PDA

View Full Version : Boren speaks...

trwxxa
9/2/2011, 06:49 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2011/09/02/boren-on-big-12-ous-future-in-it-or-out/

SoonerMom2
9/2/2011, 10:51 PM
This was quite an interview and looks like the decision is around the corner. Boren is definitely looking out for the best for Oklahoma -- obviously Nebraska leaving has made a huge difference followed by A&M which it looks like Boren tried hard to convince to stay. I am not sure we are tied to anyone in this conference the way it looks.

GottaHavePride
9/2/2011, 11:03 PM
OK, if that's actually from Boren

1. Sounds like Boren thinks A&M is definitely gone.
2. Sounds like Pac-12 may not be the only league thinking about adding Oklahoma.

Boomer.....
9/2/2011, 11:07 PM
Boren said there are multiple conferences wanting Oklahoma. I take this to mean at least PAC and SEC. I really see us bringing 3 to the PAC.

BASSooner
9/2/2011, 11:29 PM
Boren said there are multiple conferences wanting Oklahoma. I take this to mean at least PAC and SEC. I really see us bringing 3 to the PAC.
osu and tech are guaranteed. texas if the LHN doesn't cause a problem (doubt it) who else?

Flagstaffsooner
9/2/2011, 11:39 PM
Leave * and osu in the Big 7.

Sooner_Tuf
9/3/2011, 01:55 AM
Leave * and osu in the Big 7.

This really is the best option. If they come on their own dime that is fine but I don't want OU to be joined with either of them contractually.

Both * and osu are in the situation they are in because of decisions they have made in the past. We don't need to share the burden of their mistakes just like we don't get to share their successes. We should seek out our own successes for ourselves.

silverwheels
9/3/2011, 02:02 AM
Like it or not, OU and Texas will do everything they can to remain together, while OU will try to keep OSU in tow. If all 3 and Texas Tech or Kansas get into the Pac-16, it shouldn't be a problem.

WA. Sooner
9/3/2011, 03:42 AM
bring Kansas. march madness brings alot of money

IronHorseSooner
9/3/2011, 07:57 AM
I agree, take Kansas over the tortilla tossers! Kansas also brings the KC market to the PAC-12, TTech brings a bunch of armadillos from West Texas.

ouflak
9/3/2011, 08:39 AM
Like it or not, OU and Texas will do everything they can to remain together,

I agree with this and I like it. Our rivalry is one of the best, if not the best, in college football. And it's in both our best interests to keep our rivalry going. However that has absolutely NOTHING to do with remaining in the same conference, which history has more than well shown is not necessary for our rivalry or any other significant rivalry (Georgia/Georgia Tech, FSU/Florida, Clemson/South Carolina, etc...) to continue on unabated.

....while OU will try to keep OSU in tow. If all 3 and Texas Tech or Kansas get into the Pac-16, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm just not convinced we really need to care about any other school getting into whatever conference. If it is a positive bargaining chip, then ok. Otherwise, they are big kids, they can take care of themselves. Personally, I believe Kansas is a shoe-into the Big East with its basketball program. It's hard to imagine they are worried at all, unless they are concerned about the health and future of the Big East itself, which is reasonable.

SwooshOU
9/3/2011, 08:46 AM
If I had my druthers, I'd love to see OU in the SEC with A&M. Add a couple teams to the SEC East... that'd be fun.

Of course, when Boren specifically mentions academics as well, it does make me think PAC or B1G. B1G would revive OU/Nebraska.

PAC doesn't make sense to me.

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 08:48 AM
I agree with this and I like it. Our rivalry is one of the best, if not the best, in college football. And it's in both our best interests to keep our rivalry going. However that has absolutely NOTHING to do with remaining in the same conference, which history has more than well shown is not necessary for our rivalry or any other significant rivalry (Georgia/Georgia Tech, FSU/Florida, Clemson/South Carolina, etc...) to continue on unabated.

As long as there are only 3 OOC games, we need Texas and OSU in conference if at all possible. When Texas was a non-con game, we had 4 OOC games and OSU was in conference. Forcing OU to play those games as non-conference games, and forgo the national marquee games OU has traditionally played would regionalize OU more than it traditionally has done and it deminishes it's national brand.

Getting them to come with us is not the be all end all but it is important.

MeMyself&Me
9/3/2011, 08:53 AM
Reading Boren's comments and comparing that with what was said by some others the past few days makes me think he may be making a move for the B1G. From comments from Tech's chancellor and Pickens makes me think that whatever is happening doesn't involve Tech or OSU. The fact that the Big 12 conference call didn't include Texas either makes me think that Texas is involved in whatever is going on. I doubt that Texas would go to the Pac without Tech and I thought the plus of considering the Pac was bringing OSU but if you're going to say neither of those are moving and OU and Texas are, I'd have to say it's the B1G is the most likely result... that or there is something to the "forming a new conference" statements made a few weeks ago.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2011, 09:39 AM
Hmmm. An OU to B1G and Texas to PAC-X could be intriguing.

Can you say OU/Texas Rose Bowl?

MountainOkie
9/3/2011, 09:43 AM
"It's been consuming my life the last few days, but it's a fascinating challenge and we're just in the search for what's best for the university."

The exact right attitude to take. Great President.

Widescreen
9/3/2011, 09:49 AM
When someone says something is consuming their life it usually indicates they want it to end soon. I like it.

