PDA

View Full Version : OU about to bolt for PAC 12... quickly

Pages : [1] 2

Soonermagik
9/1/2011, 10:32 AM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/01/ou-to-jump-to-pac-12-sooner-rather-than-later/related/

OU to jump to Pac-12 Sooner rather than later?
Posted by John Taylor on September 1, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Welcome to Game Day 2011 y’all!

On the same day a new season is officially upon us, and just a day after Texas A&M made its biggest jump yet in the latest game of conference leapfrog, the demise of the Big 12-ish is — again — reportedly upon us.

In a piece he penned for the Austin American-Statesman titled “One more move and Big 12 is over”, venerable columnist Kirk Bohls puts the onus for the survival of the conferences squarely on the shoulders of the Oklahoma Sooners. And presumably, based on those he’s spoken to, the Norman school is ready to put its current conference out of its misery and head west.

Should Oklahoma act upon its earnest desires and seek an invitation to join the Pacific-12 Conference — something I’m fully expecting to happen within days, if not hours — that decision could well be the killing blow to the Big 12 while also providing Texas the political cover to follow suit and ask for admission as well.

“Oklahoma owns all the cards,” a Big 12 source added.

But wait. There’s more says television infomercial guy. Bohls continues painting a landscape-shifting picture of Texas privately hoping that their Red River rivals make the first in a series of moves — thus ensuring that “the Longhorns’ hands would be politically clean” — in what would result in, “probably before the calendar turns to October… [y]our new Pac-16 members: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.”

That’s right. On the first official day of the 2011 season, one of the most respected writers in Big 12 country if not all of college football is not only very publicly seeing the end of the conference — presumably from a source or sources he’s developed from within the conference itself — he’s also saying that all of this will unfold in less than a month’s time.

As if to add a tanker full of fuel to the fire of speculation, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott issued a statement to Suzanne Halliburton of the American-Statesman that does not dismiss Bohls’ scenario. At all.

“While I cannot predict if and when this (Pac-12 expansion) might make sense for us, we will listen to and evaluate any scenario that would benefit our member institutions, our student-athletes and our fans,” Scott trolled told the paper.

And what of The Longhorn Network, the television elephant in the room that prevented the Pac-16 from being formed last year and played a prominent role in the Aggies departing this year? “The Longhorn Network gets folded into the Pac-16 as a downsized regional network, joining the six regional networks that already exist within the conference,” Bohls writes.

Of course, if Bohls’ apocalyptic scenario were to come to fruition — and obviously that’s a very, very big if right now — it would be a monumental shift for both the future of the game and for the 2011 itself. Instead of both eyes being focused squarely on the playing field for the foreseeable future, at least one would be trained squarely on the offices of the SEC and the Big Ten. Make no mistake; if the Pac-12 makes the first real leap into the super-conference stratosphere, the two power conferences will respond in kind — very forcefully, very emphatically.

So, again, welcome to Game Day 2011 y’all!

Or, as Bohls’ put it…

“In the end, these Big 12 schools should have gone their separate ways last summer and avoided all this unnecessary drama and hand-wringing.”

Amen, brutha. Amen.

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 10:35 AM
Pac-16, Clap, clap clap.

Partial Qualifier
9/1/2011, 10:37 AM
Hmm...

The Maestro
9/1/2011, 10:50 AM
Whether it is the Texas schools or the Kansas schools I can't wait for it to happen. But if Texas thinks their hands would be politically clean, think again. The LHN is the root cause of this round of problems. Four superconferences are not far away.

Pac 16.

SEC grows to 16.

Big 10 grows to 16...and I wonder if they will still go by Big 10? When is the last time they had 10 teams?

And then the Big East and ACC merge with whatever is left after SEC and Big 10 steal a few each.

We might actually get that tournament in our lifetime!

MeMyself&Me
9/1/2011, 10:54 AM
Whether it is the Texas schools or the Kansas schools I can't wait for it to happen. But if Texas thinks their hands would be politically clean, think again. The LHN is the root cause of this round of problems. Four superconferences are not far away.

Pac 16.

SEC grows to 16.

Big 10 grows to 16...and I wonder if they will still go by Big 10? When is the last time they had 10 teams?

And then the Big East and ACC merge with whatever is left after SEC and Big 10 steal a few each.

I don't think it's about how they are percieved nationally, I think he's referring to state politics. If OU and OSU go together, OU is not going to face a lot of in-fighting over it and Texas will be in a position in state to be able to say, they had no choice but go to the Pac, even though that means leaving Baylor behind. In the state politics, it will be easier for us to force the issue than them.

Lott's Bandana
9/1/2011, 10:56 AM
Bohls' article is a subtle attempt to shift the blame of the conference implosion away from whorn.

In the 3 threads that refer to this AAS article already, there is no indication or source referenced that show OU is even considering moving. Bohls only refers to last year to base this article from, painting OU as the impetus.

While I like the idea of moving PAC, I believe the OU Administration will do everything reasonable to stabilize the current situation and keep the Big XII intact...first.

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 10:57 AM
Thats why Bohls says we hold all the cards. Nice postion in which to reside.

BoulderSooner79
9/1/2011, 10:58 AM
The best line from that article is "Big 12-ish"

Lott's Bandana
9/1/2011, 11:00 AM
Thats why Bohls says we hold all the cards. Nice postion in which to reside.

No doubt. OU's reputation has increased significantly around the country because of our lack of public grandstanding. I'm basing this statement on media and fan comments I have read throughout the innerwebs the past several weeks.

rock on sooner
9/1/2011, 11:04 AM
Looks like there will be a Stoops vs Stoops on a regular basis after all. PAC 16, ummmm, something else for OUr Sooners to lay waste to..

Soonermagik
9/1/2011, 11:04 AM
Boren has to do what's best for OU and staying in a dumbed down conference isn't best. I think the PAC 16 is inevitable and is bound to happen. I agree that OU should make the 1st move and kill this lame conference.

Plus, how awesome would it be killing the Trojans and Ducks at OUr house? Not to mention, taking road/plane trips out West would be fun.

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2011, 11:08 AM
texas claims that 3 years ago - they personally offered a&m the opportunity to go in on this network idea on a 50/50 basis - a&m wanted nothing to do with it

why the big 12 couldnt have created their own regional network is beyond me

but i think at this point - a watered down big 12 is a horrible idea - we're going to become irrelevant as a conference

i didnt like the idea of the PAC 16 last year and I dont now - but if its inevitable, i say pull the plug on this dying mutha and get on with it

TheUnnamedSooner
9/1/2011, 11:09 AM
Strictly as a football fan, I would prefer SEC, but Pac would be better than what we have left here.

BoulderSooner79
This quote from Mack Brown regarding Connor Wood transferring to Colorado seems unrelated :

"We appreciate everything Connor has brought to our program," Brown said. "He is a tremendous young man and is a great teammate and student. We hate to see him leave, but at the same time we understand his desire to play. We hope for nothing but the best for him and look forward to following his career at Colorado."

But is it? Listen carefully :

"We appreciate everything Connor has brought to our program," Brown said. "He is a tremendous young man and is a great teammate and student. We hate to see him leave, but at the same time we understand his desire to play. We hope for nothing but the best for him and look forward to following him to the Pac 12-16 like Colorado."

saucysoonergal
The only downside is the Pac-16 officials.

C&CDean
9/1/2011, 11:12 AM
Road trips to San Francisco, Seattle, Phoenix, Tucson, LA, etc. versus Manhattan, Waco, Lubbock, and Columbia?

In.

Lott's Bandana
9/1/2011, 11:15 AM
Road trips to San Francisco, Seattle, Phoenix, Tucson, LA, etc. versus Manhattan, Waco, Lubbock, and Columbia?

In.

Don't forget a return to Boulder...I like that place.

EDIT: The town, not Folsom Field.

oumaddawg
9/1/2011, 11:17 AM
Why are we HELL bent on joining the Pac-12? Why not the Big 10? It seems more practically by a geographical standpoint.

Theskipster
9/1/2011, 11:17 AM

They have made major changes this year to improve their officiating.

Frozen Sooner
9/1/2011, 11:18 AM
They cleaned house on their officials last year. Fired a bunch of the old-timers and brought in some pretty quality guys.

IndySooner
9/1/2011, 11:18 AM
Why are we HELL bent on joining the Pac-12? Why not the Big 10? It seems more practically by a geographical standpoint.

Politics. Big 10 won't take OSU. Pac 10 will. I think the Big 10 is where we would really like to go, frankly.

ouwasp
9/1/2011, 11:19 AM
I hope Dan Beebe doesn't follow along as some sort of associate commisioner or something...

Frozen Sooner
9/1/2011, 11:19 AM
Sorry skipster. Left the computer open for a while and didn't see your response before posting.

oumaddog, the Big Ten doesn't want anyone not named Notre Dame.

BigTip
9/1/2011, 11:20 AM

And the time change. Half the games you play will require body adjustment.

I know I always have a hard time adjusting when I go to Vegas. Of course that might be because I'm buzzed the whole time I'm there.

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 11:20 AM
Come on Boren and Joe Castiglione, make this happen already!

OUHOMER
9/1/2011, 11:23 AM
dont like the PAC anything. Dont like the thought of a 9 to 10 pm kickoffs.

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 11:29 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/45714/boomer-sooner-scott-to-hook-em-pac-16

We interrupt your final preparations for the opening week of the college football season for a word from our sponsor: Expansion.

Says Expansion, "We're baaaack!"

With Texas A&M officially tap dancing its way toward the SEC, the general feeling is the Big 12 now stands on shaky ground. Really shaky ground.

And there are two new power brokers as we look ahead: the Pac-12 and Oklahoma.

Recall how Texas left Larry Scott and the other Big 12 members of the Pac-16 plan, including Oklahoma, at the altar? Well, Scott is no longer a guy who transforms from blushing bride to despondent daisy.

Recall the scene in "A Few Good Men" when Col. Nathan R. Jessep tells Lt. Daniel Kaffee, "You gotta ask me nicely." That's the new Scott.

Scott has proved he can produce. Texas, the biggest expansion prize, knows now it will be richer as a member of an expanded Pac-12 than as an Independent or as a member of a watered-down Big 12.

But the team that needs to take the lead on the deal is Oklahoma, not Texas, as Jake Trotter writes here: "This time around, Texas does not hold all the cards and the Sooners have fewer obstacles in their path to another conference."

Kirk Bohls of the Austin Statesman believes Texas wants Oklahoma to make the first overtures to the Pac-12:

Should Oklahoma act upon its earnest desires and seek an invitation to join the Pacific-12 Conference — something I'm fully expecting to happen within days, if not hours — that decision could well be the killing blow to the Big 12 while also providing Texas the political cover to follow suit and ask for admission as well.

The Pac-12's not going to ask first. It's been down that road before, led along until the eleventh hour a year ago.

Bohls goes so far as to make a prediction.

Here's what I think will happen, probably before the calendar turns to October:

Your new Pac-16 members: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
The era of the super conference begins.

What about the Longhorn Network, which has been seen as stumbling block (Scott has said as much in interviews)?

The Longhorn Network gets folded into the Pac-16 as a downsized regional network, joining the six regional networks that already exist within the conference.

Scott has long said he believes college football will continue to consolidate. And he knows he now holds a strong hand.

Are we headed for a Pac-16, with East and West Divisions (Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in the East; California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington and Washington State in the West)?

Let's just say lots of folks think so.

Big winner in this: Utah, which wasn't part of the original Pac-16 plan.

Small loser: Colorado, which would switch out some glamorous Pac-12 road trips for more weekends in Stillwater, Norman and Lubbock.

Ring-ring! "Larry, Oklahoma is on line 16."

Big grin. "Tell them I'll be with them when I finish my danish."

Oh, and what is the "official" position of the Pac-12. Here's a statement from Scott:

"Our sole focus has been on developing the tremendous opportunities we have as a new, 12-team Conference and we have no current plans to expand the Pac-12. However, I have made clear my vision that the health, stability and future of college athletics will likely include further consolidation and re-alignment. While I can not predict if and when this might make sense for us, we will listen to and evaluate any scenario that would benefit our member institutions, our student-athletes and our fans. In the meantime, we are pleased to be in a strong leadership position in academics and college athletics, with both a rich heritage of success and recent moves that have greatly strengthened our conference and positioned us well for the future

The Maestro
9/1/2011, 11:30 AM

Take a nap.

BoulderSooner79
9/1/2011, 11:33 AM

They would be on our side now :eagerness:

oumaddawg
9/1/2011, 11:35 AM
oumaddog, the Big Ten doesn't want anyone not named Notre Dame.

