PDA

View Full Version : OU about to bolt for PAC 12... quickly

Pages : 1 [2]

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:25 PM
Everyone not being an arrogant ****** take one step forward... not so fast LosAngelesSoonerP.S. - It's not arrogance to refer to the fact that your advanced degree in a certain subject makes you more knowledgeable about that subject. The miscommunication here had to do with the fact that he referred to a famous quote, but he was wrong since the famous quote he referred to wasn't really a famous quote by that person.

And all I said was that my education (ie: knowing the actual quotes attributed to said author) made me miss his reference since he was referring to something that the author probably didn't actually say.

And then your peener got bent crooked because somebody dared to refer to the fact that they got an education.

You DO know that this board is for a University, right?

MeMyself&Me
9/5/2011, 12:25 PM
Everyone not being an arrogant ****** take one step forward... not so fast LosAngelesSooner

No kidding. I was just playfully teasing him a bit. Didn't think he'd get all snooty. Now he's basically saying he's so smart he has no sense of humor. Whatever.

MeMyself&Me
9/5/2011, 12:28 PM
P.S. - It's not arrogance to refer to the fact that your advanced degree in a certain subject makes you more knowledgeable about that subject. The miscommunication here had to do with the fact that he referred to a famous quote, but he was wrong since the famous quote he referred to wasn't really a famous quote by that person.

And all I said was that my education (ie: knowing the actual quotes attributed to said author) made me miss his reference since he was referring to something that the author probably didn't actually say.

And then your peener got bent crooked because somebody dared to refer to the fact that they got an education.

You can be as long winded as you want to be about who actually said what but it's still beside the point. It was a joke that was clear enough for others to get... yet you didn't.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:34 PM
No kidding. I was just playfully teasing him a bit. Didn't think he'd get all snooty. Now he's basically saying he's so smart he has no sense of humor. Whatever.I guess if you're really insecure you could have taken it that way.

Or you could just understand that when people refer to things as fact, I like to look at those facts. Especially when they lie in the area of my degree expertise.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:34 PM
You can be as long winded as you want to be about who actually said what but it's still beside the point. It was a joke that was clear enough for others to get... yet you didn't.Because it a) wasn't funny and b) wasn't accurate.

Don't blame me for your bad joke writing.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:36 PM
And for all you guys who've known me for the decade plus that I've posted on here...yep...despite my long absence...I've STIIIIIILLLLLL GOT IT!!!! :D

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:39 PM
You can be as long winded as you want to be about who actually said what but it's still beside the point. It was a joke that was clear enough for others to get... yet you didn't.And if you want a LONG winded response, check out this quote source thread on the subject along with links to citations:

The quotation "When the Okies left Oklahoma and went to California, the average intelligence of both states went up," is widely attributed to Will Rogers. (See for example, the New England Journal of Medicine, Volume 312:1604-1608 June 20, 1985 Number 25 The Will Rogers phenomenon. Stage migration and new diagnostic techniques as a source of misleading statistics for survival in cancer) Once, long ago, I read (In the New Republic if I remember correctly in about 1985-88)that this was really someone else's quote, perhaps WC Fields.

"When the Oakies left Oklahoma and moved to California, it raised the I.Q. of both states." ~ Will Rogers From http://www.allthingswilliam.com/intelligence.html

I also located this version attributed to Rogers from a message board at http://cbs.sportsline.com/messages/message/6792542/1067608008-beepers3 : "During the Dust Bowl Days when the 'Okies' migrated to California, it raised the I.Q. of both states."

Another version from http://www.prostatepointers.org/prostate/leibowitz/DrLeib16.html reads: "Will Rogers quipped ** "in the 1930's, there was a mass migration of people from Oklahoma to California. As a result, the average I.Q. of both states....increased."

And yet another version at http://www.quotemeonit.com/rogersw.html reads: "I've always believed all those people who moved from Oklahoma to California raised the average IQ of two states."

