PDA

View Full Version : Texas Legislature telling Whorns to slow down-Legal action looming for SEC

SoonerinSouthlake
9/4/2011, 11:24 PM
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1260448

Legislators and statewide office holders have swung into high-pressure mode to get Texas president Bill Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds to slow down any decision that might involve the Longhorns joining the Pac-12, multiple sources said Sunday.

With reports surfacing that Oklahoma is all but ready to commit to the Pac-12, Texas lawmakers are so concerned about the Longhorns possibly following suit that a full-court press is being made to slow things down by elected officials and corporate CEOs with influence, sources said.

"We don't want any hasty decision being made that hasn't been well thought out," one lawmaker told Orangebloods.com on Sunday.

Sources said the reason lawmakers are hot is that they received assurances from the Big 12, including Powers, that the Big 12 would survive without Texas A&M.

And because of those assurances, lawmakers did not take an aggressive stand against Texas A&M withdrawing from the Big 12. But that may be changing.

Sources said members of the Legislature are or will be reaching out to Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin to tell him the Aggies may no longer have the blessing of lawmakers to leave the Big 12, especially if it looks like the Big 12 will collapse.

According to sources close to Texas A&M, there is expected to be more movement involving the Aggies and the Southeastern Conference Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

Sources say statewide office holders such as lieutenant governor David Dewhurst and Texas House Speaker Joe Straus haven't been active on realignment up to this point but now are getting involved.

A source in the Big 12 says there is also an increasing likelihood of litigation against the Southeastern Conference as well as the Pac-12 if the Big 12 comes apart.

In other words, it's about to get messy.

Orangebloods.com reported Friday night that Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call Friday afternoon with Big 12 presidents - excluding OU's David Boren, UT's Bill Powers and A&M's Bowen Loftin. The purpose of the call, sources said, was to get the rest of the Big 12 to "work on Texas" and keep the Longhorns in the league.

It's Beebe's belief that Oklahoma wouldn't be accepted into the Pac-12 without Texas, sources said. But sources have told Orangebloods.com Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott would take OU and Oklahoma State with or without Texas.

The question then becomes would OU go to the Pac-12 without Texas?

There is wide belief among those involved in this situation that OU needs the Texas rivalry and the ability to keep playing games in the state of Texas for recruiting purposes so much that it would forego the Pac-12 if Texas decided to stay in the Big 12.

But reports out of Oklahoma the past two days have said OU is totally focused on the Pac-12 and may be ready to commit.

A source close to Texas told Orangebloods.com Friday night that Texas is "leaning" toward the Pac-12 if Oklahoma would make such a move.

That source said Sunday the percentages of Texas joining OU in a move to the Pac-12 "are increasing. But a lot can change in seven or eight days."

Those things that could influence Texas' thought process are the pressure from lawmakers to hold the Big 12 together; ESPN's influence on the situation as the Tier 1 rights holder in the Big 12 and as the owner/operator of the Longhorn Network; and perhaps the appeal of another conference, the Texas source said.

A Texas source and an industry source say the Longhorn Network can be reworked to accommodate the Pac-12 and is not an obstacle for Texas to join that league. But sources say Texas has not indicated to ESPN that it plans to change conferences.

Legislative sources say Texas is telling them if Oklahoma leaves for the Pac-12, the Big 12 is dead and the Longhorns' best option would be to go with OU and join the Pac-12. Those legislative forces, however, are telling Texas to tell Oklahoma to slow down.

The pressure is mounting everywhere in this latest round of college realignment.

Stay tuned.

BASSooner
9/4/2011, 11:46 PM
sucks for Saxet. I really don't care for them. Also, Beebe is an idiot if he thinks that the Pac12 won't take us unless the whorns come with us. David Boren is OUr president. He WILL make it happen.

CatfishSooner
9/4/2011, 11:50 PM
Texas SUCKS

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2011, 11:54 PM
Those legislative forces, however, are telling Texas to tell Oklahoma to slow down.

The pressure is mounting everywhere in this latest round of college realignment.

Stay tuned.

Yes Texas, you tell that Oklahoma.

Fuuuking Texas politicians...Santa Anna tried.

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2011, 12:13 AM
ut didn't think OU would actually pull the trigger. WE WILL. Now they're crying to mommy to save the Big12. UT wants the AQ status of the B12 with the additional revenue of the whorn network above all. UT is pushing this legislative interference behind the scenes now that Boren is about to call their bluff. A&M wasn't willing to allow both and now it's becoming obvious that we aren't either.

If A&M is forced to stay, the remaining conf members need to:
a) move all B12 offices and activities out of the state of Texas immediately.
b) vote in equal revenue sharing
c) equal shares of all 3rd tier revenues.
d) fire Beebe

Otherwise, we should leave anyway. I know we benefit (to a lesser extent than texas) from unequal revenue, but it (and UT's contstant attempts to teabag everyone) is killing this conference. The Big8 did not agree to allow the texas teams in just to be another SWC. The texas legislature can suck OU's taint.

ouflak
9/5/2011, 01:12 AM
And just what does the Texas legislature really think they are going to be able to do?

Pass a bill requiring Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, OU, OSU, and Missouri to remain in the Big 12? Umm... sorry guys, WRONG STATE.

Close down their flagship university by cutting off funding to it? That would only mean that they and their families would have to permanently leave the state of Texas, never to return.

They have no 'power'. They need to to stick to representing their constituencies, securing their own re-election campaigns, and kissing babies. A&M, UT, Baylor and Tech may flub a few things here and there in all of this, but their professionals still know a hell of a lot more about what's going on and what to do about it than any of these politicians.

