PDA

View Full Version : Run game looked much improved.

OUInformant
9/3/2011, 11:23 PM
A good combination of good OLine and RB play. LJ didn't get touched.

badger
9/3/2011, 11:32 PM
It looked really Walk-On Whaley. :D

finster
9/3/2011, 11:44 PM
Who is starting at Langston? We need to get that kid ASAP.

SoonerofAlabama
9/3/2011, 11:45 PM
No sacks allowed and we had about 250 rush yards. I like it.

badger
9/3/2011, 11:59 PM
Dear Langston,

Send more backup running backs.

Love from Norman, Okla.

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/4/2011, 12:05 AM
Langston is kicking their dogs and drowinng their kittahs right about now...

Curly Bill
9/4/2011, 12:08 AM
Very glad we proved we can move the ball on the ground, at least based on a one game sample. Makes our offense much more dangerous when our run game is a serious consideration.

goingoneight
9/4/2011, 12:19 AM
very true... it'll be interesting to see how Finch gets involved down the road. It's clearly a 2A and 2B kinda situation between him and Clay right now.

CatfishSooner
9/4/2011, 12:19 AM
I was a little disappointed jonathon miller didn't play any better, but I suppose it probably had to do w/ being in there with 2nd teamers on the line...

Curly Bill
9/4/2011, 12:20 AM
Miller looked like a tough dude to bring down, he just had no chance at all.

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 12:23 AM
Run game looked much improved is an understatement. We actually scored from a few yards out. Couldn't believe our kicker missed an extra point. So glad Stevens is a senior!

sooner59
9/4/2011, 12:23 AM
Considering who Miller was playing with when he came in, Miller played nicely.

Curly Bill
9/4/2011, 12:25 AM
Yup, if we fire anyone can it be Stevens? Is he a cat or what because he has to be about out of lives. Even the kicks he makes usually look like crap. :distress:

CatfishSooner
9/4/2011, 12:26 AM
someone i was sitting by said he (stevens) may have gotten injured....pulled hammy or something...I dont know?

sooner59
9/4/2011, 12:26 AM
Who all was pumped when we just lined up, ran the ball right up the gut, blew them off the line, and got in the endzone? This did not happen the last two years...maybe three. Loadholt, Duke, and team were good pass blockers. I like running down teams' throats. Its so demeaning for them. lol

CatfishSooner
9/4/2011, 12:29 AM
Who all was pumped when we just lined up, ran the ball right up the gut, blew them off the line, and got in the endzone? This did not happen the last two years...maybe three. Loadholt, Duke, and team were good pass blockers. I like running down teams' throats. Its so demeaning for them. lol

I WAS pumped

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 12:29 AM
someone i was sitting by said he (stevens) may have gotten injured....pulled hammy or something...I dont know?

Don't normally want to see someone get hurt but I have had about all of Stevens low kicks I want to see so if he pulled a hamstring, hope it takes a while to get back. He just doesn't seem to get any better.

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 12:31 AM
Loved being able to run the ball this year. Whaley was impressive and so was Clay -- Clay has really good hands to be able to catch as well. Great start to the season!

CatfishSooner
9/4/2011, 12:31 AM
Don't normally want to see someone get hurt but I have had about all of Stevens low kicks I want to see so if he pulled a hamstring, hope it takes a while to get back. He just doesn't seem to get any better.

He's starting for a reason ... b/c he is the best we have... can't believe you want him to be injured even if he does suck

Curly Bill
9/4/2011, 12:33 AM
I don't know that I've ever seen a kicker outside of high school line up to kick that I had less confidence in than Stevens. I don't wish him injury, but I wish we'd move on already.

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 12:39 AM
I meant to say: I didn't want him to get hurt but if he did get hurt I don't want him back for a long time. He is one of the worst kickers at a major school I have ever seen. I don't like any player getting hurt and on the radio they said we had no injuries.

Wishboned
9/4/2011, 12:57 AM
I was worried after that first trip into the redzone. The offense looked awfully familiar during that set of plays.

After that I was very happy. The offensive line did great. They were very disciplined. Not a single motion penalty.

I thought they looked like they were in mid season form. And then all I could think was that Stills was not there. And as the season goes on they will all improve. Those thoughts keep me smiling.

hawaii 5-0
9/4/2011, 01:04 AM
Watching OU's run game made me not miss DeMarco quite so much.

I think we'll be fine, especially if the O Line is blocking well.

I'm glad Heupel is utilizing Millard. I thought some of his talent was wasted last season.

The Offense looked like a Machine out there.

5-0

Sooner_Tuf
9/4/2011, 01:42 AM
Jimmy doesn't look to bad on paper. He does seem to struggle out past the forty. Last year he was 53-53 on extra points.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stevens_jimmy00.html

LASooner
9/4/2011, 01:50 AM

for 4 years?

Soonerus
9/4/2011, 01:59 AM
I think he got hurt tonight, poor excuse...