That really chaps my butt!!!!!!!!

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 11:36 AM

What is this thing where everyone assumes all of our games are going to be at 9 or 10 pm? I just don't see a basis for this. Check out all of the Pac 12 games for this weekend. Every televised game is no later than 7 central. I don't see any reason why they would force an OU-USC game for 9 pm. It would be worse for the network, worse for us, and it doesn't benefit people in California, as 6 or 7 or even 2:30 central time works just as well for them. The only thing that would change as far as kickoff times as far as I can see is a lack of 11 am games.

And I just posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here. Our 8-team division would likely consist of OU, OSU, UT, TT, Arizona St, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah, with the Cali/Oregon/Washington teams in the other division. That would mean we wouldn't even go into the pacific time zone until possibly the conference championship game.

pweitkem
9/1/2011, 11:39 AM
how happy do you think Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado are that OU, OSU and UT could potentially come to their division? They'll go from a potential Pac XII Championship contender to a team looking to make it to a bowl.

The Maestro
9/1/2011, 11:39 AM
What is this thing where everyone assumes all of our games are going to be at 9 or 10 pm? I just don't see a basis for this. Check out all of the Pac 12 games for this weekend. Every televised game is no later than 7 central. I don't see any reason why they would force an OU-USC game for 9 pm. It would be worse for the network, worse for us, and it doesn't benefit people in California, as 6 or 7 or even 2:30 central time works just as well for them. The only thing that would change as far as kickoff times as far as I can see is a lack of 11 am games.

And I just posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here. Our 8-team division would likely consist of OU, OSU, UT, TT, Arizona St, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah, with the Cali/Oregon/Washington teams in the other division. That would mean we wouldn't even go into the pacific time zone until possibly the conference championship game.

For the record, AZ is Pacific time half the year...the first part of football season. We don't move our clocks. So half the year Mountain and half the year Pacific.

BigTip
9/1/2011, 11:40 AM
Seems like every article is using Kirk Bohls as the source. Sure is a lot of buzz being generated from one article.

kevpks
9/1/2011, 11:45 AM

But we could take some of our Big XII officials! Wait...oh crap.

SoonerNomad
9/1/2011, 11:45 AM
I live in Arizona so I would benefit greatly from the change. However, I continue to not like the idea of the Sooners playing in this namby pamby west coast conference, where getting to the beach is more important than getting to the tailgate. The football has improved but the football culture is still lacking. The locals are too cool to be die hard football fans and it shows in their facilities, their crowds and their football teams.

Football is about passion. We don't have it out here in the desert. Sad to say.

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 11:47 AM
For the record, AZ is Pacific time half the year...the first part of football season. We don't move our clocks. So half the year Mountain and half the year Pacific.

Oh yeah, I actually knew that. More than likely that would be just one game, if that, since Daylight Savings Time ends in the beginning of November, and one of the Arizona schools would probably be playing in Norman most years. I still don't see much of a problem.

Sooners78
9/1/2011, 11:47 AM

In.

I'll watch from the safety of my home.

cjames317
9/1/2011, 11:48 AM
If OU went west, think of where future recruits would be playing:

OU - plays West coast/Arizona/Utah/Colorado, horns in Dallas, Notre Dame, Tennessee, LSU, Ohio St., home in Norman
a&m - plays SEC (including Ark. in Jerryworld), Oregon, home in College Station
horns - plays Notre Dame, Mississippi, USC, Cal, Maryland, OU in Dallas, home in Austin.

If you were a player, you would choose _____________?

The Maestro
9/1/2011, 11:51 AM
Football is about passion. We don't have it out here in the desert. Sad to say.

But they have passion in Waco, Stillwater, Ames, Manhattan and Lawrence? I'll take your answer off the air.

fadada1
9/1/2011, 11:57 AM
seriously. they're blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other.

SoonerMom2
9/1/2011, 12:04 PM
Absolutely! Much rather go west than east as well. Having driving through some of the SEC towns I give a big thumbs down. Pretty much in the middle of no where except for LSU and UF which are on actual interstates. Having lived in SoCal for almost five years before my husband was transferred, I will take the PAC 12 any day!

swardboy
9/1/2011, 12:06 PM
We've already got a nice recruiting pipeline into southern Cali....this will only get stronger.

soonerfromgeorgia
9/1/2011, 12:09 PM
Now might be the time to pull a A&M and announce that we are leaving the Big 12 as soon as we find a suitor. I don't like the aggies doing it but with the sooners doing it also you might see a forced panic by the 3 big conferences as they hustle to get the top quality programs. I'd hate to go PAC 12 and then watch the SEC expand to 16teams.
IMO PAC-12 is the 3rd best place we could end up, it isn't much better that a 9 team Big-12 and would look as if we dodged the SEC.

1. SEC
2. Big 10
3. PAC 12
4. Big East/ACC Combo Conference.

silverwheels
9/1/2011, 12:16 PM
Pac-12 is the best place that wants us for the University as a whole.

jkjsooner
9/1/2011, 12:19 PM
Someone on ESPN boards posted a scenario where there would be four divisions:

Cali: UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal
Northwest: UW, WSU, Oregon, Oregon St
Mtn: Utah, Colorado, Arizona, ASU
Plains: Texas, OU, OSU, TT

I really like this idea. We would play the teams in our division every year and two teams from each other division. That way we would still play each team every other (or 2 out of 4) years.

It would be harder to come up with a representative for the conference championship game but it wouldn't be a whole lot harder than it already is. I'd say it would look like the following:

1. The two teams with the best conference records would be in the title game.
1a. Only one team per division may be in the championship game so you must win your division (or at least win the tie-breaker) to be eligible.

It could get a little hairy with tiebreaker scenarios but I think you could work that out.

The Maestro
9/1/2011, 12:21 PM

I really like this idea. We would play the teams in our division every year and two teams from each other division. That way we would still play each team every other (or 2 out of 4) years.

It would be harder to come up with a representative for the conference championship game but it wouldn't be a whole lot harder than it already is. I'd say it would look like the following:

1a. Only one team per division may be in the championship game so you must win your division (or at least win the tie-breaker) to be eligible.

It could get a little hairy with tiebreaker scenarios but I think you could work that out.

Love this idea...

70sooner
9/1/2011, 12:21 PM
the BIG 10 allegedly won't invite OU because of OU not having the AAU credentials all the other members have, although Nebbish lost theirs shortly after joining the BIG 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

Lott's Bandana
9/1/2011, 12:25 PM
I read somewhere today...who knows where...that in order for aTm to leave next year, they had to announce their intentions yesterday, or be required to stay through 2012.

I presume this applies to everyone, so all of a sudden I see this issue cooling off for a while, as being a lame duck for two seasons would be less than desired. However, if a decision is made soon to leave, it might cause the conference to implode, therefore making whatever rule about staying another year irrelevant.

Phil
9/1/2011, 12:35 PM
Actually the way it would work with four divisions is that there would be a conference semifinal round. Winners of the divisions would play, then those winners would play for the conference title.

SoonerLaw09
9/1/2011, 12:36 PM

Pac 16.

SEC grows to 16.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CFOq-TbN3_0/TSciZEl74-I/AAAAAAAAAYQ/P5Ua7jV8FMA/s400/jim-mora.jpg

PLAYOFFS!?!?!??!?!!!?

OULenexaman
9/1/2011, 12:42 PM
So when the Big 12-2-1 implodes does Colorado and Nebraska get their bolting money back??

TheUnnamedSooner
9/1/2011, 12:50 PM
So when the Big 12-2-1 implodes does Colorado and Nebraska get their bolting money back??

Yes, all the other institutions will gladly hand back their portion.

Ruf/Nek7
9/1/2011, 12:53 PM
This would be a huge win for the Pac-(insert desired #) especially since the infractions imposed on usc, and the potential scandle at oregon. The first conference to really turn into a superconference. Either way, BOOMER

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 12:53 PM
Actually the way it would work with four divisions is that there would be a conference semifinal round. Winners of the divisions would play, then those winners would play for the conference title.

The teams that didn't make it to the semifinals would only be playing 3 conference games, so teams would need to schedule 8 non-conference teams. That puts you at 11 games, with the optional semifinal game as the 12th game, then championship game. Playing 8 non-conference games would be pretty interesting to say the least. It would give us plenty of room to schedule up old pals like A&M, Nebraska, Kansas, etc. Or would it even be possible to schedule that many? I suppose we could still play some other pac 16 teams, even though the games wouldn't mean anything.

On the downside, imagine all of the 3-way ties. We would need a good system in place to decide those before anything gets going. With 4 divisions of only 4 teams, I bet we would have at least 2 every season.

the-rover
9/1/2011, 01:01 PM

Everyone has to give their portion to ISU, KSU, BU and KU.....consolation prize

silverwheels
9/1/2011, 01:10 PM
The teams that didn't make it to the semifinals would only be playing 3 conference games, so teams would need to schedule 8 non-conference teams. That puts you at 11 games, with the optional semifinal game as the 12th game, then championship game. Playing 8 non-conference games would be pretty interesting to say the least. It would give us plenty of room to schedule up old pals like A&M, Nebraska, Kansas, etc. Or would it even be possible to schedule that many? I suppose we could still play some other pac 16 teams, even though the games wouldn't mean anything.

On the downside, imagine all of the 3-way ties. We would need a good system in place to decide those before anything gets going. With 4 divisions of only 4 teams, I bet we would have at least 2 every season.

I think you misinterpreted. Each team would play the other 3 teams in their own division, plus 2 from every other division, and that would rotate.

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 01:12 PM
I think you misinterpreted. Each team would play the other 3 teams in their own division, plus 2 from every other division, and that would rotate. I was responding to Phil's idea, where the winner of each division would basically play a 4 team playoff to decide the champion.

MeMyself&Me
9/1/2011, 01:12 PM

Yuck!

the BIG 10 allegedly won't invite OU because of OU not having the AAU credentials all the other members have, although Nebbish lost theirs shortly after joining the BIG 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

AAU is way overplayed. B1G won't invite us because we have the OSU tumor sticking out the side of our neck. If we could whack that thing off, I'd bet that the B1G would love to have OU and Texas.

OUMallen
9/1/2011, 01:15 PM
Don't forget a return to Boulder...I like that place.

EDIT: The town, not Folsom Field.

I actually thought Folsom, while small, was kinda cool in its own way.

silverwheels
9/1/2011, 01:15 PM
I was responding to Phil's idea, where the winner of each division would basically play a 4 team playoff to decide the champion.

He was talking solely about determining a champion, not saying that you would only play the teams in your division.

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 01:17 PM
Here's how it should be done:

Put all 1a teams in 5 super-conferences of 24 teams each. This comes out to 120 teams, and I think there are 119 1a teams. This works out perfectly.

Each super-conference will have 4 divisions of 6 teams. The 4 winners will play a 4 game playoff to decide the conference champion.

Each of the 5 champions, plus one at large, enters a 6 team playoff for the national championship. Keep the bowl system in place exactly as it is, but simply use the BCS bowls to host the 4 playoff games and title game. One bowl would have to be added obviously, probably a Jerry-world "cotten bowl."

There, I've solved the problem of college football. There is a playoff, no one gets left out, it doesn't add extra weeks on the season, and bowl games can still go on. You're welcome.

IB4OU2
9/1/2011, 01:18 PM
San Francisco?

Cal's in Berkely...

SoonerMom2
9/1/2011, 01:19 PM
Think some poster got the regional networks for the PAC 16 mixed up with how they split the conference for football. The plan would be four regional networks with four teams each. There would be two 8 team divisions in football and a champion chosen in a game at Jerry's World or the Rose Bowl on a rotating basis is what the message boards from the West Coast are saying.

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 01:19 PM
He was talking solely about determining a champion, not saying that you would only play the teams in your division.

Ok, but those games outside of your 4 team division would in essence be non-conference games, as they wouldn't have any bearing on conference standing. Besides perhaps using those games to determine tie-breakers.

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 01:26 PM
Quit ruining this wonderful Pac-16, Clap, clap clap!!! thread with your play off plans, geez!

picasso
9/1/2011, 01:28 PM
Pac-16, Clap, clap clap.
I'm sure you can catch that out west.

cvsooner
9/1/2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but you fly into Frisco or Oakland or San Jose and then drive to Berkeley.

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 01:34 PM
I'm sure you can catch that out west.

What, I don't even get a burp?

humblesooner
9/1/2011, 01:36 PM
While I like the idea of moving PAC, I believe the OU Administration will do everything reasonable to stabilize the current situation and keep the Big XII intact...first.

