PDA

View Full Version : Zero Net Jobs Added in August

sappstuf
9/2/2011, 08:39 AM
http://www.hillbuzz.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/cartbam.gif

XingTheRubicon
9/2/2011, 09:20 AM
Yeah, but all that's gonna be fixed on thursday.

REDREX
9/2/2011, 10:46 AM
Why is anyone surprised?

badger
9/2/2011, 10:48 AM
So... is everything we all learned in economics class wrong?

Why I'm asking:

We were in a recession when President Obama took office. Economics is supposed to be cyclical, where recessions turn around because the reactions to recession often combat the causes... currency inflation goes down, leading to higher purchasing power for consumers. Employers and employees are no longer in the constant upward cycle of higher prices lead to higher wages, which lead to higher prices, which lead to higher wages, so prices come down, leading to increased purchasing. With decreased employment, government programs assist the unemployed in finding work or in making ends meet, pumping more money into the economy.

... Where exactly has economics class gone wrong? Why is the economy not cycling back outta recession yet?

I mean, I assumed that's what President Obama was counting on when he took office, similar to what Gov. Brad Henry was dealing with when he took office. As you may recall:

1- Henry takes office as we are slashing state budgets for everything left and right.

2- The economy turns around.

3- By the time he is up for re-election, we had just put as much into the rainy day fund as the state allowed, fully funded education and other initiatives AND cut taxes. All in the same budget year.

It was sure-fire thing to get Gov. Henry re-elected. Is this what President Obama anticipated, that the economy would solve itself as it usually does, and he could be campaigning on how every bad fortune we faced when he took office was now a thing of the past?

hawaii 5-0
9/2/2011, 11:29 AM
I thought the reason for the tax breaks for the wealthy and the big Corporations was so they would create more jobs.

5-0

Trump/ Pinky 2012

sappstuf
9/2/2011, 12:01 PM

Why I'm asking:

We were in a recession when President Obama took office. Economics is supposed to be cyclical, where recessions turn around because the reactions to recession often combat the causes... currency inflation goes down, leading to higher purchasing power for consumers. Employers and employees are no longer in the constant upward cycle of higher prices lead to higher wages, which lead to higher prices, which lead to higher wages, so prices come down, leading to increased purchasing. With decreased employment, government programs assist the unemployed in finding work or in making ends meet, pumping more money into the economy.

... Where exactly has economics class gone wrong? Why is the economy not cycling back outta recession yet?

I mean, I assumed that's what President Obama was counting on when he took office, similar to what Gov. Brad Henry was dealing with when he took office. As you may recall:

1- Henry takes office as we are slashing state budgets for everything left and right.

3- By the time he is up for re-election, we had just put as much into the rainy day fund as the state allowed, fully funded education and other initiatives AND cut taxes. All in the same budget year.

It was sure-fire thing to get Gov. Henry re-elected. Is this what President Obama anticipated, that the economy would solve itself as it usually does, and he could be campaigning on how every bad fortune we faced when he took office was now a thing of the past?

Obama did the exact opposite. He passed the stimulus and blew up annual federal spending. On top of that he increased the cost of business by passing Obamacare and vast new regulatory requirements.

Since businesses do not know the true cost of expanding, they would rather sit on the sidelines rather than risk money at the wrong time. That is why you see record profits, but nobody is hiring.

Turd_Ferguson
9/2/2011, 12:12 PM
I thought the reason for the tax breaks for the wealthy and the big Corporations was so they would create more jobs.

5-0

Trump/ Pinky 2012Your thoughts don't count no more because your always wrong with your assumptions and you have proved to be an liberal hack...

oumartin
9/2/2011, 12:37 PM
Maybe the cycle will start when prices start to come down. They continue to go up

hawaii 5-0
9/2/2011, 01:14 PM
Your thoughts don't count no more because your always wrong with your assumptions and you have proved to be an liberal hack...

It sure is sweet to have my own special Troll following me around with personal attacks. Your life's purpose is realized. Carry on.

5-0

Trump/ Perry's limpwrist 2012

pphilfran
9/2/2011, 01:18 PM
Maybe the cycle will start when prices start to come down. They continue to go up

Actually, prices are being held in check by slow demand...when the world's economy picks up you will then be able to talk about prices climbing...

pphilfran
9/2/2011, 01:18 PM
It sure is sweet to have my own special Troll following me around with personal attacks. Your life's purpose is realized. Carry on.