AND MORE VARIATIONS: "When the dust bowl sent some Oklahomans to California Will Rogers said the average IQ of both states went UP..." From http://www.shareyourstate.com/OK/welcome.htm

"When an Okie moves to California, he raises the IQ of both states" From www.happygiraffe.net/plan9fortunes.txt (http://www.happygiraffe.net/plan9fortunes.txt)

"You know what Will Rogers said about California. During the dust bowl, when the okies migrated out here, "it improved the IQ of both states." From http://talk.shooters.com/room_30/Sep032001.cfm

A reference at http://clubs.calvin.edu/chimes/2001.04.27/world/story03.shtml (http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:4xo_ekFZZhAJ:www.tvcc.cc.tx.us/Faculty/benger/1302/1930S.rtf+)

I found one reference to Mark Twain having said it: "I remember reading where Mark Twain also said that all the Okies moving to California during the dustbowl raised the IQ of both states" From http://diesel.list.archives.mbz.org/2001/Oct/Vol_3_Num_1066/ [Further searches didn't turn up any more Mark Twain references and since he died in 1910, I doubt he said this about the Okies migration though he may have made a similar reference to something else. However, I didn't have any luck search his name with the "intelligence" reference.]

********* I phoned the Oklahoma Historical Society in Oklahoma City (405-521-2491) and spoke with Brian, a gentleman in their research department. He checked in their sources for a reference to the "when" of the quote and he found a June 25, 1935, quote regarding IQ tests: "If nations held 'em, I don't believe we would be what you call a favorite to win." [DT4, p. 325] He checked the writings index for various buzzwords related to the quote but didn't locate it. The main page for the Oklahoma Historical Society is http://www.ok-history.mus.ok.us/enc/okie.htm

At Brian's suggestion, I also phoned the Will Rogers Memorial in Claremore, Oklahoma, (918-341-0719). I spoke with a lady named Tammy who stated she recalled that quote and she would check and phone me back. When she didn't, I phoned her again and she said she hadn't had a chance to find it and could she phone me back tomorrow morning. I will call her again tomorrow to discover her progress. Should she discover the "when", I'll gladly post this comment as an answer. The Will Rogers Memorial website is located at http://www.willrogers.org/memorial.html

Best regards, journalist-ga

SEARCH STRATEGY: "Will Rogers" intelligence Oklahoma California
"raised the IQ"
"Will Rogers"
"it raised the IQ of both states"
"will rogers"
"raised the IQ"
"will rogers"
"improved the IQ"
"will rogers"
"average IQ of both states"
"will rogers"
"IQ of both states"
"will rogers"
"both states increased"
"raised the average I.Q. of two states"
"will rogers"
"raised the intelligence"
"will rogers"
"intelligence of both states"
"Mark Twain" intelligence California Oklahoma
"raised the average IQ"
"will rogers"
"w.c. fields" IQ california oklahoma
"w.c. fields" intelligence california oklahoma
"will rogers memorial"

Alas...I spoke with Greg today at the Will Rogers Memorial (Tammy was unexpectedly off) and, without even referencing it, he said that it's one of those quotes that is attributed to Rogers but has never been verified from a source. Greg said people often attribute quips from the likes of Mark Twain to Rogers so Twain may have said something similar (without regard to the states of California and Oklahoma but a related quip regarding intelligence). I certainly wish my hours spent would have resulted in a definitive answer for you but it wasn't to be this time.

After my time of researching, I agree with you that this may be an urban myth. When Greg (at the Will Rogers Memorial) mentioned people often attributing quips from the likes of Mark Twain to Rogers, I could see his point. This certainly appears to be the case (if not Twain, then perhaps another source) of Rogers getting credit for something he could have said given his depth of wit.

Enjoy. ;)

C&CDean
9/5/2011, 12:41 PM
You guys are gonna get shot. Dude is good. He can hit you in Sapulpa from Los Angeles. He's even got a certificate somewhere proving it.

MeMyself&Me
9/5/2011, 12:42 PM
I guess if you're really insecure you could have taken it that way.

Or you could just understand that when people refer to things as fact, I like to look at those facts. Especially when they lie in the area of my degree expertise.