I think this ship has already sailed and OU knows it.
The administration has done everything it could to stabilize the conference, but I believe they know there is no hope for the B12.
In order for the B12 to remain viable, we need replacementS (plural) with the same prestige as Nebraska, A&M, Colorado.
The B12 can not remain viable and relevant with the addition of teams like SMU,Rice, Houston, Colorado State, Memphis, Louisville, Tulsa, etc.
Since there are no suitable replacements, the B12 is toast.
We all knew it was coming, we just didn't think it would be 12 months after the glue job that was done last year.
OU has done the proper thing and tried to hold the conference together for 12 months.
It is now time to be proactive and get on to our new identity.
Apologies to everyone who this destroys (KU, KSU,MIZZOU, ISU, Baylor, TT), but we have to feed OU now.

ouduckhunter
9/1/2011, 01:39 PM
I'm good with this cuz now I'll be able to see the Sooners play several times a year out here! Can't wait for some road trips down to Cali! Boomer!!

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 01:44 PM
Think some poster got the regional networks for the PAC 16 mixed up with how they split the conference for football. The plan would be four regional networks with four teams each. There would be two 8 team divisions in football and a champion chosen in a game at Jerry's World or the Rose Bowl on a rotating basis is what the message boards from the West Coast are saying.

I think someone was just basically posting an idea, not saying that's how it actually will be. The advantage of doing it that way would be you wouldn't be playing the same 7 teams each year. The downside would be that our fans would have to travel a little more, as we would be playing schools in California, Oregon, and Washington if done this way.

With the 8 team division, which will likely happen, OU would never even go the west coast. (Unless they had us play 1 or 2 cross-division games a season.)

Seamus
9/1/2011, 01:46 PM
San Francisco?

Cal's in Berkely...

Ever fly into the Berkeley airport? :D

Seriously, there are four airports within driving range to Berkeley, and SFO -- while the second closest -- is the last one I'd take. Place is a nightmare.

If cost is not a factor -- and it probably will be -- Oakland is closest and most convenient. San Jose Mineta is OK, and not too far. Sacramento is furthest, about an hour or so away, but the airport is super easy to navigate.

I'm enthralled :eagerness: by this whole scenario. It more or less guarantees two games a year I'll be able to get too on the West Coast. I dig that.

Tear Down This Wall
9/1/2011, 01:52 PM
The SEC is clearly the best choice. And, we are in the position to get in if we'd just pick up the phone and asked.

Unfortunately, we're not looking for better competition.

Also, I still think the Pac-12 balks at UT's television deal. And, since Castiglione and Boren are married to Texas and Oklahoma State, we stand virtually no chance to going SEC.

We need leaders with balls at this point, and we've got followers instead.

So, just settle down and wait for DeLoss Dodds to tell us where we're going.

SoonerMom2
9/1/2011, 01:53 PM
I think someone was just basically posting an idea, not saying that's how it actually will be. The advantage of doing it that way would be you wouldn't be playing the same 7 teams each year. The downside would be that our fans would have to travel a little more, as we would be playing schools in California, Oregon, and Washington if done this way.

With the 8 team division, which will likely happen, OU would never even go the west coast. (Unless they had us play 1 or 2 cross-division games a season.)

It was on an ESPN message board and made no sense until it dawned on me it was the regional network. Looks like it would playing one of the west conference on the road and host one game a year. PAC 10 fan seem to love the idea because it puts them back to the original PAC 8 so they play all their old rivals and only two teams from the East. Makes a lot of sense.

trey
9/1/2011, 01:53 PM
lol

why didn't you also say....

LA?
UCLA plays in Pasadena....

SoonerMom2
9/1/2011, 01:56 PM
Texas is not controlling our destiny -- OU is and the reason for the PAC 10 is a better fit for our whole program not just football. It is on every site that OU is controlling what happens not UT who has stepped back since they know they are the ones responsible for a lot of this. Boren will never depend on UT again after we were ready to jump last summer and UT pulled back thanks to the big bucks of ESPN.

badger
9/1/2011, 01:58 PM
The thing that worries me is all of the other sports, not football.

Travel costs would skyrocket because we're not just transporting football to one west coast game a year under an 8-8 division split. We'd also be busing (or flying) all of our other sports teams to the west coast for Pac competition. I remember Sherri saying that west coast games were killer for the team, because the game would be at night and on the west coast (so like 9 p.m. Oklahoma time), then they'd be returning at like 3 a.m. Oklahoma time. Eep.

There's much more to think about than just football here. If there wasn't, then let's just do what BYU and Domer do --- go indy in football and stay in the Big 12 for every other sport.

pphilfran
9/1/2011, 02:03 PM
The SEC is clearly the best choice. And, we are in the position to get in if we'd just pick up the phone and asked.

Also, I still think the Pac-12 balks at UT's television deal. And, since Castiglione and Boren are married to Texas and Oklahoma State, we stand virtually no chance to going SEC.

The Sooners have handled it perfectly up to this point...they haven't pizzed anybody off...everything they have done has been out of the public eye...a lot of class...

The Sooners are in the drivers seat....they can go to any conference they choose...

MeMyself&Me
9/1/2011, 02:09 PM

Travel costs would skyrocket because we're not just transporting football to one west coast game a year under an 8-8 division split. We'd also be busing (or flying) all of our other sports teams to the west coast for Pac competition. I remember Sherri saying that west coast games were killer for the team, because the game would be at night and on the west coast (so like 9 p.m. Oklahoma time), then they'd be returning at like 3 a.m. Oklahoma time. Eep.

There's much more to think about than just football here. If there wasn't, then let's just do what BYU and Domer do --- go indy in football and stay in the Big 12 for every other sport.

If travel costs are that big of an issue, they can divide all sports into the same divisions that is done with football and limit inter-divisional play. IF it were really that big of a deal, there is a very simple solution.

silverwheels
9/1/2011, 02:11 PM

*facepalm*

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 02:14 PM
If travel costs are that big of an issue, they can divide all sports into the same divisions that is done with football and limit inter-divisional play. IF it were really that big of a deal, there is a very simple solution.

I doubt travel costs are that much, considering how much OU football brings in (and how much more it would bring in if it joined the pac 12). For OU, plane tickets are nickles and dimes. Getting our basketball players back at 3 am on school nights is the worst problem. Maybe we could talk them into playing the games during the middle of the day instead of in the evenings. With DVR's these days, I doubt most people would care that much.

sooneredaco
9/1/2011, 02:25 PM
Can we start a PAC 16, PAC 16, PAC 16.... Chant?

pphilfran
9/1/2011, 02:26 PM

Teams make trips to the coast every year....they would probably limit the non conference games to a closer region...

Softball made two trips to the coast last year...and one to Tempe...they year before they went to Florida, Vegas, and Cali twice...

Baseball went to San Diego and Tempe...year before San Diego and Florida..

Basketball had Hawaii and Tuscon last year and Anchorage, Salt Lake, and Spokane the year before...

This last year womens BB only went to Columbus and Milwaukee..the year before they were globe trotters...Georgia, Army, Cal State, Tenn, Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands...

SoonerAtKU
9/1/2011, 02:33 PM
The SEC is clearly the best choice.

I'll bite.

Why?

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 02:38 PM
I'll bite.

Why?

Cause they gots them LSU Tigahs!!!

sooneredaco
9/1/2011, 02:40 PM
Can we start a PAC 16, PAC 16, PAC 16.... Chant?

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 02:42 PM
I already did, it is Pac-16, Clap, clap, clap!!!

Stooper
9/1/2011, 02:56 PM
I think this is going to happen, there were several times that Stoops voiced that he liked the idea of going when all of this talk started last year. I like the idea of getting SUC at our place, and we would have some great on the road weather for those Nov. games, instead of the cold and snow all the time in Manhatten and Lawrence. Anyway, we won the final BiG 12 Championship game, now lets go win the final Championship of the BIG 12, pack up all of our conference and hopefully 8 national championships and head west!!

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoonerMom2
9/1/2011, 03:10 PM
Transportation costs going up for basketball when our teams already play all over the Country makes no sense. Schedule games on the west coast on the weekend and problem solved for time difference. With a 16 team league, you are not going to play every west coast team twice a year. More like play 14 games with the Eastern Division and then 4 games with the western division so two on the west coast and two at home.

jkjsooner
9/1/2011, 03:48 PM

This would be cool but there would be 2 huge hurdles.

1. The NCAA - SEC had to get approval to have their championship game years ago but I think it would take even more work to get the NCAA to agree to three additional games.

2. The coaches - Too many of them don't like the championship games and I can't see them agreeing to yet another game to limit their national title chances.

Landthief 1972
9/1/2011, 04:00 PM

That's just what I want, to take my kids and grandkids to a game in Norman and have those mouthbreathers from LSU stumbling around screamin' "TIGAH BAIT!" and throwing beer and urine on us when we play in their slum. Do you really want to be part of a conference that goes around chanting "SEC SEC SEC" like some kind of cult?

Dodds has lost the reins. We did it his way so he could get his precious Shorthorn Network, now we're all getting bit in the ***. Beebe has run the conference into the ground. He's the Darth Vader to Dodds' Emperor, only shorter and without the balls. Or any cool Force powers.

Phil
9/1/2011, 04:01 PM
Four superconferences with four four-team divisions each, with conference semifinals and championship games, and the BCS with a plus-1. Anyone care to tell me what that looks like? Bueller? Bueller?

This would be cool but there would be 2 huge hurdles.

1. The NCAA - SEC had to get approval to have their championship game years ago but I think it would take even more work to get the NCAA to agree to three additional games.

2. The coaches - Too many of them don't like the championship games and I can't see them agreeing to yet another game to limit their national title chances.

SoonerAtKU
9/1/2011, 04:04 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work with the four divisions. It works in the pros, and they don't normally have trouble determining who gets a first round bye/home field advantage into the playoffs for each conference. Since you're just picking the top two in the conference, it should be no difference. Hell, they even factor in point differential since they don't have BCS ranking to go by.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/1/2011, 04:05 PM
I'll bite.

Why?

Cause TDTW says so. Haven't you seen his 500 similar rants in these realignment threads about how Boren and Joe C have no balls because they won't bend to his will.

Barry's_Scowl
9/1/2011, 04:09 PM
I, for one, welcome our new Pac-16 overlords.

MeMyself&Me
9/1/2011, 04:13 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work with the four divisions. It works in the pros, and they don't normally have trouble determining who gets a first round bye/home field advantage into the playoffs for each conference. Since you're just picking the top two in the conference, it should be no difference. Hell, they even factor in point differential since they don't have BCS ranking to go by.

This ain't the pros...

Sooner_Tuf
9/1/2011, 04:21 PM
Man I would like to be over at some of your houses when the Publishers Clearinhouse Sweepstakes Entry Form arrives.

Let's wait and see what OU has to say. Just because a writer in Austin says something doesn't make it so.

If everyone thinks Texas isn't still carrying a big stick you're nuts. Who knows maybe Texas is setting OU up to take the blame for the failure of the Big XII.

Reality hasn't changed because a guy who writes for the Austin American Statesman publishes a sensational article.

S008NER
9/1/2011, 05:20 PM
Notice the silence from joe and boren. No statements like we are commited to the big 12-2-1. No leaks..nothing.

PLaw
9/1/2011, 05:28 PM
Bohls' article is a subtle attempt to shift the blame of the conference implosion away from whorn.

In the 3 threads that refer to this AAS article already, there is no indication or source referenced that show OU is even considering moving. Bohls only refers to last year to base this article from, painting OU as the impetus.

It's not subtle at all - it is plain and in your face. "*" can never admit any complicity with anything this catastrophic. Way to go Deloss!! I hope the TLN becomes a boat anchor that drowns "*".

BOOMER

C&CDean
9/1/2011, 06:06 PM
I, for one, welcome our new Pac-16 bitches.

fixed

Sooner5030
9/1/2011, 06:20 PM
didn't read all 6 pages but I am sure "conference" pride is probably the biggest motivator to hastily jump ship.

Revenue & BCS probability are the most important factors in this decision......not bragging to your friends at work that OU is in the "best" conference.

I don't like the idea of 14-16 team conferences. If it is inevitable then OU can jump at the time it occurs. We won't be left out.

OU/UT/OSU going to the PAC adds more to that conference than the delta in revenue that those three would see. If we maintain a BCS AQ conference and TV revenues stay then the B12 is prolly the best option.