EatLeadCommie
9/4/2011, 02:24 AM
Jimmy doesn't look to bad on paper. He does seem to struggle out past the forty. Last year he was 53-53 on extra points.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stevens_jimmy00.html
He doesn't look bad on paper because the majority of his field goals are from under 30 yards. From beyond 30, he's crap, and a lot of his 20-29 yarders are hail marys

sperry
9/4/2011, 02:25 AM
Jimmy Stevens is awful, Dominique Whaley is excellent. Jimmy Stevens has a scholarship, Dominique Whaley does not. I see a very easy solution to this predicament, although it's not gonna happen.

I also see at least one back transferring. I think Jermie Calhoun will play his SR season at a 1-AA school, and I think one out of Brandon Williams, Jonathan Miller, and Roy Finch will transfer out. There just aren't a lot of carries for them in the foreseeable future.

LASooner
9/4/2011, 02:27 AM
Whatever the opposite of "clutch" is, that is Stevens. What the stats don't show is the field goals he missed we're much more critical than most of the ones he made.

EatLeadCommie
9/4/2011, 02:32 AM
I was worried after that first trip into the redzone. The offense looked awfully familiar during that set of plays.

After that I was very happy. The offensive line did great. They were very disciplined. Not a single motion penalty.

I thought they looked like they were in mid season form. And then all I could think was that Stills was not there. And as the season goes on they will all improve. Those thoughts keep me smiling.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. The first series I thought, aw crap, here we go again. After that we looked good. We didn't look great, but we looked good. People will say, well it was just Tulsa, but we couldn't blow Tulsa or anybody else off the line before. To do so tonight was improvement. I am still not convinced we can do it with any consistency against a quality team, but fortunately, it looks like the Big XII is going to suck donkey schlong this year so we won't have to worry about it until the bowl game...and FSU.

swardboy
9/4/2011, 05:32 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Hunnicut coming in to kick. His kicks were much higher and much stronger than Jimmy's. I hope Stoops stays with Hunnicut.

Every kick of Stephen's is a candidate to be blocked. It just is what it is. He stands 0 chance of kicking at the next level.

I'll say this for him though, I remember him getting a chewing out from one of the players on the sideline a couple of years ago. You can't say Jimmy ever quit, and I do admire that from him. He'll be a success in life no doubt.

GameWarden
9/4/2011, 07:19 AM
Yep run game is much improved. I thougth all the backs looked good, including J. Mills. He had a couple of nice runs with the twos in there even tho it was pretty tough sledding. I think given time he would break one just like Whaley did.
I think we'll see more of Finch later on if his fumble didn't get him in too much trouble.

w0lfe
9/4/2011, 07:23 AM
Just wait for our secret weapon Williams in 2 weeks :fat:

swardboy
9/4/2011, 07:34 AM
Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
Whaley,Dom 18 132 1 131 4 35 7.3
Clay,Brennan 14 64 0 64 1 11 4.6
Finch,Roy 5 24 1 23 0 12 4.6

Those numbers will go a long way to keeping Mr. Landry's pants clean.

So Finch WAS in the slot a lot. This bodes well for future surprises I think.

PhilTLL
9/4/2011, 08:56 AM
There is a very good rea$on Jimmy Stevens is the $tarter.

cccasooner2
9/4/2011, 09:00 AM
The short yardage TDs had the FB, 3 TEs blocking very well along with the rest of the line.

BigTip
9/4/2011, 09:02 AM
The offensive line did great. They were very disciplined. Not a single motion penalty.
In the entire game! Seems like last year we couldn't get through a possession without one.

Man it feels great being so stacked with backs. I feel like there is just a pile of them on the sideline ready to be thrown into the game.

cantwait48
9/4/2011, 10:50 AM
I thought we had fewer negative or no gain plays than usual in the running game as well, especially with Whaley in there.

Jacie
9/4/2011, 12:00 PM
Only two penalties, no sacks, no interceptions, did not allow a return for a score, I'd say Sooners looked pretty good for an opener.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2011, 12:10 PM
He's starting for a reason ... b/c he is the best we have... can't believe you want him to be injured even if he does suck

This - he keeps winning the job, so blame the other kickers or the coaches for not getting better ones. BTW, he was 53/53 on XPs last year, so it's not like he misses them all the time. I can believe the injury rumor since they did put in Hunicutt for the last XP.

oudavid1
9/4/2011, 12:46 PM
A good combination of good OLine and RB play. LJ didn't get touched.

On our first 3rd down that was unsuccessful he did get hit and go the ground. But after that he was fine. I like on that blown-up reverse when we took off and Ben Habern (his bff) was blocking for him and he just stepped out of bounds. Smart move.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2011, 01:36 PM
Another positive aspect of the run game or at least the RB play in this case - Clay looked very comfortable running routes and catching the ball. I'm not saying he will be another DM, but a very good sign.