I got nothing.

<tears>

CrimsonRez
9/4/2011, 05:54 PM
RIP Mr. Selmon

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2011, 05:55 PM
Text:

TAMPA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Hall of Fame defensive end Lee Roy Selmon died this afternoon, two days after suffering a massive stroke.

Selmon, 56, was admitted to St. Joseph's Hospital Friday. A steady stream of family and former teammates have been visiting Selmon over the weekend to offer support for the first player indicted into Tampa Bay's Ring of Honor and to his family members.

Selmon's teammates are being notified now of his death.
"I don't know what to say," said former Bucs quarterback Doug Williams. "Nobody expects something like this to happen, but you don't control it. I'm 56, just like Lee Roy. There's not a whole lot to say."
"This is devastating for the NFL community, the Tampa Bay community and everyone that knew Mr. Lee Roy Selmon," said former Bucs tight end Jimmie Giles, the newest player inducted into the Bucs of Ring of Honor. "Lee Roy's legacy is he's the most peaceful man you'd ever want to meet. Every time you were around him he made you feel better."
A memorial service is planned in Tampa before Selmon's body is flown to his native Oklahoma for burial services.

sooner59
9/4/2011, 05:55 PM
This hurts.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2011, 05:56 PM
Aw, crap.

King Crimson
9/4/2011, 05:58 PM
always love ya Lee Roy.

best to the Selmon family.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/4/2011, 05:59 PM
Waymon and now Lee Roy. Way too young.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2011, 06:00 PM
This saddens me beyond words.

Keller Sooner
9/4/2011, 06:06 PM
Very very sad news. Lee Roy was special in every sense of the word. The world was a better place with him in it. He will forever be missed. God bless the Selmon family.

cccasooner2
9/4/2011, 06:08 PM
He was a better man than a football player. RIP Lee Roy, so sad to hear.

Sooner95
9/4/2011, 06:10 PM
What a bummer. May he R.I.P. was a great man.

ouwino
9/4/2011, 06:14 PM
He was a better man than a football player. RIP Lee Roy, so sad to hear.

i agree with this post. and, he was the greatest player to ever strap on a helmet at Owen Stadium.

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2011, 06:15 PM
Without Lee Roy Selmon's tenure as AD, USF doesn't even PLAY Notre Dame yesterday, much less beat them.

hanta yo
9/4/2011, 06:17 PM
You will be missed Mr. Selmon. Thank you.

OUinFLA
9/4/2011, 06:22 PM
R.I.P. fellow Sooner.
You made many of my days a lot better.

badger
9/4/2011, 06:22 PM
He got to see his two favorite schools - University of Oklahoma and University of South Florida - get a victory before he passed.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Lee-Roy-Selmon-II.jpg

CBUS_SOONER
9/4/2011, 06:23 PM
RIP This stuff makes me sick... I need to thank the good lord for my health every single day

SOONER STEAKER
9/4/2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the great memories. Your legacy will live on at Owen Field. God Bless the Selmon Family and Sooner Nation on such a great loss.

Sooner in Tampa
9/4/2011, 06:26 PM
My heart is broken ...dammir

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 06:29 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with the Selmon Family and all who love him -- he was a great man not just a football player -- USF football owes so much to LeRoy Selmon. That victory over Notre Dame IMHO was because those USF players dedicated themselves to winning for LeRoy. They wore his number as a Tampa Bay Bucc on their helmets yesterday.

Gerald McCoy could use a few prayers himself as LeRoy was his mentor in Tampa as a fellow Sooner. Been a tough few months for McCoy with first Box and now his mentor LeRoy Selmon passing away.

70sooner
9/4/2011, 06:29 PM
damnit.

he was the best defensive player ever at OU and and terrific ambassador for OU, to boot. I was lucky enough to have seen every game he played in Norman and a few away, also.

RIP and condolences to his brothers and the rest of his family.....

VA Sooner
9/4/2011, 06:31 PM
My prayers and thoughts out to the Selmon family.

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ve6WIxalp0

En_Fuego
9/4/2011, 06:34 PM
R.I.P. Lee Roy Selmon. You will always be loved.

hSyp_1THRlw

Sooner_Tuf
9/4/2011, 06:44 PM
Goodbye Lee Roy. Godspeed.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/4/2011, 06:46 PM
So Sorry for his Family

Prayers

Blessings!

rock on sooner
9/4/2011, 07:03 PM
Too young, too often, the Man upstairs is working on a MASSIVE defense. Please, go with God.....no more words...

47Wins
9/4/2011, 07:08 PM
I was at the last game they played at Owen Field, Lee Roy and Dewey ran onto the field holding hands and no one even thought of a smart aleck remark. All of the Selmons were a joy to watch play and Lee Roy was the very best of the best. Godspeed you'll always have a special place in the hearts of OU fans.

fadada1
9/4/2011, 07:23 PM
Rest In Peace, Lee Roy. You will forever be known as a good man; and always a Sooner.

