PDA

View Full Version : You make the call

SanJoaquinSooner
8/31/2011, 02:21 AM
A recent college graduate seeks my advice about constructing a job resume.

I am interested in what advice you wise ones (especially masters of human relations) would give this person on one particular issue.

This young lady earned a B.S. in applied math. I look over the draft resume she showed me and I make a few suggestions about rearranging things and slight tinkering with the wording.

However, I wondered most about one thing. Her dad is Kuwaiti and her mom is Filipino. The last name she uses is similar to something like Al-Qadzetuni. I wonder if some employers would either consciously or unconsciously choose not to consider hiring her, at least in part due to the last name.

Later, I look her up on Facebook and notice that she has another, Anglo sounding last name - one not used on the resume. On Facebook she lists her religion as Catholic and graduated from a Catholic high school. I wonder, will employers, conjure up an image of a Muslin terrorist, instead of the adorable and somewhat exotic-looking all-American coed that she really is? Should I suggest to her to use the Anglo-sounding last name instead of Al-Qadzetuni?

Turd_Ferguson
8/31/2011, 03:53 AM
Si.

okie52
8/31/2011, 06:19 AM
Is she legal?

If not, turn her in.

badger
8/31/2011, 08:14 AM
If she was insistent on using her legal name, perhaps presenting her resume in person so that they can see she is "normal" would help. Some good references that the company is familiar with will also take care of an terrorist worries. Does she have any favorite professors or advisers? They might be able to steer her toward the best employers, or at least help her get an interview, regardless of what name is on top of her resume.

SCOUT
8/31/2011, 11:03 AM
Employers shouldn't use the sound of a person's name when considering their application because it could easily be used to generate a race claim. I would not be surprised if employers did do this though. Actually, I bet the majority of the times that the sound of the name factors in to the hiring decision, it is not a conscious thing.

I will say that with her degree in applied math, the possibility of her name have a negative impact is much smaller. In fact, it could result in the opposite of what we are worrying about. Just based on the name, is Tom Smith better at math than Xiang Huong?

JohnnyMack
8/31/2011, 11:07 AM
Homogenizing names to sound more American is nothing new.

Position Limit
8/31/2011, 11:07 AM
with a name like that, and parents from elsewhere, you should tell her to look for work on the east coast or west coast. she wont find work in oklahoma.

hawaii 5-0
8/31/2011, 11:30 AM
It's not fair but she should change her name.

5-0

yermom
8/31/2011, 11:34 AM
seems going anglo would bite her in the *** when they wanted to see transcripts, or get references, etc...

MR2-Sooner86
8/31/2011, 11:54 AM
I suggest she put down Jane Smith as her new name.

OULenexaman
8/31/2011, 12:19 PM
IF I CANT PRONOUNCE YER NAME I AINT GONNA HIRE YA!

OUMallen
8/31/2011, 12:36 PM
Nothing wrong with using a slightly different name as long as you tell HR what your legal name is, IMO. Plenty of divorcees do this.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/31/2011, 02:35 PM
My new name is Ted Bundy. Am I hired?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/31/2011, 08:46 PM
My new name is Ted Bundy. Am I hired?

Are you any good at detailing Volkswagens?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/31/2011, 10:51 PM
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/mal3-1.jpg

47straight
8/31/2011, 10:53 PM
No. She'll stand a much better chance of getting a leg up as a diversity hire than she will stand a chance of getting discriminated against.

Particularly at any place hiring math majors. Sure, Bubba's Bait and Tackle might discriminate. Big companies aren't.

47straight
8/31/2011, 10:54 PM
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/mal3-1.jpg

Two times.

olevetonahill
8/31/2011, 11:01 PM
Two times.
Perzackery

Now fer realz. Tell her use her real name , What ever she has on her DL
Good luck to her

hawaii 5-0
8/31/2011, 11:03 PM
She probably should change clothes before her interview.

Is she interviewing for a cocktail waitress?

5-0

olevetonahill
8/31/2011, 11:05 PM
Why you put this in the Politics forum ?
Oh and this is my 1st trip into this place

SanJoaquinSooner
9/1/2011, 01:33 PM
She probably should change clothes before her interview.

Is she interviewing for a cocktail waitress?

5-0

Well you're right, but I understand some employers check out the facebook page and this is among the pics they'd find.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/mal2-1.jpg

sooner_born_1960
9/1/2011, 01:53 PM
Definitely a terrorist.

SicEmBaylor
9/1/2011, 01:59 PM
A recent college graduate seeks my advice about constructing a job resume.

I am interested in what advice you wise ones (especially masters of human relations) would give this person on one particular issue.

This young lady earned a B.S. in applied math. I look over the draft resume she showed me and I make a few suggestions about rearranging things and slight tinkering with the wording.

However, I wondered most about one thing. Her dad is Kuwaiti and her mom is Filipino. The last name she uses is similar to something like Al-Qadzetuni. I wonder if some employers would either consciously or unconsciously choose not to consider hiring her, at least in part due to the last name.

Later, I look her up on Facebook and notice that she has another, Anglo sounding last name - one not used on the resume. On Facebook she lists her religion as Catholic and graduated from a Catholic high school. I wonder, will employers, conjure up an image of a Muslin terrorist, instead of the adorable and somewhat exotic-looking all-American coed that she really is? Should I suggest to her to use the Anglo-sounding last name instead of Al-Qadzetuni?

Can you tell her to get out?

SanJoaquinSooner
9/1/2011, 08:05 PM
Can you tell her to get out?

Why should you stay? What skills do you have?

hawaii 5-0
9/1/2011, 10:33 PM
She looks like she'd be right at home in Hawaii. Many women have her dark hair and complexion.

5-0

Trump/ Perry's stain 2012

SicEmBaylor
9/2/2011, 12:40 AM
Why should you stay? What skills do you have?
I'm a WASP. I'm grandfathered in.

yermom
9/2/2011, 01:35 AM
that's why this country sucks ;)