PDA

View Full Version : Dump the Ugly Girlfriends

Serge Ibaka
9/4/2011, 06:12 PM
If OU and Texas move westward, I hope that it's Kansas and Mizzou that goes with them.

Is it really so imperative that OSU and Tech go as well? The schools are a joke. I'm tired of pretending that they aren't. Kansas and Mizzou fit much better into the Pac-10 mold, and along with Texas and Oklahoma, the new conference would gain two heated rivalries.

Furthermore, can you imagine U-Dub or Stanford fans traveling into Lubbock? Culture clash! People might die.

Let Okie State and Tech sink into obscurity--it's where they belong anyway.

silverwheels
9/4/2011, 06:15 PM
I'm sure the Pac-12 would rather have Kansas and Mizzou, but I'm also pretty sure that the state legislatures of Oklahoma and Texas would not allow OSU and Tech to be left behind.

Serge Ibaka
9/4/2011, 06:16 PM
I'm also pretty sure that the state legislatures of Oklahoma and Texas would not allow OSU and Tech to be left behind.

I keep hearing this, but I don't actually understand how legislative power works in this regard. Is it true or is it being overstated?

badger
9/4/2011, 06:23 PM
How much money has Boone donated to OU?

None? OK, then we owe him and his recent media mouthiness nothing, also.

silverwheels
9/4/2011, 06:24 PM
I keep hearing this, but I don't actually understand how legislative power works in this regard. Is it true or is it being overstated?

Well, is it better for the state of Oklahoma to have one school in a rich, powerful conference (athletically and academically) and one in a poorer conference with worse athletics and academics? OU fans are looking at this with crimson shades. Boren wants what's best for OU, but also for the state.

bluedogok
9/4/2011, 07:35 PM
If OU and Texas move westward, I hope that it's Kansas and Mizzou that goes with them.

Is it really so imperative that OSU and Tech go as well? The schools are a joke. I'm tired of pretending that they aren't. Kansas and Mizzou fit much better into the Pac-10 mold, and along with Texas and Oklahoma, the new conference would gain two heated rivalries.

Furthermore, can you imagine U-Dub or Stanford fans traveling into Lubbock? Culture clash! People might die.

Let Okie State and Tech sink into obscurity--it's where they belong anyway.
Corvallis, Oregon (pop. 54,462) and Pullman, Washington (pop. 29,799) are basically much smaller versions of Lubbock (pop. 229,573) or Stillwater (pop. 45,688) with better natural scenery, not exactly a significant upgrade to either.

I don't think the Texas legislature gets involved this time, it would require a special session called by Governor Rick Perry, who is busy running for president and wouldn't want his Aggies plans to the SEC to get derailed. Down here 2013 is when everything would hit the fan, that is the next time the legislature is in session but it would be too late for them to do anything about the changes that already happened, all they could do is withhold funding from the schools but the likelihood of that happening two years after the fact is not that high.

Okla-homey
9/4/2011, 07:46 PM
I know this. The two bitter in-state rivals in South Carolina are the University of South Carolina and Clemson. Carolina is in the SEC, and Clemson is in the ACC. Been that way for a very long time. They play each other every year too - last game of the regular season. Think about it. Same dealio in Florida and Georgia. FU is SEC, FSU is ACC. Gawja is SEC, GT is ACC.

So, there is no impediment of which I'm aware precluding OU being in one BCS conference and Okie Lite being in another. If I were Pokey, I'd be begging the Big Ten to let me in. They could be a very dominant force in that BCS conference.

That said, the Okie legislature has a lot of Pokeys in it, and they might not cotton to little brother being left without a date on Saturdays.

Soonermagik
9/4/2011, 07:50 PM
Say what you want about OSU, but they do bring nice facilities. I do feel bad for Kansas, but they just aren't a football school and this is all about football.

Joe Kidd
9/4/2011, 07:51 PM
I know this. The two bitter in-state rivals in South Carolina are the University of South Carolina and Clemson. Carolina is in the SEC, and Clemson is in the ACC. Been that way for a very long time. They play each other every year too - last game of the regular season. Think about it. Same dealio in Florida and Georgia. FU is SEC, FSU is ACC. Gawja is SEC, GT is ACC.

