PDA

View Full Version : What's with all this advertising?

dolemitesooner
9/1/2011, 07:16 AM
How ****! I know you got to pay the bills for this site Phil, but do you make your living from this thing? How **** the advertisments are annoying as hell.

Is there someway to turn all this stuff off?

and no I am not sponsering to put more money in your pockets. I don't know of many forums that do that as it is an antiquated method.

less like a community and more like a site to feed Phil.

Sigh.

Phil
9/1/2011, 07:32 AM
Doleo, the only advertising on the new site that wasn't on the old site is the big video banner at the top, and that's a value-added thing, since it will have video game highlights. Have you actually clicked on that and looked at what's available there? It's pretty cool.

In case you missed it, we aren't doing sponsorships any more, so the revenue's gotta come from somewhere. This place is totally free for you to use, and I make no apologies for running ads to support it.

And no, I don't make my living from this site. If I had to rely on the revenue from this place to live, I'd be living in a cardboard box down by the river, because I couldn't afford a van down by the river.

Finally, there are ways to turn off the ads on your end, and they're easy to find. Many people on here wlll tell you how to do it, and it won't hurt my feelings.

AlbqSooner
9/1/2011, 07:32 AM
NM

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2011, 07:34 AM
Phil is there anyway to move that video to somewhere else off the forum pages? maybe on your home page or something - its hideous...and seems to be the one thing everybody is complaining about

also - arcade? coming back?

Phil
9/1/2011, 07:38 AM
If everybody is complaining about it, they're not complaining to me. I've heard a few, to be sure, but a very few.

And, yes, the arcade is coming back. There was a security problem with the newest version of it that just got resolved, which is why it wasn't back already.

C&CDean
9/1/2011, 07:42 AM
Haytas gonna hayte...

dolemitesooner
9/1/2011, 07:42 AM
I am just so dizzy from it all.

I will come back and try to turn this stuff off when my head quits spinning.

See you all Saturday.

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2011, 07:43 AM
Haytas gonna hayte...

if i remember correctly, he DID ask for feedback......dont take it as a personal attack on you

dolemitesooner
9/1/2011, 07:44 AM
I'll stab you with a pnecil when you come and work out if I hear one more PEEP out of you!

ha!

dolemitesooner
9/1/2011, 07:44 AM
Oh my lord JK. Dean is messing. Your such a woman

C&CDean
9/1/2011, 07:45 AM
if i remember correctly, he DID ask for feedback......dont take it as a personal attack on you

Try decaf. You're welcome.

sooner n houston
9/1/2011, 08:29 AM
Well, FWIW, I hate it too. The only time I get on SF anymore is while I am at work. That video thing eats up my laptop at home!

badger
9/1/2011, 08:37 AM
If everybody is complaining about it, they're not complaining to me. I've heard a few, to be sure, but a very few.

OK, I'll toss it out there that if the video could be placed elsewhere, like the bottom of the forum instead of the top, I'd be all for that. I would prefer video highlights embedded in threads instead of out there on every page.

The reason is because there are uber firewalls/security on some computers I use and so it appears as a big "page not found" or "not authorized" or whatever everytime this site loads, so I wouldn't be able to view it anyway.

:P I also have been asked what the capital (or do they mean capitol?) of Texas is about a billion times already. It's Houston, right?

SteelClip49
9/1/2011, 08:58 AM
you pansies stop complaining. The advertisements aren't that bad. The people who complain are worse than the ads.

Lawton4Life
9/1/2011, 09:35 AM
OK, I'll toss it out there that if the video could be placed elsewhere, like the bottom of the forum instead of the top, I'd be all for that. I would prefer video highlights embedded in threads instead of out there on every page.

The reason is because there are uber firewalls/security on some computers I use and so it appears as a big "page not found" or "not authorized" or whatever everytime this site loads, so I wouldn't be able to view it anyway.