5-0

Trump/ Perry's limpwrist 2012

You got the start of a good Posse....

hawaii 5-0
9/2/2011, 01:20 PM
You got the start of a good Posse....

I think Turd's a little sweet on me.

5-0

Trump/ Yoni 2012

pphilfran
9/2/2011, 01:23 PM
I think Turd's a little sweet on me.

5-0

Trump/ Yoni 2012

He can't resist someone living in a little grass shack...

hawaii 5-0
9/2/2011, 01:28 PM
Back on topic.......it's strange that private sector jobs increased while public sector jobs decreased and the Net was still Zero.

5-0

Trump/ Zeke 2012

Position Limit
9/2/2011, 01:43 PM
Your thoughts don't count no more because your always wrong with your assumptions and you have proved to be an liberal hack...

his assumptions on tax breaks for the wealty (your nowhere close to wealty) dont belong to the liberal hack group. this assumption of job creation is worn like a thorny crown from the hack group that you so embarrassingly reside in. it seems all of your rebuttals are static, shallow, and not very creative. common traits among your ilk. now i fully expect a personal attack and if im really lucky you'll include a very worn out talking point. at any rate it will be highly unoriginal. does your employer allow you to listen to rush from your cubical?

pphilfran
9/2/2011, 01:45 PM
It is not really surprising..

States ain't got no money = layoffs

Low consumer confidence = slow spending = slow job growth

hawaii 5-0
9/2/2011, 01:53 PM
I know the Oil business is booming but what about the other big corporations that are getting sweet tax cuts. Shouldn't they be hiring?

5-0

Trump/ Perry's smegma 2012

Position Limit
9/2/2011, 01:55 PM

Why I'm asking:

you're too smart to belive the fox news talking point of businesses too afraid to expand or hire because of obamacare or blah blah blah. employment is not coming back for a long, long time. the CDS, mortgage backed market and all of its trimmings was a bubble bigger than we can comprehend. it's bursting will take a long time to recover from. and while that time is passed, compaines will continue with higher productivity and effiency models advanced by technology. until the next bubble is created and funded by wall street, 9% unemployment and crappy asset growth will be the norm. but have faith, the street has more than one way to skin a cat. in the world of global economies, this country's markets cant compete without a good ole american made bubble. until then, own the volatility and enjoy the ride. or just tune into fox for your next move.

tommieharris91
9/2/2011, 02:28 PM

Why I'm asking:

It was sure-fire thing to get Gov. Henry re-elected. Is this what President Obama anticipated, that the economy would solve itself as it usually does, and he could be campaigning on how every bad fortune we faced when he took office was now a thing of the past?This is probably because you never learned about the concept of a liquidity trap.

badger
9/2/2011, 02:29 PM
I don't Fox News unless I'm visiting someone else's house... someone older and more Republican than me, yes. Cable news be teh succ.

One thing that amuses me about the state of markets is that investors seem desperate to cram whatever they can out of this market... but panic at the first sign of trouble (a new hiring report, or a starz deal with netflix falling through, for example). On non-panic days, however, those markets just tick back up and people hope to keep making a few more bucks.

Not sure I could handle being a stock market game player. You almost have to be up 24 hours a day, waiting for that hint of trouble so you know when to sell before everyone else does.

Position Limit
9/2/2011, 02:37 PM
I don't Fox News unless I'm visiting someone else's house... someone older and more Republican than me, yes. Cable news be teh succ.

One thing that amuses me about the state of markets is that investors seem desperate to cram whatever they can out of this market... but panic at the first sign of trouble (a new hiring report, or a starz deal with netflix falling through, for example). On non-panic days, however, those markets just tick back up and people hope to keep making a few more bucks.

Not sure I could handle being a stock market game player. You almost have to be up 24 hours a day, waiting for that hint of trouble so you know when to sell before everyone else does.

i wasnt suggesting you get involved with the stock market. i was suggesting you look for the next bubble and play it accordingly. and i didnt mean to imply that you watch fox news with flying saucer eyes like some residents on this board that represent the party of myths. whenever a negative number comes out the serendipitous cheerleaders seem to be right on que. armed with talking points. bubble economy, that's what we are and need.

