PDA

View Full Version : Sooners in the NFL roster news?

badger
8/30/2011, 02:34 PM
The Arizona Cardinals cut Eric Mensik.

The Carolina Panthers cut Duke Robinson.

Any other roster news of note? The 80-man roster deadline is right about now.

badger
8/30/2011, 03:27 PM
It is official -- Malcolm Kelly is out in Washington.

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/kelly-stitser-chappell-cut-mike-shanahan-says/2011/08/30/gIQATuLBqJ_blog.html)

They cut him while injured so perhaps he'll get an injury settlement if he can't get picked up by another team this year. Too bad. I expected so much more out of him after he jumped to the NFL early than an injury plagued career. :(

8timechamps
8/30/2011, 03:39 PM
Jeremy Beal and Quinton Carter are still on the Denver Roster. Q has seen a lot of playing time on both 2nd team defense and special teams, so I fully expect to see him make the 53 man. Jeremy has seen limited time on D, but has played very well on special teams.

trwxxa
8/30/2011, 08:41 PM
Cameron Kenney cut by the Chargers.

Too bad about Duke.

bigfatjerk
8/30/2011, 08:45 PM
Kenney was one of 12 WRs in camp. It was going to be tough for him to make that roster.

Boomerbox
8/30/2011, 09:35 PM
Iggy returned a kick for the Vikings on Sunday, and wasn't cut this weekend so I'm assuming he is still 4th on the depth chart (last one released was Aug 9), and Jon Cooper looks like he will become our starting C next to Loadholt and in front of AD. Oh, and we've also acquired SuperBowl champ Ayodele to replace Pat Williams! Awesome having that many Sooner's starting for my Vikes!

FIRST POST! Been a voyeur here long enough. What's up everyone from ol ouinsider lol.

8timechamps
8/30/2011, 10:22 PM
Iggy returned a kick for the Vikings on Sunday, and wasn't cut this weekend so I'm assuming he is still 4th on the depth chart (last one released was Aug 9), and Jon Cooper looks like he will become our starting C next to Loadholt and in front of AD. Oh, and we've also acquired SuperBowl champ Ayodele to replace Pat Williams! Awesome having that many Sooner's starting for my Vikes!

FIRST POST! Been a voyeur here long enough. What's up everyone from ol ouinsider lol.

I keep liking the Vikings more and more.

sooner59
8/31/2011, 01:15 AM
I just realized that the offensive line of the Washington Redskin offensive line has Sooners as 3 of the 5 starters.

LT - Trent Williams
RG - Chris Chester
RT - Jammal Brown

That is a group of hogs right there.

SoonerLaw09
8/31/2011, 09:55 AM
Oh no you did NOT just make me even think for a nanosecond about cheering for the Redskins... :P

sooner59
8/31/2011, 10:14 AM
I'm not a Skins fan, just an observation. I'm not really a fan of any specific NFL team. I'm one of those who basically just cheers for certain players....former Sooners and anybody on my fantasy team. :D

badger
8/31/2011, 10:32 AM

Welcome... even though I'm a Packers fan and dislike the Vikings on principle alone. Same went for da Bears, even back when they had four Sooners on roster (Tommie, Mark, JD and Dusty)

Breadburner
8/31/2011, 10:33 AM
I'm not a Skins fan, just an observation. I'm not really a fan of any specific NFL team. I'm one of those who basically just cheers for certain players....former Sooners and anybody on my fantasy team. :D

Anyone that beats the Dallass Cowgirls....

badger
8/31/2011, 10:37 AM
I just checked NFL transactions report on their site and didn't see any that we missed. I would love nothing more than to pay out mega vCash for all of the Sooners on NFL rosters over on vBookie, but there is a huuuuuuuuuuuge difference in making a 80-man cut and making a final 53-man roster... although making the practice squad is a happy medium (but huge difference in paycheck).

I fully expect some to survive the initial cut down to 53, only for teams to pick up ones other teams cut, and then possibly being on the chopping block :(

Please keep us informed if you hear anything, especially if you live in an NFL city and get tons more news on em then the rest of us!

SoonerMom2
8/31/2011, 03:29 PM
ESPN NFL - Rams re-sign WR Mark Clayton (23 catches for 306 yards, 2 TD in 5 games last season)

cccasooner2
8/31/2011, 03:48 PM
ESPN NFL - Rams re-sign WR Mark Clayton (23 catches for 306 yards, 2 TD in 5 games last season)

Allright!! Hope he is/stays healthy.

hawaii 5-0
8/31/2011, 04:12 PM
That's the best news I've heard all day. (Except for finding out that 3.2 beer and 6.0 beer are the same.)

