PDA

View Full Version : Austin Box would be proud of his legacy

The Maestro
8/31/2011, 11:53 PM
May The Maestro have a moment? I've been on this board as AmbassadorofRed, RedOnTheHead and The Maestro for over 10 years now...so please, allow me.

My oldest son, Landon, has been a Sooner fan since birth. Way back when, we posted pics of him on this board when he was in Kindergarten walking onto the Lloyd Noble Center floor the night Hollis hit a jumper to beat Texas Tech on ESPN with the whole clock issue...

Well, time has passed. Honestly, Landon grew up battling a weight problem. But his Mom and me always encouraged him to try and be healthy and work to make himself feel better. Kids are mean...and they made fun of him along the way. But he battled...got in shape...and found his sweet spot in life with his friends.

Time passed and he wanted to play football. But his dang middle school only offered flag football...and he was blessed with his dad's speed. Flag football sucked. Landon started his freshman year of high school this year and was determined to play football. He started practice in the Arizona heat the first week of June. Weights, core training and outdoor practice week after week after week. Time came to pick numbers. Time came to pick positions. Landon was a linebacker. He loved hitting and tackling. We talked and he asked his coaches if he could wear number 12...in honor of Austin Box...as his nickname is Sooner on the team. His team wears black and red so every day Landon wore his black gym shorts and a different OU shirt every day. When his coaches told him he got #12, Landon was PUMPED! And why not?

We watched all the ESPN All Access shows and the final Training Days video...it put things in perspective for Landon. He had never played tackle football. He is at a football powerhouse school. But he is determined.

Tonight the Williams Field BlackHawks freshman football team took the field for the first time...and with a nice 30-0 lead at halftime, the reserves knew they were gonna get some playing time. Landon took the field and gave the Sammy Sosa-esque kiss to the sky...in honor of Austin Box. And a Dad couldn't be more proud. Not every play came his way...but he came on a blitz one time and assisted on the sack. He had three other tackles. And he did the #12 proud...and he is inspired by Austin Box.

Football. Life. Landon ain't ever playing for OU...but OU did something to him this year with the Austin Box story and Landon's desire to wear his number in Gilbert, Arizona, and make a statement...at least to me and him.

Boomer Freaking Sooner...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312929_2388335191362_1340290916_32823295_349405_n. jpg

The Maestro
8/31/2011, 11:55 PM
Sure hoping this post isn't just showing a pic of me as it is on my computer...cause I am not the story here...this is a pic of me and Landon. Please tell me my jacked up computer is the only showcasing the old fart.

cvsooner
9/1/2011, 12:06 AM
No, the pic shows up fine. Both of you. Kid's in a white jersey with a big grin on his face. Nice post, dude. Congrats to you and the offspring!

sooneredaco
9/1/2011, 01:03 AM
I only see you in the pic... But who cares, great post and congrats to your boy for a good game

aj44mc
9/1/2011, 01:10 AM
Very nice. What class is Williams Field? I miss living in the Chandler/Gilbert area.

olevetonahill
9/1/2011, 02:05 AM
I feel like such a nOOb, Ive only been here 7 years.

Yes the Pic is great, ya just have to scroll over.

Great story and Grats on a great Son .

Who the hell says he wont ever play for OU . I think that depends on his ability to work hard .
Good luck in where ever he goes

The Maestro
9/1/2011, 07:49 AM
Very nice. What class is Williams Field? I miss living in the Chandler/Gilbert area.

Level 3 or whatever they call it. Probably like Class 4A. It's a growing school...only about five years old, but a football power.

C&CDean
9/1/2011, 07:57 AM
So you were redonthehead. I was gonna bane that sumbitch if I ever saw him again...

Cool story. It's too bad these college football players don't realize just how huge of an impact they can have until it's usually too late. Hope your boy does good.

