PDA

View Full Version : Fixing MLK memorial

cccasooner2
8/31/2011, 02:49 PM
I think the Chinese should have said it like this to minimize the complaints.

"If drum major was I, justice, peace and righteousness be forthcoming for human spirit."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/maya-angelou-says-memorial-makes-mlk-look-arrogant-153930799.html

Caboose
8/31/2011, 09:50 PM
I don't see what is so offensive about it, personally.

This quote about "the critics" caught my eye -

"Much of the criticism centers around the statue of King, which was controversially designed by a Chinese artist and built by Chinese workers. (Critics said an African-American artist should be chosen.)"

It would appear that some of the critics might have missed Dr. King's message altogether.

SCOUT
9/1/2011, 02:55 AM
I don't see what is so offensive about it, personally.

This quote about "the critics" caught my eye -

"Much of the criticism centers around the statue of King, which was controversially designed by a Chinese artist and built by Chinese workers. (Critics said an African-American artist should be chosen.)"

It would appear that some of the critics might have missed Dr. King's message altogether.

That message seems to be missed often.

SicEmBaylor
9/1/2011, 03:16 AM
Actually, the Chinese building the MLK memorial is highly highly appropriate.

In any case, if the innumerable number of streets named MLK is any indication, you'll need a kevlar vest and an assault rifle to stay safe when visiting.

BU BEAR
9/1/2011, 09:00 AM
Personally, I prefer my MLK, Jr. to look like Hans Solo frozen in carbonite.

The inscription should read: "All Your Base Are Belong to Us. Take Off Every Zig for Great Justice."