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2011, 01:34 AM
UT wants to stay with OU -- there is little doubt about it.

Like I said when the first reports of Aggie leaving surfaced, the Big xii is dead. I can only hope and pray that we haven't been sitting around trusting UT and the legislature to keep things going.

We should have taken ownership of our future weeks ago and hopefully we've been lobbying the big east pretty hard to extend an invitation. Otherwise, we're going to be left without a chair when the music stops.

LASooner
9/5/2011, 01:46 AM
What is this overwhelming "OU can't go anywhere without Texas" "OU is attached at the hip with Texas" crap? I started hearing it last season, the first time around and it's gotten worse during this most recent shake up. OU did just fine not being in the same conference with Texas for many many decades, and if Texas stops that rivalry game, that's on Texas completely, and for nothing more than petty bs. If OU takes OSU to the PAC, there is absolutely no reason OU and Texas couldn't continue to play each other every year as they did when it was a Big 8/SWC matchup, and if they don't want that, maybe OU can just go back to playing Nebraska every year. And the fact that Beebe and Texas don't think the PAC would take OU in heartbeat just goes to show everyone, how completely delusional they are. Because although OU doesn't play in a big market, Dallas is very much a DMA that cares about Sooner football. The Pac would be happy to get in there. The question is, if the Big 12 folds, who's actually going to be around to sue the SEC? Texas?

101sooner
9/5/2011, 01:48 AM
That rivals story has as much credibility as any one of a thousand posts on this forum. I can say "sources" told me all day long as long as I don't have to reveal my sources. This realignment situation has really brought the lack of media accountability to light. The same folks that wrote that article could simply write another one tomorrow and no one will remember what they wrote today.

Sooner_Tuf
9/5/2011, 02:04 AM
i think it's sad that we can't have a functional conference in the center of the US. The only reason I don't care if Texas goes with us to the PAC is they won't allow Texas to continue it's role as conference killer. Which is one reason Texas doesn't want to go. They have had a hundred years of living off the backs of the SWC and the Big XII.

Nobody likes or trusts Texas. They like the fact they are rich but nobody respects how they got much of it. It would be interesting to how much dirt gets exposed when someone is making sure they follow the same rules as anyone else. Lord knows the Big XII hasn't done that.

Dodds might just have to retire if put in a situation where he can't say or do whatever he wants. It must just be a personal thing for Dodds as he's not even a Texas guy, he's a K-State guy. I can't wait to hear Dodds lay it out to Stanford, Cal, USC, or any member of the PAC 6. Texas has nothing on those schools and they'll let him know who the house belongs to in a hearbeat. They don't need Texas. Texas of course has other options like the Big 10. They won't be anymore impressed with Texas than the PAC.

Unless Texas can save the Big XII their run as ******* of the century will be ending soon.

RedstickSooner
9/5/2011, 02:15 AM
If we're a verbal commit to the Pac-10, can we still take visits with the SEC and ACC?

101sooner
9/5/2011, 02:26 AM
Texas has truly hamstrung themselves with this LHN deal. They made the deal at the absolutely worst possible time. They really only have a few choices:

1. Void the contract and play by the rules that the SEC, PAC 10, Big 10 etc. set out.

2. Try and save the conference.

3. Go independent.

#1 is a costly mess and a pride swallowing decision that would have other wise been easy without the $300 million ESPN deal.

#2 is hard to do because the teams that have any real power in the conference have already left, are about to leave or could leave at any moment without being chained to an independant TV network contract.

#3 the problem is they don't have any friends left and as Sooner _Tuf pointed out, no one outside of the Big XII needs them enough to kiss their arse. The only traditional rival they would have guaranteed to help fill out their schedule would be OU and I promise you, the LHN won't have anything to do with that broadcast.

Sooner_Tuf
9/5/2011, 02:51 AM
I think the whole deal where the NCAA had to rule that they couldn't show high school games peaked a lot of people's interests.

Texas says fine we'll just show the highlights of High School Games. You could almost hear the rest of college football groan coast to coast. Stoops even addressed it saying he didn't understand it. So you cut all the boring parts out and that makes it OK?

With the LHN they really painted themselves into a corner that they don't appear to have a graceful way out of. What are they going to say, Hey guys it was just a joke come on back.

The other three major conferences have either picked up Big XII members or are in the process of. How many stories about Texas do you think they have heard from their new members? Five years ago who would have thought someone could be so objectionable to drive Nebraska from a conference they helped build? Now people understand the how's and why's. Texas A&M removing themselves from the State of Texas and not playing any other Texas teams is also telling. Texans have more false pride than anyone. "Texas is like whole nother country", "Everything is bigger in Texas". It is unfathomable a Texan would bail on Texas. But A&M has, just to get away from the University of Texas.

If it makes me think you know it makes those that are responsible for their respective schools think. There sits Texas looking like a kid outside the principal's office looking like he just got caught trying to steal everyone's lunch money. They certainly don't need the money but like a bully they want you to know they can.

Mack Brown posing with that t-shirt with a **** eating grin epitomizes the situation.

General Applewhite
9/5/2011, 06:35 AM

You do know that OU voted for this unequal rev sharing model each and every time, right?
You do know OU was supposed to have its own network starting this fall, right?