IMO

Sooner_Tuf
9/1/2011, 06:25 PM
Maybe we need to start reaching out to some of the better schools nationwide and build our own super conference. After all we hold ALL the cards :/

silverwheels
9/1/2011, 06:27 PM
A regional conference would have been best, but the Big 12 lost 3 of its biggest brands and is looking at programs like Houston and SMU to replace one or more of them. If we add 1 to 3 mid-majors (assuming BYU says no), I can't imagine that the Big 12 will have much to offer to ESPN and FOX. The Big 12 needs to be done away with at this point.

cleller
9/1/2011, 06:28 PM
Two questions:
Do west coasters really believe Mack played Roscoe P. Coltrane on The Dukes of Hazzard?
Does Gumby and his 80's era 90210 hair-do really have to tag along?

SoonerinSouthlake
9/1/2011, 06:30 PM
Wow...how fired up are the USC faithful with the prospect of a roadtrip to Stoolwater

kevpks
9/1/2011, 06:31 PM
Wow...how fired up are the USC faithful with the prospect of a roadtrip to Stoolwater

And how fired up are they that we'll be recruiting even more players from SoCal.

ouwino
9/1/2011, 07:16 PM
think of the marketing possiblities ... okie lite vs oregon st every year on halloween weekend. :tears_of_joy:

jumperstop
9/1/2011, 07:29 PM
think of the marketing possiblities ... okie lite vs oregon st every year on halloween weekend. :tears_of_joy:

If this goes through. Talking about both those teams could get real confusing.

bluedogok
9/1/2011, 07:45 PM
I doubt travel costs are that much, considering how much OU football brings in (and how much more it would bring in if it joined the pac 12). For OU, plane tickets are nickles and dimes. Getting our basketball players back at 3 am on school nights is the worst problem. Maybe we could talk them into playing the games during the middle of the day instead of in the evenings. With DVR's these days, I doubt most people would care that much.
For the "other sports" you could have the games in the Pac-West on weekends and games within the Pac-East on the weekdays. That would put games with Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah with only a one hour time difference most of the year and a little shorter travel times. So in effect it wouldn't be much different than the old travel with games at Colorado that happened forever with the Big 8/12.

soonerboomer93
9/1/2011, 08:47 PM
Quit ruining this wonderful Pac-16, Clap, clap clap!!! thread with your play off plans, geez!

I'd have to care enough to clap

ouwasp
9/1/2011, 08:49 PM

heh... just this past weekend I was at the superTarget on 71st and 169 in Tulsa...right past the OU gear was a buncha poke stuff... and a rack of Oregon St Beaver shirts! Pretty much blended right in with the ugly poke stuff. Wonder what dumbazz was responsible for that order? Wonder if some DA poke fan will buy a Beaver shirt thinking it's some of the new Nike apparel? Where's shocked cowboy icon when I need it?

soonerboomer93
9/1/2011, 09:01 PM
IMO PAC-12 is the 3rd best place we could end up, it isn't much better that a 9 team Big-12 and would look as if we dodged the SEC.

1. SEC
2. Big 10
3. PAC 12
4. Big East/ACC Combo Conference.

We don't play Big 10 football (and I mean this in a good way) and we recruit nationally but aren't exactly aiming for a ton of recruits out of that area of the country. The advantage of the Big 10 is that, quite frankly we'd probably own it and it would be the easiest route to conference and nc championship appearances, and the automatic rose bowl birth doesn't hurt. Honestly, OU's current brand of offense is probably more in style with the PAC12 then the big 10'or SEC.

wishbonesooner
9/1/2011, 09:03 PM
If we can't replace Nebraska, Colorado, and A&M with programs just as good, why would we want to play in some lame *** conference? Let's do this Pac 12 thing. The Big 12 was a good thing, but it's over. Time to move on, new schools that need an *** kicking from the Sooners!

Sooner_Havok
9/1/2011, 09:05 PM
I actually saw a couple of people wearing Oregon State stuff at the last OU/puke game in Norman. I was a bit confused, but whatever, I have been to a non-OU game before wearing my OU gear, maybe this is just an odd happenstance.

Beaver gear folks cheer for state, boo OU, this is getting odd. Half time rolls around, Beaver gear folk decide to start chatting with me. They don't sound like they are from the Pacific Northwest. I have been told I don't sound like I am from Oklahoma though, so I decide to go ahead and ask them what brings them down from Oregon to Oklahoma. Beaver gear guys **** the heads and look at me like I just said something in a foreign language. They inform me that they are not from Oregon, and have no idea why I would think they were a bunch of hippies. As I am about to point out that they are wearing Oregon State gear, I stop, not wanting to point out to them that their hats and jerseys said "Go Beaves!" I realize they went to Wal Mart, saw orange and black crap on sale, and bought it.

Game goes on, *** whipping gets worse, Beaver-pukes get more and more annoying. They decide to leave early, on there way out I decide to point out to these jerks that they are wearing Oregon State gear. They look at each-others hats and Jerseys, then tell me I am retarded. I then point out that Oregon states mascot is the Beaver, it then hits them, go Beaves wasn't some awesome new farm related sexual thing. Aggie light then storms off, hiding shame of wrong gear.

http://www.webmastertalkforums.com/attachments/ask-me/1767d1312329854-ask-me-lowrider-sti-funny-date-girl-guy-true-story-meme-jpg

soonerboomer93
9/1/2011, 09:19 PM

The athletic department already makes money, considering that the contenders have bigger TV contracts, travel cost probably matters little. What matters is the loss of regional rivalries that fans can easily attend.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/1/2011, 09:24 PM
It's just a jump to the left ...

BigTip
9/1/2011, 09:27 PM
I actually saw a couple of people wearing Oregon State stuff at the last OU/puke game in Norman. I was a bit confused, but whatever, I have been to a non-OU game before wearing my OU gear, maybe this is just an odd happenstance.

Beaver gear folks cheer for state, boo OU, this is getting odd. Half time rolls around, Beaver gear folk decide to start chatting with me. They don't sound like they are from the Pacific Northwest. I have been told I don't sound like I am from Oklahoma though, so I decide to go ahead and ask them what brings them down from Oregon to Oklahoma. Beaver gear guys **** the heads and look at me like I just said something in a foreign language. They inform me that they are not from Oregon, and have no idea why I would think they were a bunch of hippies. As I am about to point out that they are wearing Oregon State gear, I stop, not wanting to point out to them that their hats and jerseys said "Go Beaves!" I realize they went to Wal Mart, saw orange and black crap on sale, and bought it.

Game goes on, *** whipping gets worse, Beaver-pukes get more and more annoying. They decide to leave early, on there way out I decide to point out to these jerks that they are wearing Oregon State gear. They look at each-others hats and Jerseys, then tell me I am retarded. I then point out that Oregon states mascot is the Beaver, it then hits them, go Beaves wasn't some awesome new farm related sexual thing. Aggie light then storms off, hiding shame of wrong gear.

http://www.webmastertalkforums.com/attachments/ask-me/1767d1312329854-ask-me-lowrider-sti-funny-date-girl-guy-true-story-meme-jpg

That story's so.....so..........perfectly aggie.

SoonerMarkVA
9/1/2011, 09:31 PM

Call it the Jack(***)-O-Lantern battle.

goingoneight
9/1/2011, 09:32 PM
I'm just wondering if we bring some Southern football to the PAC 12 if we'd have a Liberals division and a Conservatives division. :apthy:

8timechamps
9/1/2011, 10:40 PM
Can someone explain to me why some folks think a move to the SEC would be better than a move to the PAC?

Are that many people really brainwashed to think the SEC is the greatest conference to ever exist? I'll give them the credit they deserve, they've won the last 5 titles, and they have some of the best teams in the country, but it's not like Vanderbilt, Kentucky or even Ole Miss could walk into Norman and bitchslap us.

A move to the PAC (with Texas, OSU and Tech), and you have a conference that fields as many good teams as the SEC. What is the SEC gonna do, get Notre Dame in an expansion? It's not like there are tons of great schools out there just waiting for a SEC invite...if that were the case, the Big XII would be all over them.

The ACC isn't going anywhere, if anything they'll be the conference to expand. So, let's say the ACC takes on the Big East (for football), the SEC will get the leftovers, which I doubt they would take.

The point is, outside of Alabama, is there a team in the SEC that could challenge the Sooners right now (or on a regular basis)? Maybe LSU, maybe Florida...the same could be said for Oregon and Stanford...and we know it's a matter of time before USC recovers. Arizona and Arizona State are good teams, and Utah is right there.

I say the competition in a PAC16 would be just as good as the SEC. With less cricket eatin' SEC fans and more west coast sunshine.

Lott's Bandana
9/1/2011, 10:51 PM
I actually thought Folsom, while small, was kinda cool in its own way.

True, I'll clarify. Folsom's fans.

delhalew
9/1/2011, 11:04 PM
Can someone explain to me why some folks think a move to the SEC would be better than a move to the PAC?

Are that many people really brainwashed to think the SEC is the greatest conference to ever exist? I'll give them the credit they deserve, they've won the last 5 titles, and they have some of the best teams in the country, but it's not like Vanderbilt, Kentucky or even Ole Miss could walk into Norman and bitchslap us.

A move to the PAC (with Texas, OSU and Tech), and you have a conference that fields as many good teams as the SEC. What is the SEC gonna do, get Notre Dame in an expansion? It's not like there are tons of great schools out there just waiting for a SEC invite...if that were the case, the Big XII would be all over them.

The ACC isn't going anywhere, if anything they'll be the conference to expand. So, let's say the ACC takes on the Big East (for football), the SEC will get the leftovers, which I doubt they would take.

The point is, outside of Alabama, is there a team in the SEC that could challenge the Sooners right now (or on a regular basis)? Maybe LSU, maybe Florida...the same could be said for Oregon and Stanford...and we know it's a matter of time before USC recovers. Arizona and Arizona State are good teams, and Utah is right there.

I say the competition in a PAC16 would be just as good as the SEC. With less cricket eatin' SEC fans and more west coast sunshine.

In the SEC, football is more important than waxing your surfboard or baking a batch of pot brownies...or most anything. I can respect that.

sooner59
9/1/2011, 11:11 PM
IF...we could maintain a decent 12 team league, our present alignment is best. But that ain't happening. I like the PAC better for two reasons. Under the current BCS system, If we joined the SEC when everybody was going to 16, then it would be murderers row. Sure to be the best you have to beat the best. But using simple logic says the easier path the "more" chances at the title is in the PAC. And the second is I would rather travel to the west locations than the east locations. The SE United States is a sweltering ****hole. I know. I have been to all of those states but Kentucky and South Carolina. Their fans are ****heads....aside for a few teams including Bama. On top of that. LSU is in that conference. Any conference with LSU is covered with vomit in my book.

EatLeadCommie
9/1/2011, 11:12 PM
That this news is coming out of Austin and not Norman should make everybody suspicious. I think this stuff is being planted by Austin, not so that OU, UT, TT, and OSU go to the Pac 16, but so that UT goes independent. OU, OSU, KU, KSU to the Pac 12. UT has no desire to let another conference get inroads into Texas' recruiting grounds.

MR2-Sooner86
9/1/2011, 11:23 PM

http://www.untuckedshirts.com/b3s/funny/speechless.gif

delhalew
9/1/2011, 11:24 PM
IF...we could maintain a decent 12 team league, our present alignment is best. But that ain't happening. I like the PAC better for two reasons. Under the current BCS system, If we joined the SEC when everybody was going to 16, then it would be murderers row. Sure to be the best you have to beat the best. But using simple logic says the easier path the "more" chances at the title is in the PAC. And the second is I would rather travel to the west locations than the east locations. The SE United States is a sweltering ****hole. I know. I have been to all of those states but Kentucky and South Carolina. Their fans are ****heads....aside for a few teams including Bama. On top of that. LSU is in that conference. Any conference with LSU is covered with vomit in my book.

I disagree. The south is lovely, and so are the people. Even Louisiana is a nice place to visit. We can't expect every fanbase to behave like us or Nebraska. Visiting fans to Baton Rouge are treated like trash. Sack up and deal with it. Eat some free gumbo and drink a beer.

Murderers row is always a good thing. When you make that appearance in the championship game, you are ready to throw down.

sooner59
9/2/2011, 12:30 AM
As somebody who has lived his entire life in the south and traveled throughout the southeast, I simple disagree. Not about it being beautiful as a whole, but as a whole being more beautiful than the west. And a friend of mine went to the BCS title game in 2003 against LSU. He went with his dad and dealt with all the BS before the game. He said OU fans were outnumbered about 20,000 to 120,000. After LSU won, they were going back to their car and had to scurry away from LSU fans trying to fight them, then were pelted with glass beer bottles. Sack up and deal with it? F*ck that and f*ck them. They are trash and OU doesn't even need to lower themselves to that.

prrriiide
9/2/2011, 01:11 AM

For one thing, since the SEC was formed in 1933, their teams have won 19 national championships, distributed across 6 different programs: Tennessee (2), Auburn (2), LSU (3), Bama (8), Georgia (1), and Florida (3). During the same time period, the Pac has won 10, distributed over 3 different programs: UCLA (1), Washington (1), and USC (8). If you want to be the best, beat the best. And an SEC school has been the best on a more consistent basis than a Pac school.

