PDA

View Full Version : OU to the Big 10

possumfat
9/3/2011, 11:35 AM
11 team conference, one makes 12 (I can add), Nebraska relationship, academics, steong conference..............think it's a done deal!

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 11:37 AM
11 team conference, one makes 12 (I can add), Nebraska relationship, academics, steong conference..............think it's a done deal!
Nebraska was the 12th conference member, Penn State was the 11th.

Blue
9/3/2011, 11:37 AM
They actually have 12. We would be 13.

badger
9/3/2011, 11:38 AM

It's cool man... Beebe math says 12-2=12.

And Auburn looks lame at home, so I'm fine with any conference, regardless of number, that isn't this almightly pathetic SEC :D

possumfat
9/3/2011, 11:43 AM
We possum's are always the last to know..................BIG 10 makes perfect sense!

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2011, 11:44 AM
Conference math is newer than new math. The ACC, BigEast and SEC are more liberal artsy and avoid that hard math stuff.

badger
9/3/2011, 11:44 AM
Conspiracy theorists have already theorized that the "10" looks a lot like another number:
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/big10_logo_detail.gif

Whet
9/3/2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, the B1G is the way to go, if they will take us. I did read an article about OU getting a "highest" rating in research. Maybe laying groundwork for petitioning to enter the B1G?

yermom
9/3/2011, 11:54 AM
PAC road trips seem like they would be a lot more fun than B1G road trips

Berkeley, Stanford and co, seem respectable enough to me.

IndySooner
9/3/2011, 11:57 AM
PAC road trips seem like they would be a lot more fun than B1G road trips

Berkeley, Stanford and co, seem respectable enough to me.

Big 10 gamedays are a blast. Much better atmosphere fit.

Partial Qualifier
9/3/2011, 11:59 AM
Much, much hotter chicks in Pac10 country.

Whet
9/3/2011, 12:00 PM
I really don't thing the majority of OU fans share the same ideology, lifestyle, or football fanaticism with the PAC#. OU fans would fit better with SEC or B1G folks.

What do we really share with Berkeley, CA?

badger
9/3/2011, 12:01 PM
hotter weather.

Whet
9/3/2011, 12:01 PM

They may or may not be real "chicks!"

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 12:02 PM
For that criteria it is hard to beat the SEC or existing Big 12.

Soonermagik
9/3/2011, 12:04 PM
I don't think that will happen. Plus, who wants to play in those ice boxes?? PAC makes more sense to me. In fact, I think the PAC is already a done deal.. they are just finishing up the details.

Whet
9/3/2011, 12:06 PM
We would not be playing football games in mid-January and February! The weather is fine through mid-December. BTW, were you at the ice bowl B12 CCG in KC a few years back? That was a cold mofo!!

Landthief 1972
9/3/2011, 12:09 PM
The B1G is about the least sexy option on the table, IMHO. Some great tradition there, but who wants to drive to Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and Michigan? Granted, Lubbock, Manhattan and Stillwater aren't paradise, but they don't have snow/winter weather issues, so travel for the team and fans is going to be a bitch if we go B1G.

I just can't get excited about moving that direction.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2011, 12:14 PM
The B1G is about the least sexy option on the table, IMHO. Some great tradition there, but who wants to drive to Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and Michigan? Granted, Lubbock, Manhattan and Stillwater aren't paradise, but they don't have snow/winter weather issues, so travel for the team and fans is going to be a bitch if we go B1G.

I just can't get excited about moving that direction.

Least sexy, but highest dollar.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/3/2011, 12:14 PM
Well, conference wrestling championships would be about as good as a national title.

Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. Is OK State invited too?

hawaii 5-0
9/3/2011, 12:15 PM
I think playing in the West Division of the SEC makes the most sense but I can live with us going to the PAC 10.

I really can't see OU going the Big 10 route.

5-0

trey
9/3/2011, 12:19 PM

lol

you may want to rethink that "i can add" thing

SoonerBorn85
9/3/2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?157249-End-of-the-BIG-XII-THREAD-FOR-ALL-REALIGNMENT-DISCUSSION

Jacie
9/3/2011, 12:46 PM
Big 10 and Pac 10 have that tie-in with the Rose Bowl going for em, which trumps the Sugar Bowl . . .

BudSooner
9/3/2011, 12:49 PM
You can't be ****ing serious? bIG10? Oh **** that ****.

LiveLaughLove
9/3/2011, 01:55 PM
I'd rather join the ACC than the Big 10-11-12. My interest in going to the rust belt to play football is less than zero.

badger
9/3/2011, 01:59 PM
The Big Ten is filled with states that built themselves up on the auto industry and manufacturing. Now, their populations are moving south and so are their jobs. Perhaps its time the Big Ten look further south for expansion for those reasons.

silverwheels
9/3/2011, 02:44 PM
Least sexy, but highest dollar.