TitoMorelli
9/2/2011, 03:11 PM
you're too smart to belive the fox news talking point of businesses too afraid to expand or hire because of obamacare or blah blah blah. employment is not coming back for a long, long time. the CDS, mortgage backed market and all of its trimmings was a bubble bigger than we can comprehend. it's bursting will take a long time to recover from. and while that time is passed, compaines will continue with higher productivity and effiency models advanced by technology. until the next bubble is created and funded by wall street, 9% unemployment and crappy asset growth will be the norm. but have faith, the street has more than one way to skin a cat. in the world of global economies, this country's markets cant compete without a good ole american made bubble. until then, own the volatility and enjoy the ride. or just tune into fox for your next move.

So I guess the fact that many corporate CEO's themselves have openly stated that the uncertainly about coming HCR costs to their corporations, along with the overtly hostile attitude towards big business as expressed by this administration, are significant reasons for the lack of hiring, means zilch.

badger
9/2/2011, 03:27 PM
I honestly think that stuff is just the public excuse that is plausible enough to pass as the real reason, when in fact employers are seeing value in driving employees into the ground rather than replacing open positions because the job market is so crappy that the overworked employees aren't going to leave anyway.

Obamacare? Hell, most of them already have some form of health insurance offered to employees. Obama administration? Everyone knows that there will be a Republican majority in the Senate soon enough thanks to the unpopularity of the current group.

Position Limit
9/2/2011, 03:38 PM
So I guess the fact that many corporate CEO's themselves have openly stated that the uncertainly about coming HCR costs to their corporations, along with the overtly hostile attitude towards big business as expressed by this administration, are significant reasons for the lack of hiring, means zilch.

so myopic. so obtuse. and so hellbent on clinging to this absurd talking point. and desparate to believe that the dynamic world economy can be boiled down to obama bad. muy,muy malo. pull your head out of your rear and think for yourself for a change. do you have and comment on my bubble theory? any thought of your own? nope. zero. just pick out the talking point that i blew out of the water and fuggin cling to it. you guys are like monkeys slinging crap at a wall and hoping it sticks. in the case of fox news, they sling it at you and it sticks. hows the weather in jonestown these days? second quarter earnings just closed rather well. many a happy ceo's out there. i guess they didnt get the memo. they should be sitting on the sidelines waitin for perry/palin or bachmann to come save the day. ineffiecny be damned!!! tell you what, give me this extensive list of s&p 500 ceo's sitting in a dark room scared of obama and regulation and healthcare, and i'll provide you with earnings from a dynamic marketplace. i'm sure you cant wait to show me how proud you are of ancedotal quotes from struggling ceo's. or you could just discuss this bubble theory and get to an answer on your own. it's like the bible with you guys. you need very distinct guildlines to get through life and nothing is dynamic. all can be explaned in the world with quotes and fear.

Position Limit
9/2/2011, 03:43 PM
I honestly think that stuff is just the public excuse that is plausible enough to pass as the real reason, when in fact employers are seeing value in driving employees into the ground rather than replacing open positions because the job market is so crappy that the overworked employees aren't going to leave anyway.

Obamacare? Hell, most of them already have some form of health insurance offered to employees. Obama administration? Everyone knows that there will be a Republican majority in the Senate soon enough thanks to the unpopularity of the current group.

yes indeed. thank you. it's the market becoming more efficient and more productive. nobody can stop it. but these things dont fit the current narrative set forth from the party fear and loathing. all positives must be stomped out and all negatives must be blown up with myth this size of a mushroom cloud to make us all forget what happened from 2000-2008