:P I also have been asked what the capital (or do they mean capitol?) of Texas is about a billion times already. It's Houston, right?

Capitol is a building in which legislative people meet.

Everything else is capital. Be it money for investing or state capitals.

so there ya go :)

achiro
9/1/2011, 11:07 AM
I don't know if all phones are like my iphone when trying to view this site but I hate it and have just stopped browsing when I don't have a computer around. I've got adblock on my computers now and it's helped but not on the phone. are you going to make this place tapatalk ready so the iphone is easier to use?

soonerboomer93
9/1/2011, 11:46 AM
Click some damn adds

Actually the video thing up top is much better on the side. I wish you would get rid of the side banner ad though. Personally to me it's annoy to have the big white space (or add) on the side when I'm in side posts. would rather see it at the top or bottom.

BigTip
9/1/2011, 11:47 AM
And no, I don't make my living from this site. If I had to rely on the revenue from this place to live, I'd be living in a cardboard box down by the river, because I couldn't afford a van down by the river.

That's funny. Really did make me lol.

Phil
9/1/2011, 11:50 AM
We are waiting on Apple to approve us so we can submit the iPhone app and all your problems will be solved as far as that goes.

I don't know if all phones are like my iphone when trying to view this site but I hate it and have just stopped browsing when I don't have a computer around. I've got adblock on my computers now and it's helped but not on the phone. are you going to make this place tapatalk ready so the iphone is easier to use?

sanantoniosooner
9/1/2011, 11:53 AM
I don't know if all phones are like my iphone when trying to view this site but I hate it and have just stopped browsing when I don't have a computer around. I've got adblock on my computers now and it's helped but not on the phone. are you going to make this place tapatalk ready so the iphone is easier to use?same issue with my tablet. If I can block Ads with my stock browser, I haven't figured out how yet.
The app might come in useful in that case.

proud gonzo
9/1/2011, 01:31 PM
you pansies stop complaining. The advertisements aren't that bad. The people who complain are worse than the ads.

I totally read that as "The people who complain are worse than the AIDS." :eek:

StoopTroup
9/1/2011, 02:03 PM
I think there needs to be more ads.

Pricetag
9/1/2011, 05:03 PM
I don't like the video box. I don't see myself ever using it.

Frozen Sooner
9/1/2011, 07:09 PM
I totally read that as "The people who complain are worse than the AIDS." :eek:

Doleo is much worse than the AIDS.

badger
9/1/2011, 10:31 PM
OK, so an auto video ad for Febreeze just started talking on my computer. That is totally gonna get someone busted at work or elsewhere (staying up late on sf.com, hmmm????).

Any way to just have non-audio, non-video ads?

soonerboomer93
9/2/2011, 10:24 AM
click some damn ads you free loaders

olevetonahill
9/2/2011, 10:30 AM
click some damn ads you free loaders

HEH.

ouleaf
9/2/2011, 10:34 AM
Can you introduce me to the blond chick with the huge rack....she should be on more of these ads

OULenexaman
9/2/2011, 12:54 PM
yep.....I have no problem with that ad.

OU_Sooners75
9/2/2011, 01:02 PM
Doleo, the only advertising on the new site that wasn't on the old site is the big video banner at the top, and that's a value-added thing, since it will have video game highlights. Have you actually clicked on that and looked at what's available there? It's pretty cool.

In case you missed it, we aren't doing sponsorships any more, so the revenue's gotta come from somewhere. This place is totally free for you to use, and I make no apologies for running ads to support it.

Finally, there are ways to turn off the ads on your end, and they're easy to find. Many people on here wlll tell you how to do it, and it won't hurt my feelings.

Come on phil, I checked that out. The digital video thing is another affiliate to help you make money on this site. You can purchase a license to get rid of the advertisements.

As far as the other ads, never seen them before because we used to be able to turn them off (if you can, I havent found it). We are stuck with a crap load of ads, 2 from the digital video thing, one on the right side bar and google adsense.

