PDA

View Full Version : The HAWAII Football Thread

hawaii 5-0
9/3/2011, 12:08 PM
OK, I'm a Sooner, born and bred. They'll always be my team. Since I've moved to Hawaii I've taken the Warriors as my hanai (adopted team).

Think of them as a good JC program. Their entire football budget is probably less that what the Sooners pay for practice jerseys. The cream of the Hawaii highschoolers are usually recruited by PAC 10 schools, often Washington, Oregon and Oregon St. Washington St. and Arizona also recruit here. Notre Dame took Hawaii's best player 3 years ago, Teo, who's their starting middle linebacker.

So Hawaii gets the leftovers and the scraps from the West Coast, marginal players with grade problems or run-ins with the law (see Colt Brennan) and develop them.

Hawaii's coach is Greg McMackin whose background was as Def. Coordinator at Texas Tech. He took over for June Jones, now at SMU who rebuilt the program from a winless season to a bowl playing team in just one year.

I like Hawaii football because they're fun to watch. They air it out. Remember when OU ran, ran, ran it all the time with the Wishbone? They threw it maybe twice a game to Tinker Owens. Sure they racked up points, they were that unstoppable, but there was an element missing. The Pass. Things finally came around with Bob Stoops bringing in Mike Leach as OC. Enter Josh Heupel and things got much more fun.

Hawaii with throw anytime. It doesn't matter what the down and distance is. The receivers run their patterns based on how the DBs cover them and the QB reads it and throws accordingly. It makes for an exciting game, tho the quality of the players can be questioned. However Hawaii's two best WRs are trying to make pro teams this year and Devone Bess is playing for the Dolphins.

Anyway, I'll add to this thread with updates as the season progresses.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/3/2011, 12:10 PM
Game 1 Colorado at Aloha Stadium.

ESPN2 tonight.

Colorado bolted to the PAC 10 this season, has a new HC. Colorado won last year in Boulder.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/4/2011, 12:56 AM
Hawaii wins 34-17 over Colorado. Nobody wants to lose to a WAC school. Just ask Auburn. Hawaii took it to lowly Colorado, leading 17-0 at halftime. Colorado came back in the 2nd half making it a 7 point game. After a Colorado TD, Hawaii Coach called a timeout to yell at his team. He wasn't thru when time was called so her burned another timeout as well. As luck would have it the 1st play after Hawaii got the kickoff QB Bryant Moniz was stripped and lost the fumble. Coach MacMackin was livid. Eventually Hawaii came back to life and turned away Colorado as well as putting the game away.

Notes.........Hawaii's young offensive line didn't protect QB Moniz very good. They better gel quick or it's gonna be a rough season for Moniz. He actually won the game by running the ball. The receivers, tho good, aren't as good as the two 1,000 yard receivers Pilares and Salas, lost to the NFL. The Defensive looked good but then.....they were playing Colorado, a 5-7 team last year with first year coach Embree, playing on the road.
Hawaii's punter looked much like his predecessor from Australia, Matt McBriar, now punting for Dallas in the NFL.

Next up......Warshington in Seattle. Be there, Aloha.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/4/2011, 12:59 AM
FYI, usually when Hawaii plays a REAL team they're the underdogs. Except when I root for OU I tend to root for the 'dogs. If you're looking for a decent 'dog team check out the Hawaii Warriors.

They've also got the best mascot.

5-0

Curly Bill
9/4/2011, 01:07 AM
I'm glad they beat Colorado.

hawaii 5-0
9/10/2011, 10:45 PM
Washington 40
Hawaii 32

Washington came out blazing and Hawaii's defense could never get it together as Washington rolled to an early 21-0 lead. Hawaii closed to to 31-26 but just couldn't keep the Huskies out of the endzone.

Next up......UNLV on the road.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/23/2011, 09:03 PM
UNLV 40

Hawaii 20

UNLV, after losing two in a row came out and outplayed Hawaii in all three areas. Hawaii completely gave it away in the 3rd quarter with multiple fumbles. Alas.

5-0

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 10:30 PM
I was there during the end of the Rainbow Warriors years and always enjoyed the way they played ball. I was pleased when June Jones became the coach and was disappointed when he left. I thought he had a good matching personality to be a Kama'aina. Perhaps he got island fever? I know his accident really messed him up.

The Rainbow Wahine are the ****.

hawaii 5-0
9/27/2011, 10:45 AM
I was there during the end of the Rainbow Warriors years and always enjoyed the way they played ball. I was pleased when June Jones became the coach and was disappointed when he left. I thought he had a good matching personality to be a Kama'aina. Perhaps he got island fever? I know his accident really messed him up.

The Rainbow Wahine are the ****.

Hawaii is basically a low budget school and athletic program. June Jones wanted much more money for the school and they wouldn't blink. SMU came along with a fat wallet and June hit the highway. Also he enjoys the challenge of building a program. He's turned around SMU pretty fast.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/28/2011, 09:47 PM
Bryant Moniz set a Hawaii record and tied an NCAA record by throwing seven touchdown passes in the first half as the Warriors routed UC Davis 56-14.

Next up......La Tech.