Maybe. The Pac-12 network deal is worth a ton of money, and would presumably be worth more if OU, Texas, and two others are added.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/3/2011, 03:02 PM
I don't think that will happen. Plus, who wants to play in those ice boxes?? PAC makes more sense to me. In fact, I think the PAC is already a done deal.. they are just finishing up the details.I think a move to the big 10+2 would be a disaster for OU's recruiting. Who wants to even attend schoo/livel in the frost/rust belt?

ashley
9/3/2011, 03:10 PM
The girls in the Big look like Margaret Thacher.

Keller Sooner
9/3/2011, 03:18 PM
Wasn't Janet Reno a BiG cheer leader? :beguiled:

GottaHavePride
9/3/2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe. The Pac-12 network deal is worth a ton of money, and would presumably be worth more if OU, Texas, and two others are added.

Possibly, but Big 10 (or B1G) has THE best TV network deal and the highest academic prestige outside of the Ivy League.

Again, it's not just about football. If you're expecting Boren to make a decision based solely on football, he would've jumped to the SEC last year.

If he turned down the PAC-12 and SEC last year, I seriously doubt he'd go for them this year. My bet is B1G becoming B16.

silverwheels
9/3/2011, 03:24 PM
He didn't turn down the Pac-12. That's his preferred destination.

Sooner_Tuf
9/3/2011, 03:25 PM
Wasn't Janet Reno a BiG cheer leader? :beguiled:
Linebacker

LiveLaughLove
9/3/2011, 03:27 PM
Possibly, but Big 10 (or B1G) has THE best TV network deal and the highest academic prestige outside of the Ivy League.

Again, it's not just about football. If you're expecting Boren to make a decision based solely on football, he would've jumped to the SEC last year.

If he turned down the PAC-12 and SEC last year, I seriously doubt he'd go for them this year. My bet is B1G becoming B16.

You may be right, but I'm praying you are wrong. The Big 10-11-12 would be, by far, exceeding none, beyond the wildest, totally unimaginably bad choice of all of those ahead of us.

Cold. Check.

Boring style. Check.

No cultural equity. Check.

No recruiting base for OU. Check.

I shudder at the very thought that this can even be a possibility. Thanks for cold showering my opening day festivities. :cower:

silverwheels
9/3/2011, 03:34 PM
Boren would probably like to go to the B1G, but only if a move to the Pac-12 falls through. Going north instead of west likely means leaving OSU behind, so he'd rather go west.

delhalew
9/3/2011, 03:39 PM

Are we here to Chase tail, or play football...nevermind.

Shakadoodoo
9/3/2011, 04:04 PM
I am personally not a fan of the Big 10 but they are one of the most, if not the most well rounded when it comes to ALL sports. The big 10 is one hell of a wrestling conference. So if they are looking for the best fit for OU for all sports and not just football - Big 10 is a good direction to go.

And people keep talking about the Pac 10 would be better trips. If you have the money to fly to Cali, Oregon, ect... every weekend - you can afford to do that regardless - you must be "balling" in these bad economic times. 24 hour+ drive for just about evryone in the conference - That SUCKS!

I would personally rather stay in our region but since the Big 12 administration is acting like a bunch of B###### - I guess we have to roll with the punches.

lubbocksooner
9/3/2011, 04:11 PM
Boring style. Check.

With OU in the conference they would have to change or just get run over probably. Maybe not a complete turnaround but it would change.

silverwheels
9/3/2011, 04:12 PM
Pac-12 has the most national titles, I think. Stanford, UCLA, and USC especially rake them in every year in sports that 10 people care about.

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 04:13 PM
I am personally not a fan of the Big 10 but they are one of the most, if not the most well rounded when it comes to ALL sports. The big 10 is one hell of a wrestling conference. So if they are looking for the best fit for OU for all sports and not just football - Big 10 is a good direction to go.

And people keep talking about the Pac 10 would be better trips. If you have the money to fly to Cali, Oregon, ect... every weekend - you can afford to do that regardless - you must be "balling" in these bad economic times. 24 hour+ drive for just about evryone in the conference - That SUCKS!

I would personally rather stay in our region but since the Big 12 administration is acting like a bunch of B###### - I guess we have to roll with the punches.

You're fist paragraph, I agree but we'd have to abandon OSU and I don't think that would ever happen.

Second paragraph, there will only be one west coast trip per year... not every week like you put it. Do you have a problem with our FSU game this year?

Third paragraph, we really are essentially staying in our region compared to other reasonable options.

Shakadoodoo
9/3/2011, 04:30 PM
I don't have a problem with the FSU game. I can't wait to watch it on TV since I can not afford to go. And I am thinking about all sports. not just football. Basketball. baseball. wrestling, gymnastics, softball, volleyball, ect.... That is more than one trip to the west coast every year. I wresteled at OU so I like participating in other sports than just Football. And if they play everyone in the conference twice - that is a lot of trips to the west coast.

