PDA

View Full Version : Other than the Sooners, best team of week 1?

8timechamps
9/4/2011, 08:00 PM
If you were ranking the #2 team in the country based on what you saw over the weekend, who would it be?

For me, I'd have to say Alabama. I know LSU beat a top 5 team, but I wasn't overly impressed with either team. As for Boise State, I'm not sure Georgia was a good barometer for the Broncos. The only other team I saw that looked pretty solid was Stanford, but I wouldn't put them ahead of Bama.

EatLeadCommie
9/4/2011, 08:29 PM
Bama. Hard to tell anything about LSU really until conference play.

King Crimson
9/4/2011, 08:31 PM
not sure we looked like the best team in the nation...but, typically, Boise had all summer to prepare for their national stage this year. i don't like those guys i admit....but they come to play and Peterson is good.

Sacramento State? had a lot of fun with that here in Colorado since all i've heard for the last year is how tough the Pac is.

arcman46
9/4/2011, 08:35 PM
AUBURN. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SicEmBaylor
9/4/2011, 08:35 PM
Baylor
/thread

JiminyChristmas
9/4/2011, 08:47 PM
1) OU
2) Wisconsin
3) Alabama
4) Boise St
5) LSU

Rogue
9/4/2011, 08:53 PM
Boise St.
I didn't see 'Bama play.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/4/2011, 08:56 PM
My vote is for South Florida, or whoever it was that humiliated the domer...yet again! to deflate the national media, and all the domer fans everywhere, including NBC tv, THEIR OWN network. haha

salth2o
9/4/2011, 08:58 PM

:D

boomersooner28
9/4/2011, 09:01 PM
Sconsin. They good. :tongue:

8timechamps
9/4/2011, 09:09 PM
not sure we looked like the best team in the nation...but, typically, Boise had all summer to prepare for their national stage this year. i don't like those guys i admit....but they come to play and Peterson is good.

Sacramento State? had a lot of fun with that here in Colorado since all i've heard for the last year is how tough the Pac is.

I'm with you KC! I had a guy at 7-11 tell me last week that the PAC was the toughest conference in the country (including the SEC). Can't wait to see that guy tomorrow when I get coffee. Plus, he's a CU fan, doh!

CBUS_SOONER
9/4/2011, 09:14 PM
1.LSU
2. BAMA
3. Boise

ouwasp
9/4/2011, 09:21 PM
From what I saw, I thought Wisconsin looked formidable. But it will be interesting to see how they do on the road against a team with decent talent.

CBUS_SOONER
9/4/2011, 09:24 PM
WISKY over hyped ever yr imo. hell they lost to the little sister of the poor last yr

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2011, 09:28 PM
If you were ranking the #2 team in the country based on what you saw over the weekend, who would it be?

For me, I'd have to say Alabama. I know LSU beat a top 5 team, but I wasn't overly impressed with either team. As for Boise State, I'm not sure Georgia was a good barometer for the Broncos. The only other team I saw that looked pretty solid was Stanford, but I wouldn't put them ahead of Bama.

Bama. Hard to tell anything about LSU really until conference play.

I was at the 'Bama game, and I have no idea what you guys saw to make you think they were the best non-OU team this weekend. The offensive line looked pathetic. Trent Richardson with 37 yards rushing?

LSU was the most impressive team this weekend. Playing without their starting QB, they beat a good Oregon team by double digits.

badger
9/4/2011, 09:56 PM
Baylor
/thread

Baylor had the best win. I hope it gets them ranked.

The win brings insta-credibility to da bears. Hope this isn't the year we finally lose to 'em

panhandlesooner
9/4/2011, 09:59 PM
Wisconsin....

Mazeppa
9/4/2011, 10:01 PM
According to Pat Jones, LSU should be #1. But again that is "THE Pat Jones" of osu fame.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2011, 10:15 PM
If the BCS ranking was out, LSU probably would be #1. They were tough against a good UO team, but so much of the game was decided by UO giveaways on special teams, I'm not convinced they would deserve it. The turnovers were from bad UO play, not from great LSU play and not something that could be repeated. But giving the Hat some good fortune is a dangerous thing and we all know where the title game will be played...