It comes down to a long-standing tradition of great football throughout the conference. The SEC has it, and outside of USC, the PAC doesn't. I would take trips to Tuscaloosa, Athens, Columbia, Knoxville (if I didn't already live here...), and even Oxford with the traditions, tailgating, and general atmosphere over any school in the Pac.

The campuses and stadiums in the SEC are hallowed ground. Much like at OU, even the most casual fan is a rabid one. Like OU, on game day an SEC stadium is durn near a cathedral.

Jhorts and corn dogs aside, when it comes to football and tradition, OU has far more in common with the SEC programs than the Pac programs, besides USC.

I disagree. The south is lovely, and so are the people. Even Louisiana is a nice place to visit. We can't expect every fanbase to behave like us or Nebraska. Visiting fans to Baton Rouge are treated like trash. Sack up and deal with it. Eat some free gumbo and drink a beer.

Murderers row is always a good thing. When you make that appearance in the championship game, you are ready to throw down.

I totally agree. FWIW, every SEC fan that I know that doesn't wear purple and gold thinks the LSU fans are the worst in the nation. NOBODY likes LSU fans, especially in the SEC.

I live in one of theose "sweltering ****hole" states. After living in Oklahoma for nearly 30 years and Tennessee for 15, I can tell you that the weather in the SE beats the weather in Oklahoma 99 days out of 100. And the only SEC fans that are ****heads are the LSU fans. Tennessee, Bama, Kentucky, S. Carolina, Jawja, Ole Miss, Arky, Miss. St. - I'd put any of those fan bases up against OU's or Nebbish's when it comes to classy fans. They're knowledgeable, and they respect the hell out of OU.

Those Johnny-come-latelys on the west coast wouldn't know a football tradition if you busted them upside the head with it.

prrriiide
9/2/2011, 01:32 AM
As somebody who has lived his entire life in the south and traveled throughout the southeast, I simple disagree. Not about it being beautiful as a whole, but as a whole being more beautiful than the west. And a friend of mine went to the BCS title game in 2003 against LSU. He went with his dad and dealt with all the BS before the game. He said OU fans were outnumbered about 20,000 to 120,000. After LSU won, they were going back to their car and had to scurry away from LSU fans trying to fight them, then were pelted with glass beer bottles. Sack up and deal with it? F*ck that and f*ck them. They are trash and OU doesn't even need to lower themselves to that.

Again, you're talking about LSU. Outside of Loosyanna, SEC fans think they're a damned disgrace to the conference, and they'll tell you that. Nobody said that the SE is more beautiful than the west. That's moronic, with the incredible geography out there. But it isn't the white trash wasteland you make it out to be, either.

But if you are a fan of college football - the tradition, the pageantry, the competition, and the culture - the PAC can't hold the SEC's jockstrap.

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 01:36 AM
That this news is coming out of Austin and not Norman should make everybody suspicious. I think this stuff is being planted by Austin, not so that OU, UT, TT, and OSU go to the Pac 16, but so that UT goes independent. OU, OSU, KU, KSU to the Pac 12. UT has no desire to let another conference get inroads into Texas' recruiting grounds.

I doubt it. UT couldn't make it as an independent, and I think Dodds knows it. And they don't want to be independent, anyway. They want the money that an independent gets while parading it in the faces of lesser conference members, which is why they tried so hard to keep the Big 12 together. If a Pac-12 offer is on the table and Boren takes it, Texas is left in a tough spot and the best thing for them to do is to tuck tail and come with us.

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 01:37 AM
If the University of Oklahoma were just a football team, then yes, the SEC would be the best move. But it's an academic institution first and foremost, and as a growing research school, the Pac-12 is the best place.

sooner59
9/2/2011, 01:51 AM
If the University of Oklahoma were just a football team, then yes, the SEC would be the best move. But it's an academic institution first and foremost, and as a growing research school, the Pac-12 is the best place.

Yes.

BASSooner
9/2/2011, 02:07 AM
Ding ding ding. We have a winner!

sooner59
9/2/2011, 02:17 AM
As much as I love the OU football team...which is ingrained in me....I also received my bachelors and master from OU. And I like the strides we have seen in past 6 or 7 years to make our campus a better academic university. Boren has been building and building. New business building. New Journalism building. New Architecture building. Add on to the Physics building. New Stephenson Research facility. Two new petroleum engineering buildings...Exxon and Devon. I started at OU in 2003 and it has nearly doubled in size it seems like. OU is surging academically. The Big 10 will realize once we eventually go to the PAC that they ****ed up and they will have to scavenge the Big East for awful programs who aren't much better academically.

Okie35
9/2/2011, 02:20 AM
I'd rather go Pac 12 than SEC too

BASSooner
9/2/2011, 02:50 AM
As much as I love the OU football team...which is ingrained in me....I also received my bachelors and master from OU. And I like the strides we have seen in past 6 or 7 years to make our campus a better academic university. Boren has been building and building. New business building. New Journalism building. New Architecture building. Add on to the Physics building. New Stephenson Research facility. Two new petroleum engineering buildings...Exxon and Devon. I started at OU in 2003 and it has nearly doubled in size it seems like. OU is surging academically. The Big 10 will realize once we eventually go to the PAC that they ****ed up and they will have to scavenge the Big East for awful programs who aren't much better academically.

Amen. I just graduated in May with 2 bachelors. I have seen first hand and also read how great OU's academics are and how much better they are getting. Pac-12 is OUr future home and it's reputation is ONLY going to get better!

Sooner_Tuf
9/2/2011, 02:57 AM
I think it would be cool to play in the SEC. I'm not sure how being in the PAC helps us academically. To be honest I don't care if the Big XII survives. I think the South is a lot better place to visit than most people are giving credit and on the flip side a lot of out west places aren't as cool as some are thinking they are.

They are both fine with me. I trust OU will make the best decision for OU. That is what I want.

That said I would rather not join the Big 10. I have been to quite a few of those cities and honestly Lincoln is a better trip by far. Some of them are ok as far as places go but they are so crowded you can't do anything. You'll find a lot of Cali to be the same way without the flaming couches. I like Arizona a lot I lived there for a few years many years ago. Most of those people couldn't care less about ASU, or U of A Football.

I don't know about Utah, great place to visit but never been to a game there. It could be a fantastic trip.

I will add that most of the SEC schools offer a really good game day atmosphere. I would guess better than anything the PAC has to offer. I have never been to a USC game but the campus is located in the ghetto, where do they play their games now? Are they back at the coliseum?

Whatever it ends up being it will still be OU Football and it will still be fun.

ouflak
9/2/2011, 03:46 AM
I think many of you are discrediting these SEC institutions. They are also universities of higher learning and not just places that 'play football'. Now granted, Ole Miss will probably never lead the way in anything except perhaps... insect research... maybe... and I guess race relations or something like that. But Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee in particular are standout institutions academically and research-wise.

Also, having spent a significant part of my childhood in SEC country, I can vouch for the beauty of some of these parts of the country. Having attended a couple of Auburn games, I can say that the gameday atmospheres were comparable to any OU game I've attended.

delhalew
9/2/2011, 06:59 AM
Again, you're talking about LSU. Outside of Loosyanna, SEC fans think they're a damned disgrace to the conference, and they'll tell you that. Nobody said that the SE is more beautiful than the west. That's moronic, with the incredible geography out there. But it isn't the white trash wasteland you make it out to be, either.

But if you are a fan of college football - the tradition, the pageantry, the competition, and the culture - the PAC can't hold the SEC's jockstrap.

This. You guys WILL be disappointed with the fans, tradition, and feel of games in the PAC.

Silly me for forgetting that playing the SEC in football will cause us to cease being an academic institution. That isn't ludicrous or anything.

delhalew
9/2/2011, 07:00 AM
Ding ding ding. We have a wiener!

Fixed that for you.

Taxman71
9/2/2011, 07:18 AM
Moving to the SEC means 1-day ROADTRIPS to all but a few road sites as well as a ton of visiting fans to Norman/OKC (remember the Bama caravan in 2002?). Pac-10 means the occasional airplane ride to a road game to a 2/3 full stadium and very small visiting fans.

Remind me whether the athletic conference's priority is athletics or academics? If the Pac-10 is automatic academic status, where does Arizona, Arizona St, Wazzu and Oreg St rank academically?

pphilfran
9/2/2011, 07:37 AM
Moving to the SEC means 1-day ROADTRIPS to all but a few road sites as well as a ton of visiting fans to Norman/OKC (remember the Bama caravan in 2002?). Pac-10 means the occasional airplane ride to a road game to a 2/3 full stadium and very small visiting fans.

Remind me whether the athletic conference's priority is athletics or academics? If the Pac-10 is automatic academic status, where does Arizona, Arizona St, Wazzu and Oreg St rank academically?

Other than the hogs it is still at least a good 12 hour drive to most all SEC schools

Lawton4Life
9/2/2011, 08:50 AM
I think there might be too much attention paid to the road trip locations. How many fans were consitantly trekking up to Ames? Ames was really really far. I think most fans go to a road game if they're close ( I go to Waco and College Station and Lubbock and Dallas and Ft Worth games) and then pick a few marquee road games every couple of years to go to (like Lincoln or Notre Dame or Chicago back in 98)

Now that I'm older and have a family and what not there is no way I could go to a road game in say oregon, then two weeks later go to a title game that could be in LA and THEN on top of that try to go to a bowl or the NC that could be in LA, NOLA, Phoenix or Miami.

SoonerAtKU
9/2/2011, 09:14 AM
Boulder was a fairly long trip for most of the old Big XII area. College Station to there is a hell of a drive. Ames, too, I'm sure.

SoonerAtKU
9/2/2011, 09:15 AM
Also, if the Pac 16 happens, they need to build a state of the art stadium in Vegas to permanently host the championship game and whatever bowls they can. Now that would be a destination every year...

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2011, 09:20 AM
I don't see fan preferences as having much influence on conference realignment. I guess what fans want is indirectly factored into the networks' perception of what fans want when they put together the coverage contracts.

Sooner5030
9/2/2011, 09:33 AM
IMO SEC and PAC14 equal fewer OOC games with less caliber opponents. As long as the BIG12-x maintains AQ status and revenues are acceptable we will likely stay. The OU/Texas gem is too valuable to just give up to another conference for free because our fanbase is in a panic about conference bragging rights.

again...compare the change in revenues with the change in probability of playing for a title and good OOC games and staying put is the better decision.

jkjsooner
9/2/2011, 09:37 AM
This. You guys WILL be disappointed with the fans, tradition, and feel of games in the PAC.

Silly me for forgetting that playing the SEC in football will cause us to cease being an academic institution. That isn't ludicrous or anything.

I agree that it is silly but perception is reality when it comes to reputation, research grants, etc.

I think many of you are discrediting these SEC institutions. They are also universities of higher learning and not just places that 'play football'. Now granted, Ole Miss will probably never lead the way in anything except perhaps... insect research... maybe... and I guess race relations or something like that. But Georgia, Florida and Tennessee

Also don't forget Vandy. Anyway, nobody is saying that there aren't good academic instititions in the SEC and there are definitely higher ranked institutions than OU but a move to the PAC would be a step up in academic prestige over the SEC.

OULenexaman
9/2/2011, 09:44 AM
SEC...Pac 16....I really don't give a **** either way....I'll be happy with either one. Just give me my damn medicine and get it over with. :eagerness:

Lawton4Life
9/2/2011, 10:01 AM
Man, I dont give a **** how loud the fans are...I just want to win. I'd rather everyone in Collie Station sit on their hands, make it easier for us.

HA

ouflak
9/2/2011, 10:15 AM
When I was doing my regular driving-back-home trips to Pensacola, Florida from Norman, I averaged 12 hours a trip. If I went a southerly route, I passed by Ole Miss, LSU (1/2 hour detour), was just 1.5 detour away from A&M and/or Mississippi State. If I took a northerly route, I passed by Arkansas, Tennessee and Alabama. Heck I've taken bus trips that did the journey, both routes, in just over 13 hours, and that was with stops and breaks along the way!

ouflak
9/2/2011, 10:21 AM
I agree that it is silly but perception is reality when it comes to reputation, research grants, etc.