So, there is no impediment of which I'm aware precluding OU being in one BCS conference and Okie Lite being in another. If I were Pokey, I'd be begging the Big Ten to let me in. They could be a very dominant force in that BCS conference.

That said, the Okie legislature has a lot of Pokeys in it, and they might not cotton to little brother being left without a date on Saturdays.

Those are all schools in BCS conferences although different from their main rivals. The fear is that OSU will not end up in one. That would be bad for the profile of the university and so bad for academic fundraising which turns into a negative for the state.

8timechamps
9/4/2011, 07:52 PM
I seriously doubt Okie State gets an invite to any power conference without riding on our backs. So, this is more about Okie State selling the "it's better for the state" argument. Okla-homey hit the nail on the head, other in-state rivalries have thrived without both teams being in the same conference, this one could too.

8timechamps
9/4/2011, 07:54 PM
Those are all schools in BCS conferences although different from their main rivals. The fear is that OSU will not end up in one. That would be bad for the profile of the university and so bad for academic fundraising which turns into a negative for the state.

I really don't think it's going to matter much in the end...IF we move to the PAC, then the era of the super conferences will be upon us, and OSU will find a place in that kind of environment...it might as well be with OU.

oudivesherpa
9/4/2011, 08:02 PM
OSU and Tech would be where they belong in Conference USA. OU should do what's best for OU and if that includes OSU fine, if not, that's fine also.

silverwheels
9/4/2011, 08:09 PM
LMAO at the Big Ten even looking in Oklahoma State's direction. If they're not coming with us to the Pac-12, they're going to Conference-USA, and I'm sure the state legislature would rather have both OU and OSU in one of the power conferences.

ouwasp
9/4/2011, 08:09 PM
The Sooners should play hardball with osu. Like I said in another thread, if they wind up in different conferences, OU should agree to continue playing osu only if the pokes agree to provide the OU ticket office w/ 15k tix for the games in Stillwater.

BudSooner
9/4/2011, 08:11 PM

That said, the Okie legislature has a lot of Pokeys in it, and they might not cotton to little brother being left without a date on Saturdays.Exactly, which is why i'm sure if the SEC wanted to dabble into the ACC and pull a team that FLorida would be ****ting themselved if FSU were mentioned. I don't remember that big of a fiasco when Miami became part of the ACC family though.

King Crimson
9/4/2011, 08:16 PM
not clear to me why Tech is even in this discussion. maybe if it was the Leach/Knight Tech of 5 years ago....but, they are luckiest tortillas in the world if they are still in a "power-conference" when this all shakes out.

OSU is new money and as long as Gundy is winning 9-10 games a year and Boone is writing checks....they have some appeal outside no real media market additions. and, they are good in the so-called spring sports like baseball and golf which the Pac has decided to call (with no lack of pretense) "olympic sports". SEC likes that stuff, too. they have value. not as world-historical at basketball as they think, consistent bubble team with Ford. Sutton had the two Final Four teams. Tech? Tuberville will win 6-8 games a year, nothing special. upset w in Lub from time to time.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/4/2011, 08:31 PM

Dont the states kick in a bunch of money to the schools? Think thats what gives them some pull

Sooner_Tuf
9/4/2011, 08:56 PM
Maybe OSU could take a proactive role to keep the Big 12 alive for themselves. If not Conference USA is good enough for Tulsa should be good enough for OSU.

If the get into the PAC or whatever conference they should do it on their own not on our coat tails. Hey if you can fire someone in Payne County for wearing an OU shirt maybe you should consider taking care of yourself. They have been a school as long as OU. The fact they have sat up there plucking sheep for a century is not our problem.

badger
9/4/2011, 08:57 PM
The Sooners should play hardball with osu. Like I said in another thread, if they wind up in different conferences, OU should agree to continue playing osu only if the pokes agree to provide the OU ticket office w/ 15k tix for the games in Stillwater.

Nah... keep in mind their stadium only holds 60k, so 15k would be 25 percent of poor pokedom.

If anything, they should agree on what an away ticket costs in both norman and stillwater for that game, none of this "we charge gooners $125" crap.