SoonerMom2
9/3/2011, 09:56 AM
Reading Boren's comments and comparing that with what was said by some others the past few days makes me think he may be making a move for the B1G. From comments from Tech's chancellor and Pickens makes me think that whatever is happening doesn't involve Tech or OSU. The fact that the Big 12 conference call didn't include Texas either makes me think that Texas is involved in whatever is going on.

TX has been rumored for the B1G for years and reuniting OU with NE the way Boren talked about NE would be big. Our research dollars are huge now compared to earlier and by all accounts the B1G would take us but not OSU. Would bet that the B1G schools would nominate OU to the AAU and it would be a slam dunk. Boren also talked about how we are recognized nationwide.

Just makes sense with leaving OU and TX out of the conference call. The strange part is telling schools to contact TX to stay like OU has already made the decision to leave. Should be an interesting few days and have to wonder if the few days comment was to allow TX to make a decision. B1G was not my choice but I would love to leave some schools behind so I will take it. You could tell that Boren really hated NE leaving by his comments. AAU has been a goal of his since he became President and the Big 10 is certainly a stable conference.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 10:07 AM
Either PAC or BIG would be fun IMO. Both would mean a lot for the University's Academic Standards, and both would introduce some really cool new rivalries.
I do think we are somewhat joined at the hip with Whorn, which is fine with me. OU/TX make for a huge win if any conference could get them in a package. I believe thats a goal of Boren to keep that together, but he's smart enough to play his cards as if we dont NEED them to do what we want to do

TMcGee86
9/3/2011, 10:13 AM
Hmmm. An OU to B1G and Texas to PAC-X could be intriguing.

Can you say OU/Texas Rose Bowl?

I don't like the thought of selling recruits on playing in Michigan/Ohio/Wisconsin/Iowa in November, while A&M is selling Florida/Georgia/Alabama, and Texas is selling California/Arizona.

Not to mention that only gives us one guaranteed game in the state of Texas assuming we keep the RRS.

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 10:13 AM
At this point I don't care if it is the SEC, Pac or Big Ten, I just want it over with. Let's join a new conference and move on to the future.

TMcGee86
9/3/2011, 10:18 AM
I agree. I'm all for the Pac West but at this point, I say if Texas balks we say F' em and head to the SEC with OSU and Mizzou. The SEC wouldn't need to go east at that point, the new SEC West would be OU, OSU, Arky, Mizzou, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss St.

I have no love for OSU and Mizzou but that makes a much more palatable division to me, as opposed to just OU going and Bama and Auburn being in the division.

Or hell, if anythings on the table and we can sever ties with aggy, if SEC wants new states for every team, bring Kansas instead.

Gives four new states, adds instant basketball cred to a bad bball conference, and makes the division even more palatable.

AlboSooner
9/3/2011, 10:32 AM
Boren is a great politician. He knows how to use words, and when to use them. I have great faith in the godfather (boren), the consigliere (JC), and a young Michael corleone (Stoops).

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 10:35 AM
At this point I don't care if it is the SEC, Pac or Big Ten, I just want it over with. Let's join a new conference and move on to the future.

I Dunno...I obviously want to know whats going to happen, but considering we already know we'll be in a good place no matter what, I LOVE all the chaos and news. I thinks it a blast to follow all tweets and constantly check the news to see who said what. LOVE LOVE LOVE ME SOME COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Sooner_Tuf
9/3/2011, 10:36 AM
It would be nice to continue the Texas game if we don't end up in the same conference but if the sixteen team conferences really happen I would guess we won't play them every year. I don't care about playing osu. If we don't drag them along they will end up in Conference USA or somewhere similar.

I don't think we are going to the Big 10. Penn State was skeptical taking Nebraska and they hate OU. They will never vote yes for us. There is absolutely no miracle that would get osu in there either.

I would guess the PAC is most likely for us. I'm not sure they take Texas unless Texas ****cans the LHN. Texas has painted themselves into a corner with the LHN. The PAC isn't likely to allow it and the SEC has absolutely said no way.

By now most of the Conferences have seen the true Texas. While they may want the potential revenue stream Texas can produce they see how Texas plays with others and none of them are going to tolerate that. Texas couldn't make a deal with the PAC last year before the LHN. The original PAC-6 members have a little more stroke than the newer members and Texas won't agree to that.

Texas thinks the are going to be calling the shots but it doesn't look like the rest of the nation is as impressed with them as they think they are. Dodds has proven to be a great money maker but a poor neighbor. I'm going to laugh if Texas ends up Indy. If they do their non-revenue producing sports will end up wherever Baylor lands, Conference USA or maybe the Mountain West.

OU just needs to take care of OU right now and I suspect that is what Boren is doing.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2011, 10:54 AM
Boren's thinking more than just football. And anywhere in the south in September is just as big a disadvantage as Michigan in November.

SEC is a land of seriously shady recruiting, and has been for years. Their academic rep is probably not even as good as the Big 12. I'm sure the SEC wants OU, but I'm betting that to Boren this is a PAC-X / B1G choice.

ouwasp
9/3/2011, 11:08 AM
I Dunno...I obviously want to know whats going to happen, but considering we already know we'll be in a good place no matter what, I LOVE all the chaos and news. I thinks it a blast to follow all tweets and constantly check the news to see who said what. LOVE LOVE LOVE ME SOME COLLEGE FOOTBALL

We can agree on the love of college fb. But I'm ready for this other bull**** to be done with. In this day and age, imo OU needs to be in a league with a ccg. Beebe has really let us down by not being more proactive.

Chaos is meant for the wanna-bes like C-USA. It's damned embarassing for the Big XII to be in perpetual turmoil.