Yeah, it's not like the Big XII-II-I was a Foundational Pillar of the academic world. Heck this experiment of a conference is only 15 years old and failing at that. Let's just be realistic here alright. Being a member of SEC isn't going to affect any grant, or reputation, any more or less than being a member of the Big 8 or Big XII-II-I ever did.

the-rover
9/2/2011, 10:50 AM
IMO SEC and PAC14 equal fewer OOC games with less caliber opponents. As long as the BIG12-x maintains AQ status and revenues are acceptable we will likely stay. The OU/Texas gem is too valuable to just give up to another conference for free because our fanbase is in a panic about conference bragging rights.

again...compare the change in revenues with the change in probability of playing for a title and good OOC games and staying put is the better decision.

Not saying the Big 12-whatever will not retain AQ status, but perception is everything.

And, what difference does it make which conference the OU-UT game belongs to? Besides, it doesn't matter whether or not OU stays in the same conference as UT, that game will go on. I'd rather leave all them Texas teams behind......let them reform the old SWC.

delhalew
9/2/2011, 11:04 AM
When I was doing my regular driving-back-home trips to Pensacola, Florida from Norman, I averaged 12 hours a trip. If I went a southerly route, I passed by Ole Miss, LSU (1/2 hour detour), was just 1.5 detour away from A&M and/or Mississippi State. If I took a northerly route, I passed by Arkansas, Tennessee and Alabama. Heck I've taken bus trips that did the journey, both routes, in just over 13 hours, and that was with stops and breaks along the way!

It's an easy drive. Our fans could take a tip from SEC fans, and rv to the tailgate spots. They all have good set ups.

GreenSooner
9/2/2011, 12:10 PM
Yeah, it's not like the Big XII-II-I was a Foundational Pillar of the academic world. Heck this experiment of a conference is only 15 years old and failing at that. Let's just be realistic here alright. Being a member of SEC isn't going to affect any grant, or reputation, any more or less than being a member of the Big 8 or Big XII-II-I ever did.

In fact, many arguments about, e.g., salary, funding, and tuition are made relative to a university's peer institutions which, rightly or wrongly, are often defined by athletic conference. I agree that there's no good reason in the world why the schools that an institution chooses to compete directly against in intercollegiate athletics should define its academic peer group, but that's the world we live in. Joining the PAC 16 would be a significant upgrade in OU's peer group; joining the SEC would not.

And say what you will about the Big XII, adding the four Texas schools to the old Big 8 clearly increased the academic quality of the schools in the conference.

sooner n houston
9/2/2011, 01:03 PM
I think y'all are forgetting the strong alliance between the Texas and OU admins. What ever is happening now is what THEY belive is best for their University's, collectively. They are also taking into consideration what is best for other confrence members. I am thinking that OU and UT are playing a game right now. They want to get ND to make a commitment, probably secretly for now, and therefore BYU make a public commentment to move to the BIG XII. If not, its off to the PAC!

FaninAma
9/2/2011, 03:16 PM
Just my WAG but if the Big1G and the SEC perceive that they are about to get surpassed by the new superconference out West then I think that an all out bidding war will start for Texas and Oklahoma. It should be very interesting.

The other option will be for the SEC and Big1G to become predators and actively try to entice the primier teams of the ACC to join their conferences.

Sorry Big East but you don't have any primier teams.

But make no mistake about it, OU and Texas are the big prizes in the realignment wars and I especially don't see the SEC letting them go without an effort.

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 04:10 PM
Texas (fairly or unfairly) looks down upon the SEC academically (and I guess Boren does, too). I'd be pretty surprised if that's where they end up should the super-conference **** hit the fan.

soonervegas
9/2/2011, 04:20 PM
I think we are staying right where we are at....I can't wait to see this summer's write up on how Bebee saved the conference again with the addition of Air Force, Pitt, and Houston.

the-rover
9/2/2011, 04:24 PM
I think we are staying right where we are at....I can't wait to see this summer's write up on how Bebee saved the conference again with the addition of Air Force, Pitt, and Houston.

This will make me puke. I don't care if it's SEC, PAC or B1G, just pick one and get it over with, Boren.

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 04:25 PM

Or North Texas, New Mexico State, and up-and-comers McNeese State out of Looooosiana.

SoonerMom2
9/2/2011, 04:52 PM
Boone Pickens to the rescue -- he wants TCU! Who died and made him king of the Big 12 -- would be a great reason for OU to go anywhere without little brother just to get rid of him. Maybe he can use his millions to start his own conference so OSU can win a championship.

the-rover
9/2/2011, 05:06 PM
Boone Pickens to the rescue -- he wants TCU! Who died and made him king of the Big 12 -- would be a great reason for OU to go anywhere without little brother just to get rid of him. Maybe he can use his millions to start his own conference so OSU can win a championship.

I think that's what UT is trying to do...get rid of their competition so they can win a championship.

All I know is, if Boren does not want us affiliated with the SEC because of academic perception, he better not leave us in a conference with the likes of the former SWC.

SoonerMom2
9/2/2011, 05:13 PM
I think that's what UT is trying to do...get rid of their competition so they can win a championship.

All I know is, if Boren does not want us affiliated with the SEC because of academic perception, he better not leave us in a conference with the likes of the former SWC.

I agree with you 100%! I read the part about Boone Pickens on The Oklahoman site and wanted to throw up.

trwxxa
9/2/2011, 06:38 PM
Sounds like things may be moving.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/09/ou-appears-to-be-shopping-around-and-the-big-12-appears-to-be-on-life-support/

I tend not to worry about newspaper blogs, but there are quotes from Boren

BASSooner
9/2/2011, 07:02 PM
For some of your sakes, I hope that OU can't/won't get into a legitimate conference. That way you can still get 10+ wins a year without being tested on the football field, and still don't have to worry about academic pressures like you would be expected to maintain in all of the other conferences.

Sorry ain't happenin. You can always dream though if it makes you feel better.

Sabanball
9/2/2011, 07:30 PM

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/09/ou-appears-to-be-shopping-around-and-the-big-12-appears-to-be-on-life-support/

Pretty strong talk from David Boren. You guys are definitely headed west.

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 07:31 PM
Frozen Sooner is my hero.

EatLeadCommie
9/2/2011, 09:11 PM

I love Pinkel's comment at the end... "Without question there are some issues that other leagues don’t have. You don’t hear anything about any other league in the country having these problems. And we all know where it starts…"

Soonermagik
9/2/2011, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I agree!! Boren sounds like he's not going to stick around in a watered down conference. I think it's funny how Pinkel implied the whole mess is due to Texas. ESPN just reported Boren said a definitive answer will be given in 3 weeks. Sounds like enough time to sign contracts and get a deal put together.

soonerboomer93
9/2/2011, 09:18 PM
Pretty strong talk from David Boren. You guys are definitely headed west.

Not necessarily, I really don't think that the University wants to head west, or east or anywhere. I think they want to stay in conference with our Traditional Rivals, with our regional, easy to travel to locations. I wouldn't be suprised if we did raid the Big East. Those really are the much more viable targets then some MWC teams (and anything less then an independatnt or MWC shouldn't be targetted). We should also take the same approach as the SEC, only expand into new states/markets.

Lott's Bandana
9/2/2011, 09:50 PM
What Pinkel said.
Was.
Awesome.

Soonermagik
9/2/2011, 10:03 PM
I hate to say this, but I think both Texas and OU should stick together. We have the best rivalry going. We have proven our admins can work together and it benefits both schools. It's like staying in a bad marriage, but you realize the other one offers something huge in return that makes you stay.

Hey Whorns, let's be miserable together and make a fortune doing it!!! In religion, God needs the devil. You can figure out who is who. ;) Let's head West together and beat on the Trojans and Ducks!!!

Veritas
9/2/2011, 10:04 PM
Die on that ****ing LHN hill, whorns.

Please make my dreams come true and come to the B1G, OU.

Boomer.....
9/2/2011, 10:09 PM
Not necessarily, I really don't think that the University wants to head west, or east or anywhere. I think they want to stay in conference with our Traditional Rivals, with our regional, easy to travel to locations. I wouldn't be suprised if we did raid the Big East. Those really are the much more viable targets then some MWC teams (and anything less then an independatnt or MWC shouldn't be targetted). We should also take the same approach as the SEC, only expand into new states/markets.

I have disagree. Based on the silence of Boren and the slight comments by Stoops, I think we are headed to the PAC. If we do, we will bring OSU, sand aggy, and someone else. It isn't the best fit for us but gives us the best opportunity to succeed.

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 10:17 PM
I think the time of Boren and co. wanting to stay in the Big 12 has passed. The loss of 3 major brands from the Big 12 and no suitable replacements for them means the best future for OU lies elsewhere.

colleyvillesooner
9/2/2011, 10:21 PM
Blevins on Twitter:

Source: "Boren is 1 cuttin' deal. He was very happy w where things were b4 showing up late 2 c Stoops & Castiglione this afternoon" #sooners

silverwheels
9/2/2011, 10:26 PM
Really makes it sound like the end of the Big 12 is at hand.

SoonerMom2
9/2/2011, 10:28 PM
Frozen Sooner -- You are my hero of the night! What an annoying poster that was. Thanks for tossing him overboard!

SoonerMom2
9/2/2011, 10:34 PM
When I logged on a few minutes ago I saw Jeni Carlson's story and Boren refused to commit to the Big 12 and talked about weighing his options. He also comments on people tracking the flight and said it was true that he has been all over and made it sound like more than just MO and A&M. They are weighing their options -- he said it will be soon that we will know what we OU is doing. By refusing to commit to the Big 12 thinks it says it all. I also got the impression unless I read it wrong that Boren is making the decision about what is best for OU and not anyone else. Night before the opener and he doesn't commit to the Big 12!

Landthief 1972
9/3/2011, 01:31 AM

Thanks, I just threw up a little.

soonercoop1
9/3/2011, 08:29 AM
Should have kicked Texass out before Neb left....don't really want to go to the left coast though...looking ahead I think it would be a disaster for OU...

FaninAma
9/3/2011, 08:47 AM
If Boren has his way OU will end up in the Big1G. I think they have offers from the SeC, Big1G and the PAC-12. The Big1G may act like they are above the fray but their commissioner is smart enough to realize that whoever gets OU and Texas will be THE football conference for the foreseeable future.

Also, Texas has, IMO, given Boren permission to negotiate for them, too. Texas does not want to be seen as the Texas team that is responsible for leaving TT and Baylor behind. In other words, they are acting like little *u$$ies.

ouflak
9/3/2011, 08:54 AM
Also, Texas has, IMO, given Boren permission to negotiate for them, too. Texas does not want to be seen as the Texas team that is responsible for leaving TT and Baylor behind. In other words, they are acting like little *u$$ies.

That may not be totally fair. It's just good business. That's all.

FaninAma
9/3/2011, 09:01 AM
That may not be totally fair. It's just good business. That's all.

If last year had never happened I would agree. But the way Texas handled things by pulling out of the PAC 10 deal at the last minute probably damaged Texas Tech's and OSU's chances of landing in a decent conference. Baylor had a decent shot of going to the PAC-12 last year. This year they have zero chance.

Phil
9/3/2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah, but judging from last night, Baylor will fit right in with Tulsa in C-USA. No defense to be found anywhere in that league.

SoonerMom2
9/3/2011, 09:31 AM
If last year had never happened I would agree. But the way Texas handled things by pulling out of the PAC 10 deal at the last minute probably damaged Texas Tech's and OSU's chances of landing in a decent conference. Baylor had a decent shot of going to the PAC-12 last year. This year they have zero chance.

Agree 100% as Boren left no doubt that he is negotiating for what is best for OU and bet TX is part of that -- his comments about Nebraska were telling -- Big 12 made a huge mistake not making NE and OU a yearly event on Thanksgiving weekend. I have been saying PAC 12 but I think now with the comments about NE, it could be the Big 10 for OU because before we were tied to OSU but Pickens can now pick up their pieces after opening his big mouth. I think OU would rather be reunited with NE. Just a hunch! Boren was as happy as could be yesterday like the decision had been made. Think it is pretty much a done deal or he wouldn't have said a word. Think the key is the Big 12 telephone call and Beebe telling schools to contact TX to stay. To me that means OU is gone. Now where is the question? OU has climbed the ladder for research and would be an easy choice if Big 10 schools nominated us to the AAU. It was also his comments that OU has a nationwide reputation that said OU is gone from the Big 12 to a stable conference.

PLaw
9/3/2011, 09:35 AM
Whether it is the Texas schools or the Kansas schools I can't wait for it to happen. But if Texas thinks their hands would be politically clean, think again. The LHN is the root cause of this round of problems. Pac 16.

