PDA

View Full Version : Very OLD news: Boone Pickens loves monkeys, in charge of Big 12 decision

cleller
9/4/2011, 08:25 AM
You probably saw this, but it will provide a forum to make fun of the Wrinkled One.

http://newsok.com/osu-booster-boone-pickens-were-looking-for-another-team-or-were-looking-west/article/3601042

BudSooner
9/4/2011, 08:35 AM
There is something seriously wrong with that man.

ouflak
9/4/2011, 08:50 AM
I don't know. He wasn't so bad. It just seemed like he was speaking what he was thinking, instead of maybe taking a moment and thinking about what he really wanted to say. One thing that surprises me from that interview is that he appears to have been caught off guard by all of this recent re-alignment fervor that has gripped the Big XII-II-I. I can certainly understand him being completely flummoxed over the result of an OU-OSU football game. But it's hard to imagine this guy being caught off guard with regards to anything involving money and big business, which is all the re-alignment stuff really is.

BudSooner
9/4/2011, 08:57 AM
I don't know. He wasn't so bad. It just seemed like he was speaking what he was thinking, instead of maybe taking a moment and thinking about what he really wanted to say. One thing that surprises me from that interview is that he appears to have been caught off guard by all of this recent re-alignment fervor that has gripped the Big XII-II-I. I can certainly understand him being completely flummoxed over the result of an OU-OSU football game. But it's hard to imagine this guy being caught off guard with regards to anything involving money and big business, which is all the re-alignment stuff really is.Agreed, has he not been awake the past year?
After the first dominoes fell, there was no way it was going to stop with just NU/CU.

Keller Sooner
9/4/2011, 09:02 AM
Boone knows wind.

SoonerMarkVA
9/4/2011, 09:02 AM
What a bunch of babbling nonsense. Why anyone cares what this guy has to say about the XII is a complete mystery.

ouflak
9/4/2011, 09:05 AM
What a bunch of babbling nonsense. Why anyone cares what this guy has to say about the XII is a complete mystery. I suspect 300 million dollars to one of the member school plus some millions chucked out to a few other member schools (OU, TX, A&M) means that someone has to atleast pretend to be listening to whatever he has to say.

bluedogok
9/4/2011, 09:05 AM
What a bunch of babbling nonsense. Why anyone cares what this guy has to say about the XII is a complete mystery.Even if he is clueless it is because he is the de facto AD at OSU. Notice though that at all schools not named Texas the realignment discussions have been coming from the school presidents, even Hargis.

jk the sooner fan
9/4/2011, 09:06 AM
because he has a buttload of money

70sooner
9/4/2011, 09:33 AM
Boone knows wind.

Boone breaks wind....

badger
9/4/2011, 10:21 AM
He's been sounding more odd lately... is his health failing him? When he passes, I suspect anything in his energy fortune not specifically earmarked for his beloved OSU will suddenly be invested in horsies by his wife... and her own alma mater, UT.

cleller
9/4/2011, 10:22 AM
It just irks me that he fully considers himself to have a seat at the table for any decisions OSU makes. Granted, he bought the seat, and is using it-and there probably is no table, Boone just notifies the anonymous AD and president of his decisions.
Most donor alums have enough humility to step aside let AD's and presidents give those type of interviews to the press.
Its a state school, with certain requirements as to who runs it.

badger
9/4/2011, 10:26 AM
Both the prez and AD were recently chosen since Boone's big donations... I know Holder was chosen by Boone, it is possible Hargis was endorsed by Boone as well. Therefore, he will always be in their ears, like it or not.

I am sure OU has some bigtime donors that get regular updates on football and conference allignment too. Maybe its easier to just have one big donor like OSU?

bluedogok
9/4/2011, 10:30 AM
Humility has never been one of Pickens personality traits. His actions just expose the truth that has always been hidden from the public about big donors, they are in control of many aspects of even public universities. Yes, most have enough wisdom (like Red McCombs here at UT) to back away from the school spotlight and use their influence in a behind the scenes manner. Pickens has always been a brash crook, to expect him to change at this age is beyond any reasonable expectation.

winout
9/4/2011, 11:56 AM
But it's hard to imagine this guy being caught off guard with regards to anything involving money and big business, which is all the re-alignment stuff really is.

Have you been watching his recent trades in regard to oil and nat gas? Do you realize why the money he "donated" evaporated?

badger
9/4/2011, 12:06 PM
Have you been watching his recent trades in regard to oil and nat gas? Do you realize why the money he "donated" evaporated?

I do indeed recall. Basically, the portfolio was so high that OSU was begging Boone-o to let them have the money, but he said that it would go even higher, so he kept it in... and the earnings all vanished with the falling economy.

Thus, the invisible athletic village.

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 12:06 PM
I haven't gotten over the fact that Pickens donates to a partnership that he and Holder runs and then that fund backs the loans that OSU gets. There is something about an AD being in partnership with Pickens that controls the dollars doesn't sit right. The NCAA needs to take a look at OSU and how Pickens handles the donations since it goes to a fund that he and Holder control. If it was Pickens and someone else other than the AD, I wouldn't see a problem, but that smells with Holder.

On one message board someone suggested that the NCAA look at Weeden and Blackmon and why they came back this year inferring Pickens had something to do with it.

If a donor gives to OU, you can bet that check is going to be deposited in short order.

The fact that Boone Pickens speaks for OSU should tell the PAC 10, they don't want OSU. Hargis said he was in on what was happening looks to be a lie since all the schools were caught off guard by Pres Boren's comments. It had the smell of "me too, me too" -- would say only a few people knew what Boren was up to and it sure wasn't OSU because he is smart enough to know if you tell anyone at OSU, Pickens will be in front of the media.

bluedogok
9/4/2011, 12:08 PM
The thing is Pickens will die off and OSU will still be around. Maybe after that they can get back to some sort of normal athletic department.

badger
9/4/2011, 12:11 PM
I don't think Boone had to pay Weeden and Blackmon to return. Weeden was once a high Yankee draft pick, and there was a tremendous glut of WR's in last year's draft, so I think that's why Broyles stayed at OU, so its plausible that Blackmon would stay for the same reason.

