PDA

View Full Version : Unmentioned thought about conference realignment

OUinFLA
9/3/2011, 10:21 AM
Well, I think is has been unmentioned.

Pac-16, Big-10+ have the Rose Bowl all to themselves most years.

SEC has the Sugar all to themselves most years.

Assuming we plan on winning a conference title or two in the future, would you rather play New Year's football in California or New Orleans.

Also, I would guess a Jerry World showdown would be tied into a Pac move.

Me................I'd hate to go to New Orleans.
And, Im sick of the Fiesta.

So, where would you rather be in January?
Conference allignment could be a determining factor.

Dan Thompson
9/3/2011, 10:26 AM
I look forward to the day that the LA Times has to print OU's game info every Sunday, as well as the chance to beat UO and USC.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 10:31 AM
I had heard it reported that in order to persuade Whorn and OU to come to PAC that they offered to rotate the conference championship game between Jerryworld and Rose.

I'd bet that offer included January's rotation too.

BudSooner
9/3/2011, 10:31 AM
I look forward to the day that the LA Times has to print OU's game info every Sunday, as well as the chance to beat UO and USC.http://simplyzesty.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/06/facebook-like-buton.png

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 10:34 AM
Rose Bowl is part of the attraction to the Pac and B1G for me. I hate the Fiesta and have never revered the Sugar as much as the Rose or Orange.

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 10:36 AM
I had heard it reported that in order to persuade Whorn and OU to come to PAC that they offered to rotate the conference championship game between Jerryworld and Rose.

I'd bet that offer included January's rotation too.

I can see them rotating the conference championship game but no way in hell the left coasters are giving up their Rose Bowl for the Cotton Bowl in January.

trey
9/3/2011, 10:40 AM
I look forward to the day that the LA Times has to print OU's game info every Sunday, as well as the chance to beat UO and USC.

yep. also, how great would an OU-Nebraska Rose Bowl be?

Sooner5030
9/3/2011, 10:46 AM
Too many programs will be left out if we go to 4x16 supers. Lotsa upset folks around the country. No Conference wants to be the first to create that mess. When all the interested stakeholders actually run some simulations and think of the 2nd and 3rd order effects the desire to expand will subside....at least a little.

GOodbye to great OOC games. Goodbye to exciting mid major games on odd nights. Hello to watching Ole Miss vs. Kentucky, MSU vs. Minn. :mad:

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 10:49 AM
Too many programs will be left out if we go to 4x16 supers. Lotsa upset folks around the country. No Conference wants to be the first to create that mess. When all the interested stakeholders actually run some simulations and think of the 2nd and 3rd order effects the desire to expand will subside....at least a little.

GOodbye to great OOC games. Goodbye to exciting mid major games on odd nights. Hello to watching Ole Miss vs. Kentucky, MSU vs. Minn. :mad:

UM, perhaps you are missing what is actually going on

Id say BIG, PAC and SEC are RACING to be the first to put 16 together

Sooner5030
9/3/2011, 10:56 AM
UM, perhaps you are missing what is actually going on

Id say BIG, PAC and SEC are RACING to be the first to put 16 together

No one is racing....IMO. Most would move to supers only out of the need to compete if one of the others goes to 16. There is more hesitation than what is being displayed on the BBS by all of us looking for greener pastures.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 11:05 AM
No one is racing....IMO. Most would move to supers only out of the need to compete if one of the others goes to 16. There is more hesitation than what is being displayed on the BBS by all of us looking for greener pastures.

I see what you mean. ONe way to look a it is that its like that scene in that stupid movie Tombstone where everyone is at the OK Corral with their fingers tickling the handle of their gun...nobody wants to do this...but they know someone is gonna fire

BUT my point is that they are racing to get the best group of 16 because they know its inevitable. To your point they will do it out of a need to compete....I believe they already see a need to compete and not be the conference that has to pick up the leftover schools when the others grabbed the money schools.

yermom
9/3/2011, 11:31 AM
the talk last time was that they wouldn't have a championship game anymore and the West winner would play in the Rose and the East winner would play in the Fiesta, or maybe Cotton it seems

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 11:40 AM
the talk last time was that they wouldn't have a championship game anymore and the West winner would play in the Rose and the East winner would play in the Fiesta, or maybe Cotton it seems

I think that was speculation from bloggers and such. I can't imagine the BCS allotting two auto bids to one conference.

yermom
9/3/2011, 11:48 AM
well, they would be down one...

Jack T.
9/3/2011, 11:59 AM
Hmm. That would mean that in all likelyhood, we wouldn't have to play a national championship game in the opponent's stadium. . .see also: LSU in New Orleans, Florida in Miami, Florida State in Miami.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2011, 12:08 PM

If they go to four 16-team superconferences, there are four BCS games - two teams per superconference. Smaller schools need not apply.

(Which would probably generate lawsuits.)

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 12:10 PM
I think the Big 12 BCS-AQ would end up becoming an "at large" bid to placate the non-AQ conferences but 9 times out of 10 the bid would go to a BCS conference at large school.

Sooner_Tuf
9/3/2011, 12:18 PM
yep. also, how great would an OU-Nebraska Rose Bowl be?

Be pretty great. I wouldn't miss it.

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 12:35 PM

No they wouldn't. Big 12 will survive if for nothing else a place for the teams that are left behind to collect on exit fees.

I think the Big 12 BCS-AQ would end up becoming an "at large" bid to placate the non-AQ conferences but 9 times out of 10 the bid would go to a BCS conference at large school.

Since they didn't take the auto bid away from the Big East when Miami and co left, they won't take it away from the Big 12 either.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2011, 12:42 PM
Another thought:

Someone asked a couple of days ago why we were being so nice and letting NU, CU, and A&M have reduced exit fees instead of sticking it to them.

Answer: to set a precedent for when WE jump.

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 12:43 PM
Since they didn't take the auto bid away from the Big East when Miami and co left, they won't take it away from the Big 12 either.
I was talking about if the Big 12 went away entirely, like if there was a four team exodus to the Pac. If Texas tried to cobble together a conference without OU, OSU and others, I could see it possibly being pulled. Not likely but possible.

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 12:51 PM
I was talking about if the Big 12 went away entirely, like if there was a four team exodus to the Pac. If Texas tried to cobble together a conference without OU, OSU and others, I could see it possibly being pulled. Not likely but possible.

I think they need a supermajority vote to dissolve the conference and Mizzou, aTm, Tech, Texas, OU, and OSU I don't think would be enough. I don't think 6 would be enough. Perhaps if Kansas had a landing spot and could vote to make it happen. I base the supermajority idea on the notion that it was reported last year that there needed to be 9 members vote to dissolve the Big 12 when there was 12 program.

Sooner Cal
9/3/2011, 01:04 PM

It's called survival of the fittest (evolution for those of you who went to school).

If a team can't afford to compete, they need to drop down to a lower division. Ultimately there will be only 64 D1 teams.