Spot on!! But, I would also add it's "*" greed that is the root of this mess as evidenced by the LHN.

BOOMER

PLaw
9/3/2011, 09:39 AM
It was also his comments that OU has a nationwide reputation that said OU is gone from the Big 12 to a stable conference.

Will any conference that includes "*" ever be stable? Doubtful. That was the great thing about the Big 8 - very stable, we had the RRS, and we still scheduled several Texas schools for OOC play.

BOOMER

GottaHavePride
9/3/2011, 09:52 AM
Big 10 is already THE money conference. If they add OU and Texas to that, they would have a ridiculous advantage over anyone else.

Which might be enough to pull in Notre Dame, finally.

Then they'd just need one more to hit 16.

MountainOkie
9/3/2011, 09:54 AM
Big 10 is already THE money conference. If they add OU and Texas to that, they would have a ridiculous advantage over anyone else.

That would be one HECK of a competitive conference. Good luck getting out of that one.

Oh and Nebraska would just love to have Texas attached to them again. :)

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 09:56 AM
Will any conference that includes "*" ever be stable? Doubtful.

BOOMER
If they have strong conference commissioner with the full support of other strong members willing to put UT in their place then I think a conference can be stable. I don't think that the commissioners and top institutions in the SEC or Big 10 would let UT act like they run everything. There are members in every conference that will let someone else "lead" but there should be some who also act as a check on the power of the leaders. This is the one area where I think the administration at OU failed the conference, as a check to reign in the power that UT has exercised since Beebe became commissioner. They were still that way before Beebe but I do think Weiberg at least tried to limit their influence some to placate the other members like Nebraska. Since Beebe has been in there UT has gone power mad because they knew they have an invertebrate as Big 12 Commissioner.

Widescreen
9/3/2011, 09:59 AM

I would love to see the look on Osborne's face when the Big 10 tells him they've invited UT to join the conference. I imagine it would look a lot like when the orange bowl called and told him he was going to have to replay OU.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 10:25 AM
Oh and Nebraska would just love to have Texas attached to them again. :)

Interesting Point...Nebbish HATES whorn as much as we do at this point. But not from the rivalry. They truly did bolt because they were sick of being told what to do by Deloss. I assume they would have a vote as to whether or not OU and Whorn get admitted

On the other hand they may enjoy seeing Whorn have to negotiate on a level playing field.

Or perhaps Nebbish's feelings for Whorn is one of the reason Boren is doing the talking for both OU and Whorn (this may be a stretch, but delicious speculation)

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 10:28 AM
Will any conference that includes "*" ever be stable? Doubtful. That was the great thing about the Big 8 - very stable, we had the RRS, and we still scheduled several Texas schools for OOC play.

BOOMER
. When the B12 started, Whorn wrote the rule book because of the Golden Rule (He who has the gold makes the rules). That was the reason for instability.

BIG is well established with plenty of power spread around. Whorn would still carry a big stick, but not all the sticks

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 10:45 AM
I would love to see the look on Osborne's face when the Big 10 tells him they've invited UT to join the conference. I imagine it would look a lot like when the orange bowl called and told him he was going to have to replay OU.
I'd imagine it would be about the same....

O8tcxfQ3_bs

Sooner_Tuf
9/3/2011, 10:52 AM
No other conference is going to put up with Texas. Texas might have to be Indy for a few years to let their heads return to normal size first. The LHN has painted them into a corner, they really need the Big 12 to work. Which sucks for them because they have killed it.

Deloss Dodds may know how to make money but he is not a good neighbor. He has ruined any national reputation Texas had before. Dodds' attitude and ways worked well at K-State but given the resources of Texas he has shown what a selfish butt he really is. I don't think anyone will welcome that into their already successful house.

I think it is possible we go to the PAC without Texas. I do not believe Texas is letting Boren speak for them.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 10:57 AM
No other conference is going to put up with Texas. Texas might have to be Indy for a few years to let their heads return to normal size first. The LHN has painted them into a corner, they really need the Big 12 to work. Which sucks for them because they have killed it.

Deloss Dodds may know how to make money but he is not a good neighbor. He has ruined any national reputation Texas had before. Dodds' attitude and ways worked well at K-State but given the resources of Texas he has shown what a selfish butt he really is. I don't think anyone will welcome that into their already successful house.

I think it is possible we go to the PAC without Texas. I do not believe Texas is letting Boren speak for them.

LHN painted them into a corner yes
showed that they are a bad partner yes
kept them from being in a conference...NOPE

they are a whale to any of the conferences. They may have to do some major league negotiating with the parameters of the LHN, but they'll end up in a conference

SoonerinSouthlake
9/3/2011, 10:58 AM
I'd imagine it would be about the same....

O8tcxfQ3_bs

priceless

Soonermagik
9/4/2011, 09:38 AM
Sounds like the PAC 12 is about a done deal. I can't wait to see the Trojans and Ducks in Norman!!

BigTip
9/4/2011, 09:43 AM
Does this mean that the Sooner's training table will now be required to serve quiche and granola? Jeez.

GreenSooner
9/4/2011, 09:49 AM
I know that this is 100% speculation and totally jumping the gun, but I've been trying to figure out what a PAC 16 schedule would look like. Assume the rumors that you'd have two divisions, East and West. West would be the old PAC 8 (the California, Washington, and Oregon schools); East would be everyone else. In an 11 game schedule, I can't imagine that each team would play more than two teams from the opposite division (they'd have seven games against their own division rivals plus, I assume, at least two non-conference games). For the Eastern division, it would make all kinds of sense to want to play at least one Cali school every year. Assuming, again, that one of the two interdivisional games is at home, the other on the road, that would mean that OU would:

Travel to California only every other year for a regular season game.

Host the Trojans, the Ducks, or any other particular West division team only once every eight years.

Or am I missing something here?

Soonermagik
9/4/2011, 09:57 AM
I know that this is 100% speculation and totally jumping the gun, but I've been trying to figure out what a PAC 16 schedule would look like. Assume the rumors that you'd have two divisions, East and West. West would be the old PAC 8 (the California, Washington, and Oregon schools); East would be everyone else. In an 11 game schedule, I can't imagine that each team would play more than two teams from the opposite division (they'd have seven games against their own division rivals plus, I a
ssume, at least two non-conference games). For the Eastern division, it would make all kinds of sense to want to play at least one Cali school every year. Assuming, again, that
one of the two interdivisional games is at home, the other on the road, that would mean that OU would:
Travel to California only every other year for a regular season game.
Host the Trojans, the Ducks, or any other particular West division team only once every eight years.

Or am I missing something here?

I think you bring up a good point. I heard on the radio that the super conferences could kill out of conference games. If that's the case, you would play 4 West teams one year and the other 4 West teams the following year. I will be interested to see how that works out.

I'll guess that the conference championship game will rotate between the Rose Bowl and Jerry World to be fair to the East and West teams. Pretty exciting stuff if you ask me!

Penguin
9/4/2011, 09:58 AM
Please, please tell me that people on here are more excited to leave the Big XII than they are excited about joining the PAC-10. The PAC-10 is a ****ty football conference. Always has been and always will be. Don't get me wrong. The PAC-10 is an awesome water polo conference. Since 1990, the PAC-10 has won 20 of the last 21 national championships.

So, I figure that people are blinded by their hatred of the Big XII or they have some pie in the sky dream that a miracle will happen and the PAC-10 will begin playing sports. As for me, I'm not exactly creaming my shorts about this PAC-10 thing. I just hope that there is some ridiculously huge paycheck coming to make this move worth it.

Sooner5030
9/4/2011, 10:21 AM
if true instead of a boring two division maybe they can come up with four:

UO
WSU
UW
ORSU

CAL
UCLA
SC
STANFORD

CU
UTAH
ASU
UA

OU
OSU
UT
TTU

play 3 from your division and 1 each from the others. With six conference games we could schedule a shiat-ton of cool OOC games.

Or maybe this is horrible......this idea.

Something other than play 7 of your division and 2 from the other.

Ground_Attack
9/4/2011, 10:32 AM

UO
WSU
UW
ORSU

CAL
UCLA
SC
STANFORD

CU
UTAH
ASU
UA

OU
OSU
UT
TTU

play 3 from your division and 1 each from the others. With six conference games we could schedule a shiat-ton of cool OOC games.

With only 6 conference games you'd probably see a log jam at the top of the divisions. Besides, how would you determine who gets to play in the CCG?

Sooner5030
9/4/2011, 10:34 AM
With only 6 conference games you'd probably see a log jam at the top of the divisions. Besides, how would you determine who gets to play in the CCG?

couldn't be any worse than a three way tiebreaker. Any set up will have its down side. I am worried that large, competitive conferences will cause schools to schedule weak OOC games.

Soonermagik
9/4/2011, 11:18 AM
Please, please tell me that people on here are more excited to leave the Big XII than they are excited about joining the PAC-10. The PAC-10 is a ****ty football conference. Always has been and always will be. Don't get me wrong. The PAC-10 is an awesome water polo conference. Since 1990, the PAC-10 has won 20 of the last 21 national championships.

So, I figure that people are blinded by their hatred of the Big XII or they have some pie in the sky dream that a miracle will happen and the PAC-10 will begin playing sports. As for me, I'm not exactly creaming my shorts about this PAC-10 thing. I just hope that there is some ridiculously huge paycheck coming to make this move worth it.

I think the increased revenue is exciting, extending OU's brand out West, playing USC and the Ducks beats playing Iowa State and the purple kitties, awesome venues to play in etc.. what's not to be excited about?

Plus, it gives OU a decent conference to play in and the road to the MNC isn't that much harder.

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2011, 11:31 AM
As an Okiefornian, I can tell you that if OU goes west, there will be a LOT of new OKLAHOMA fans on the West Coast.

So many many many people still have roots back to this part of the country out there and I always found it interesting that they don't hesitate to tell you right away. I always liked hearing someone tell me about their parents being from Oklahoma, or grandparents.

Also, the PAC-10 has been boring for decades. Bringing in real football programs will be a novelty and it will be easy for the fence-sitters to adopt the newbies very quickly. Allegiances in California sports aren't like they are in other parts of the country.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2011, 12:02 PM

Like a $3 billion TV contract?

the-rover
9/4/2011, 12:45 PM

UO
WSU
UW
ORSU

CAL
UCLA
SC
STANFORD

CU
UTAH
ASU
UA

OU
OSU
UT
TTU

Someone else posted something similar, and added that this configuration would enable a 4 team playoff for the conference championship.

Now, if this super conference thing really takes off with the SEC, B1G, PAC and ACC, and all of the conferences do the same to determine their conf. champs......full blown college football playoff!

EatLeadCommie
9/4/2011, 01:04 PM

Have you checked out the Big XII lately? Talk about a weak football conference. The PAC 10 is solid at football. People just don't watch enough of it because of the time zone difference.

ouduckhunter
9/4/2011, 01:27 PM
As an Okiefornian, I can tell you that if OU goes west, there will be a LOT of new OKLAHOMA fans on the West Coast.

So many many many people still have roots back to this part of the country out there and I always found it interesting that they don't hesitate to tell you right away. I always liked hearing someone tell me about their parents being from Oklahoma, or grandparents.

You are absolutely right!! It is amazing how many people I know out here on west coast with Okie roots!! It may take some of them a bit longer than others, but Sooner or later, they will all be Sooners!!

TMcGee86
9/4/2011, 01:43 PM

Well yeah overall I agree with you, but instead of thinking of it like joining the Pac12, just think of it as trading in teams like ISU and KSU for UO and USC.

And while the Pac12 is a ****ty football conference, the Pac 16 will be a great football conference. We aren't losing anyone good and we are gaining some good teams.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2011, 01:53 PM
You are absolutely right!! It is amazing how many people I know out here on west coast with Okie roots!! It may take some of them a bit longer than others, but Sooner or later, they will all be Sooners!!

Read The Grapes of Wrath :)

I'm like a modern day Okie moving to California during the new great depression (recession? whatever). Instead of picking peaches, I'm out here in CA programming commuters for food.

MountainOkie
9/4/2011, 02:44 PM
OK. Let's go already!

I'll help pack.

Out the door...let's go.

California here we come!

Times a wastin'.

Come on already! I just can't handle the suspense any longer!

(chewing nails) I mean what it's been...TWO DAYS! Really, is that all?

At this rate I don't think I can make it for Boren's "three weeks". Ak. :distress:

LosAngelesSooner
9/4/2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the dark side. I'll see you jokers at the tailgates. :)

LosAngelesSooner
9/4/2011, 03:00 PM
You are absolutely right!! It is amazing how many people I know out here on west coast with Okie roots!! It may take some of them a bit longer than others, but Sooner or later, they will all be Sooners!!That's because just about anyone who is remotely liberal in Oklahoma moves out of the state...and most of them move West.

