PDA

View Full Version : NewsOK: OU focus is on PAC

Sooner5030
9/3/2011, 05:26 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3601037

If true I am neither happy nor upset. My preference as both a Sooners and college football fan would have been to replace ATM and keep the BIG12. However, if we were forced into a new conference I preferred the PAC. This is just sad for college football. I think the unintended consequences will be fewer and less attractive OOC games. Expanded conference play will cause coaches to hesitate to schedule tough OOC games.

Hope MU instead of Tech is included.

silverwheels
9/3/2011, 05:33 PM
There's not really a school the Big 12 could add that would benefit the conference as much as that school, which is why this is happening. ND and Arkansas are better off in their current situations. BYU and the Big 12 couldn't find a common ground. Pitt wouldn't leave the Big East without ND, and WVU and Louisville seem pretty happy where they are now, or are else waiting on the SEC. SMU, Houston, Air Force, and TCU would take more than they give to the Big 12, so they're out.

I wish we could go back to last summer when there were still 12 teams in this conference, but that's long gone now. Might as well go to a new conference with more stability and better revenue-earning potential.

LiveLaughLove
9/3/2011, 05:34 PM
Don't care if it's Tech or Mizzou (although I would prefer Tech). What I do care about is that the Pac doesn't change things just to get UT. That's the core of the Big XII's problems. They need to simply ask UT to join, let them say yea or nay, and move on from there. Take Tech and Mizzou and leave UT out all together if they won't conform.

Let them beg the Big 10-11-12 for a spot and their precious network. Or the SEC. See where that gets em.

If the Pac bends, they will break, just like the SWC and now the Big XII.

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 05:37 PM
I agree, if the Pac expands to 16 with OU, OSU, Texas and another team, UT needs to be 1 member of 16 and not a "special member" with any additional rights or revenue or special exemptions. Their overbearing nature is what has doomed two conferences.

Landthief 1972
9/3/2011, 05:38 PM
"It's somewhat surprising that comment came out because I know everybody's been working together," Alden said. "You put something like that out there and it just reinforces that image of being unstable. How do you recover from that? I don't know."

:stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid::s tupid::stupid:

Are you kidding me Alden? Yeah, we really portrayed stability by losing 3 teams in 2 years in a conference being strongarmed by Texas via their puppet Beebe.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/3/2011, 05:39 PM
Let's get it done.

Sooner5030
9/3/2011, 05:46 PM
There's not really a school the Big 12 could add that would benefit the conference as much as that school, which is why this is happening. ND and Arkansas are better off in their current situations. BYU and the Big 12 couldn't find a common ground. Pitt wouldn't leave the Big East without ND, and WVU and Louisville seem pretty happy where they are now, or are else waiting on the SEC. SMU, Houston, Air Force, and TCU would take more than they give to the Big 12, so they're out.

I wish we could go back to last summer when there were still 12 teams in this conference, but that's long gone now. Might as well go to a new conference with more stability and better revenue-earning potential.

I think the biggest factor is the probability that MIZZOU would be attractive to other conferences and once we lost the KC and STL markets we'd be stuck like chuck. This was a preemptive move based on MIZZOU......at least I think.

I think it's the right decision but I am not one of those that are all giddy about the end of the BIG12. We've had relationships with some of these teams for 50-80 years.

Also, I blame UNL more than anyone for the end of the BIG12.

JohnnyMack
9/3/2011, 05:58 PM

You misspelled Texas.

LASooner
9/3/2011, 06:00 PM
The best Part about joining the PAC is that Arizona State has some of the most smoking hot chicks you'll ever see.

soonercoop1
9/3/2011, 06:28 PM
Don't want OU to go out on the left coast...no offense...

SwooshOU
9/3/2011, 06:30 PM
The OBTS will dominate PAC. (Old Big Twelve South)

Wishboned
9/3/2011, 06:47 PM
It'll be nice to beat USC's *** enough times to even up that series.

silverwheels
9/3/2011, 06:48 PM
Don't want OU to go out on the left coast...no offense...

I'd rather we stayed put, but that won't benefit OU in the long term. Pac-12 is next best option when taking everything into account.

badger
9/3/2011, 06:50 PM
The best Part about joining the PAC is that Arizona State has some of the most smoking hot chicks you'll ever see.

NGHeaLGC8rM

LiveLaughLove
9/3/2011, 06:50 PM
I think the biggest factor is the probability that MIZZOU would be attractive to other conferences and once we lost the KC and STL markets we'd be stuck like chuck. This was a preemptive move based on MIZZOU......at least I think.

I think it's the right decision but I am not one of those that are all giddy about the end of the BIG12. We've had relationships with some of these teams for 50-80 years.

You can blame UNL, but that doesn't change the facts. UT is the plague. UNL did the smartest thing for them.

Sooner5030
9/3/2011, 06:51 PM
Had UNL dominated on the field they would've stayed.