I know we benefit (to a lesser extent than texas) from unequal revenue

?????

http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2010/6/16/1520676/big-12-revenue-distributions

These were the newest #s I could find:

Big 12 2008-09 Revenue Sharing
1. Oklahoma, $12.2 million
2. Texas, $11.8 million
3. Kansas, $11.5 million
4. Missouri, $10.4 million
5. Texas A&M, $10.2 million
6. Oklahoma State, $10.0 million
7. Colorado, $9.77 million
8. Nebraska, $9.73 million
9. Texas Tech, $9.2 million
10. Baylor, $9.1 million
11. Iowa State, $8.9 million
12. Kansas State, $8.4 million

There seems to be a very big gap between the facts and what you think the facts are..........as for conference realingment, you guys will do what we tell you to do. :smug:

soonerbub
9/5/2011, 06:39 AM
Worry about getting bowl eligible & then you can talk.

For now **** off dip**** whorns

fadada1
9/5/2011, 07:27 AM
how about we have 1 SUPER conference from coast to coast. random scheduling from year to year. everyone plays 12 games. if you win 8 games, you're in a bowl. top 8 in a playoff. the end.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2011, 08:21 AM
1. I don't think UT is pushing the legislature to do this. All politicians fear changing the status quo. I think UT wants to jump ship with us - what actual benefit is left in the Big XII that outweighs leaving? we will never attract any teams that will replace what we lose with A&M and Nebraska.

2. If UT doesn't want to move, **** 'em. Let's take Tulsa with us instead. They have to be at least as competitive as Stanford.

Soonermagik
9/5/2011, 08:46 AM
LOL!!! Have Texas tell OU to slow down... yeah right. This state was built on jumping the gun... not sitting around waiting. ;)

I promise you Texas has told OU to leave and then they will sell that to their politicians. That way, the Whorns look like innocent bystanders and get what they really want. OU and Texas are working hand and hand to make this deal happen.

the-rover
9/5/2011, 08:58 AM
It cracks me up when I hear that Beebe thinks that the PAC won't take OU without UT.....for crissakes, they took Colofreakinrado and Ufreakintah!

Beebe is an idiot

SoonerMarkVA
9/5/2011, 09:28 AM
Beebe has not only boarded the Crazy Train, but he threw the engineer off and floored it with classic maniacal laughter. The man reeks of someone desperate to alter reality around his job so he can keep it.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/5/2011, 09:33 AM
That rivals story has as much credibility as any one of a thousand posts on this forum. I can say "sources" told me all day long as long as I don't have to reveal my sources. This realignment situation has really brought the lack of media accountability to light. The same folks that wrote that article could simply write another one tomorrow and no one will remember what they wrote today.

written by Chip Brown. Granted he's a whorn homer...but he's been pretty close to dead center on the stuff he has written. He has the cred to say "my sources" and be believable.

Lott's Bandana
9/5/2011, 09:35 AM
LOL!!! Have Texas tell OU to slow down... yeah right. This state was built on jumping the gun... not sitting around waiting. ;)

That.
Brilliance.
That.

+ a big number with another little number just above the last number

budbarrybob
9/5/2011, 09:58 AM

I promise you Texas has told OU to leave and then they will sell that to their politicians. That way, the Whorns look like innocent bystanders and get what they really want. OU and Texas are working hand and hand to make this deal happen.

EGGSACTLY!

IndySooner
9/5/2011, 10:07 AM
written by Chip Brown. Granted he's a whorn homer...but he's been pretty close to dead center on the stuff he has written. He has the cred to say "my sources" and be believable.

Chip is on the mark when Texas is in control. He missed big time on the A&M story and he is wrong here too. He is a UT mouthpiece.

thecynic
9/5/2011, 10:31 AM
eff texas and their effing legislature

3rdgensooner
9/5/2011, 10:36 AM
It's all about the LHN:

Since last summer, Scott said he hasn't "felt one iota of need" to add more schools. But if Texas, a money-making giant, could figure out a way to be part of the Pac-12 and still keep its Longhorn Network, things could get interesting.

"I'm not going to comment on a specific situation or hypothetical," Scott said. "I just know that anyone that's a member of our conference is going to be part of our (regional) network model." (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2011/09/pac-12s_larry_scott_schools_ha.html)

GreenSooner
9/5/2011, 10:36 AM
It cracks me up when I hear that Beebe thinks that the PAC won't take OU without UT.....for crissakes, they took Colofreakinrado and Ufreakintah!

Beebe is an idiot

He's an idiot, but this really is his last remaining play. The Big XII-II-I is sinking fast. So what's Beebe gonna do? You dance with the dame that brung ya...and for Beebe that means using the Whorns to bully the Big Whatever to stay together. And since UT seems uninterested in listening to him anymore, appealing to the seven schools who might be left out in the cold to help get UT back into the fold is pretty much all he can do. Yup, it's a pathetic ploy. But when you're all in with a losing hand, what are you gonna do?

GreenSooner
9/5/2011, 10:40 AM
Also: I think Beebe's hope is not that the PAC won't take OU without UT, but that OU won't go to the PAC without UT. I don't think he's right about that. But I'm less sure that he's wrong about OU's desires than I am that the PAC will take OU + just about any three other Big XII teams (with the possible exception of Iowa State).

3rd Generation Longhorn
9/5/2011, 10:46 AM
Look, I believe someone must already have said this but it deserves to be said again:

We didn't want to be the one leading the move to the PAC12 so we are asking you to lead.
You are doing this with our blessing and we will follow you "because we have to". Don't you think that is a good excuse to give the legislature? Thanks for taking the heat for us. See you in Dallas for a long long time!

soonerboomer93
9/5/2011, 10:50 AM
If we're a verbal commit to the Pac-10, can we still take visits with the SEC and ACC?

We can make unofficial and official visits, but the Big East really needs to stop constantly texting us.