I presented a reference, in humor, that others got that was not intended to be taken factually. As far as insecurity, you could have just laughed it off. Instead, we get a long lecture. Think about how that sounds to the rest of us.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:44 PM
You guys are gonna get shot. Dude is good. He can hit you in Sapulpa from Los Angeles. He's even got a certificate somewhere proving it.You were supposed to deliver it but you told me it got lost in the mail. No wonder you're going outta business.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:45 PM
I presented a reference that others got that was not intended to be taken factually. As far as insecurity, you could have just laughed it off. Instead, we get a long lecture. Think about how that sounds to the rest of us.It's not my fault that I wasn't dumb enough to get your misquote. ;)

As for laughing it off, I'm not the one with his panties in a bunch. Primarily because I wear a thong.

8timechamps
9/5/2011, 12:47 PM
And for all you guys who've known me for the decade plus that I've posted on here...yep...despite my long absence...I've STIIIIIILLLLLL GOT IT!!!! :D

Yeah, I was with you. Kinda like the oldfolks home of SF.com.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I was with you. Kinda like the oldfolks home of SF.com.:D LOL!

And I didn't even get INTO politics. I did all this using Will Rogers quotes. Fo realz', yo. I gots skillz. :D

MeMyself&Me
9/5/2011, 12:56 PM
Panties in a bunch? All I've been saying is you missed the point. I'll leave the long winded rants to you.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 12:58 PM
Panties in a bunch? All I've been saying is you missed the point. I'll leave the long winded rants to you.And I'll leave the bad joke writing/"trying to cover up the fact that you don't really know who said what" to you. ;)

GottaHavePride
9/5/2011, 01:01 PM
um, I didn't know what supposed Will Rogers quote was being referenced.

Second, generally speaking, that line doesn't sound like Will Rogers. Just in manner of speech and how he put sentences together.

Third, intelligence testing didn't even really begin (using that terminology) until the Stanford-Binet testing around 1915 or so. Will Rogers died in 1935, so I doubt that testing was even widely discussed outside of academic circles in Will Roger's time.

[/OT]

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2011, 01:14 PM

Second, generally speaking, that line doesn't sound like Will Rogers. Just in manner of speech and how he put sentences together.

Third, intelligence testing didn't even really begin (using that terminology) until the Stanford-Binet testing around 1915 or so. Will Rogers died in 1935, so I doubt that testing was even widely discussed outside of academic circles in Will Roger's time.

The quote is about Oakies moving to cali and raising the intelligence of both states. It is widely attributed to Will Rogers and there is little doubt he stated it even if he took the "joke" from another source and modified it to fit his act. The phrasing and such has been bastardized over the years. And that bastardizing has turned the word intelligence into IQ, usually for the sake of speed and abbreviation. I'm sure the word intelligence has been around since before 1915.

this is typical of LAS' bull**** trolling act. He's a cali poof that thinks he's smarter than anyone on the planet and likes to pick nits just to get under others skin. Ignore him.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:15 PM

[/OT]:les: STOOPID JERKFACE!!!!! HOW DARE YOU RAIN ON OUR MAKE GENERIC JOKES ABOUT CALIFORNIA PARADE!!! WE'RE FUNNY AND HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!!! WE REALLY ARE!!!

;)

JLEW1818
9/5/2011, 01:16 PM
And I'll leave the bad joke writing/"trying to cover up the fact that you don't really know who said what" to you. ;)

i thought you went away?

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:16 PM
The quote is about Oakies moving to cali and raising the intelligence of both states. It is widely attributed to Will Rogers and there is little doubt he stated it even if he took the "joke" from another source and modified it to fit his act. The phrasing and such has been bastardized over the years. And that bastardizing has turned the word intelligence into IQ, usually for the sake of speed and abbreviation. I'm sure the word intelligence has been around since before 1915.

this is typical of LAS' bull**** trolling act. He's a cali poof that thinks he's smarter than anyone on the planet and likes to pick nits just to get under others skin. Ignore him."Oakies?"

What...are we made out of wood and breed via acorn?