5-0

badger
8/31/2011, 06:06 PM
Yay, Mark! I wonder what took St Louis so damn long

jk the sooner fan
8/31/2011, 06:16 PM
Yay, Mark! I wonder what took St Louis so damn long

they were waiting for clayton to pass a physical

VA Sooner
8/31/2011, 06:29 PM
Good for Clayton.

Bad for Robinson. And I was hoping Mensik could catch a break after all he did for us and our patched-up o-line.

Lott's Bandana
8/31/2011, 08:29 PM
Rams.com

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – In the rough and tumble world of the NFL, a promise can mean very little. Except in the case of Mark Clayton and the Rams. On Wednesday afternoon, a promise – two of them, in fact – was kept. Clayton and the Rams struck a deal on a one-year contract to bring Clayton back to the Rams after an extended wait caused by a knee injury that had kept Clayton from the field for all of training camp.
“I’m just excited, glad to be back and know I will be there,” Clayton said. “I am anxious. I have been working and training to get right for this.”
Almost from the moment he arrived in St. Louis via trade with Baltimore on Sept. 6, 2010, Clayton felt a special connection to Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, the organization and the city as a whole.
That connection extended to quarterback Sam Bradfordhttp://www.stlouisrams.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/roster/sam-bradford/33a79047-0e0d-445e-b937-3ae24311053c/) as the former Sooners hooked up for 10 completions and 119 yards even though Clayton had been with the team for less than a week.
Clayton made an instant impact and had 23 catches for 306 yards and two touchdowns before suffering a devastating torn patellar tendon against Detroit in the fifth game of the season. He’d played little more than a quarter of the season and his first year as a Ram was over already.
Scheduled for unrestricted free agency, Clayton made it clear he wanted to return to the Rams. Likewise, the Rams made it clear that they wanted him back, assuming that he could get his knee back to full strength.
“We were keeping in touch,” Clayton said. “They said ‘We want you.’ They didn’t want to bring me in knowing they’d put me on Physically Unable to Perform but allow that position or roster spot for somebody that could practice and play in the preseason games. At that time, I wasn’t there yet.”
It didn’t help Clayton’s cause that the lockout prevented him from going to the Russell Training Center to work with the team’s doctors and athletic trainers.
So Clayton spent his summer working out on his own with a steady diet of running, agility drills and plyometrics in the morning followed by weight lifting in the afternoon and some football drills mixed in.
Clayton also missed the social part of the locker room dynamic.
“That’s been tough, more than anything,” Clayton said. “Being able to connect and develop relationships and friendships, you don’t have that. That’s been the hardest part of it.”
Still, it wasn’t enough to have Clayton ready for training camp and the Rams promised him they’d keep in touch and when they deemed him ready to come back to the team, they’d do what they could to re-sign him.
For his part, Clayton turned down some other opportunities and stayed true to his word.
When the Rams held true to theirs on Wednesday, it only provided validation of why Clayton wanted to stay a Ram in the first place.
“Yeah, that’s big time,” Clayton said. “That is big time to have someone say what they mean and come through on what they said and follow through on it. It speaks a lot about this organization and just the core of it and what it’s about. I really believe this is a championship organization and moving in that direction.”
Clayton says his knee is feeling much better than it has in a long time though he hasn’t had the chance to push it in a football setting yet.
For now, Clayton says his focus is on strengthening the smaller muscles around the knee so that he’ll be able to hold up to the rigors of football when the time comes.
“I am stronger than I have been,” Clayton said. “My speed is great. I think I’ll be faster than I was before. But now it’s working the little muscles in the background to get those right. That’s the big thing. That’s kind of what I have been focusing on.”
Clayton’s role with the Rams will be determined as the team gets a feel for how well he’s recovered and he gets a feel for the game again.
In addition to getting back up to speed physically, Clayton also has the job of getting caught up in an offensive scheme that has changed since he was last with the team. Clayton did not make the trip with the team to Jacksonville but should be back in the building when the team returns to work Friday.
All of that will work itself out in time but on Wednesday, Clayton was just happy to be a Ram again.
“That was what I wanted,” Clayton said. “I felt that even last year with them bringing me in and doing it with wide open arms and making sure I had whatever I needed to be comfortable. From then on, I said ‘Guys, I really don’t want to go anywhere else.’”

badger
9/2/2011, 11:08 AM
No news is good news, I guess. Looks like teams are going to wait up till the deadline to make decisions on final 53-man rosters.

