PDA

View Full Version : 2011 predictions

XingTheRubicon
8/31/2011, 03:30 PM
For purposes of full disclosure, I've posted here since 1999 and I've never predicted OU to win the NC.

I've usually been the contrarian (see 2005) when most thought OU would never miss a beat even though we lost the o-line, QB, defense, etc.

However, this particular year 2011, I honestly believe OU will not only go undefeated through the BCS title game, but will finish in the top 5 for margin of victory in the history of CFB.

2 main reasons:

1. OU's receiving corp. In '03 and '08, OU lost the NC game to LSU and FL because our small receivers were mugged at the LOS and held on every passing play. Now, to be fair, our defense was allowed to do the same, but it was a great equalizer, especially vs LSU...and unfortunately for OU, Big XII play was officiated on the polar opposite side when it comes to defensive holding.

In 2011, however, we have our Mark Clayton-type receiver in Ryan Broyles, but we also have Stills, Miller, Hanna, and Franks. I just don't think you can stop them all with a competent QB and a decent running game...and OU has maybe a Heisman QB and possibly a dangerous running game. Not many defenses can stop that many sizeable weapons, even Alabama or LSU type agressive D's.

OU's D will at least be very good vs the pass and that will make it extremely difficult for opponents to keep pace or especially catch up to OU's offense.

2. Everyone else sucks. Down year for the SEC, Ohio St and USC are Gary Gibbin it for a while, Texas sucks like whore at a naval shipyard, and Oregon has a new o-line and a QB hooked on the chronic.

I think our toughest and closest game this year will vs the 2nd best team in the country, and believe me I absolutely hate typing this...Texas A&M. I think A&M will only lose one game, (to us obviously) and win the rest including a BCS win.

Here's to hopefully a great year and no one getting hurt, except Mack Brown's stepson.

tfoolry
8/31/2011, 03:40 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dAXVIFX7LOY/TgGaJPRwT-I/AAAAAAAAbus/_r-fiTrohIg/s1600/AdmiralAckbar2.gif

LVSOONER15
8/31/2011, 03:42 PM
I also think we run the table and get #8. we are scary good on both sides of the ball. Hopefully our special teams can add another dimension, we need great play from them.

rock on sooner
8/31/2011, 04:09 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about this year as well, since our play calling will surely be superior to the "Long Debacle" of 03. To this day,
I do not understand why he called four pass plays after the rushing game had completely gassed the LSU defense. I'm confident that
Josh will go with what works! Boomer Sooner for #8!

rock on sooner
8/31/2011, 04:10 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about this year as well, since our play calling will surely be superior to the "Long Debacle" of 03. To this day,
I do not understand why he called four pass plays after the rushing game had completely gassed the LSU defense. I'm confident that

8timechamps
8/31/2011, 04:20 PM
For superstitious reasons, I will not make any season predictions (other than week to week scores), since my "lock-o-the-century" prediction in '05.

However, I do have some predictions of things I think will happen in college football:

1. Kansas will be better than advertised. Not anywhere near the top of the conference, but possibly 5-6 wins.

2. Bill Snyder will announce his retirement at the end of a less than stellar season for KSU.

3. Auburn will finish 4th (possibly 5th) in the SEC West.

4. Former Big XIIer Colorado will win at least one game they are not supposed to (Ohio State, Oregon or possibly Stanford), otherwise finish with a very mediocre season.

5. A team outside of the preseason top 20 will be surprisingly close to a spot in the NC game (but will lose in a last regular season game or conference championship game)...possibly Michigan State or West Virginia.

In the interest of full disclosure, I suck at predictions.

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2011, 04:45 PM

Whether you understand it or not, the fact is we had a wide open receiver standing in the middle of the endzone with our Heisman winning QB throwing to him. I'd take that situation any day and it's just a shame JW overthrew the pass.

As for predictions: If OU turns out to be an elite, BCS-title level team, it will require some new players to step up and become stars. Probably some we haven't discussed much.

VA Sooner
8/31/2011, 06:33 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic every year after having such high hopes in 2003 and 2004.

My goals are simpler now... good games against good teams and not looking like schmucks against the rest.

Oh... and beating Texas every year.

VA Sooner
8/31/2011, 06:34 PM

Dwight
8/31/2011, 06:36 PM
I predict OU to win #8 every year, but this season, I seriously think it's going to happen.

jumperstop
8/31/2011, 06:55 PM
I think they have a chance every year or at least most. But I don't go making predictions because I believe that it's bad joojoo to "mark it down". I would rather just enjoy the games as they come and complain after they are done. Unless it was the perfect game, but there is always something to bitch about.

Sooner95
8/31/2011, 07:39 PM
Ok I'll play..

Our toughest game, i beleive will be in Tallahassee..aTm will be tough, but we have them in Norman.

the bedlam game will be a good one as well. I hope both teams are undefeated so the hype builds and we can crush them Pokes dreams, yet again. :D

I've heard some predictions of OU vs Boise for NC..I'd like nothing better than to avenge that one in the biggest way. of course, I'd take beating down the SEC (bama') as well.