UTgolfer
9/5/2011, 10:53 AM

Its all about optics and UT not wanting to look like the guilty party blowing up the conference.

In order for a move to the Pac 12 to occcur, the LHN will likely have to be undergo some major changes possibly including content from other schools, revenue sharing, and limiting the geographic footprint. One wild card in the mix is Stanford. UT wanted to move to the Pac 10 in the early 90's and Stanford said thanks but no thanks. At the time, a move required the unanimous consent of all schools and not sure if that is still the case. Stanford potentially has the high ground in this battle and can dictate terms if UT wants to move west.

ouflak
9/5/2011, 11:14 AM
..........as for conference realingment, you guys will do what we tell you to do. :smug:

So if you UT decides it wants to maintain the Big XII, you think you can tell OU it has to stay in the Big XII? And we actually will?

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 11:36 AM
Its all about optics and UT not wanting to look like the guilty party blowing up the conference.

In order for a move to the Pac 12 to occcur, the LHN will likely have to be undergo some major changes possibly including content from other schools, revenue sharing, and limiting the geographic footprint. One wild card in the mix is Stanford. UT wanted to move to the Pac 10 in the early 90's and Stanford said thanks but no thanks. At the time, a move required the unanimous consent of all schools and not sure if that is still the case. Stanford potentially has the high ground in this battle and can dictate terms if UT wants to move west.What does eye wear and the properties of visible light have to do with social/emotional perception? Man...I thought UT taught kidz smart. :monkey:

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2011, 11:43 AM
You do know that OU voted for this unequal rev sharing model each and every time, right?
You do know OU was supposed to have its own network starting this fall, right?

?????

http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2010/6/16/1520676/big-12-revenue-distributions

These were the newest #s I could find:

There seems to be a very big gap between the facts and what you think the facts are..........as for conference realingment, you guys will do what we tell you to do. :smug:

Stupid horn. Even IF those are correct, we all know who the revenue leaders are. What I am saying is we are both wrong about the way unequal revenue affects the league. I'm saying that IF aTm is forced to stay, and the B12 does survive this, the revenue sharing should be changed. It will create stability.

You ****s are easy to read. You will do whatever makes ut the most money regardless of who it hurts. ut's first and most desirable option is to keep the B12 on life support AND keep your damned network. As long as OU will stay with you, you can pull this off. Hell, you might even be able to pull it off if OU and OSU leave. Minimium conference allowance is 6. I find it highly ironic that the tejas legislature stays quiet until Boren speaks and then they freak out. The fact is, ut power brokers were more than happy with this until Boren declares our intentions then they all freak out. This is more whorns trying to pull strings.

Face it, Boren called your bluff. Now you've got to find a way to put the cat back in the bag. This is UT trying to force aTm to stay and band-aid the league for one more year.

BTW, the same source that you pulled your numbers for shows the prior year which you specifically failed to mention.

Big 12 2007-08 Revenue Sharing
1. Texas: $10.2 million
2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million
3. Kansas: $9.24 million
4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million
5. Nebraska: $9.1 million
6. Missouri: $8.4 million
7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million
8. Kansas State: $8.21 million
9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million
10. Colorado: $8.0 million
11. Iowa State: $7.4 million
12. Baylor: $7.1 million

If we took the lead, it was the first time in a while. And while I am not denying we benefitted, if the league is to remain, it should be changed.

oh, and **** off, dip**** whorn.

PLaw
9/5/2011, 11:51 AM
ut didn't think OU would actually pull the trigger. WE WILL. Now they're crying to mommy to save the Big12. UT wants the AQ status of the B12 with the additional revenue of the whorn network above all. UT is pushing this legislative interference behind the scenes now that Boren is about to call their bluff. A&M wasn't willing to allow both and now it's becoming obvious that we aren't either.

If A&M is forced to stay, the remaining conf members need to:
a) move all B12 offices and activities out of the state of Texas immediately.
d) fire Beebe

Otherwise, we should leave anyway. I know we benefit (to a lesser extent than texas) from unequal revenue, but it (and UT's contstant attempts to teabag everyone) is killing this conference. The Big8 did not agree to allow the texas teams in just to be another SWC. The texas legislature can suck OU's taint.

Let those greedy bastards choke on their cake.

Any agreement of eATMe to stay in the B12 should come with the dissolution of the ESPN/TLN contract. ESPN should create a B12 network with revenue equally shared between all schools. Furthermore, all conference revenue should be shared equally. Anything less, we should see Scott and Boren arm in arm announcing the new PAC-PYN.

I'm loving that "*" greed is ultimately going to be an anchor that drowns their arrogant, egocentric, butts.

BOOMER

badger
9/5/2011, 11:55 AM
OK, so if they want us to be Boomers and not Sooners, we should have a demand list! Here goes:

1- More money. Money solves problems. Fact!

2- The Longhorn Network becomes the Sooner Network. It might include Texas programming, but it is clear that is not selling, so this might be win-win.

3- Public acknowledgment that OU is in control of the situation and that OU, not Texas, not Texas A&M or anyone else, will save the Big 12. All hail the state of Oklahoma, or we're heading west before that football drought hits us, too!

4- Did I mention money? Even more money. Now.

5- Vow to stay in the Big 12 for at least five years. If we aren't leaving, neither are you. But, we are not required to return such a vow. Make A&M sign that vow in blood. Reveille blood. Whoop!

6- Expand this conference again. If it doesn't, its doomed to fail. Get out your rolodex and make it happen UT... A&M... legislature... everyone except us.

7- OU is now the owner and operator of the Big 12. And we're firing Beebe. The commissioner is now OU.