Teams need to be down to 53 by Saturday. Most had their final preseason game last night, with Seattle and... Oakland???? Whoever they host playing late tonite.

Texas Golfer
9/2/2011, 12:00 PM
Let's all hope they stay healthy.

Lott's Bandana
9/2/2011, 12:50 PM
Thor...meet Mr. Pool.

Brodney Pool LIGHTS UP a dude, last night:

fhpGQxMzRRY

I've seen it spelled Poole and Pool. I defer to an autograph where he signed "Pool".

the-rover
9/2/2011, 01:35 PM
Ow!

SoonerAtKU
9/2/2011, 01:39 PM
Belated well wishes for 2008, Mr. Cooper. When you get to heaven, tell Tim Tebow we still hate him.

badger
9/2/2011, 02:01 PM
Cryptic Malcolm Kelly words...

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/malcolm-kelly-stuff-aint-what-it-seems/2011/08/31/gIQAsCzorJ_blog.html)

Makes me wonder if his NFL career is finished and he has an injury that simply won't heal and is too much to endure if you're fighting for a roster spot, like Jason White a few years back.

VA Sooner
9/2/2011, 02:08 PM
Damn, Brodney! Great hit. It was legal... led with the shoulder but WOW! The helmet came off, Riley's head bounced off the turf and his hand was still holding his helmet while the rest of the body was wondering, "What just happened?????"

hawaii 5-0
9/2/2011, 02:09 PM
Malcolm said alot without saying much.

5-0

MojoRisen
9/2/2011, 02:32 PM
Malcom needs to get a grip.. I am curious now what he is talking about... reminds me of when he compalined about changing venues for his pro day.., Talked a lot of smack... for running a 47 forty. To bad he was good

cccasooner2
9/2/2011, 02:34 PM
Cryptic Malcolm Kelly words......

More like encrypted.

badger
9/3/2011, 11:43 AM
I know it's gameday, but if you hear anything, please share what you hear. It's roster deadline day for being down to 53 today. Keep your fellow Sooners informed about their fellow Sooners!

badger
9/3/2011, 11:51 AM
Branndon Braxton cut by the Browns :(

The only bright spot to their cut list is that if it indeed their final cutdown, that means Auston English made the team. If that is the case, he has definitely earned it, recording multiple sacks in the preseason and spending a year in the UFL because he got cut by Cleveland last year after going undrafted.

badger
9/3/2011, 12:48 PM
Tommie Harris cut by Colts.

Link (http://indiana.sbnation.com/indianapolis-colts/2011/9/3/2402599/2011-nfl-roster-cuts-colts-release-defensive-tackle-tommie-harris)

oumartin
9/3/2011, 01:12 PM
Tommie could never get over the injuries completely it seemed. When he was healthy he was great

badger
9/3/2011, 01:21 PM
I haven't seen any more Sooner names pop up, but Denver cut ex-Poke Perrish Cox and the Lions cut the evil Boise State running back Ian whats his face.

badger
9/3/2011, 01:54 PM
A few Rammie cuts suggest that St Louis is going to keep CJ Ah You. Shout a few extra "Boomers" to send him and others good vibes as the 5 p.m. deadline approaches!

trwxxa
9/3/2011, 02:10 PM
Jeremy Beal cut by Denver.

bluedogok
9/3/2011, 02:16 PM
I haven't seen any more Sooner names pop up, but Denver cut ex-Poke Perrish Cox and the Lions cut the evil Boise State running back Ian whats his face.
Cox was a police blotter cut.

swardboy
9/3/2011, 02:32 PM
Jonathan Nelson cut by Rams.

trwxxa
9/3/2011, 03:15 PM
Mossis Madu cut by the Bucs
Brandon Jones cut by Baltimore
Iggy cut by the Vikings

badger
9/3/2011, 06:31 PM
"Free Mike" Balogun and Manny Johnson both cut by the Cowboys. :(

VA Sooner
9/3/2011, 09:00 PM
Damn. I thought Balogun had a good second and third pre-season game.

badger
9/4/2011, 10:14 AM
I'm gonna rundown the ones I tagged as longshots on vBookie here: (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?157779-Longshot-Sooners-to-make-NFL-roster)

Matt Clapp was cut by the Lions, as was Joe Jon Finley (who is not eligible for practice squads, as he's spent three years on the 49ers squad).