OU, 'Bama, Boise, Stanford, Wisky, VaTech all held serve and I could assign them any order.

Mazeppa
9/4/2011, 10:24 PM
That was not a good UO team. They lost a lot of players from last years team.

soonerboomer93
9/4/2011, 10:28 PM
I was at the 'Bama game, and I have no idea what you guys saw to make you think they were the best non-OU team this weekend. The offensive line looked pathetic. Trent Richardson with 37 yards rushing?

LSU was the most impressive team this weekend. Playing without their starting QB, they beat a good Oregon team by double digits.

It's the D, not the offense. That's a big key for Bama. I'd say LSU is most impressive, it's not like Oregon lost a bunch on offense. Boise win I honestly meh, as I recall Georgia had a losing record last year.

agoo758
9/4/2011, 10:41 PM

I saw overtime of that game on the internet on some Diet Oregon local network, when Sac. State caught that fade pass to win in overtime the announcers merely said: "and they get the two, the game is over." It then went immediately off air. :D

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2011, 10:45 PM

True, they are unproven. But I think it will turn out that they are good, but not like last season.

Mazeppa
9/4/2011, 11:04 PM
True, they are unproven. But I think it will turn out that they are good, but not like last season.

Agreed!

LRoss
9/4/2011, 11:12 PM
If the BCS ranking was out, LSU probably would be #1.

Actually (although I'm not 100% how this all works. . .) I think if the BCS came out, OU would be #1. Every team that won has the exact same strength of schedule right now (beating win-less teams) and with margin of victory not included every 1-0 team should have the exact same computer ranking, leaving only the human polls to sort out the mess from there. So whoever has the most votes in the polls, I believe, would be #1.

Of course, this is all completely meaningless right now. Which is why I get so annoyed at the tv talking heads who act all incredulous when the first or second week of BCS standings come out and the computers rank undefeated non-BCS schools who played some good teams in OOC ahead of big-time powerhouse schools who played a collection of pushovers. When everybody's undefeated, all they have to go by to differentiate is strength of schedule.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2011, 11:30 PM
Actually (although I'm not 100% how this all works. . .) I think if the BCS came out, OU would be #1. Every team that won has the exact same strength of schedule right now (beating win-less teams) and with margin of victory not included every 1-0 team should have the exact same computer ranking, leaving only the human polls to sort out the mess from there. So whoever has the most votes in the polls, I believe, would be #1.

Of course, this is all completely meaningless right now. Which is why I get so annoyed at the tv talking heads who act all incredulous when the first or second week of BCS standings come out and the computers rank undefeated non-BCS schools who played some good teams in OOC ahead of big-time powerhouse schools who played a collection of pushovers. When everybody's undefeated, all they have to go by to differentiate is strength of schedule.

right, I wasn't trying to be that technical. I meant if the BCS rankings were valid right now and UO had something to back up their #3 ranking, then LSU would jump ahead of teams that had not played anyone yet. I do thing UO will win and stay ranked, so it will help LSU as the season goes on. Even though the Boise game was hyped, I sort of doubt UGA will prove to be much help for them. Tulsa was a scappy team with a 1st class QB which was an excellent test for us, but will not provide any SOS down the road.

OUInformant
9/5/2011, 02:25 AM
Based on week 1 games, and not on hype, reputation, etc. (though obviously the rankings are still based on the preseason polls):

1. OU
2. LSU
3. Boise St.
4. Texas A&M
5. Stanford
6. Wisconsin
7. Alabama
8. Oklahoma St.
9. Nebraska
10. South Carolina
11. Oregon
12. Arkansas
13. FSU
14. Virginia Tech
15. Ohio St.
16. Miss St.
17. Florida
18. BYU
19. Michigan St.
20. West Virginia
21. Houston
22. Baylor
23. Penn St.
24. TCU
25. Texas

Top 25 cusp: USF, Iowa, UCF

SCSooner71
9/5/2011, 03:51 AM
LSU

GottaHavePride
9/5/2011, 08:08 AM
Tulsa was a scappy team with a 1st class QB which was an excellent test for us, but will not provide any SOS down the road.

