperation once they get inside the 5. High stepping and diving to the goal line are legit moves to avoid getting tripped up and the runner may not know how close the defender is.

bluedogok
9/5/2011, 11:28 AM
My understanding is that it pulls points off the board if the officials deem a celebration took place outside the endzone, high stepping, showing the ball to an opposing player, etc. in the field of play would generate the penalty from the spot of the foul. If it happens at the 5 yard line it would move the ball back to the 20 and whatever the down/distance situation would be. I think one that happens clearly in the end zone is enforced just like the previous rule. An uncontested dive into the end zone starts in the field of play, so it would it be called at the spot where the dive started.

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2011, 11:50 AM
My understanding is that it pulls points off the board if the officials deem a celebration took place outside the endzone, high stepping, showing the ball to an opposing player, etc. in the field of play would generate the penalty from the spot of the foul. If it happens at the 5 yard line it would move the ball back to the 20 and whatever the down/distance situation would be. I think one that happens clearly in the end zone is enforced just like the previous rule. An uncontested dive into the end zone starts in the field of play, so it would it be called at the spot where the dive started.

Exactly, so it becomes a judgement call if a high-step or endzone dive is a legitimate tackle avoidance maneuver. The ball carrier may not know how close the defender is and do one of these just in case. "Judgement call" and college refs is not a good combo. Showing the ball to the defender is an easy case because that is never a good football technique. The DeSean Jackson thing was obvious too, but there will be gray areas.

bluedogok
9/5/2011, 12:19 PM
Hasn't it pretty much always been a "judgment call"? Although the Miami teams in the 80's pretty much made it an easy call at the time.

The high step or dive is actually a pretty easy one, I am thinking more of the one where no player is within ten yards of the ball carrier, which we have seen plenty of over the years. I think when it is done as an avoidance maneuver would be pretty clear. The same thing with a clock burn at the end of the half/game, but yes ultimately it comes down to a judgment call.

badger
9/5/2011, 12:35 PM
This looks like a good vBet option for bye week :D

8timechamps
9/5/2011, 12:42 PM
The rule (also adopted by many high school referee associations) says that if the play is deemed to single out an individual for celebration, it's a personal foul and will result in a 15 yard penalty (from the previous los) and loss of down.

In theory, refs are supposed to throw the flag IF a player is drawing attention to himself after a score. In reality, it'll be misused (most likely in some big game that will decide the outcome).

I get the spirit of the rule, I just can't stand rules that punish players for celebrating (with their team) after making a big play. As long as it's not at the expense of an opposing player (i.e. throat slashing, pointing while running into the endzone, etc.), what's the problem? Isn't football still a game??

badger
9/5/2011, 12:45 PM
I might not support it if it causes us to lose, but when Ryan Broyles strutted past a defender when were getting crushed by Tech on the road, I was shamefully covering my eyes.

(further proof that Tech should have never fired Mikey and any programs that were embarrassed this past weekend need to hire him pronto)

Jacie
9/5/2011, 01:01 PM
(further proof that Tech should have never fired Mikey and any programs that were embarrassed this past weekend need to hire him pronto)

Hello, is this Mike Leach? Hi! I'm Jack Swarbrick. Would you be interested in an OC position? No? How about Head Coach?

VA Sooner
9/5/2011, 01:05 PM
Nope... haven't seen a celebration penalty wipe off points yet. I pity the fool that is the first to do it though... you know that the college world is waiting and some kid is going to get pounced on by his head coach... it's gonna happen...

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2011, 01:10 PM
Hasn't it pretty much always been a "judgment call"? Although the Miami teams in the 80's pretty much made it an easy call at the time.

The high step or dive is actually a pretty easy one, I am thinking more of the one where no player is within ten yards of the ball carrier, which we have seen plenty of over the years. I think when it is done as an avoidance maneuver would be pretty clear. The same thing with a clock burn at the end of the half/game, but yes ultimately it comes down to a judgment call.

Sure, it's always a judgement call and we've seen some pretty egregious ones in the past. But now it could costs points instead of just a penalty. When you say a high step or a dive is an easy call, you are giving the refs way more credit than I am. It also requires a ref to read minds via body language. I personally think it is good coaching to have a player high step near the goal line to avoid a leg swipe regardless of where the defender is. Defenders can come from the other side and I don't want my runner slowing down by looking back every which way. Go back to our infamous UO game where we go for it on 4th down and AD breaks clean up the middle for a score and starts high stepping 15 yards out. It looks like he begins his high step to avoid tacklers crossing in the middle, but then just continues all the way to the endzone when he knows he is in the clear. I think it would be just wrong if that play is called back and I don't say that because it was AD - that one just sticks in my mind because it was OU and a memorable moment.