Bonecrusher#31
9/4/2011, 07:24 PM
RIP to a great man and a Great Family

FaninAma
9/4/2011, 07:24 PM
It's tough to watch individuals who constitute part of your happy memories and are also your contemporaries move on. It makes you feel like things are moving along too fast.

He was a great Sooner and embodied what the program stands for in every way.

C&CDean
9/4/2011, 07:47 PM
It's tough to watch individuals who constitute part of your happy memories and are also your contemporaries move on. It makes you feel like things are moving along too fast.

He was a great Sooner and embodied what the program stands for in every way.

Amen brother Steve, Amen. We're getting old, huh? Missed you Saturday.

BudSooner
9/4/2011, 07:50 PM
Man, I don't have the words right now..RIP Mr Selmon. :(

hawaii 5-0
9/4/2011, 07:57 PM
One of OU's greatest. I'm glad I got to see him play.

Prayers go out to the Selmon Family.

5-0

Wishboned
9/4/2011, 08:00 PM
Rest easy Lee Roy. You've earned it.

Soonerus
9/4/2011, 08:05 PM
R.I.P. Leroy...one of the best players...

tulsaoilerfan
9/4/2011, 08:07 PM
Lee Roy was always up on my Mt Rushmore of heroes and always will be; god bless the Selmon family tonight and in the days and months to come

tulsaoilerfan
9/4/2011, 08:11 PM
Damn i feel so old tonight

soonerboomer93
9/4/2011, 08:34 PM
R.I.P. Lee Roy

DrZaius
9/4/2011, 08:51 PM
God Be with Him!

MountainOkie
9/4/2011, 08:56 PM
I am ever thankful that at Oklahoma our great players are very often great men. This was certainly the case with Lee Roy Selmon.

God Bless his good soul and God Bless his good family.

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2011, 09:00 PM
We need to seriously consider making just one exception in Heisman Park. If ever a player deserved a statue, it's Lee Roy Selmon.

SunnySooner
9/4/2011, 09:04 PM
A very sad day for Sooners everywhere, what a wonderful human being. Prayers for his family, it will be so hard for them. Just heartbreaking.

the-rover
9/4/2011, 09:08 PM
My condolances for Lee Roy's loved ones...........RIP to a great man

TUSooner
9/4/2011, 09:44 PM
I'm so sad, but also moved by all the praise of those who honor him as a man. He did a lot of good and made a lot of people happy in 56 short years.

soonerstan56
9/4/2011, 10:13 PM
A sad loss to all who were touched by Mr. Selmon,not only as a football player but as a person.
When coach Switzer calls him the best player he ever coached,that should tell you how good of a football player he was.
But most of the people who have commented on his passing speak only of him as a person.
This is how we all should hope to be remembered.

Stan

MyT Oklahoma
9/4/2011, 11:45 PM
I just got back to Cimarron and read this. Rest In Peace big guy.

My thoughts and prayers for the Selmon family.

texas bandman
9/4/2011, 11:45 PM
Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

My prayers are with the Selmon family. RIP Lee Roy.

trwxxa
9/4/2011, 11:54 PM
Thoughts and Prayers.

sooner59
9/5/2011, 01:28 AM
Man, I am still floored by this. I remember being in Bradenton, FL with my family and realizing there was a Lee Roy Selmon's restaurant. I went and had an excellent meal, but was very impressed by the meal, ambiance, and Selmon memorabilia. I loved it. I went back when I flew there and spent a few days before driving down for the 08 MNC. I really embraced Lee Roy as the greatest Sooner of all time. And knowing how good of a person he was makes it even harder to think about him not being around anymore for other people to grace his presence. As an alumni and Sooner fan, I hurt for the Selmon family, and I will truly miss his presence. But all of the love from everywhere, including orangepower and hornfans for Lee Roy warms my heart and I can say that I have never been more proud to be a Sooner...if anything, just to be associated with Lee Roy Selmon. The Sooner Nation will miss you Lee Roy. God Bless.

Sooner in Tampa
9/5/2011, 01:41 AM
I am ****ing pissed!!!!!!

Texas Golfer
9/5/2011, 03:08 AM
Rest in peace, Lee Roy.

SCSooner71
9/5/2011, 03:56 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Lee Roy....R.I.P

stoopified
9/5/2011, 07:35 AM
RIP brother and may GOD be with your family.

Cappy
9/5/2011, 09:39 AM
RIP, and prayers to the family. Tragedy...

zeke
9/5/2011, 09:43 AM
RIP

cherokeebrewer
9/5/2011, 10:13 AM
A kinder & gentler person you will never meet. This brings to my heart much sadness...rest in the arms of love Lee Roy...