sappstuf
9/2/2011, 04:59 PM
so myopic. so obtuse. and so hellbent on clinging to this absurd talking point. and desparate to believe that the dynamic world economy can be boiled down to obama bad. muy,muy malo. pull your head out of your rear and think for yourself for a change. do you have and comment on my bubble theory? any thought of your own? nope. zero. just pick out the talking point that i blew out of the water and fuggin cling to it. you guys are like monkeys slinging crap at a wall and hoping it sticks. in the case of fox news, they sling it at you and it sticks. hows the weather in jonestown these days? second quarter earnings just closed rather well. many a happy ceo's out there. i guess they didnt get the memo. they should be sitting on the sidelines waitin for perry/palin or bachmann to come save the day. ineffiecny be damned!!! tell you what, give me this extensive list of s&p 500 ceo's sitting in a dark room scared of obama and regulation and healthcare, and i'll provide you with earnings from a dynamic marketplace. i'm sure you cant wait to show me how proud you are of ancedotal quotes from struggling ceo's. or you could just discuss this bubble theory and get to an answer on your own. it's like the bible with you guys. you need very distinct guildlines to get through life and nothing is dynamic. all can be explaned in the world with quotes and fear.

Instead of writing terrible posts trying to insult everyone, why don't you actually post something constructive?

Of course you ask for the impossible and you know that, so the closest we can do is a poll done by Harris Interactive of small business owners .

What did they say?

75% say the healthcare law makes it harder to hire more employees

79% say taxation, regulation and legislation make it harder for their business to hire more
employees

http://www.uschambersmallbusinessnation.com/docs/US-Chamber-of-Commerce-Summit-Presentation-from-Harris-Interactive.pdf

Since you are a smart guy, I'm sure you will be able to explain this chart..

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2011/07/~/media/Images/Reports/2011/07/wm3316_chart1.ashx?w=500&h=718&as=1

Now that chart ends in June of 2011.. Ah ha, you say. It probably gets better after that... Uh not really. Adding a goose egg usually doesn't help averages..

I can't embed the picture, but the jobs chart including August is on the first page on the right side for your convenience.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Jobs were increasing pretty good and getting better up until the month Obamacare was passed. Pretty much flat since then.

It must be those darn Repub talking points causing all of this....

sappstuf
9/2/2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah, but all that's gonna be fixed on thursday.

You would have thought that Obama could have at least given a statement on the jobs report before jetting off to Camp David. But.. Can't miss that tee time I suppose.

But you are right, at least next Thursday he will lay out his entire jobs plan to Congress so they can vote it up or down. For that I give him a little credit.

Uh oh...

Aides say Thursday’s speech will be part of a bigger plan the White House will roll out throughout the fall with the president hitting the road for speeches and town hall appearances.

Oh great, another bus tour... Just what the American economy needs!

TitoMorelli
9/2/2011, 06:31 PM
Instead of writing terrible posts trying to insult everyone, why don't you actually post something constructive?

Well at least he sticks to the one thing at which he excels.:biggrin:

dwarthog
9/2/2011, 07:07 PM
This is probably because you never learned about the concept of a liquidity trap.

"Liquidity trap".

Them be mighty big words, and we are just simple internet posters.

So, folks with money won't invest/spend due to a driving fear of some sort?

Can't be.

Those are just talking points for the simple minded, according to other posters.

soonercruiser
9/2/2011, 09:45 PM
The big picture is even worst!
The report on new jobs created for the last 4 months shows a troubling trend....DOWM!!
(approximates...maybe someone can find the exact ones)
-40 some K
-and now NONE!

This is the picture of a stalling economy!
Wonder why....see my new thread......."Gibson Guitar".

diverdog
9/3/2011, 08:58 PM
The big picture is even worst!
The report on new jobs created for the last 4 months shows a troubling trend....DOWM!!
(approximates...maybe someone can find the exact ones)
-40 some K
-and now NONE!

This is the picture of a stalling economy!
Wonder why....see my new thread......."Gibson Guitar".

Well it doesn't help that states are laying workers off by droves because of budget cuts.

soonercruiser
9/4/2011, 01:57 PM
Yes!
The Obama economy is soooooo bad, that we are even loosing gobment jobs!
:rapture:

soonercruiser
9/4/2011, 02:02 PM
http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Economy/bull%20ready%20economy.jpg

hawaii 5-0
9/4/2011, 02:03 PM
Yes!
The Obama economy is soooooo bad, that we are even loosing gobment jobs!
:rapture:

I thought the idea was to shrink the ballooning gobment. You're still complaining?

5-0

Trump/ Perry's skidmark 2012

badger
9/4/2011, 06:26 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleImages/2011/20110904_Plante20110904.jpg