I will predict we win the NC as well. we are loaded up and hungry.

BudSooner
8/31/2011, 07:42 PM
First off, let me be perfectly clear....I like chronic.

That being said, let's begin.

1. Iowa State will have a great year and challenge for a Big XII title.

Just ****ing with ya, they do finish 4th in the conference though.

WAKE FORREST WILL DOMINATE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

Have I said I like teh chronic? :D

But seriously folks, OU wins out and plays and beats the horse **** out of a solid Oregon team in teh MNC.

AlbqSooner
9/1/2011, 07:47 AM
But seriously folks, OU wins out and plays and beats the horse **** out of a solid Oregon team in teh MNC.

This is a very real possibility.

I recall Switzer being asked the secret to his winning back in the mid 80s. He said:

"You get the best coaches and the best players; You work hard, win the games you are supposed to; and , you have a little luck."

The reporter asked what luck had to do with it. He said that you have to be lucky enough not to get a critical injury at the wrong time and lucky enough not to get a critical (bad) call at the wrong time.

With a little luck, this team will hoist the crystal at the end of the season.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/1/2011, 08:23 AM
Actually, the biggest problem in 2003 is Jason White had a broken hand on his throwing arm and the biggest problem in 2008 was not having the most important Sooner on defense in Ryan Reynolds at the linebacker spot and Demarco Murray on offense. While those are the breaks, if there was a role reversal where Matt Mauck had a broken had on his throwing arm and Florida was without Percy Harvin and Brandon Spikes, Coach Stoops has two more BCS title wins to his credit. That's not speculation, that's being logical. Those are the breaks though, but hopefully, Oklahoma can be the more healthy team in the BCS title game for once as it has been awhile for that scenario. Football isn't a game of inches, it's a game of injuries.

Oklahoma couldn't of asked for a more perfect schedule setup this season outside of the screw job they got thanks to Texas ensuring that Oklahoma had to make back to back road trips to Oklahoma St. It's funny how everyone in the conference has to play one or more teams on the road this season that they already played on the road against last season, yet Texas doesn't have a single game where that is the case. Oklahoma should beat Oklahoma St. for the usual reasons, but I find it highly questionable on how that arrangement ended up happening.

The Maestro
9/1/2011, 10:21 AM
Great post, XTR...can't believe you are dropping the title hammer prediction! But I agree with all your reasons, except I am not as sold on aTm as you. Need to see just a bit more before I go that far. And the fact the game is in Norman means a lot. OU doesn't typically just win at home in big games...we usually win big. Just looked and from 2006 on no conference team has even lost by single digits in Norman. Let me say that again...the last five years every conference home game has been a 10 points or more win. That is not just a fluke streak...that is domination.

But my key reason I have the best feeling about this team is the same reason, in hindsight, the 2000 team was the way they were. Maturity, closeness, leadership and humility. I think this team can handle the pressure of number one. We have a great blend of quiet guys, fiery guys, crazy freakish athletes, overachieving hard workers, etc. This is a TEAM. No one we play is going to be better than us, so I think these factors will be the key in any games that come down to the wire.

There are 780 minutes of football to be played. If the team gives it their all for every one of them, number 8 is ours for the taking.

I think the FSU game will say a lot. Obviously, if we lose, we have slipped up somewhere or didn't execute like we can or need to. But if we win in that environment, with a team wanting to beat us that bad, with that crowd...who can beat us? That will be as hostile a place we will play. Sure, OSU has a great offense, but I still think their defense is so bad we can pick them apart like we did last year.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/1/2011, 10:25 AM
The loss of Von Miller for ATM will be the same impact that Oklahoma had last season without McCoy. Very noticeable and very negatively impacting. Regardless of that, ATM will get destroyed in Norman as usual. Tannehill won't quite be the surprise he was last season either.

BoulderSooner79
9/1/2011, 10:54 AM
But my key reason I have the best feeling about this team is the same reason, in hindsight, the 2000 team was the way they were. Maturity, closeness, leadership and humility. I think this team can handle the pressure of number one. We have a great blend of quiet guys, fiery guys, crazy freakish athletes, overachieving hard workers, etc. This is a TEAM. No one we play is going to be better than us, so I think these factors will be the key in any games that come down to the wire.

I agree with you Maestro, but as AlbqSooner (and really, coach Switzer) said, you have to have some luck too. We all know the 2000 squad was virtually injury free, but they also had the intangible that the defense got better at the end of the year just as the offense was starting to sputter a bit. Maybe that was luck, maybe not. I don't think a team has to be that injury free and already we are not (cough, T. Lewis, cough), but they can't have key players miss key games. I can almost guarantee the team that hoists the crystal ball next January will look back on a game or 2 and be amazed that they got there. Fans like to call it destiny, but that's something that's claimed after the fact.