SoonerLaw09
9/4/2011, 03:11 PM
I say if we join the B1G that we switch to teh throwback unis (the one with the white helmet) and go old school.

LosAngelesSooner
9/4/2011, 03:16 PM
Nah. They're too close to Stanford's.

MeMyself&Me
9/4/2011, 03:17 PM
That's because just about anyone who is remotely liberal in Oklahoma moves out of the state...and most of them move West.

So you're saying Will Rogers was right?

LosAngelesSooner
9/4/2011, 03:24 PM
I'm just saying what I said.

Will Rogers said a LOT of stuff. That would be kinda like saying, "So you agree with that Mark Twain quote?"

EatLeadCommie
9/4/2011, 03:34 PM
I wonder if the Pac 12 would take us without Texas. And if Texas doesn't go, do we still take Texas Tech in order to keep recruiting ties in Texas? I'd almost rather take Baylor that TT, and then take KU from the north.

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2011, 03:36 PM
San Francisco?

Cal's in Berkely...

I waited a few days for someone else to point out...

Palo Alto

C&CDean
9/4/2011, 03:39 PM
Right across the bay from San Francisco. You guys anal much? If we go to the Pac-whatever, the game will be in Berkely or Palo Alto, but I will be staying/hanging out in San Francisco. You guys can do Oakland.

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2011, 04:06 PM
Right across the bay from San Francisco. You guys anal much? If we go to the Pac-whatever, the game will be in Berkely or Palo Alto, but I will be staying/hanging out in San Francisco. You guys can do Oakland.

Doof, I was merely pointing out that Palo Alto is another location from which to enjoy San Francisco. So much for making your dayum point for ya...

101sooner
9/4/2011, 04:11 PM
LOL. Driving from SF to Berkeley is about like driving from Norman to MWC except the traffic flows better on the Bay Bridge than it does on I-35.

BudSooner
9/4/2011, 04:16 PM
Right across the bay from San Francisco. You guys anal much? If we go to the Pac-whatever, the game will be in Berkely or Palo Alto, but I will be staying/hanging out in San Francisco. You guys can do Oakland.Don't drop your wallet. :D

Sooner5030
9/4/2011, 04:29 PM
When we are in the area we usually camp at a place just up the hill from Berkely. It's a regionally managed park but in decent driving distances to everything. The road is very curvy up the hill though. Either that or we camp out at half moon bay on the other side of SF.

LosAngelesSooner
9/4/2011, 04:30 PM
I wonder if the Pac 12 would take us without Texas. And if Texas doesn't go, do we still take Texas Tech in order to keep recruiting ties in Texas? I'd almost rather take Baylor that TT, and then take KU from the north.Word on the street is that yes, they would take OU and OSU without Texas.

MeMyself&Me
9/4/2011, 04:44 PM
I'm just saying what I said.

Will Rogers said a LOT of stuff. That would be kinda like saying, "So you agree with that Mark Twain quote?"

LOL, I think you know which quote I was referring to.

SoonerMom2
9/4/2011, 06:44 PM
I went to Soonersports.com to see if they had the video of Tom Wort coming out and going to the 50 yard line when I discovered a lot of links on the official site with stories about OU going to the PAC 12 which shocked me -- see for yourself at http://www.soonersports.com/multimedia/matheson.html

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 02:53 AM
LOL, I think you know which quote I was referring to.Actually I don't. As I already stated, he said a lot of stuff. I happen to know more than one quote of his. Why don't you enlighten us instead of being coy?

Sooner_Tuf
9/5/2011, 03:01 AM
"When the Okies left Oklahoma and moved to California, they raised the average intelligence level in both states." would be my guess.

Texas Golfer
9/5/2011, 03:05 AM

In.

When you put it like that...

MeMyself&Me
9/5/2011, 08:39 AM
Actually I don't. As I already stated, he said a lot of stuff. I happen to know more than one quote of his. Why don't you enlighten us instead of being coy?

Didn't realize it was that obscure given the nature of what you said.

"When the Okies left Oklahoma and moved to California, they raised the average intelligence level in both states." would be my guess.

See, I wasn't the only one thinking of it when you said it.

soonercoop1
9/5/2011, 10:43 AM

The move to the PAC has zero to do with academics or football its all about political ideology...thats why he has seemed to rule out the SEC...

soonercoop1
9/5/2011, 10:53 AM
For one thing, since the SEC was formed in 1933, their teams have won 19 national championships, distributed across 6 different programs: Tennessee (2), Auburn (2), LSU (3), Bama (8), Georgia (1), and Florida (3). During the same time period, the Pac has won 10, distributed over 3 different programs: UCLA (1), Washington (1), and USC (8). If you want to be the best, beat the best. And an SEC school has been the best on a more consistent basis than a Pac school.

It comes down to a long-standing tradition of great football throughout the conference. The SEC has it, and outside of USC, the PAC doesn't. I would take trips to Tuscaloosa, Athens, Columbia, Knoxville (if I didn't already live here...), and even Oxford with the traditions, tailgating, and general atmosphere over any school in the Pac.

The campuses and stadiums in the SEC are hallowed ground. Much like at OU, even the most casual fan is a rabid one. Like OU, on game day an SEC stadium is durn near a cathedral.

Jhorts and corn dogs aside, when it comes to football and tradition, OU has far more in common with the SEC programs than the Pac programs, besides USC.

I totally agree. FWIW, every SEC fan that I know that doesn't wear purple and gold thinks the LSU fans are the worst in the nation. NOBODY likes LSU fans, especially in the SEC.

I live in one of theose "sweltering ****hole" states. After living in Oklahoma for nearly 30 years and Tennessee for 15, I can tell you that the weather in the SE beats the weather in Oklahoma 99 days out of 100. And the only SEC fans that are ****heads are the LSU fans. Tennessee, Bama, Kentucky, S. Carolina, Jawja, Ole Miss, Arky, Miss. St. - I'd put any of those fan bases up against OU's or Nebbish's when it comes to classy fans. They're knowledgeable, and they respect the hell out of OU.

Those Johnny-come-latelys on the west coast wouldn't know a football tradition if you busted them upside the head with it.

This^

DenverSooner751
9/5/2011, 11:00 AM

The move to the PAC has zero to do with academics or football its all about political ideology...thats why he has seemed to rule out the SEC...

Not just ideology, but political posturing against the a$$hats in Texas. I see a lot of it as us standing up on our own and saying enough is enough. I read somewhere that OU was being given credit for not being the "hey look at us, we want out" group like aTm was. At this juncture it's now more of a "okay, we won't just go along for the sake of keeping Texas politicians quiet" , reardless of what happens i'll be happy knowing that OU forced the others hand.

Partial Qualifier
9/5/2011, 11:17 AM
"Bob Stoops always thought Pac-12 would come back up"

Read more: http://newsok.com/bob-stoops-always-thought-pac-12-would-come-back-up/article/3601424#ixzz1X5yaHMLc

I'll go play wherever they tell me I need to play. For me to say what I prefer wouldn't be at all right to do."

Asked what he thought of 16-team mega-conferences, Stoops said, "It seems that's the direction the world's going. If it is, so be it."

Sounds like Bob knows it's going to happen.

Bob has always expressed a strong reluctance to play his brother Mike. This would essentially mean he'll have to get over that, right?

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 11:21 AM
"When the Okies left Oklahoma and moved to California, they raised the average intelligence level in both states." would be my guess.Well, nobody knows who actually said that. The quote is one of those quotes that is attributed to Will Rogers, but has never been verified from a source. People often attribute quips from the likes of Mark Twain to Rogers, so Twain may have said something similar (without regard to the states of California and Oklahoma, but a related quip regarding intelligence and westward migration of settlers).

In fact there is an earlier quote found by the University of Southern Mississippi Political Science Professor Joseph Parker that takes a shot at Mississippi made by a governor of New York where he once said he was "going to send the patients in our mental asylum to Mississippi; it will raise the intelligence level in both states."

So if we're going to talk about Will Rogers quotes, let's stick to the ones that are actual Will Rogers quotes, shall we?

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 11:25 AM
Didn't realize it was that obscure given the nature of what you said.

See, I wasn't the only one thinking of it when you said it.This is one of those situations where my education got in the way of knowing what you were talking about. I thought you were talking about actual Will Rogers quotes. Nobody knows if Will Rogers actually said that. It's one of those "cultural quotes" that gets mangled and floated around and attributed to all sorts of different people and states/migration patterns. Shoot, the English probably said that joke when the Puritans left for the New World.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 11:28 AM
The move to the PAC has zero to do with academics or football its all about political ideology...thats why he has seemed to rule out the SEC...Wuh!? You're saying it has to do with politics??

Dude...get real. Politics (outside of the State of Texas) has nothing to do with ANY of the Big 12 breakup moves.

DenverSooner751
9/5/2011, 11:57 AM
The move to the PAC has zero to do with academics or football its all about political ideology...thats why he has seemed to rule out the SEC...Wuh!? You're saying it has to do with politics??

Dude...get real. Politics (outside of the State of Texas) has nothing to do with ANY of the Big 12 breakup moves.

I respectfully disagree. It's all a matter of perspective, while state politics might not have anything to do with it (outside of Texas as you point out),the process itself has become purely political in nature, just gotta seperate the word political from it's typical association with government politcs.

Either way you look at it, politics, both typical and otherwise, are at play in all of this.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:06 PM
I respectfully disagree. It's all a matter of perspective, while state politics might not have anything to do with it (outside of Texas as you point out),the process itself has become purely political in nature, just gotta seperate the word political from it's typical association with government politcs.

Either way you look at it, politics, both typical and otherwise, are at play in all of this.Oh, well when you put it that way I agree. I thought you meant "government politics" crap. That's what I was disagreeing with.

But by your definition, picking the winner of Survivor or American Idol has to do with politics, too. Any time big money is involved, as is the case with all of College Football and with conferences in general, there's gonna be some back room dealings and posturing involved.

MeMyself&Me
9/5/2011, 12:09 PM
Well, nobody knows who actually said that. The quote is one of those quotes that is attributed to Will Rogers, but has never been verified from a source. People often attribute quips from the likes of Mark Twain to Rogers, so Twain may have said something similar (without regard to the states of California and Oklahoma, but a related quip regarding intelligence and westward migration of settlers).

In fact there is an earlier quote found by the University of Southern Mississippi Political Science Professor Joseph Parker that takes a shot at Mississippi made by a governor of New York where he once said he was "going to send the patients in our mental asylum to Mississippi; it will raise the intelligence level in both states."

So if we're going to talk about Will Rogers quotes, let's stick to the ones that are actual Will Rogers quotes, shall we?

This is one of those situations where my education got in the way of knowing what you were talking about. I thought you were talking about actual Will Rogers quotes. Nobody knows if Will Rogers actually said that. It's one of those "cultural quotes" that gets mangled and floated around and attributed to all sorts of different people and states/migration patterns. Shoot, the English probably said that joke when the Puritans left for the New World.

Come on man, whether someone else used the same joke before with different geographical subjects is irrelevant. I'm not the only one that thought of it. If you missed it, well...

Big D Sooner
9/5/2011, 12:18 PM
This is one of those situations where my education got in the way of knowing what you were talking about. I thought you were talking about actual Will Rogers quotes. Nobody knows if Will Rogers actually said that. It's one of those "cultural quotes" that gets mangled and floated around and attributed to all sorts of different people and states/migration patterns. Shoot, the English probably said that joke when the Puritans left for the New World.

Everyone not being an arrogant ****** take one step forward... not so fast LosAngelesSooner

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:19 PM
Come on man, whether someone else used the same joke before with different geographical subjects is irrelevant. I'm not the only one that thought of it. If you missed it, well...You asked me if Will Rogers was right. I thought about all the crap the brilliant dude said and thought, "About what?" Then you essentially said, "About that quote that some people said he said, but nobody knows if he actually said it or if it has anything to do with the subject we're discussing at all, but not about anything that he actually DID say that is on record." To which I replied, "Well, crap...how was I supposed to follow THAT non sequitur? He didn't even say the thing you're referring to." To which you're now replying, "Dude...you should have followed my mis-quote. How could you let that fly over your head? What? Were you paying attention to the actual words I was typing and trying to tie them to fact? Dummy face."

To which I now respond, "Clearly the IQ shift has switched." ;)

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:20 PM
Everyone not being an arrogant ****** take one step forward... not so fast LosAngelesSoonerIt's not my fault being the biggest and strongest. I don't even exercise.