Their future was diminishing with OU/OSU/UT gaining strength.

LiveLaughLove
9/3/2011, 07:09 PM
Had UNL dominated on the field they would've stayed.

Their future was diminishing with OU/OSU/UT gaining strength.

I'm no UNL apologist, but that's just not true. They were positioned to dominate the Big XII North for the foreseeable future. That gives them a 50/50 shot of conference championships almost yearly. A much better spot than they are in now.

Some of you are acting like UNL just held their finger to the wind and said, "It's time to leave". They didn't choose to leave. It was chosen for them. They simply reacted (and well I might add).

UT started all of this by wanting more of everything. They started talking to the Pac as a bargaining chip with Bebee. Mizzou panicked (or used it as an excuse to bolt) and began talks with the Big 10-11-12.

aTm started yacking with the SEC. UNL then started talking to eh Big 10-11-12 themselves. Lo and behold, the Big 10-11-12 said "Yeah come on" to UNL and "no sorry" to Mizzou. Then UT, OU, CU, and the others started yacking with the Pac in earnest.

The Pac thinking they were getting us all offered invites. CU accepted. The rest of us balked and got the new TV package. The Pac had to add Utah to make it even.

UNL is only guilty of not taking it up the wazoo any longer. I would have prefered we kept UNL and ditched UT. I would prefer we don't take them to the Pac, but it looks like we are doomed to have them (the plague) and OSU (the retards) with us wherever we go.

VA Sooner
9/3/2011, 07:30 PM
Games will be in a good location though.

soonercoop1
9/3/2011, 07:58 PM
You can blame UNL, but that doesn't change the facts. UT is the plague. UNL did the smartest thing for them.

It has been all the fault of Texass for this break up as we saved them once already when they destroyed the SW conference so Texass has now destroyed 2 conferences...should have kicked Texass out before Neb left...

SoonerMarkVA
9/4/2011, 08:05 AM
“Given what the Pac-12 has announced, there's a place for the Pac-12 and Texas to keep their network,” an OU source said.

So, last year, things fell apart because ut wanted to pursue their own network and the Pac-10 holds firm. That buys ut a year to do just that. Now, after the issue was enough to keep the move from happening, the Pac-12 has already acquiesced because they're willing to start selling out for the ut "jewel". Are we already seeing the erosion of our likely next conference due to ut greed?

I'd rather the Pac-12 hold firm: this is what we told you over a year ago, and nothing's changed. ut needs some restraints, and if they show they're going to continue their viral ways then let them languish in the Big 6, or whatever's left after we and 3 others join the Pac-16.

oumaddawg
9/4/2011, 10:21 AM
I just can't get excited to join the Pac-12. I would rather see us join the Big-10, although I know that's a pipe dream. We should of made our move to a new conference last year instead of trying to keep this sinking ship afloat.

Sooner5030
9/4/2011, 10:25 AM
I'd say that keeping the BIG12 alive is still the #2 priority. If we can't get UT to join the PAC we'll invite BYU and talk to PITT and others to patch up the B12. Phase one would be replace aTm, then get to twelve and have a plan to go to 16 if at least two others do it.

soonerboomer93
9/4/2011, 10:39 AM
Not that frankly Texas being Texas doesn't cause some tension, but didn't Mizzou go looking to the Big 10 well before UT started talking to anyone? Didn't UNL get pissed off because one of the votes (maybe it was the network one) didn't go they way they want, in fact, they're they only one who voted against individual school networks?

CU has been wanting to join the PAC for years, I grew up in Denver and stuff about CU to the Pac would come up every few years. Mizzou was always looking at joining the Big, just UNL punk'd them. As I recall, UT didn't even get kind of serious until UNL (and CU) declined to commit to the conference.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/4/2011, 11:21 AM
Not that frankly Texas being Texas doesn't cause some tension, but didn't Mizzou go looking to the Big 10 well before UT started talking to anyone? Didn't UNL get pissed off because one of the votes (maybe it was the network one) didn't go they way they want, in fact, they're they only one who voted against individual school networks?

CU has been wanting to join the PAC for years, I grew up in Denver and stuff about CU to the Pac would come up every few years. Mizzou was always looking at joining the Big, just UNL punk'd them. As I recall, UT didn't even get kind of serious until UNL (and CU) declined to commit to the conference.

all true statements

But Mizzou went looking because they were unhappy...same w UNL. And I suspect they will tell you they were unhappy because whorn was whorn for all these years

virginiasooner
9/4/2011, 11:31 AM
Speaking from my slightly skewed view from the East Coast, I HATE the idea of West Coast games -- for instance, a 7 pm game in Palo Alto, Los Angeles, or Seattle means a 10 pm start for us out here. Which, frankly, sucks big time. I'm not up to staying up past 1 am for a game. I'd rather join the SEC. Yeah, it tougher, but it's also closer to me! I wish the NCAA would say that a conference could span no more than two time zones. Or, let the Texas teams join the SEC, and OU, OSU, Mizzou, and I-State join the Big 10.