If Tulsa pulls off another 10-win season, they'll look great on our SOS.

IronHorseSooner
9/5/2011, 09:35 AM
Based on week 1 games, and not on hype, reputation, etc.:

1. OU
2. LSU
3. Boise St.
4. Texas A&M
5. Stanford
6. Wisconsin
7. Alabama
8. Oklahoma St.
9. Nebraska
10. South Carolina
11. Oregon
12. Arkansas
13. FSU
14. Virginia Tech
15. Ohio St.
16. Miss St.
17. Florida
18. BYU
19. Michigan St.
20. West Virginia
21. Houston
22. Baylor
23. Penn St.
24. TCU
25. Texas

Top 25 cusp: Iowa, UCF

Take out * and replace them with USF, and I would agree.

IronHorseSooner
9/5/2011, 09:45 AM
Actually, we may be the only team in America who all of their future opponents won. If not, the list isn't very long:

FSU beat ULM
Mizzou beat Miami, OH
Ball State beat IU
* beat Rice
KU beat McNeese State
Tech beat Texas State
KSU beat Eastern KY
A&M beat SMU
Iowa State beat N. Iowa
Baylor beat TCU
OSU beat ULL

I would argue that even of strength of schedule mattered right now, we would still be up there.

1890MilesToNorman
9/5/2011, 09:54 AM
of the games I watched I would go with Baylor, I didn't watch any SEC crap this weekend.

Correction: I did watch Auburn fail miserably only to pull it out in the end.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2011, 10:06 AM
Unconventional, but here ya go:
I was impressed by Boise the most week 1.
Big 10: Ohio State.
Big 12: Baylor and Oklahoma State.
SEC: Florida, I know, shocking. and LSU.
ACC: Miami and Maryland play tonight but I'll go ahead and say FSU.
Pac 12: Stanford by far.
Big East: Cinci, USF.

Jacie
9/5/2011, 10:14 AM
Baylor had the best win. I hope it gets them ranked.

The win brings insta-credibility to da bears. Hope this isn't the year we finally lose to 'em

I guess Baylor giving up 25 points in a 10-minute stretch takes nothing away from their credibility, and naming this game as the best win of the week and since it is the first week then of the year? It was a fun game to watch but I bet Big XII coaches of teams that have an adequate secondary saw nothing to be concerned about.

Biggest win was LSU over Oregon. There is a reason Oregon was considered a Top 5 team going into that game, they had the skill players on offense returning and are the favorite to win the Pac 10. Credit LSU coaches for copying the formula to beat the ducks, control the LOS to take away the running game and force them to pass (ducks had <100 yards rushing, were you watching this, Stanford?). It also slowed down their fast pace offense giving the defense time to sub and adjust. After playing relatively even the first half, LSU dominated the 3rd quarter and didn't relax too much in the 4th to preserve a double digit margin of victory.

Boise State's win comes in a close second. They did it the way they have won their other openers, going on the road to play a formidable Division 1 team. This was a true roadie for the Broncos and it didn't seem to bother them at all. Maybe Georgia isn't very good but they had plenty of time to prepare for this one.

E-Town
9/5/2011, 10:22 AM
LSU, Bama, Boise

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2011, 11:02 AM
Biggest win was LSU over Oregon. There is a reason Oregon was considered a Top 5 team going into that game, they had the skill players on offense returning and are the favorite to win the Pac 10. Credit LSU coaches for copying the formula to beat the ducks, control the LOS to take away the running game and force them to pass (ducks had <100 yards rushing, were you watching this, Stanford?). It also slowed down their fast pace offense giving the defense time to sub and adjust. After playing relatively even the first half, LSU dominated the 3rd quarter and didn't relax too much in the 4th to preserve a double digit margin of victory.

The caveat on the LSU win is that UO handed them the game on turnovers deep in their own end. LSU did slow down the ducks in a similar fashion as Auburn did in the title game, but LSU generated only ~270 yards of offense themselves. And UO doesn't have a great defense. LSU does have the defense to hang in and win low scoring games (this one *should* have been low scoring), but if most their games end up tight, they are going to lose a couple of them. (I hope).