Interesting note. A coupla years ago Hawaii wanted to do their pre-game Haka on the field. They were instructed not to, so they did it up on a hillside above the stadium. The La Tech coach complained and the refs threw a 15 yard unsportsmanship penalty on Hawaii even before the game started, and before Hawaii was even on the field.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
10/2/2011, 11:33 AM
Bryant Moniz threw for 410 yards and four touchdowns to lead Hawaii to a 44-26 win over Louisiana Tech on Saturday night in the WAC opener for both teams.

Royce Pollard caught 10 passes for 216 yards and three touchdowns for Hawaii (3-2, 1-0). Moniz had passing scores of 27, 13, 9 and 6 yards.

Joey Iosefa rushed for 99 yards on 16 carries for Hawaii.

Hawaii trailed only in the first quarter, but was able to build a 21-point lead in the third quarter when Richard Torres returned an interception 49 yards for a touchdown. Tank Hopkins added another score when he returned a fumble 16 yards to give the Warriors a 41-13 lead.

The Bulldogs (1-4, 0-1) came no closer than 18 points.

Nick Isham threw for 305 yards, three touchdowns and had two interceptions. Quinton Patton caught seven of Isham's passes for 126 yards and a TD.

Next up.......at San Jose St. I think it'll be on ESPN late night.

5-0

NormanPride
10/11/2011, 04:34 PM
Hawaii is in D-1 so that teams on probation can have a "bowl game". ;)

I love their colors, and miss the "rainbow" part of the mascot. Nothing wrong with a rainbow.

jk the sooner fan
10/11/2011, 04:45 PM
I saw them play at West Point last year - they embarrassed themselves (my opinion) with the way they behaved at the end of the game

i dont have a great deal of respect for who they are but acknowledge they play with a lot of tenacity...they often do play above their talent level

badger
10/11/2011, 04:59 PM
They are actually getting on the tee vee Friday since they are one of the few gigs in town (only one, if i recall correctly)

hawaii 5-0
10/14/2011, 11:43 PM
In one of the sloppiest games in recent memory San Jose St. pulls an upset at home over Hawaii 28-27.

Each team had 6 turnovers. At one point San Jose had 5 turnovers in a row.

The replay should be a good educational tool on what not to do.

5-0

the-rover
10/15/2011, 12:14 AM
In one of the sloppiest games in recent memory San Jose St. pulls an upset at home over Hawaii 28-27.

Each team had 6 turnovers. At one point San Jose had 5 turnovers in a row.

The replay should be a good educational tool on what not to do.

5-0

Even with the turnovers and miscues it was a very entertaining game to watch.

jaux
10/20/2011, 02:46 PM
Dis tred is da kine

hawaii 5-0
10/29/2011, 11:19 PM
10-22-11

Hawaii runs and passes all over New Mexico State 45-34.

Hawaii's special teams still suck.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
10/29/2011, 11:24 PM
10-29-11

In Moscow, Idaho Hawaii's Kenton Chun's 35-yard field goal with 32 seconds to play gave Hawaii a 16-14 win over Idaho on Saturday.

Hawaii (5-3, 3-1 WAC) used strong defense to overcome a costly turnover and its struggling rushing game. The Warriors managed just 15 yards on the ground.

Trey Farquhar missed a 53-yard field-goal try with 8 seconds left for the Vandals (1-7, 0-4). Princeton McCarty ran for 99 yards for Idaho. He fumbled at the goal line but Matt Cleveland recovered in the end zone for the game's first score. Idaho's other touchdown came on Tracy Carter's 70-yard interception return in the third quarter, giving the Vandals a 14-13 lead that they held until the final minute.

Brian Moniz was 32 of 53 for 338 yards for the Warriors, including a 2-yard TD pass to Billy Ray Stutzmann in the second quarter. Hawaii's Royce Pollard caught 10 passes for 151 yards.

Hawaii improves (if ya wanna call it that) to 5-3 overall.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
11/6/2011, 12:24 PM
11-5-11

Utah State 35 Hawaii 31

Utah State's Robert Turbin scored on a 1-yard run with 14 seconds left to complete a second-half rally that gave Utah State a 35-31 win over Hawaii on Saturday night.

The Aggies (3-5, 1-2 WAC) trailed by 21 points at halftime, but scored the final 21 points to turn back the Warriors (5-4, 3-2).

Utah State totaled 433 yards of offense, with 280 coming in the second half. Turbin, who has scored at least one rushing touchdown in his last 13 games, finished with 96 yards on 15 carries and two touchdowns.

Hawaii held a 31-14 lead in the third quarter, but Utah State cut the deficit to 10 points with a 37-yard touchdown pass from Adam Kennedy to Chuck Jacobs. Kennedy's 71-yard scoring strike to Stanley Morrison early in the fourth quarter brought the Aggies within a field goal.

5-0

Lott's Bandana
11/6/2011, 12:35 PM
I've become a slight fan of the Aggies. Fun team to watch, they play all out and have a nice run package.

Yet, it seems they succeeded with the pass last night.

hawaii 5-0
11/13/2011, 01:07 PM
11-12-11

Nevada 42 Hawaii 28

Hawaii's QB Bryant Moniz broke his tibia midway thru the 1st quarter. Shane Austin replaced him and couldn't quite keep up with the Wolfpack scoring wise.
Hawaii also played without their best WR.
Hawaii's defense had no answer for the Nevada ground game who controlled the clock and the ball thru most of the game.

Hawaii needs a coupla wins to become bowl-elegible and I'm not sure it's a given that'll happen.

5-0