Sooner_Tuf
9/4/2011, 08:58 PM
Dont the states kick in a bunch of money to the schools? Think thats what gives them some pull

Yeah with holding funding would be a really smart move for a State Legislator. They fund the budgets but they don't make decisions for the schools themselves. Both schools are governed by their respective Board of Regents.

Fish&Game
9/4/2011, 09:05 PM
KU has kstate on their coat tails and will go nowhere without them.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2011, 09:36 PM
No way in hell would the Big 10 take the Pokes. Pokes don't have a prayer of getting AAU membership anytime soon, and that's still a requirement in the Big 10. If we went that direction I think Boren has us in position that we could get that rubber-stamped with a minimum of fuss.

soonerboomer93
9/4/2011, 10:34 PM
I'm sure the Pac-12 would rather have Kansas and Mizzou, but I'm also pretty sure that the state legislatures of Oklahoma and Texas would not allow OSU and Tech to be left behind.

I am not sure there's a whole lot the legislature can do. Are they going to threaten to defund OU next year? (lol)

Sand aggie and pokes are all about maintaining in state historic rivalries that have been in conference. Maintaining these regional rivalries are good, maintaining them in conference helps out for the fans.

silverwheels
9/4/2011, 10:36 PM
I am not sure there's a whole lot the legislature can do. Are they going to threaten to defund OU next year? (lol)

Sand aggie and pokes are all about maintaining in state historic rivalries that have been in conference. Maintaining these regional rivalries are good, maintaining them in conference helps out for the fans.

But what are the odds of Tech and OSU landing in a super conference without Texas or OU? Probably slim. And that reduces income for two state schools, which has a lot of effects.

stoopified
9/5/2011, 08:21 AM
Well, is it better for the state of Oklahoma to have one school in a rich, powerful conference (athletically and academically) and one in a poorer conference with worse athletics and academics? OU fans are looking at this with crimson shades. Boren wants what's best for OU, but also for the state.Is this a trick question? Who gives a rat's rear end about osu? I would rather take Tulsa with us. Let the TEAM ON THE RISE and OKLAHOMA'S STATE UNIVERSITY sink or swim on it's own merits instead of riding our coattails.

Jacie
9/5/2011, 08:56 AM
Continuing the theme of the thread title, Ugly Girlfriends are devoted, not high maintenance and willing to let you hit a homerun on a first date. You just don't want your friends to see her with you.

As for Kansas having KSU tied to them, if Oklahoma can shed little brother, no reason Kansas can't do the same.

Sooner_Tuf
9/5/2011, 10:19 AM
If a school can't get in on their own do they really belong?

Peach Fuzz
9/5/2011, 10:38 AM
I've seen it all, now we want Kansas with us! wtf? OSU/Tech are the other in state PUBLIC U's in both states, and yes, legislature still has a lot of power in this. KU in the pac12 wow...

trwxxa
9/5/2011, 11:06 AM
You know we have had a trophy wife on our arm for a long time. The relationship was excellent for many years and made each other look good. We acknowledged each other, but did not really do much together except for a huge annual gala each October. The gala was always a success and was the envy of the football socialites around the country. While the families did not always trust each other, they know the gala was too good to create any waves.

Then the t/w needs some help and we are there to assist. In the end, we hope the relationship gets closer and it does, to the benefit of both. However, you find the t/w has driven a wedge between us and old college buddies and partners. The relationship starts to strain even though the annual gala remains a huge success. She asks you if it is OK to have one boyfriend on the side. You say sure. Then you find out that one becomes two, including one with an old college buddy, plus you find out she prefers high school kids which was not mentioned in the previous arrangement.

Maybe the t/w will change her ways in order to maintain the closer relationship, but the trust is long gone.

It's time to go back to the original relationship and we only show up together for the annual gala, which will remain a highlighted date on the football social calendar.

The Ghost of Mex
9/11/2011, 10:35 AM
This thread title sounds like a Mike Leach quote...

stoopified
9/11/2011, 11:21 AM
I'm sure the Pac-12 would rather have Kansas and Mizzou, but I'm also pretty sure that the state legislatures of Oklahoma and Texas would not allow OSU and Tech to be left behind. Sadly true

FtwTxSooner
9/11/2011, 11:55 AM
The legislatures need to stop denying the ultimate law of natural selection and survial of the fittest. If there is no room for the lesser institution, it is insanity to damage the stronger one. OSU and tech are not the equals of OU and texas.