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2011, 12:08 PM
1. I don't think UT is pushing the legislature to do this. All politicians fear changing the status quo. I think UT wants to jump ship with us - what actual benefit is left in the Big XII that outweighs leaving? we will never attract any teams that will replace what we lose with A&M and Nebraska.

That doesn't explain why they were deathly quiet until Boren opened his mouth. No, UT thought they had Boren/OU in the bag. When it became public that they didn't and their little empire was about to crumble, they pull out the legislature card. The timing of this directly after Boren speaks is telling. UT got played. They don't want to go anywhere if they can absolutely help it. And the strength of the B12 does not matter as long as it keeps AQ status.

Hell, interviews with texas legislators stated that they remained quiet about aTm's departure because they were reassured that the B12 would remain. (read: dodd's puppet beebe assured them that ut had OU in the bag)

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:08 PM
OK, so if they want us to be Boomers and not Sooners, we should have a demand list! Here goes:

2- The Longhorn Network becomes the Sooner Network. It might include Texas programming, but it is clear that is not selling, so this might be win-win.

3- Public acknowledgment that OU is in control of the situation and that OU, not Texas, not Texas A&M or anyone else, will save the Big 12. All hail the state of Oklahoma, or we're heading west before that football drought hits us, too!

5- Vow to stay in the Big 12 for at least five years. If we aren't leaving, neither are you. But, we are not required to return such a vow. Make A&M sign that vow in blood. Reveille blood. Whoop!

6- Expand this conference again. If it doesn't, its doomed to fail. Get out your rolodex and make it happen UT... A&M... legislature... everyone except us.

7- OU is now the owner and operator of the Big 12. And we're firing Beebe. The commissioner is now OU.You forgot:
8- Hot wimmins for everyonez.

But since it's you, I'm not surprised you forgot the hot wimmins. ;)

C&CDean
9/5/2011, 12:22 PM
NP forgot the hot wimmenz at home last Saturday. Hope you're feeling better A.

badger
9/5/2011, 12:24 PM
You forgot:
8- Hot wimmins for everyonez.

But since it's you, I'm not surprised you forgot the hot wimmins. ;)

First you gets the sugar, zen you gets ze wimmens. The strong must protect the swwweeeeeet.

NP forgot the hot wimmenz at home last Saturday. Hope you're feeling better A.

I'll survive. :)

How to make conference more filled with hot women:

1- Dump any teams that do not have female cheerleaders:
http://www.thebatt.com/polopoly_fs/1.1183476!/image/1138673486.gif_gen/derivatives/landscape_240/1138673486.gif

2- Add teams that do.

And you know what ladies?! Those A&M guys aren't really that hot, either! Did anyone just look at Ryan Tanny last night and say "Well, he's an aggie boy. Put him in a Corps uniform and watch him squeeze himself. Ewww." That was what I was thinking last night when they were showing his mug during the SMU game... possibly because it was so lopsided that the football aspect was no longer interesting.

:mad: That game sucked so badly I played NES Tetris during halftime.

the-rover
9/5/2011, 12:47 PM

In order for a move to the Pac 12 to occcur, the LHN will likely have to be undergo some major changes possibly including content from other schools, revenue sharing, and limiting the geographic footprint. One wild card in the mix is Stanford. UT wanted to move to the Pac 10 in the early 90's and Stanford said thanks but no thanks. At the time, a move required the unanimous consent of all schools and not sure if that is still the case. Stanford potentially has the high ground in this battle and can dictate terms if UT wants to move west.

No one ever said them Stanford folks were stupid.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2011, 12:51 PM
That doesn't explain why they were deathly quiet until Boren opened his mouth.

Sure it does. UT took all the flak last year for "running off" Nebbish and Colorado. They want their hands clean so they can go to their state legislature and say "see? It's not our fault, we didn't do anything. But here's the situation and we have to do what's best for us now."

I'm sure UT and OU have been in communication about this for a long time. You think this just came up 3 days ago? I'm betting Boren has been working on this deal since LAST YEAR. And even then, he's done exactly the same thing: "well, we tried to keep A&M here, but without them the Big XII just isn't viable anymore - we have to look out for our interests."

SoonerMom2
9/5/2011, 01:13 PM
The only way the Texas Legislature can have a say is if Gov Perry calls them back into session because they have adjourned. They only meet every other year so they don't go back into regular session until 2013 so they can yell all they want but nothing they can do. You can be sure that the A&M Grad Gov Perry is not going to call back a special session to deal with football alliances and that is where Beebe blew it. Last time when the SWC merged into the Big 8, they were in session and why we got Baylor as the Lt Governor Bullock pushed for Baylor on behalf of Governor Ma Richards who was a Baylor grad. Guess some members want Houston, SMU, and TCU or Rice added to the Big 12 from what I heard from someone in Austin.

No wonder Boren is headed West for OU which is in our best interest.

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2011, 01:42 PM
Sure it does. UT took all the flak last year for "running off" Nebbish and Colorado. They want their hands clean so they can go to their state legislature and say "see? It's not our fault, we didn't do anything. But here's the situation and we have to do what's best for us now."

I'm sure UT and OU have been in communication about this for a long time. You think this just came up 3 days ago? I'm betting Boren has been working on this deal since LAST YEAR. And even then, he's done exactly the same thing: "well, we tried to keep A&M here, but without them the Big XII just isn't viable anymore - we have to look out for our interests."