MeMyself&Me
9/4/2011, 11:50 AM

The way I remember it, Texas was first to talk to the Big 10 and when it was reported that they had talked to the Big 10, THEN Missouri started jumping up and down saying "Look at ME!!!". Then I remember UNL being boxed in a corner by Beebe (a la Tejas) when they were told to make up their mind by a certain time cause everyone else of importance may be headed to the Pac.

Speaking from my slightly skewed view from the East Coast, I HATE the idea of West Coast games -- for instance, a 7 pm game in Palo Alto, Los Angeles, or Seattle means a 10 pm start for us out here. Which, frankly, sucks big time. I'm not up to staying up past 1 am for a game. I'd rather join the SEC. Yeah, it tougher, but it's also closer to me! I wish the NCAA would say that a conference could span no more than two time zones. Or, let the Texas teams join the SEC, and OU, OSU, Mizzou, and I-State join the Big 10.

Can we quit talking about the late kickoffs, chicken little? It would be stupid to put a central time zone team on that late. Not going to happen.The only time the Pac does that now is when two west coast teams are playing AND there's only a regional interest. Even if OU's game was located on the left coast, it's not going to be played that late for TV purposes. Too much value across the rest of the country, particularly in the central time zone.

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 11:54 AM
PAC 12 says that the Longhorns can keep the network BUT they have to share their revenue equally with the other schools -- share and share alike. The BUT is the key to this. That $30M a year will not be split 16 ways if they go into the PAC 12! They will also have to abide by the same rules as the regional networks they are setting up. Will the Longhorns want to remain in the Big 12 with that option?

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 11:57 AM
Can we quit talking about the late kickoffs, chicken little? It would be stupid to put a central time zone team on that late. Not going to happen.The only time the Pac does that now is when two west coast teams are playing AND there's only a regional interest. Even if OU's game was located on the left coast, it's not going to be played that late for TV purposes. Too much value across the rest of the country, particularly in the central time zone.

One of the reasons the PAC 10 is interested is to get in the central time zone. What it would mean is that our chances of playing an 11:00 o'clock game could be nil which would suit me just fine. I detest 11:00 o'clock games.

Flagstaffsooner
9/4/2011, 12:02 PM
texass can go rot in hell for all I care.

bluedogok
9/4/2011, 12:05 PM
One of the reasons the PAC 10 is interested is to get in the central time zone. What it would mean is that our chances of playing an 11:00 o'clock game could be nil which would suit me just fine. I detest 11:00 o'clock games.
I agree, I hate the 11:00 am games, ESPECIALLY the OU-Texas game.

the-rover
9/4/2011, 12:14 PM
PAC 12 says that the Longhorns can keep the network BUT they have to share their revenue equally with the other schools -- share and share alike. The BUT is the key to this. That $30M a year will not be split 16 ways if they go into the PAC 12! They will also have to abide by the same rules as the regional networks they are setting up. Will the Longhorns want to remain in the Big 12 with that option?

I'm good with that....maybe that will be enough to make them go indy or someplace besides where OU goes.

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 12:38 PM
I'm good with that....maybe that will be enough to make them go indy or someplace besides where OU goes.

I am hoping the same thing -- when I read that late last night, couldn't quit laughing as Scott makes sure everyone in his conference is treated equal on revenue. Shaggy Bevo was going nuts and saying that the network was awesome -- some were talking going independent since they had their own network and all I could think of was that it was a GREAT idea! Maybe Texas can stay in the Big 12 and reinstute the Southwest Conference plus the former Big 8 schools. Beebe still doesn't get it if he thinks getting the other schools to beg Texas to stay will make OU will stay. Think Beebe got his rejection slip when he left Boren off the conference call. Have to admit it has been hilarious to see 8 of 9 schools pledge support to the Big 12-3 but Boren refused.

virginiasooner
9/4/2011, 06:59 PM
texass can go rot in hell for all I care.

I'm with ya!

47Wins
9/4/2011, 07:17 PM
I hope that the PAC-however many, has the sense to keep their thumb on UT. No special considerations, no favored status, one team one vote.

oudivesherpa
9/4/2011, 08:10 PM
With all these alliances and what happens if school A moves to Conference B reminds me of the build up to WWI, with Texas playing the role of Austria.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2011, 09:19 PM
Blow this conference up already, it's done. At least with Nebraska there was one freaming team worth its salt in the North division. Right now the only meaningful competition here is OU vs. Texas. I, for one, welcome a new conference with great recruiting territory, an outstanding TV contract, and intriguing new rivalries. (Go on, tell me OU/USC on a regular basis won't get people watching coast to coast.)