Now, I will admit that I have a thick skin...but bark?

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:17 PM
i thought you went away?I come back occasionally to see if you're getting smarter or getting laid.

Neither seems to be happening.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:20 PM

this is typical of LAS' bull**** trolling act. He's a cali poof that thinks he's smarter than anyone on the planet and likes to pick nits just to get under others skin. Ignore him.P.S. - I LOVE how you had the dim wits to post this after I showed about 20 links to various proof that your above statement is actually historically false.

But you FEEEEEEL that you're right, so you must be right...right?

And for the record, I don't think I'm smarter than anyone else on the planet, but I'm smarter than you. And that's not bragging anymore than knowing I could qualify for the 100m dash in the Special Olympics if I chose to try. Same level of competition. ;)

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:20 PM
heh

"Oakies"

That one is still carking me up. :)

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2011, 01:23 PM
"Oakies?"

What...are we made out of wood and breed via acorn?

Now, I will admit that I have a thick skin...but bark?[/I]

Since your education is really just reading from Google answers, you should do a little more. The spelling Oakies appears to be the original spelling and Okies came along later. Several of the you "google answers" ramblings even uses the spelling.

Go away troll.

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2011, 01:25 PM
P.S. - I LOVE how you had the dim wits to post this after I showed about 20 links to various proof that your above statement is actually historically false.

But you FEEEEEEL that you're right, so you must be right...right?

And for the record, I don't think I'm smarter than anyone else on the planet, but I'm smarter than you. And that's not bragging anymore than knowing I could qualify for the 100m dash in the Special Olympics if I chose to try. Same level of competition. ;)

What your google answers "education" says is that it cant or hasn't been proven one way or the other. Just because he may have modified a previous version of it doesn't mean he didn't say it. Bye, troll.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:34 PM
Since your education is really just reading from Google answers, you should do a little more. The spelling Oakies appears to be the original spelling and Okies came along later. Several of the you "google answers" ramblings even uses the spelling.

Go away troll.I thought you were going to ignore me, Jedi Master?

And my education is what it is. Google Answers is the bridge I use so I can communicate with people like you. Clearly it's not working. I'll try BoopieBoopieDooNaaaaargh.com

They speak your language. :D

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:35 PM
What your google answers "education" says is that it cant or hasn't been proven one way or the other. Just because he may have modified a previous version of it doesn't mean he didn't say it. Bye, troll.I love the way you love me. And the way you ignore me.

What Google Answers says is that nobody knows who said it, but that there are references that pre-date Will Rogers. So...yeah, I guess you could interpret it as saying, "it hasn't been proven one way or the other."

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:36 PM
heh..."Oakies"

:D

Thanks for that one. I'm gonna be chuckling all day...

badger
9/5/2011, 01:38 PM
Are we in the Pac-1X yet?

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 01:41 PM
Are we in the Pac-1X yet?Getting back on subject? ;)

Not yet. But I sure hope it happens soon. I can't wait to watch OU play live 1-2 times a year plus a bowl game. All I'm getting right now are the bowl games.

badger
9/5/2011, 02:05 PM
Well, not just what your experience is with Pac fans, but UCLA fans were utter trash to us in... 2005, I think?

I heard that Oregon was just as welcoming as UCLA was.

Washington was tons of fun and I almost felt bad crushing them like we did (and twisting their Locker's head 180).

Bowl games I've found them all fun. Oregon and Washington State were the two I encountered personally, and they were all just there to vacation and watch football like me, so it was all good.

When UCLA, Warsh and Oregon came to Norman, they all seemed eager to spend money, spend time drinking and have fun, so no bad blood there, either.

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2011, 03:40 PM
Well, not just what your experience is with Pac fans, but UCLA fans were utter trash to us in... 2005, I think?

I heard that Oregon was just as welcoming as UCLA was.

Washington was tons of fun and I almost felt bad crushing them like we did (and twisting their Locker's head 180).

Bowl games I've found them all fun. Oregon and Washington State were the two I encountered personally, and they were all just there to vacation and watch football like me, so it was all good.