You have far too much trust in the lying dirt bags in asstin.

badger
9/5/2011, 01:55 PM
If the Texas legislature tries to get any ex-SEC member into the Big 12 besides Arkansas, the Big 12 as we know it is dead. Some old Big 8 schools might hang around rather that think about life in the Sun Belt/WAC, but OU will be gone and so will the Big 12.

I really think Texas leg needs to call a session. Football is far too important in that state to not do it. They should pass the following resolutions:

1- Texas no longer pursues any state of Oklahoma water in return for the survival of the real Big 12.

2- Texas A&M and Texas will be in the Big 12 and will not pursue any other conference, so long as OU stays, for at least five years.

3- Texas and other state schools in the Big 12 must pursue decent replacements for Nebraska and Colorado which do not share markets with current Big 12 members.

4- OU is now the owner and operator of the Big 12. UT has screwed up too much to continue its power abuse.

5- Rotate the Big 12 football championship game between Jerryworld and Arrowhead. It's really not that cold up there in December. Pansies.

6- Money to OU. Money, dammit. We want money, we need money, we get money, or we go where the money is... elsewhere!

Sooner Cal
9/5/2011, 02:17 PM
We should have made more money than UT last year. We went to. bCS bowl while UT didn't go bowling at all.

The fact that Beebe has a conference call without key members shows you how unstable the conference is.

The guy who broke the story on Miami was on Dan Patrick's show. He said no one has there hand out for extra benefits more than conference commissioners and athletic directors. Beebe is about to lose his job so he's out for himself.

The UT legislature has better things to do. Suing people doesn't make for a good relationship either.

The future can be bright in a PAC 16 super conference. It would be a lot better than a dysfunctional Big XII where institutions harbor mistrust and anger toward one another.

Texas as an independent? Well, how has that worked out for ND. Not so good. Conferences are important.

bluedogok
9/5/2011, 02:23 PM
Last time when the SWC merged into the Big 8, they were in session and why we got Baylor as the Lt Governor Bullock pushed for Baylor on behalf of Governor Ma Richards who was a Baylor grad. Guess some members want Houston, SMU, and TCU or Rice added to the Big 12 from what I heard from someone in Austin.

Bullock was also a Tech grad and Baylor Law School grad, so he had a double interest in his schools moving to the new league. In Texas the Lt. Gov. is the power broker position, much more so that the governor position. The current Lt. Gov. is David Dewhurst, he is an Arizona grad (where he played basketball) and is also running for the US Senate seat being vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

BudSooner
9/5/2011, 02:28 PM

7- OU is now the owner and operator of the Big 12. And we're firing Beebe. The commissioner is now TRRW, step out of line at a meeting of the AD's and Roy will go superman on your sorry ***!Fixed it for ya.

SoonerMom2
9/5/2011, 02:40 PM
Bullock was also a Tech grad and Baylor Law School grad, so he had a double interest in his schools moving to the new league. In Texas the Lt. Gov. is the power broker position, much more so that the governor position. The current Lt. Gov. is David Dewhurst, he is an Arizona grad (where he played basketball) and is also running for the US Senate seat being vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

No way is Dewhurst going to act on this one! Legislature can say all they want and they can do nothing but talk. Bullock ran the state and Dewhurst is not so out in front from what I can see. Lived in TX when Bullock was Lt Gov.

Flagstaffsooner
9/5/2011, 02:40 PM
The texass legislature is the biggest bunch of idiots on Earth. They make the US Congress look good.

trwxxa
9/5/2011, 02:56 PM
Plus Dewhurst is making a run at US Senate next year. Don't see that he will step in and potentially alienate a large voting block.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2011, 02:59 PM

But this doesn't make sense. There has to be some (perceived or real) value gained by leaving the conference. Texas & Oklahoma have OWNED the conference in football. Have owned the revenues. WHY would they change all this to go the Pac where nothing is a sure thing? OU might gain a reputation as a better academic institution, but this line of thinking is silly because we are not even CLOSE to be ranked anywhere close to Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC academically. Joining their conference has as much of a chance to make us look WORSE academically. What does Texas gain by leaving the Big 12? Especially with their new ESPN sweetheart deal. There has to be some motivation to leave.

Nebraska and A&M left because a)they weren't getting their cheese and b)they couldn't win the championships.

With A&M leaving, the motivation for Oklahoma to leave has greatly increased based on speculation of future stability of the conference.

Sabanball
9/5/2011, 03:17 PM
The only way the Texas Legislature can have a say is if Gov Perry calls them back into session because they have adjourned. They only meet every other year so they don't go back into regular session until 2013 so they can yell all they want but nothing they can do. You can be sure that the A&M Grad Gov Perry is not going to call back a special session to deal with football alliances and that is where Beebe blew it. Last time when the SWC merged into the Big 8, they were in session and why we got Baylor as the Lt Governor Bullock pushed for Baylor on behalf of Governor Ma Richards who was a Baylor grad. Guess some members want Houston, SMU, and TCU or Rice added to the Big 12 from what I heard from someone in Austin.

Correct. The TX legislature doesn't meet again this year and budgets are already set. Perry would have to call a special session, which as you said he's an aTm man so that is highly unlikely. I'm sure that the PTB checked with him before making their move. The lawmakers can make all the threats that they want, but they are not going anywhere....

Texas_Longhorn
9/5/2011, 03:17 PM
I hope OU announces for the Pac12 soon. Let's blow this conference up. We aren't getting ND, Arkansas or BYU and no one wants UH or SMU. Let's stick together, take our little brothers, tech and osu and start kicking west coast butt. If the LHN has to be reworked so be it. No one gets it now anyway.

badger
9/5/2011, 03:32 PM
Perry would have to call a special session, which as you said he's an aTm man so that is highly unlikely.