On a sidenote, I hate Chandler with the heat of the Arizona sun. When I was a wee lad, we had to drive from Tucson to Phoenix - before I-10 was open. We took that Florence Hwy. up through Chandler (which was nothing but cotton fields and irrigation ditches back then). I remember several times dad having to stop, pop the hood, and pour some more water into the radiator outta those burlap bags that used to hang over the grill up front. Who remembers those things? It always seemed to be right about Chandler when we over heated. Heh. I wouldn't even recognize it now.

salth2o
9/1/2011, 08:45 AM
great story.

IslandSooner
9/1/2011, 09:11 AM
Very good story.....thanks,
Boomer Sooner

mushu405
9/1/2011, 09:15 AM
Football. Life. Landon ain't ever playing for OU...but OU did something to him this year with the Austin Box story and Landon's desire to wear his number in Gilbert, Arizona, and make a statement...at least to me and him.

Boomer Freaking Sooner...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312929_2388335191362_1340290916_32823295_349405_n. jpg

Why not play for OU? Determination and effort goes a long way and he's only a freshman. Great story none the less!

BOOMER!

SunnySooner
9/1/2011, 09:19 AM
Awesome!!!! I'm sure Austin is smiling down on Landon, or should I say 'Maestro Mini-Me', jeez!!! Hope he has a great year, he's a lucky kid. ;)

XingTheRubicon
9/1/2011, 09:24 AM
Great story Maestro. My son's only 10 months old and I'm already training him to walk on at OU...apparently you can even start at running back! Anyway, back to your kid, he looks so incredibly happy in that pic. No matter what happens in life, it sure feels pretty damn good to see your kids with looks like that on their faces.

Well done.

LVSOONER15
9/1/2011, 09:37 AM
Nice story Maestro, good luck to you and Landon.

Buster
9/1/2011, 09:39 AM
Good Job!

The Maestro
9/1/2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks, everyone! As for Landon working hard and getting to OU...well, of course I would love it. He will have to overcome the speed he inherited from his Dad. But he is working hard...and loves it. He was still beaming this morning.

C&C Dean...I still take that highway when we go to see my father in law in Casa Grande...and still not much there, but it probably extends further out. While you guys are about to get a break from your heat, October 1st is the target date for us here. That is when we get a break for 8 months.

zeke
9/1/2011, 10:32 AM
Good for Landon!!!

sooner94
9/1/2011, 05:03 PM
Great story. Thanks for posting that. Good luck to #12.

VA Sooner
9/1/2011, 05:20 PM
Great story, Maestro. You should be very proud of your son... tell 'em we're proud.

Be a good person first, a good player second.

aj44mc
9/1/2011, 10:44 PM
I graduated from ASU poly on Williams Field Rd in '06, and I remember the school being built. That whole area is so nice now.

oudanny
9/2/2011, 08:58 AM
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

BigJerm7
9/2/2011, 09:26 AM
When I became a Father my Dad told me to be a better Father than he was. So far so good.

Even though it's not "cool", I bought a #12 jersey to wear to the games this year.

PLaw
9/2/2011, 01:50 PM
Props, Maestro. I've been enjoying your POV on this board for many years. Kudos to your son for wanting to carry on the No. 12 legacy. Sounds like he did us all proud. Here a few words of encouragement for him:

My dad, 'Dog Lawson, played at Norman High in the late 40's and was an all-state DE / OT. Here are a couple of his words that have made a big difference to me in life:

1) Always hustle - there are things that you cannot control, but only you can control how much you hustle.

2) Let your actions talk for you. If you need to talk about yourself, then you're trying to convince yourself of your ability. Let your actions speak for themselves.

And, here is one from a collegue that played with Mike at Iowa and in the Rose Bowl:

"Never, ever let anybody out work you. There will always be others that may be smarter and have more talent, but there is no excuse for anybody to work harder than you." It served Tim well as a walk-on at Iowa who earned significant PT for the 'hawks.

Keep us posted on his progress - I know the wife and I are sitting around looking at each other on Friday nights now that our son has finished his playing days and is at OU this fall.

BOOMER