LiveLaughLove
9/11/2011, 12:09 PM
OU doesn't need OSU and it only helps them, while doing nothing for us to keep them with us.

Here's why this will happen though, politics. Yes, as with everything else in our lives, politicians want a say in every single thing we as a society do, and this will be no different.

Boren is a politician also, and he doesn't want his or his families political legacies tainted by the break up of our schools.

There is NO OTHER logical reason for giving a darn about what happens to OSU from an OU perspective.

Maranatha
9/11/2011, 06:24 PM
I say tell them to put single OU/osu tickets on sale for the game this year or we are leaving them behind.

badger
9/11/2011, 06:47 PM
I say tell them to put single OU/osu tickets on sale for the game this year or we are leaving them behind.

Haha, so you didn't enjoy the $125 tickets they offered Goonerz last year? :rolleyes:

Mac94
9/12/2011, 09:57 AM
So, there is no impediment of which I'm aware precluding OU being in one BCS conference and Okie Lite being in another.

True .... BUT ... can Oklahoma St get in a BCS conference apart from OU? I have my doubts. And if not this becomes less Clemson - South Carolina or Georgia - Georgia Tech and more LSU - Tulane or Ohio State- Ohio

Taxman71
9/12/2011, 07:00 PM
Boren and Hargis have been told by the legislature that they have to stay together under threat of state funding issues. While I think this merely a desperate bluff attempt by Boot Strap U, politicians and college presidents are notoriously spineless when money is endangered. Expect Food Stamp U to follow OU to the Pac10 as annoying as it sounds. Clearly the voice of the fanbase has been ignored.

Soonerfan88
9/12/2011, 07:20 PM
OU fans will accept taking little brother if necessary. However, it's a different story if OU potentially loses an opportunity simply because of funding threats. This is the state legislature and they are much more accessible and known personally by a lot of their constituents, many of whom are OU fans. I think you might hear a different tune about funding once their neighbors start knocking.

Sooner_Havok
9/12/2011, 07:32 PM
Boren and Hargis have been told by the legislature that they have to stay together under threat of state funding issues. While I think this merely a desperate bluff attempt by Boot Strap U, politicians and college presidents are notoriously spineless when money is endangered. Expect Food Stamp U to follow OU to the Pac10 as annoying as it sounds. Clearly the voice of the fanbase has been ignored.

Boren: "We're a public university and 18% of our budget comes from the state. At what point are you no longer a public university?"

http://twitter.com/#!/OUDaily

silverwheels
9/12/2011, 08:13 PM
If OU goes PAC and OSU goes big east, then both schools win. OSU could dominate the big east in football. They could finally get a bcd game. As long as they are with us and Texas, they will never get in a big game.

Possible, but the Pac-12 is willing to take OSU, so this is kind of unnecessary. The Big Ten doesn't want OU or OSU and OU doesn't want the SEC, so unless something extremely unexpected happens, OSU will be in the same conference as OU for the foreseeable future.

King Barry's Back
9/13/2011, 07:18 AM
I seriously doubt Okie State gets an invite to any power conference without riding on our backs. So, this is more about Okie State selling the "it's better for the state" argument. Okla-homey hit the nail on the head, other in-state rivalries have thrived without both teams being in the same conference, this one could too.

What do you mean by "thrived"? Usually, a thriving rivalry is when two schools are both highly ranked, and when they split the w's and l's about evenly.

OSU has failed to win this "rivalry" something like 90% of the time.

I'll admit that in the past few years, the pokes have thrown together some better teams than their historic average, but they still only beat us when we have off-years.

And I frankly don't want that to change. If that means letting little brother rot in a backwater conference, so be it.

King Barry's Back
9/13/2011, 07:57 AM
This thread title sounds like a Mike Leach quote...

Ha ha. That's what I thought.

King Barry's Back
9/13/2011, 08:01 AM
so unless something extremely unexpected happens, OSU will be in the same conference as OU for the foreseeable future.

And at this point, "foreseeable future" looks like a long, long, time. 20 years or more.