PDA

View Full Version : If it's not night putting, it's night mowing...

Wishboned
8/31/2011, 11:19 PM
http://newsok.com/430-a.m.-mowing-leads-to-oklahoma-city-mans-arrest/article/3599573

An Oklahoma City man said he was doing a good deed when he was arrested and cited for mowing his yard and a neighbor's yard Friday morning.
Phil Ray Gage, 40, was arrested on a complaint of disturbing the peace after a neighbor called police to report him for mowing a lawn at 2529 NW 33 at 4:30 a.m., Oklahoma City police said.
He was released by police at the scene after he signed a citation for disturbing the peace.
But Gage said he's been mowing in the early morning hours for 10 years, and nobody has complained before.
He said when he was arrested he was in the process of finishing up mowing his neighbor's yard.
“When the officer came up to me she asked me if I knew it was illegal to mow at that time of day,” Gage said. “I thought she was cracking a joke. Then she told me to get up against the car, and she put cuffs on me.”
Gage said he mows in the early morning hours because of the heat and because it fits his work schedule best.
Gage said the light from his neighbor's yard and his yard provides enough light for him to mow.
“I'm a carpenter, so I have to mow when I can,” he said. “That time is just what works best because of the heat and my job.”
Gage said he never has had problems with his neighbors.
“We all know each other,” he said. “We watch out for each other's houses. I have phone numbers for just about all my neighbors except for the guy that lives across the street. I don't know him as well.”
Gage said he would have stopped mowing in the early morning hours if someone had asked him to.
“I just wished he would have talked to me about it before he called the police,” he said. “If people wanted me to stop, I'd stop.”
Gage said he intends to fight the ticket.
“I'm going to try to fight it,” he said. “It's unreal how I got treated for mowing a yard.”
According to police reports, Gage became argumentative when officers arrived and asked him to turn off his mower, but Gage said he complied immediately.
“I did what she told me to do,” he said. “Believe me, if I had said one thing to her she would have taken me to jail.”
The neighbor who called police could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Read more: http://newsok.com/430-a.m.-mowing-leads-to-oklahoma-city-mans-arrest/article/3599573#ixzz1WfffFaPz

olevetonahill
8/31/2011, 11:27 PM
What a bunch of dooshbags

CrimsonKel
9/1/2011, 02:29 AM
If he'd been using an unpowered reel mower they wouldn't have known he was mowing.

SCOUT
9/1/2011, 03:18 AM
No good deed goes unpunished.

KABOOKIE
9/1/2011, 06:06 AM
Up against the car and in handcuffs for mowing in the am? Gotta love cops.

olevetonahill
9/1/2011, 06:21 AM
Bitches Man Bitches

picasso
9/1/2011, 07:46 AM
He's no Mitch Comesteen.

C&CDean
9/1/2011, 07:50 AM
That's why living in town sucks the large one. I can shoot a high-powered rifle at any hour of the day, and the only one who'd complain would be momma.

TUSooner
9/1/2011, 07:59 AM

You also gotta love the people who call the cops before having a simple conversation with their neighbor.

Hot Rod
9/1/2011, 08:18 AM
You also gotta love the people who call the cops before having a simple conversation with their neighbor.

Well, after 10 years of mowing at 4:30am, who could blame them? :uncomfortableness:

badger
9/1/2011, 08:27 AM
Earliest I've mowed is 7, which is also the earliest I let me dogs out to bark at squirrels, hehe

Frozen Sooner
9/1/2011, 08:34 AM
Did a neighbor call to complain? When I read the article last night, it sounded like the cop was just driving by and noticed this guy making a ton of noise at 4:30 in the morning.

As a crotchety old man living in an apartment building with a bunch of undergrads, I have a slightly different perspective: someone making a ****-ton of noise when they know damn well and good other people are trying to sleep aren't really entitled to the courtesy of a conversation. Getting dressed at 2:30am and wandering from apartment to apartment trying to find the cockknob who's standing on his balcony screaming "ROOOOLLL TAAAAHD!" at the top of his lungs when I have an 8:20am class isn't my idea of a great time.

All that said, sounds like this guy's a nice dude and it wasn't like he was hard to find even after going back to sleep and taking to him at a reasonable hour. If someone called the cops on him without talking to him, kind of a doosher move.

OhU1
9/1/2011, 08:48 AM
What Froz said.

My old man is pretty bad about doing noisy chores at the buttcrack of dawn but even he wouldn't mow the lawn at 4:30 am. I had to read the story to him yesterday and laughed. Sleepers rights! :)

JohnnyMack
9/1/2011, 09:14 AM
Did a neighbor call to complain? When I read the article last night, it sounded like the cop was just driving by and noticed this guy making a ton of noise at 4:30 in the morning.

As a crotchety old man living in an apartment building with a bunch of undergrads, I have a slightly different perspective: someone making a ****-ton of noise when they know damn well and good other people are trying to sleep aren't really entitled to the courtesy of a conversation. Getting dressed at 2:30am and wandering from apartment to apartment trying to find the cockknob who's standing on his balcony screaming "ROOOOLLL TAAAAHD!" at the top of his lungs when I have an 8:20am class isn't my idea of a great time.

All that said, sounds like this guy's a nice dude and it wasn't like he was hard to find even after going back to sleep and taking to him at a reasonable hour. If someone called the cops on him without talking to him, kind of a doosher move.

You should confront them nekkid. That'll scare 'em off.

TUSooner
9/1/2011, 09:41 AM

Well, when you put it THAT way.... :biggrin:

At 0430 I might be more inclined to pick up the phone before going outside.

achiro
9/1/2011, 11:11 AM
Unbelievable that she cuffed him.

Soonerfan88
9/1/2011, 10:35 PM
Well, when you put it THAT way.... :biggrin:

At 0430 I might be more inclined to pick up the phone before going outside.

I would still talk to him at least once about it. If he continued to mow that early after I complained, then I'd call.

And to cuff the guy? Just write him a ticket and be on your way....

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2011, 02:37 AM
I feel that at this point it might be important to point out there's differing versions of the story. The guy says he complied immediately. The cop says he got argumentative and refused.

Personally, I think it sounds a little more reasonable that the guy was cuffed after refusing to comply than the cop just drove up, told the guy to turn off his lawnmower, and then cuffed him when he did. Not saying it didn't happen, because cops sure can be dicks sometimes, but one story passes the smell test a little better.

"I thought she was cracking a joke" could very well mean that when she told him what he was doing was illegal he said "Are you ****ing kidding me?"

We also only have his word for it that nobody had complained to him before.

Dunno. Wasn't there.