Iggy was cut by the Vikings.

Manny Johnson was cut by the Cowboys (but every indication out there says that the Cowboys will sign him to the practice squad if he clears waivers).

Brandon Jones was cut by the Ravens.

Malcolm Kelly, cut by the Redskins last week, does not appear to have found another team yet.

Cameron Kenney, released last week by the Chargers, also did not appear to find another team yet.

Mossis Madu was cut by the Bucs.

Eric Mensik, cut by the Cards last week, appears to still not be on a roster.

Jonathan Nelson was cut by the Rams.

I really, really hate for this to be a 0-fer event, and since that's the way it appears, I am going to revise the previous rules: If none of these players end up on a 53-man roster, and some make a practice squad with the team that cut them, I will give you full payout just as if they made the final 53-man roster. With injuries so common in the NFL these days, it would not surprise me in the least if practice squadders were full team members before long, anyway.

Players clear waivers at 11 a.m. today (not sure if that's central or eastern time), at which time they can be signed to a practice squad. I haven't seen any practice squad signings yet, but I am very certain that at least one of these guys will find a practice squad home, even if not with their original squad.

Keep your chin up, guys! Your hard work WILL pay off!

8timechamps
9/4/2011, 04:07 PM
As mentioned, Jeremy Beal was cut by the Broncos, but on the upside, Quinton Carter makes the team (and should see plenty of field time, both on special teams and in nickle/dime packages).

Hope the Broncos pick Beal up for the PS, I'll keep an eye on the paper and report if he in-fact makes the PS.

kevpks
9/4/2011, 04:15 PM
Rams-Signed DB Tim Atchison, DB Jonathan Nelson, DT John Henderson, OL Kevin Hughes, OL Ryan McKee and RB Chase Reynolds to the practice squad.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/transactions

Way to go Jonathan!

8timechamps
9/4/2011, 07:33 PM
Via local radio, Jeremy Beal one of eight players signed to the Broncos practice roster. So, JB and Q both get to stay in Denver.

badger
9/4/2011, 08:52 PM
Rams-Signed DB Tim Atchison, DB Jonathan Nelson, DT John Henderson, OL Kevin Hughes, OL Ryan McKee and RB Chase Reynolds to the practice squad.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/transactions

Way to go Jonathan!

Soooo.. I'll just settle on Jonny and practice squad and call it even.

I'd wait it out longer, but the Browns cut Auston English. Today. Like, a day after the 53-man rosters were due. I can't imagine how tough that must have been, to think you made the final roster because you weren't cut yesterday, only to be cut today.

So, before anything else happens, gonna just settle that event now.

SunnySooner
9/4/2011, 09:20 PM
Cool for J Nel, got to see him play here in Jax on Thursday on ST. He's a good kid, all the best to him, and the others as well, it's a rough sport, hope they make a little bank, save it up, and go off to the real world with a nest egg someday.

badger
9/4/2011, 09:41 PM
I had no idea Demarco had a deal with adidas till I saw his twitter. lol at this:

“My game is all about speed and versatility,” said the All-Big 12 selection Murray. “Whether I am running in between the tackles or catching a pass out of the backfield, the adiZero 5-Star is the perfect cleat for my style of play because it is super light but also gives me great traction and support.”

must... resist... sudden... urge... to... buy... adiZero... what even does that mean?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/4/2011, 09:56 PM
Man the lockout hammered rookies the most it looks like

delhalew
9/5/2011, 05:30 PM
Man the lockout hammered rookies the most it loloks like
We thought it would, right? It's a damn shame.

badger
9/5/2011, 05:43 PM
The Browns signed Auston to their practice squad. I'm sure it's a letdown, given that he was nearly on the main roster, but I bet he's shoo-in should they need another guy at his position after his monster preseason efforts.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2011, 05:47 PM
i dont think Manny Johnson is going to make the Dallas practice squad this year

VA Sooner
9/5/2011, 06:13 PM
Tough climate out there. But hang in there... constant flux of players as the season wears on... you may still get your chance to shine... make the most of it.