I love SF.com, but this **** is ridiculous!

OU_Sooners75
9/2/2011, 01:06 PM

And, yes, the arcade is coming back. There was a security problem with the newest version of it that just got resolved, which is why it wasn't back already.

There hasnt been a security issue with the arcade with the newest version. There has been a security issue with vbulletin from 4.1.3 to 4.1.5 and all it took was a 20 second download and a 10 second upload to fix the problem.

The only reason I know this, is because I have been helping set up another site that uses the same software as here and it has worked just fine.

BTW, anyway you can get rid of some of this blue grayish colors and make it look more Sooner flavorable?

Phil
9/2/2011, 03:11 PM
Come on phil, I checked that out. The digital video thing is another affiliate to help you make money on this site.

Who in their right mind would have thought otherwise? It has advertising, for Pete's sake. God forbid that a website would generate revenue.

You can purchase a license to get rid of the advertisements.

So, let me get this straight. It's bad to have advertisements and generate revenue, but I should spend the money I'm not making on the site to license the video? You're talking in circles.

As far as the other ads, never seen them before because we used to be able to turn them off (if you can, I havent found it). We are stuck with a crap load of ads, 2 from the digital video thing, one on the right side bar and google adsense.

I love SF.com, but this **** is ridiculous!

I've never turned them off and they don't bother me. This whole discussion is ridiculous. Complaining about the mere existence of advertising on websites went out in like 1998.

Phil
9/2/2011, 03:12 PM
Yes, there has been a security issue - the arcade plugin was quarantined.

There hasnt been a security issue with the arcade with the newest version. There has been a security issue with vbulletin from 4.1.3 to 4.1.5 and all it took was a 20 second download and a 10 second upload to fix the problem.

The only reason I know this, is because I have been helping set up another site that uses the same software as here and it has worked just fine.

BTW, anyway you can get rid of some of this blue grayish colors and make it look more Sooner flavorable?

Phil
9/2/2011, 03:14 PM
Oh, and I like the name of your "new" site. Originality is not your strong suit.

It seems to have ads, too.

Phil
9/2/2011, 03:18 PM
Those are supposed to be muted all the time. I will check on that.

OK, so an auto video ad for Febreeze just started talking on my computer. That is totally gonna get someone busted at work or elsewhere (staying up late on sf.com, hmmm????).

Any way to just have non-audio, non-video ads?

Phil
9/2/2011, 04:07 PM
That ad has been pulled. Thanks for letting me know.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2011, 04:07 PM
Oh, and I like the name of your "new" site. Originality is not your strong suit.

It seems to have ads, too.

oh c'mon and be a sport - share a link why dont ya?

Phil
9/2/2011, 04:12 PM
Oh, I'm sure it'll dribble out eventually. StoopTroup had a link to it in his sig, which is the only reason anyone knows it exists.

oh c'mon and be a sport - share a link why dont ya?

Breadburner
9/2/2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all your hard-work Phil....The noob's will figure it out the hard way.....

StoopTroup
9/2/2011, 05:09 PM

badger
9/2/2011, 09:54 PM
Another thing on the video ad next to video player... the site takes wwaaaaaay long to load now on anything less that uber speed internet. The hotel internet i used in seattle sometimes couldnt load sf.com... and if it did, took forever.

Please reconsider having both at the top of the site juxtaposed.

salth2o
9/2/2011, 10:06 PM
Another thing on the video ad next to video player... the site takes wwaaaaaay long to load now on anything less that uber speed internet. The hotel internet i used in seattle sometimes couldnt load sf.com... and if it did, took forever.

Please reconsider having both at the top of the site juxtaposed.

Quit staying at hotels that you rent by teh hour. ;)

Sooner_Tuf
9/2/2011, 11:13 PM
I am using Firefox on a Mac and I don't see any ads. I did add the address for the video thing to the default ad blocker and it no longer shows up or slows down the site. It looks about the same as the old one for me.