Things an "aTm man" would never do are things a Barner fan would never do as concerned with Bama (because Barner is like Alabama's aggie school, right?):

1- Wear Alabama colors
2- Flash an Alabama hand sign (or scream "Roll Tide" if you guys don't have one)

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the "aTm man:"

http://nwodb.com/nwodb/image_lookup/01103.jpg

Perhaps you meant that he was an ATM man, not an aTm man, in which case I agree, he would probably do anything for money. :rolleyes:

bluedogok
9/5/2011, 03:42 PM
No way is Dewhurst going to act on this one! Legislature can say all they want and they can do nothing but talk. Bullock ran the state and Dewhurst is not so out in front from what I can see. Lived in TX when Bullock was Lt Gov.
That's for sure, Dewhurst doesn't have an interest in that fight. I do think that is one factor why the conference split didn't happen last year while the legislature was in session. This year they are freer to pursue such things.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 03:43 PM
Things an "aTm man" would never do are things a Barner fan would never do as concerned with Bama (because Barner is like Alabama's aggie school, right?):

1- Wear Alabama colors
2- Flash an Alabama hand sign (or scream "Roll Tide" if you guys don't have one)

Perhaps you meant that he was an ATM man, not an aTm man, in which case I agree, he would probably do anything for money. :rolleyes:That joker would rape his own grandma to win an election. I love how he's now officially "rethought his positions" on the issues he stated in his book. You know...the book that was published and put on sale...LAST YEAR. :stupid:

bluedogok
9/5/2011, 03:44 PM

1- Wear Alabama colors

Perhaps you meant that he was an ATM man, not an aTm man, in which case I agree, he would probably do anything for money. :rolleyes:
He was an Aggie Yell Leader, I believe he would always put A&M first but considering he has been a politician pretty much his entire adult life (and a Democrat at one time), that means he will do anything for votes (including changing parties or pandering to Whorn fans) or money as you stated.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 03:59 PM
He was an Aggie Yell Leader, I believe he would always put A&M first but considering he has been a politician pretty much his entire adult life (and a Democrat at one time), that means he will do anything for votes (including changing parties or pandering to Whorn fans) or money as you stated.^^^THIS^^^

SoonerMom2
9/5/2011, 04:28 PM
That's for sure, Dewhurst doesn't have an interest in that fight. I do think that is one factor why the conference split didn't happen last year while the legislature was in session. This year they are freer to pursue such things.

I bet you are right on why A&M waited until this year and the PAC soon to be 16 was put on hold. There are some arrogant members of the legislature that would love nothing better than to see Houston, SMU, Rice or TCU be part of the Big 12 and have been pushing them for them to become part of the Big 12 to fill the two slots we had open since SMU said they had been talking to the Big 12 -- Beebe perhaps? Let UT stay and control the whole Big 12 with bringing in more Texas schools and see how long that lasts before the rest of the Big 12 jumps.

Texas_Longhorn
9/5/2011, 04:41 PM
That joker would rape his own grandma to win an election. I love how he's now officially "rethought his positions" on the issues he stated in his book. You know...the book that was published and put on sale...LAST YEAR. :stupid:Couldn't agree more. He was the head of the Al Gore for president campaign before he decided Democrats could not win in Texas.
Like the Rice MOB said: Is your presidential candidate smarter than an aggy?

Landthief 1972
9/5/2011, 04:42 PM
And just what does the Texas legislature really think they are going to be able to do?

Pass a bill requiring Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, OU, OSU, and Missouri to remain in the Big 12? Umm... sorry guys, WRONG STATE.

Close down their flagship university by cutting off funding to it? That would only mean that they and their families would have to permanently leave the state of Texas, never to return.

They have no 'power'. They need to to stick to representing their constituencies, securing their own re-election campaigns, and kissing babies. A&M, UT, Baylor and Tech may flub a few things here and there in all of this, but their professionals still know a hell of a lot more about what's going on and what to do about it than any of these politicians.

Which is great except for this: "With reports surfacing that Oklahoma is all but ready to commit to the Pac-12, Texas lawmakers are so concerned about the Longhorns possibly following suit that a full-court press is being made to slow things down by elected officials and corporate CEOs with influence, sources said."

Follow the money. I simply don't understand why so many fans poo-poo the influence that the politicians and the corporations have over any type of conference alignment, considering the millions of dollars at stake.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/5/2011, 07:24 PM
Which is great except for this: "With reports surfacing that Oklahoma is all but ready to commit to the Pac-12, Texas lawmakers are so concerned about the Longhorns possibly following suit that a full-court press is being made to slow things down by elected officials and corporate CEOs with influence, sources said."

Follow the money. I simply don't understand why so many fans poo-poo the influence that the politicians and the corporations have over any type of conference alignment, considering the millions of dollars at stake.

THIS^^^^

take it down to a very personal level.

Your boss (or your customers, patients, the people who pay for your services) cant make you do anything...its a free country. If you are really good at what you do, you certainly have leverage in the decisions you make.

BUT when any of the aforementioned money groups strongly suggest you do something....you have a decision to make.

Texas has leverage and can ultimately do what they want....but there are people throwing money at them that naturally get to give their two cents....Whorn has to make a decision whether or not they care.