Where, exactly, would Weeden have been drafted? Late. Not worth the risk, especially in this new era of scaled rookie contracts.

the-rover
9/4/2011, 12:29 PM
Boone knows wind.

Boone breaks wind....

Boone is wind

King Crimson
9/4/2011, 12:57 PM
he certainly goes out of his way to link OU and OSU.....

not bad journalism from Jenni, to be told.

she's terrible but she asks some real questions here.

Whet
9/4/2011, 01:56 PM
I think he said what Boren tried to say - Texas will be an equal partner, or we gone. Boren, using his politician speak, came across as no way we are staying. A couple reporters, hearing what they thought he said, then started the whole move to the PAC#, which has now been re-reported across the wires.

If you read what Boren actually said - we are looking for a replacement 10th team and eventually build up the conference back to 12. His too was inferring Texas must be an equal partner, not a partner +. Equal partners = stability.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2011, 02:39 PM
I think he said what Boren tried to say - Texas will be an equal partner, or we gone. Boren, using his politician speak, came across as no way we are staying. A couple reporters, hearing what they thought he said, then started the whole move to the PAC#, which has now been re-reported across the wires.

If you read what Boren actually said - we are looking for a replacement 10th team and eventually build up the conference back to 12. His too was inferring Texas must be an equal partner, not a partner +. Equal partners = stability.

Except that Boren is the master politician of the two. He said all the right things so that we look like we did everything in our power to hold the Big XII together, but unfortunately we just couldn't do it, so now we have to move on to what is the best option for OU long term.

Pickens is trying to get a sound bite in front of the media. Boren is playing chess five moves ahead of anyone else in the Big XII.

Whet
9/4/2011, 04:41 PM
Boren's statement:

BOREN“It’s too early yet to know exactly what the outcome will be. Our main responsibility will be protecting the interest of the University of Oklahoma, do what’s in the best long-term interest of the university and our athletics department and the fans. That’s what we’ll attempt to do to. Beyond that, while we haven’t been saying much publicly – frankly, on purpose, because we’re at the sensitive point of discussions among schools. Too much said in public reduces success of our goals rather than enhances it.
“We have to study the best options for ourselves and not lock ourselves into a course of action until we know what’s best for the university. We’re heavily involved. I don’t know how long it will be before clarity comes to us. My experience is that, in these kinds of things, it might be a matter of 72 hours, it might be a matter of two weeks. I don’t really think this is something that’s going to linger on beyond two or three weeks, from the outside. This has been consuming my life the last few days. It’s a fascinating challenge. We’re just in the search for what’s best for the university.
(what’s goal that cannot be compromised?)
“If I start discussing too much detail, I’d compromise. We obviously want stability in our conference relationships. We want partners that are above outstanding, both athletically and academically. A conference that’s strong is not only stable, but it’s one in which there are multiple relationships, along with sports, between university members. We have some great partners in the existing Big 12. We have interest from other conferences and other universities. It’s really attributed to the strength of the programs at the University of Oklahoma that there is so much interest in us. We have to carefully evaluate the various comments being made to us and various possibilities before we decide what’s best for the University of Oklahoma.
(disappointed this has happened again?)
“I hoped we had stability. I guess I’m just disappointed that the original Big 12 is not the same Big 12. I was extremely disappointed when Nebraska departed. I was disappointed when Colorado departed. Obviously, as you’ve tracked my plane flying here or there, you know that I would be disappointed that Texas A&M left. I was personally involved in trying to see if there was some way that that would not happen. So, it is a disappointment that those schools have left and that we face the challenge that we do today.”
SECOND HALF
(have to have 12 teams to be viable?)
“I don’t think anything has to be, at all. Everything doesn’t have to be done today. There’s nothing that says the conference will collapse at nine. We have a full season to play and all that to go through before …
“Obviously, I think eventually – that doesn’t mean one year, maybe it’s going to take two or three years … if we were eventually to get back to 12, I would feel better about it. On the other hand, we don’t know what’s going to happen. Some things are trends beyond the control of any one university. Is there going to be a continued trend toward consolidation? Or are we going to see conferences that are now 12 (teams) – and there are three of them, I guess – move to 16. Is that going to happen? Maybe that’s not going to happen. We’ve seen both. We’ve seen tendency toward consolidation and then you’ve seen some pushback in the very largest conferences that say it’s gotten too big. We’re trying to sort all that out.
“At this point in time, I’ll be very honest with you in saying I do not know with certainty, or perhaps even can’t hazard a totally intelligent guess as to what our final decision will be. But we are carefully looking over all the options. We are … there’s no school more active in the Big 12 more active than we are right now. Of course, Joe Castiglione’s a wonderful partner with me in being active in this process. Our regents are a very cohesive, supportive group in working with us. … I think that gives us a good leg up on anybody. Nobody has more unity in their university, of being ready to go in which direction is in our best interest and helps us.
(ball’s in OU’s court?)
“I’ll just put it this way: I think we’ve been ever since we became a member of this conference, we’re a very influential member of the conference. I think we remain a very influential member of the conference. I’ll just put it that way. Influential not only in this conference, but influential in athletics across the country. It’s a tribute to the strength of this program. I’ll put it this way: I don’t think there’s any chance OU’s going to end up being a wallflower.”

GDC
9/4/2011, 05:11 PM
http://donner-party.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/face-ripper-monkey.jpg