When UCLA, Warsh and Oregon came to Norman, they all seemed eager to spend money, spend time drinking and have fun, so no bad blood there, either.From my experience at OU vs. Pac 12 team games I found all of them to be nice with the exception of UCLA fans. But mainly they just were really bad at talking trash. And then when I talked back, they kinda got a confused dog look on their face and stood there stupidly. It was funny. I found the UO fans at the Holiday Bowl to be REALLY nice and gracious. Same with the Wazzu fans. I have heard similar things about most of the rest of the PAC 12 fans.

The exceptions? ASU and USC. Apparently the ASU fans are all belligerent drunks (but nowhere near as bad as LSU fans) and the USC "fans" are mostly gang bangers and abandoned former Raider fans who are out on parole. :)

C&CDean
9/5/2011, 03:56 PM
You were supposed to deliver it but you told me it got lost in the mail. No wonder you're going outta business.

I'm retired muh****ah. Deliver this.

ouduckhunter
9/5/2011, 04:01 PM
Oregon State fans are great!! We go to a lot of their games, and the minute that we say that we are Sooners, they love us!! Our mutual hatred of the Quacks is a strong binding force! They are very friendly, love to party and have good times, and for the most part they don't seem to be really rabid or knowledgeable about football. Probably because they are used to being big time losers year in, year out!

Washington State fans were really nice when we played them in the Rose Bowl. They are major drunkards on their own campus, and tend to riot and burn things after some of their games, but I've never heard that they are mean to opposing team's fans.

SoonerMom2
9/5/2011, 04:30 PM
Stanford fans were nice at the Sun Bowl -- it was the stupid tree and band which were way over the top and irritating with their band playing through the trophy presentation.

ashley
9/5/2011, 07:23 PM
We are going in the next two weeks, UT will be independent and OSU will most likely go with us. Some Big 12 schools have an emergency meeting tomorrow.

Soonermagik
9/5/2011, 07:35 PM
We are going in the next two weeks, UT will be independent and OSU will most likely go with us. Some Big 12 schools have an emergency meeting tomorrow.

Where are you getting this from? I thought Texas' AD said they did not want to go independent. I'm almost 100% positive that OU is gone due to Boren's comments. He basically destabilized any since of commitment OU had to the conference, so I think OU is gone. OSU basically said they are going to do whatever OU does. People that act like the PAC 12 won't take OU on their own don't know what they are talking about. Heck, they took Colorado and Utah the year before.

I hope Texas comes, but politics and their network may be sticking points. Even if they don't come, I don't see why OU couldn't still play them out of conference. I'm tired of speculation and ready for Boren to just come out and say we're gone to the PAC 12 with or without Texas.

BajaOklahoma
9/5/2011, 07:48 PM
I'm tired of speculation and ready for Boren to just come out and say we're gone to the PAC 12 with or without Texas.

And this is why Boren is acting now.

SoonerMom2
9/5/2011, 08:21 PM
Heard from somone on the west coast that Scott never got over what Texas did to them the last time and not sure they would be welcome and a definite NO to the Longhorn network. So no one wants the Longhorn Network and Texas won't give it up. That would explain the plane from Lubbock to outside Austin to OU with someone staying here for three hours -- Tech cannot trust Texas so they come to Boren?

ashley
9/5/2011, 08:40 PM
True, ut will not give up LHN. TT may be included but one more team needs to be in the mix with them. NMS abd CSU are not the answer. KU will go East for BB.

SoonerMom2
9/5/2011, 08:44 PM
True, ut will not give up LHN. TT may be included but one more team needs to be in the mix with them. NMS abd CSU are not the answer. KU will go East for BB.

Missouri? Just read an article that they had reached out to the PAC 12.

Soonermagik
9/5/2011, 09:09 PM
Missouri? Just read an article that they had reached out to the PAC 12.