PLaw
9/5/2011, 10:47 AM
Very, heavy heart today -

I'm so worn down from this summer's grief. Too many sweet memories of those taken too soon.

Prayers for the family, community, coaches, and teammates blessed by having known and loved the man.

It's time for a statue for a defensive player - NOW, before the end of this season.

God bless.

BOOMER SOONER

DrZaius
9/5/2011, 12:18 PM
The King was interviewed by Coach Leech and Arute today on College Football Playbook on Sirius 92 and said some great things about Lee Roy and all of the Selmons. One thing Switzer did point out was that Mrs. Selmon should go into the books as the inventor of the 3-4. I nearly wrecked my truck laughing so hard. It was a really good interview. It should replay at sometime this evening.

PLaw
9/5/2011, 03:15 PM
Man, I am still floored by this. I remember being in Bradenton, FL with my family and realizing there was a Lee Roy Selmon's restaurant. I went and had an excellent meal, but was very impressed by the meal, ambiance, and Selmon memorabilia. I loved it. I went back when I flew there and spent a few days before driving down for the 08 MNC. I really embraced Lee Roy as the greatest Sooner of all time. And knowing how good of a person he was makes it even harder to think about him not being around anymore for other people to grace his presence. As an alumni and Sooner fan, I hurt for the Selmon family, and I will truly miss his presence. But all of the love from everywhere, including orangepower and hornfans for Lee Roy warms my heart and I can say that I have never been more proud to be a Sooner...if anything, just to be associated with Lee Roy Selmon. The Sooner Nation will miss you Lee Roy. God Bless.

Dude, I lived in Bradenton for 5 years during the 90's and still go there on business. What's the restaraunt's location? Man, there was some solid HS football down there.

Boomer

sooner59
9/5/2011, 06:56 PM
Dude, I lived in Bradenton for 5 years during the 90's and still go there on business. What's the restaraunt's location? Man, there was some solid HS football down there.

Boomer

It is on Cortez Rd. and would be on the right side of the road if you were driving toward the beach.

DrZaius
9/5/2011, 07:44 PM
http://vimeo.com/12392983

Here is his Hall of Fame Reel. Courtesy of Selmons Restaurant.

DrZaius
9/5/2011, 07:46 PM
http://vimeo.com/12392909

His Ring of Honor Ceremony...

mojorisen2014
9/5/2011, 09:36 PM
They need to put the Selmon brothers statues in front of the Swizter Center.

BulverdeSooner
9/5/2011, 10:20 PM
One of the greatest Sooners ever if not The greatest. Thoughts and prayers to the Selmon Family.
Thank You Lee Roy for being such a wonderful human being.
Rest In Peace

Lawton4Life
9/6/2011, 08:44 AM
I was so hoping he would get better. Great Sooner and Great Man.

DrZaius
9/6/2011, 08:47 AM
They need to put the Selmon brothers statues in front of the Swizter Center.

and they should be about 20' tall IMO.

IB4OU2
9/6/2011, 08:58 AM
I met Leroy in 1974, he was in a room next to mine at NMHospital recovering from a heart condition right before the 74 season. I was a Sophmore and he was a freshman at OU. I was having some corrective surgery done on my right ankle. Leroy came over to my room and we talked quite a bit and became friends and then I saw him alot around campus the next few years. Leroy was a very kind and gentle person off the field and one of the greatest players ever on the field...he will be greatly missed. My condolences to Dewey and Lucious and all the Selmon family. :(

Sooner in Tampa
9/6/2011, 09:21 AM
What a great man!!! The world is less special right now...

I remember leaving the MNC game right after Florida had beat us...I was walking out of the stadium by myself...obviously very dejected about another BCS loss. By pure happenstance, I ran into Lee Roy...I shook my head and asked him..."How do we stop losing these damn games?" He was so calm and reassuring, he shook my hand and simply said..."You have to be in the game to win it...This is not our first NC game and it won't be our last...We are fine...We are Oklahoma" He made me feel so much better.

It is REALLY cool to see all of the outpouring of support here in Tampa...He really was a GIANT.

This world needs a lot more people like Mr. Selmon.

SoonerNomad
9/6/2011, 04:53 PM
Just over the top of my computer on my office wall is a picture from 1973 of the three Selmon brothers. It's been their forever, but I find myself staring at it over and over today. I turned 13 the year the brothers formed the defensive line at OU.

One of my fondest memories is from early 2001 when I was attending a legal seminar in Tampa, I took three younger colleagues of mine from Tallahassee to Selmon's restaurant which was not far from the Buc's stadium. It became clear during dinner that while they had heard of his success in the pros, none of them knew anything about Lee Roy's college history. I regaled them with stories of his prowess as the best player in OU's history and the glory years of '74 and '75. These young guys were Florida State fans and it was great to show them that college football didn't start in 1980.

I wish I would have met Mr. Selmon.

Rest in Peace Lee Roy. My condolences to his family.