PDA

View Full Version : How does Tulsa have a chance or at least keep it close?

badger
9/2/2011, 01:37 PM
Thoughts?

If they could contain our receivers and force us to run, they might limit our scoring... but I don't think their defensive backs are well matched with our receivers. If our receivers have the worst day of their life and we have to rely on running... hmmm...

On offense, they are missing their most important player for certain reasons (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110902_94_B5_CUTLIN534663). GJ Kinne is not a slouch of a quarterback, but I'm sure that this is not something they were planning for up till about a week ago when that all went down.

(in a nutshell, their AA candidate and top receiver is accused of embezzlement, because his girlfriend working at Dillards apparently rang up several thousand in merchandise, then charged his credit card a few dollars over the course of two purchases)

On top of all of that, they have a new coach... a high school coach. Eep.

Thoughts?

hawaii 5-0
9/2/2011, 01:40 PM
Without getting too detailed, I think it'll be a blowout and all Sooner fans will go home happy.

5-0

8timechamps
9/2/2011, 01:43 PM
I see it being much like last year's Utah State game for the first half (and I hope I am wrong), but the only way they keep it close is if we keep them in the game. Their defense was pathetic last year, and I don't see it being tons better this year. The only thing they can do is try to match us score-for-score, and since they have nowhere near the depth or talent we do, the second half will be ugly for them.

Mad Dog Madsen
9/2/2011, 01:44 PM
No Damaris Johnson = Blowout

With him, they could have at least scored 3 TD's. TU may get shutout now. :apthy:

Lawton4Life
9/2/2011, 01:47 PM
steriods

KantoSooner
9/2/2011, 01:47 PM
How do they stay in it? Wellllll, if our dbs turn out to have been waaaaay over hyped and Kinne throws slant patterns all day long.

Do I think this happens? No. Is it about the only way they stay in it? Yes.

badger
9/2/2011, 01:50 PM
The Damaris Johnson case is just sad. He was a second-team All American last year and I'm pretty sure was preseason AA this year, projected to be one of the top returners and receivers in the country, not just C-USA.

And now that's all out the window, because of...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20110901_damaraisjohn080808080801.jpg

Innocent till proven guilty, but suspended till proven innocent.

Here's hoping this was just a big misunderstanding in time for TU to put half a hundred on OSU and/or BSU.

Crimsontothecore
9/2/2011, 01:52 PM
I give TU a little more credit. I see them as far better than Utah St. last year. This team did win at Notre Dame and beat Hawaii on the island. Their offense was good last year but losing Johnson will be a big blow. I'm saying it will be tight going into halftime but we widen the gap late. This TU team is no doormat.

BigTip
9/2/2011, 01:53 PM
How can they keep it close?

-Clock management, fewer plays
-Forfeit and take a 0-0 loss.
-Take a hostage, phone in "keep it close" demands
-Get incredibly lucky that our first string all twist ankles leaving locker room. Scratch that. It wouldn't help anyway.

Seriously, I don't see it. Four touchdown lock.

VA Sooner
9/2/2011, 02:15 PM
Going to be ugly... they needed their Johnson on the field in order to score.

No Johnson, no score.

The Maestro
9/2/2011, 02:24 PM
The Damaris Johnson case is just sad. He was a second-team All American last year and I'm pretty sure was preseason AA this year, projected to be one of the top returners and receivers in the country, not just C-USA.

And now that's all out the window, because of...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20110901_damaraisjohn080808080801.jpg

Innocent till proven guilty, but suspended till proven innocent.

Here's hoping this was just a big misunderstanding in time for TU to put half a hundred on OSU and/or BSU.

Nice shirt. What did it cost? A nickel?

Steal better.

LRoss
9/2/2011, 02:28 PM
It's why they play the games (and also, you know, because players like to play, coaches like to coach, and fans like to be entertained, none of which would happen if they didn't actually play the games, but I digress).

Tulsa doesn't look to be a bad team. Overmatched, of course, but competent and talented in their own right. Crazy things happen in football. Turnovers, penalties, injuries, dropped passes, missed assignments, emotional turns, players falling down in the open field, and all manner of random or fluke craziness. In other words, the best team -- even if they're the best team by a large margin -- doesn't always win. So sure, Tulsa has a chance, and absolutely has a chance to keep it close. It's not probable, but improbable things happen all the time. So I think OU probably wins by 30something, but I wouldn't really be surprised if it was within 14 points, and there's always the outside chance that things just go horribly, terribly wrong. I don't think it's an overly realistic chance though.

cvsooner
9/2/2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Tulsa is a little overmatched but it's the first game of the season. Expectations are sky high in Norman. We've got some glitches (Travis Lewis out, Stills suspended, and so on) and let's be honest, the home game winning streak will end at some point. Now I honestly don't think it will be Tulsa that ends it, not tomorrow, but...it will be somebody, and history has shown it's been somebody unexpected with Stoops (OSewe? TCU? I mean, really, who expected that?).