Would you mind linking it here? I think Mizzou, OU, Tech and OSU wouldn't be terrible.

bluedogok
9/5/2011, 09:18 PM
Has Missouri finally accepted the fact that the Big 10 is just always leading them on? I don't think the Big 10 expands until they can get Notre Dame into the fold and then they will figure out who else to take. I think Missouri may realize that it doesn't have that long to wait with the way things are moving.

Blue
9/5/2011, 09:26 PM
Rather have Boise than Mizzou. Theyve earned it.

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2011, 09:29 PM
Rather have Boise than Mizzou. Theyve earned it.

Boise's academics make oSu/tech look like AAU members. I hope 1 of either KU or MU come west if ut screws the pooch.

SoonerMom2
9/5/2011, 09:45 PM
Would you mind linking it here? I think Mizzou, OU, Tech and OSU wouldn't be terrible.

It came from an article about KU and MO going to PAC 12 if TX/TT don't. Took me awhile plus there is also another article out there about MO first which I still haven't found. This article says that if MO and KU are invited they should jump immediately as this is moving so fast. Most articles think that OU is gone for sure.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2011/sep/5/the-latest-at-least-for-a-few-minutes-re/

Rogue
9/5/2011, 10:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6932735/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sooners-super-league-way-world-going

"I'm for whatever the president and athletic director feel is best for the University of Oklahoma," Stoops said Monday of David Boren and Joe Castiglione, speaking to media during the Big 12's weekly conference call. "And as long as we get to play I'll go play where we need to go play. So I've got great faith in them. So for me to say what I'd prefer wouldn't be at all right to do."

Taxman71
9/6/2011, 10:59 AM
I'm tired of speculation and ready for Boren to just come out and say we're gone to the SEC with or without Texas.

FIFY

Bourbon St Sooner
9/6/2011, 11:43 AM
Heard from somone on the west coast that Scott never got over what Texas did to them the last time and not sure they would be welcome and a definite NO to the Longhorn network. So no one wants the Longhorn Network and Texas won't give it up. That would explain the plane from Lubbock to outside Austin to OU with someone staying here for three hours -- Tech cannot trust Texas so they come to Boren?

With the trail of destruction texass has left in its wake, I think every conference has got to pause a bit when it decides whether or not to invite the whorns. Personally, I would prefer to no longer be in a conference with them while still playing them every year.

soonervegas
9/6/2011, 11:50 AM
It is going to be AWESOME when A&M comes out Friday and says they are staying with the Big 12.
It will be even AWESOMER when UT comes out early next week and says that their network will transition to a regional network including the Texas and Oklahoma schools.

I don't think anyone other than A&M wants A&M to move anymore....

the-rover
9/6/2011, 12:54 PM
I don't think very many care if atm moves anymore.

saucysoonergal
9/6/2011, 01:00 PM
I, for one, will never miss the collie worshiping, goose stepping, grass protecting aggies.

Big D Sooner
9/10/2011, 10:15 AM
P.S. - It's not arrogance to refer to the fact that your advanced degree in a certain subject makes you more knowledgeable about that subject. The miscommunication here had to do with the fact that he referred to a famous quote, but he was wrong since the famous quote he referred to wasn't really a famous quote by that person.

You want to compare degrees? I think I'll win.

SoonerBorn85
9/10/2011, 11:18 AM
This has nothing to do with this thread, but Oregon St. Punter just kicked it -4 yds. A backwards punt! That's a first for me.

soonervegas
9/10/2011, 11:37 AM
This has nothing to do with this thread, but Oregon St. Punter just kicked it -4 yds. A backwards punt! That's a first for me.

I don't know.....comparing degrees on a Pac 12 post kind of feels like a -4 yard punt.

LosAngelesSooner
9/10/2011, 02:08 PM
You want to compare degrees? I think I'll win.Is your degree relevant to the conversation? I mean, I never said I had "the world's biggest, best degree," I stated that my degree was specific to the field in question.

Unless your advanced degree is in English/Writing, it's not germane to the conversation.

And on a separate note, did you really just try to essentially compare educational dick sizes over the Internet? What, are you 6?

Widescreen
9/10/2011, 02:38 PM
To the OP... define "quickly".