PDA

View Full Version : The SEC vs. Pac 12

jthomasou78
9/2/2011, 09:40 PM
So I haven't followed all the conference realignment stuff super closely so I have a few questions maybe someone can answer.

Why does the SEC not want OU/why do they want A&M?

Or does the SEC want us, but we don't want to go?

Why would we go to the Pac 12 over going to the SEC?

MeMyself&Me
9/2/2011, 09:44 PM
So I haven't followed all the conference realignment stuff super closely so I have a few questions maybe someone can answer.

Why does the SEC not want OU/why do they want A&M?

Or does the SEC want us, but we don't want to go?

Why would we go to the Pac 12 over going to the SEC?

That's a long conversation. To put it simply, SEC wants OU but not OSU. Texas wants no part of SEC... EVAR (and maybe OU doesn't either). It's best for OU to keep Texas and OSU in conference. Pac would take Texas, OU, and OSU. SEC would take aTm to gain in Texas TV market and Texas recruiting.

Boomer.....
9/2/2011, 09:47 PM
The SEC would take us, but its not sure if we will go there. It's also not sure if they would allow us to bring teams (OSU) with us. The SEC is a much better fit as far as football, tradition, people, etc. go.

The PAC is an easier way to go because we could drag OSU, sand aggy, and uterus with us. It would be a much easier conference to compete in and win. I feel it is the way we are leaning.

Sooner5030
9/2/2011, 09:47 PM
the PAC advantage is keeping OSU/UT in the same conference. I'd rather salvage the BIG12-x as long as it can keep AQ status. IF forced I vote PAC.

jthomasou78
9/2/2011, 09:49 PM
So do OU officials want to take OSU with us. Or is it a board of regents political thing

jthomasou78
9/2/2011, 09:50 PM
I kind of see Texas angling to go independent. If this Longhorn network thing is succesful they probably will not need a conference.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/2/2011, 09:51 PM
aTm = consolation prize and access to Texas recruits. They really want the Longhorns.

They do want OU more than anyone other than Texas.

But OU has openly said they have great concerns about SEC recruiting ethics. OU has worked vary hard to get away from its more sordid past. No reason to climb back into the mud pit.

And OU has been making great strides under Boren to elevate its academic cache. No conference relationships in the SEC would contribute to that outside Vandy, with the possible exception of Florida.

In my mind these two are reason enough. My impression is most agree.

Read the sticky post above. It covers this and more.

Boomer.....
9/2/2011, 09:51 PM
Sort of both.

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 10:04 PM
That's a long conversation. To put it simply, SEC wants OU but not OSU. Texas wants no part of SEC... EVAR (and maybe OU doesn't either). It's best for OU to keep Texas and OSU in conference. Pac would take Texas, OU, and OSU. SEC would take aTm to gain in Texas TV market and Texas recruiting.

aTm = consolation prize and access to Texas recruits. They really want the Longhorns.

They do want OU more than anyone other than Texas.

But OU has openly said they have great concerns about SEC recruiting ethics. OU has worked vary hard to get away from its more sordid past. No reason to climb back into the mud pit.

And OU has been making great strides under Boren to elevate its academic cache. No conference relationships in the SEC would contribute to that outside Vandy, with the possible exception of Florida.

In my mind these two are reason enough. My impression is most agree.

Read the sticky post above. It covers this and more.

Both of these.

soonertravis
9/2/2011, 10:10 PM
Have read that OU is Slive's #1 target. We get to be choosey.

badger
9/2/2011, 10:13 PM
Goodbye big 12. We tried our best to keep u together.

I would love it if we could keep some regional teams together without dan beebe anywhere nearby. Whether thats pac or sec, dont care

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 10:14 PM
That's the great thing about the probable dissolution of the Big 12: Beebe will most likely be out of a job.

SoonerMom2
9/2/2011, 10:39 PM
Will be very happy to see Beebe in the unemployment line! Maybe someone in the Dallas area can get a picture of him. Beebe may be the absolute worst ever to head a conference.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/2/2011, 10:43 PM
If your degree is from OU, you might like it to affiliate itself with likes of Stanford, UCLA, USC, and Berkeley.

jthomasou78
9/2/2011, 10:58 PM
My degree is from OU and I have never associated my degree with any other school from the Big 12/8. I never saw how the schools you play sports against relates to the quality of your education

Penguin
9/2/2011, 11:09 PM
If your degree is from OU, you might like it to affiliate itself with likes of Stanford, UCLA, USC, and Berkeley.

Just like Arizona State graduates? ;)

soonerboomer93
9/2/2011, 11:34 PM
Just like Oregon State graduates? ;)

fify

(atleast arizona state has some fuggin hawt chica's)

SoonerMom2
9/2/2011, 11:43 PM
Prefer the PAC 12, but as long as Beebe is left behind, I am to the stage I don't care which conference we go to. Beebe is the biggest dunce I have ever seen to head a major conference. Maybe if he wasn't so tied to Texas he could what is happening. Doing a conference call without OU, UT, and A&M today may say it all. Why leave out OU if OU is staying in the Big 12. Maybe we are going to SEC and leaving the rest to fend for themselves. He sounded like from what I read that he is doing what is best for OU period. Maybe Pickens is now calling the shots -- if that is the case OU is gone. Pickens made his choices known today who he wants and you can bet that didn't sit well with Boren.

TX Legislature is not going to touch this one with a 10 foot pole.