Losing Johnson hurts but Tulsa has a lot of starters coming back. Saving grace may be it's the coach's first big time game. Well, I guess we'll see, won't we?

XFollower
9/2/2011, 02:56 PM
Um, why are his eyebrows crooked?

Sooner_Tuf
9/2/2011, 03:02 PM
No Damaris Johnson = Blowout

With him, they could have at least scored 3 TD's. TU may get shutout now. :apthy:

If you know the right girl you can turn that twenty dollars into about three grand worth of clothes from Macy's Department Stire.

cleller
9/2/2011, 03:07 PM
The current mojo in the air seems like it will be all over very quick. I think our guys are very prepared and focused right now.

TU has a good team coming back from last year, but they must have questions in their minds with the coaching change, and losing Johnson. That little hesitation will get them killed, I think.

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2011, 03:26 PM
If they do have a chance, that is a bad sign. First games can be quirky, but as we found out last year against AFA and Cincy, the Utah State game was no quirk. If we truly deserve a top 5 ranking, Tulsa will have no chance.

pphilfran
9/2/2011, 03:35 PM
Turnovers...lots and lots of turnovers...

badger
9/2/2011, 03:51 PM
Nice shirt. What did it cost? A nickel?

Steal better.

Readers on a Tulsa area media site were speculating that shirt was from Dillards.

And your nickel assessment might be about correct:

According to a police report, Johnson used Jones’ debit card on Saturday to pay for $1,596.09 worth of merchandise, but was charged only $12.91 by Jones. The report also states that on Thursday, Johnson paid 34 cents for $1,238.75 worth of merchandise.

Link (http://www1.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20110826_94_0_Thegir976429)

badger
9/2/2011, 05:06 PM
Oh my goodness... Tulsa is now screwed on defense as well as offense.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=440&articleid=20110902_440_0_Tlacre306535)

This is the guy that had the game-saving interception against Domer. Now suddenly ineligible to play against OU. Big bummer for the Golden Hurricane.

biscuitralph
9/2/2011, 06:27 PM
plainly put THEY DON'T. TU is no where near the league of team they want/think they are.

VA Sooner
9/2/2011, 06:40 PM
Lot of turnover at Tulsa... home-game for OU... losing their very best offensive weapon... all spells doom for Tulsa. But they'll have a chip on their shoulder.

I suspect our offense will be fine... but wanted Demaris in the game so our defense could get some experience before FSU (not to look ahead too much... but another mobile QB who can throw... and an away game).

Hoping we score fast so that defense can get some quality time in.

mdklatt
9/2/2011, 09:22 PM
Have any of you actually watched an entire season of OU football? Tulsa doesn't have to keep it close--we'll do it for them. Other than the Florida State beatdown, we were like 10 points away from starting 1-3 last year. We always find ways to play down to lesser teams, especially at the beginning of the season.

Anyway, I predict Tulsa keeps it close with two kicks run back for touchdowns. :chargrined:

btb916
9/2/2011, 10:01 PM
I think this year's OU team is quite a bit different from the team that stormed out of the gates against USU last year in the season opener. Landry is proven in big time games. The defense has excellent depth. I don't think we stumble like we did last year.

I'm predicting a strong start to another great season!!

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2011, 11:04 PM
Have any of you actually watched an entire season of OU football? Tulsa doesn't have to keep it close--we'll do it for them. Other than the Florida State beatdown, we were like 10 points away from starting 1-3 last year. We always find ways to play down to lesser teams, especially at the beginning of the season.

Anyway, I predict Tulsa keeps it close with two kicks run back for touchdowns. :chargrined:

I think you've only been watching a couple of seasons of OU football. We've had lots of fast starting teams including under Stoops.

oudivesherpa
9/3/2011, 09:09 AM
TU keeps it close because we let them keep it close. The real question is will we cover the 25 point
spread? I think OU will play it very plain, vanilla. if we can win without using much of our offense and
Defensive schemes then we will. OU by 17!

Dan Thompson
9/3/2011, 10:34 AM
I am surprised that the spread is not more than 26.