Frozen Sooner
9/5/2011, 11:14 AM

Bets on them finishing with more wins than Kent State?

Frozen Sooner
9/5/2011, 11:15 AM
It's the D, not the offense. That's a big key for Bama. I'd say LSU is most impressive, it's not like Oregon lost a bunch on offense. Boise win I honestly meh, as I recall Georgia had a losing record last year.

I didn't think 'Bama's D was that stellar either. Kent State's QB consistently threw behind his receivers on crossing routes. Right now, I think 'Bama loses two games this year, unless the secondary starts playing a LOT better.

8timechamps
9/5/2011, 12:35 PM
I was at the 'Bama game, and I have no idea what you guys saw to make you think they were the best non-OU team this weekend.

Only saw highlights. So, it appeared that they played very well...I'll take your firsthand opinion over what I saw.

I honestly wasn't that impressed with LSU. They played stiff defense at times, but there was also many times that Oregon beat themselves. The final score reflects Oregon's turnovers far more than LSU's prowess.

However, I do have to give LSU credit, they beat a (supposed) top 5 team without their starting QB. So, I'd give them a top 3 spot.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2011, 12:44 PM
Our secondary wasn't lock-tight either. It's the first game of the season. We had some downright bad tackling in the secondary not to mention blown coverage. But what do you expect? Mid season form?

But I agree, Bama will lose 2 games this season :smug:

ashley
9/5/2011, 12:58 PM
A&M looks about as good as anyone on offense.

VA Sooner
9/5/2011, 01:07 PM
OU
Wisconsin
Boise St
Bama
LSU

Have to remember... Bama's QBs both threw picks and there's still a bit of a controversy although McCarron gets the nod... at least for now. Just the first game of the season... some corrections to make and some gametime experience and we'll see which coaches can keep their team focused and on the narrow track to the bowls.

Sabanball
9/5/2011, 03:08 PM
Given their opponent, LSU and it's not even close.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2011, 03:12 PM
I would have to agree. Good win against a decent opponent.

OUInformant
9/5/2011, 03:46 PM
Ranking 25 teams was difficult. I didn't put USF on the cusp, but they should be up there, or maybe in 20-25 range. I think Notre Dame out-gained them significantly, yardage wise, but ND turned in over 5 times. But yeah, it was a good win for USF on the road.

Frozen Sooner
9/5/2011, 04:30 PM
Only saw highlights. So, it appeared that they played very well...I'll take your firsthand opinion over what I saw.

I honestly wasn't that impressed with LSU. They played stiff defense at times, but there was also many times that Oregon beat themselves. The final score reflects Oregon's turnovers far more than LSU's prowess.

However, I do have to give LSU credit, they beat a (supposed) top 5 team without their starting QB. So, I'd give them a top 3 spot.

To be completely fair, I had been drinking for three hours already for the 11am kickoff and was trying to hook up with the 1L next to me pretty hard, so my view may have been obscured.

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2011, 04:36 PM
Given their opponent, LSU and it's not even close.

Given their *predicted* opponent, but even then, it would be close. Unclear how good UO will turn out to be - probably pretty good but not #3ish. Had LSU forced those turnovers, I would give them more credit, but the replays I saw were dumb special teams play combined with a true freshman replacing injured veterans. LSU certainly didn't look that good on offense and UO is not a great defensive team. Boise looked very good, but I doubt UGA deserves to be ranked. Many of top teams from OU down to VaTech all held serve and met expectations and didn't hurt themselves. Let the cajuns crow a week or 2.

BrockLanders
9/5/2011, 05:27 PM
LSU

En_Fuego
9/5/2011, 05:46 PM
Alabama .....The Mad Hatter can suck it.

oudavid1
9/5/2011, 06:44 PM
1) OU
2) Wisconsin
3) Alabama
4) Boise St
5) LSU

This. I think Wisky dominated and Alabama struggled throwing ze football. Kellen in Moore could start at any school right now not named Oklahoma or Standford. LSU is good, not great.