OH Yeah...also those CEO's and politicians sit on boards...and boards decide whether or not they want Bill Powers and Deloss Dodds to continue their jobs.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2011, 10:04 PM
But this doesn't make sense. There has to be some (perceived or real) value gained by leaving the conference. Texas & Oklahoma have OWNED the conference in football. Have owned the revenues. WHY would they change all this to go the Pac where nothing is a sure thing? OU might gain a reputation as a better academic institution, but this line of thinking is silly because we are not even CLOSE to be ranked anywhere close to Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC academically. Joining their conference has as much of a chance to make us look WORSE academically. What does Texas gain by leaving the Big 12? Especially with their new ESPN sweetheart deal. There has to be some motivation to leave.

Nebraska and A&M left because a)they weren't getting their cheese and b)they couldn't win the championships.

With A&M leaving, the motivation for Oklahoma to leave has greatly increased based on speculation of future stability of the conference.

In academic circles, your reputation is enhanced by working with more highly-respected colleagues. You don't "look dumber for hanging out with the smart kids". Being in-conference, we would be getting grant money for collaborative research projects with other conference partners. In that respect it's a win-win move for us.

For football, you think we don't want a piece of the most lucrative tv contract in college sports? How is this a bad thing?

silverwheels
9/5/2011, 10:20 PM
In academic circles, your reputation is enhanced by working with more highly-respected colleagues. You don't "look dumber for hanging out with the smart kids". Being in-conference, we would be getting grant money for collaborative research projects with other conference partners. In that respect it's a win-win move for us.

For football, you think we don't want a piece of the most lucrative tv contract in college sports? How is this a bad thing?

Only bad thing about it is the travel, but with as much money as OU would be making, it wouldn't be a problem for the University. Fans, on the other hand...I guess it's a good thing there are a lot of OU fans on the west coast.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2011, 10:38 PM
Only bad thing about it is the travel, but with as much money as OU would be making, it wouldn't be a problem for the University. Fans, on the other hand...I guess it's a good thing there are a lot of OU fans on the west coast.

Again, the team flies everywhere anyway, so distance is a really small consideration there. (It's more of an impact on other sports, but if our main divisional opponents will still be UT, Tech, (KU, Mizzou), OSU, Colorado, AZ, and ASU, then it's not any worse than the Big XII.

And for the fans, once more I say: the "average fan" in the current economy can't afford to travel to away games anyway. The ones that can have enough money that a slightly longer flight won't affect their travel decisions either.

silverwheels
9/5/2011, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I rarely go to away games anyway. Hell, I don't even get to go to very many home games, for that matter, which has its pluses and minuses. TV and replays, channel-surfing during commercials, not being stuck in traffic, and drinking without fear of being caught during the game are great, but then again there's nothing being in the stadium or hanging out with tailgaters.

The real thing will be travel for the non-football sports like you said, but that TV contract would be so massive, it would surely cover travel costs for basketball and such.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2011, 10:52 PM

I can see it helping our image, but as far as actually making our university ranked much higher? Not much...

OU is great at educating for the Oklahoma- Texas area job market. College of Earth & Energy, Engineering (to some degree), and the Energy Management programs are excellent. I see Pac affiliation helping our law school by having a network with the Pac 10 law schools (as someone mentioned) and possibly the journalism school, but beyond that, any increase in education rankings would mostly be based purely on perception.. but maybe that's the way it is now.

As far as the $$/TV being a bad thing, of course not. I was saying that last year there was not much incentive. Last year the Pac 10 had a very lackluster television deal. Last year, the Big 12-2-LHN was still a strong football conference with bad leadership but with committed universities, presidents, and athletic directors. Best thing that could come from the Pac deal is the increase in expenditures for the non-revenue sports. I don't even think OU Wrestling hands out A SINGLE full-ride scholarship. Amazing.

Captain Cob Mob
9/5/2011, 11:28 PM
I think the whole deal where the NCAA had to rule that they couldn't show high school games peaked a lot of people's interests.

Texas says fine we'll just show the highlights of High School Games. You could almost hear the rest of college football groan coast to coast. Stoops even addressed it saying he didn't understand it. So you cut all the boring parts out and that makes it OK?

With the LHN they really painted themselves into a corner that they don't appear to have a graceful way out of. What are they going to say, Hey guys it was just a joke come on back.

The other three major conferences have either picked up Big XII members or are in the process of. How many stories about Texas do you think they have heard from their new members? Five years ago who would have thought someone could be so objectionable to drive Nebraska from a conference they helped build? Now people understand the how's and why's. Texas A&M removing themselves from the State of Texas and not playing any other Texas teams is also telling. Texans have more false pride than anyone. "Texas is like whole nother country", "Everything is bigger in Texas". It is unfathomable a Texan would bail on Texas. But A&M has, just to get away from the University of Texas.

If it makes me think you know it makes those that are responsible for their respective schools think. There sits Texas looking like a kid outside the principal's office looking like he just got caught trying to steal everyone's lunch money. They certainly don't need the money but like a bully they want you to know they can.

Mack Brown posing with that t-shirt with a **** eating grin epitomizes the situation.

This was a very good post, on a lot of different levels. One thing is for certain, UT isn't going to surprise any conferences this time around. A lot of people would like to have them in the fold, but a lot of people know they've destroyed two conferences with their desire to run and control everything, and they'll take precautions to protect themselves and the Universities in their conference.

MamaMia
9/6/2011, 02:05 AM
Texass sucks.

SoonerNutt
9/6/2011, 09:40 AM
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1260448

Legislative sources say Texas is telling them if Oklahoma leaves for the Pac-12, the Big 12 is dead and the Longhorns' best option would be to go with OU and join the Pac-12. Those legislative forces, however, are telling Texas to tell Oklahoma to slow down.Stay tuned.

Texas arrogance has no limits. Hey Texas Legislators. You don't own us.