PDA

View Full Version : Austin Box Award

d.stOUgh
9/2/2011, 02:52 AM
Don Key was a three-year starter for the Sooners, an All-Big 8 guard and potential All-American until cancer surgery ended his football career in 1981. Sooner coach Barry Switzer established the Don Key Award in 1982.

Oklahoma coaches describe the award as the highest honor an OU football player can receive while playing for the Sooners. The Don Key Award is the only individual award given in Oklahoma football. It goes to the player who best exemplifies the many superior qualities of Key, both on the field and in the classroom.

The Don Key award is an offensive reward for the best offensive player since 1982...

Your thoughts for an Austin Box Award for the best defensive player for the same reason Don Keys' award was established?

I think it would be appropriate award for the best defensive player that gives/gave his all for OUr Sooners!

Don had cancer...Austin had pain that no one outside of a Sooner Player could ever know!

Austin may have gone about dealing with his injuries/pain in the wrong way, but no one can say he didn't give everything he had to Our Sooner Team!

rekamrettuB
9/2/2011, 03:58 AM
Don Key may have played on offense but the Don Key Award is not for an offensive player. The 1st award was given to Jerry Sanders and last year's award went to Jeremy Beal and Adrian Taylor. There's other ways to honor Austin Box, and he deserves it regardless of circumstance, but keep the Don Key Award as is.

OutlandTrophy
9/2/2011, 07:13 AM
no

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2011, 07:28 AM
no

this

C&CDean
9/2/2011, 08:00 AM
Hell no.

Breadburner
9/2/2011, 08:12 AM
No here as well.....

Lawton4Life
9/2/2011, 08:16 AM
The Don Key is for the best senior teammate voted on by the team. Where did you get its an offense award?

Soonerus
9/2/2011, 09:33 AM
Just cannot do it under the circumstances...

Mad Dog Madsen
9/2/2011, 09:38 AM
What?

badger
9/2/2011, 10:33 AM
Wort is the first Austin Box Award recipient!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110902_92_0_NORMAN505687)

Yes, I mean that he gets to wear #12 for the first game. It's a wonderful honor, no need to make a seasonal award out of it right away with that going on.

Neath a Western Sky
9/2/2011, 01:41 PM
How about wearing the uniform of Box #12 is the award, someone different every game this year...and every year after this. He will remain forever on the field. We are about legends and traditions and legacies and heritage...

VA Sooner
9/2/2011, 02:17 PM
The tradition this season of wearing the #12 jersey will go a long way in remembering Box the best way the team knows how. I respect that. I'll be interested to see how each player steps up in their role. The power of deep emotion.

okienole3
9/2/2011, 04:06 PM
No.

But, is there any doubt Box will win the Don Key award posthumously?