I don't mind giving money to support a site I use as much as this one. I understand some of the costs and effort that must be involved to run the site. I don't mind helping out monetarily. I would like to see up it on game days though.

Peach Fuzz
9/7/2011, 01:16 PM
Hate to bump this crap but there is a kawasaki ad that I can't mute and it's on every page scaring me to death... any tips that I could mute it??

Turd_Ferguson
9/7/2011, 01:41 PM
Hate to bump this crap but there is a kawasaki ad that I can't mute and it's on every page scaring me to death... any tips that I could mute it??YWIA...

http://frachelli.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Bose-noise-cancelling-headphones-quiet-comfort.png

yermom
9/7/2011, 01:43 PM
1) install Chrome if you aren't already using it: http://www.google.com/chrome

2) install AdBlock Plus: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

3) install FlashBlock: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gofhjkjmkpinhpoiabjplobcaignabnl

4) win.

if you are using Firefox, there are similar extensions, if you are using IE, stop.

tator
9/7/2011, 10:29 PM
I have one Kawasaki ad shaking my walls and two Honda motorcycle ads. Best part is that the ads freeze my browser for at least 2 seconds every page load, so I can't escape the speaker blowing crotch rocket on my screen. So which should I get, Honda or Kawasaki?

OutlandTrophy
9/8/2011, 07:18 AM
the UPS add comes on with sound automatically as well

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2011, 07:20 AM
the UPS add comes on with sound automatically as well

Does Dean know about this?

C&CDean
9/8/2011, 08:26 AM
UPS is delivering a bunch of ammo to my crib - hopefully today. USPS can't carry it. Gotta stock up for the dooshpocalypse.

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2011, 08:36 AM
UPS is delivering a bunch of ammo to my crib - hopefully today. USPS can't carry it. Gotta stock up for the dooshpocalypse.

UPS is delivering a .50 cal muzzle loader to my residence

i just hope they dont leave it on the damn door step

C&CDean
9/8/2011, 08:53 AM
UPS is delivering a .50 cal muzzle loader to my residence

i just hope they dont leave it on the damn door step

They will. I've ordered a new satellite dish for the tailgates, a tripod, a bunch of shooting supplies from Midway USA, and some other **** from Amazon.com. Every time they drop it on the front porch. Of course the house is about a half-mile from the road so it's no big deal, but in town I'd be pissed.

C&CDean
9/8/2011, 08:54 AM
What kinda muzzleloader did you buy?

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2011, 08:55 AM
I got a used thompson center on gunbroker for $220

with a scope - looks to be in pretty good condition

C&CDean
9/8/2011, 08:58 AM
Black Diamond? Omega?

I have a couple TC's that I hunt with. I've bagged 3 elk, 2 of which are on the wall, and a crapload of white tails with them. Mine are both Black Diamonds - one is an "XR" which is extended range. It just has a longer barrell. Both are stainless - which is the only way to go with black powder. I've got a blued CVS and it's rustier than a 65 Pontiac in Chicago.

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2011, 09:04 AM
i'm actually not sure - its not listed on the description , but it is blued

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2011, 09:05 AM
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/248591000/248591108/pix898246761.jpg

C&CDean
9/8/2011, 09:18 AM
Dude, that's an oldie. I don't think it's even an in-line. Should be fun to shoot. Not sure if I'd want to hunt with it, but burning some powder would be fun.

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2011, 09:23 AM
i've got two tags to fill during muzzleloader season in Nebraska in December..i'm gonna take it to the range just to get familiar with it ...i've never fired one before, so that alone should be "fun"

soonercruiser
9/8/2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all your hard-work Phil....The noob's will figure it out the hard way.....

Megga dittos thanks for the work on the site Phil. :victorious:

But, I do agree with the video banner drawbacks on the top of the page.
Depending on which computer I'm using, it can take long to load, cover up some of the top of the page, and delay linking to other things on the page.