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 05:03 PM
I don't have a problem with the FSU game. I can't wait to watch it on TV since I can not afford to go. And I am thinking about all sports. not just football. Basketball. baseball. wrestling, gymnastics, softball, volleyball, ect.... That is more than one trip to the west coast every year. I wresteled at OU so I like participating in other sports than just Football. And if they play everyone in the conference twice - that is a lot of trips to the west coast.

If travel is a concern for the other sports, they'll divide those into the same divisions that football are in and limit interdivisional play... that's an easy fix.

As for the fan travel, OU's always typically had a long distance game. We'll still have local ones you can drive to just like we have local ones this year. In fact, the Pac 16 would be more local than any other option available (Big 12 is no longer an option).

the-rover
9/3/2011, 05:09 PM
I could also see men and womens basketball teams traveling together and playing day/night doubleheaders.

Shakadoodoo
9/3/2011, 05:17 PM
I hope your right - in any case, my love for the Sooners is "inelastic" so I will adjust to whatever goes down!

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 05:20 PM
I hope your right - in any case, my love for the Sooners is "inelastic" so I will adjust to whatever goes down!

It's not really a matter of being right. Just that there's an easy fix if 'they' see it as a problem. Since there's never been a conference like this, I don't know how 'they' are going to see it though. I'm sure there's going to be some growing pains as they try to figure out what is best.

Shakadoodoo
9/3/2011, 05:25 PM
I got you. I know that they want us really bad so I am sure they would do what it takes to make everyone happy. One thing I see as a problem if Texas comes along with us is the battle that will be created between the politics of Texas and the politics of California - that is going to be crazy!

MichiganSooner
9/3/2011, 06:49 PM
The Big 10 plays excellent hockey. We could take our hockey club to full varsity status. Would need to come up with a sport for the women-title 9.

oumaddawg
9/4/2011, 10:32 AM
I like the idea of moving to the Big-10 alot better than the Pac-12. The Pac-12 doesn't excite me at all...

BudSooner
9/4/2011, 10:43 AM
The girls in the Big look like Margaret Thacher.You make that sound like a bad thing. :D

I like the idea of moving to the Big-10 alot better than the Pac-12. The Pac-12 doesn't excite me at all...If for only a few reasons, to make the Bugeaters life miserable again...that respect between the two teams went out the window last summer.
And to travel up to Michigan/Ohio State and beat the ever loving **** out of 'em in their own house. **** YEAH!

SanJoaquinSooner
9/4/2011, 11:13 AM

then you know the wrestling team did a west coast trip almost every year.

MichiganSooner
9/4/2011, 11:26 AM
" there will only be one west coast trip per year... not every week like you put it."

I realize we would not have a west coast trip every week but can not figure out how there would only be one west coast trip per year. Included in the conference are USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal-Berkley, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State.
Are we only going to play one of these teams at their stadium each season? Please explain.

MeMyself&Me
9/4/2011, 11:52 AM
" there will only be one west coast trip per year... not every week like you put it."

I realize we would not have a west coast trip every week but can not figure out how there would only be one west coast trip per year. Included in the conference are USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal-Berkley, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State.
Are we only going to play one of these teams at their stadium each season? Please explain.

Most likely scenario has the original Pac-8 in a division by them selves and the rest in an eastern division with two cross divisional games, one home and one away. That makes for one west coast trip per year.

oudivesherpa
9/4/2011, 12:04 PM
I love BIG 10 Chicks. In Iowa (as compared to Nebraska) you can actually see their ankles. D:

Shakadoodoo
9/4/2011, 12:11 PM
then you know the wrestling team did a west coast trip almost every year.

We wrestled Fresno State, Cal Poly and Bakersfield every other year because the quad would be at OU every other year. We would wrestle Arizona State when we went to the Las Vegas Open every year - but those are the only trips we took to the west coast - 1 or maybe two times a year. You have to wrestle everyone in your conference twice. Arizona State, Stanford, Oregon State, Cal Poly, Boise State, Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Bakersfield - (those other teams are in the Pac 12 because only 3 true members have teams) Now if we wrestle each team at home twice - that is 7 trips to the west coast. I am not sure if they still go to the Las Vegas open or not but if they did I am sure they would combine it with one of those trips but in any case...... That is a lot more than "a" trip to the west coast every year.

Just about every school in the Big 10 has a wrestling team - and they have the same love and tradition for wrestling as OU, OSU and Iowa State - Can't say that for the pac 12 - Arizona state has been a force for a long time - Boise is just coming on - But neither are no where close to the tradition Oklahoma Wrestling has!