PDA

View Full Version : Guess which airline made our travel (and others') miserable

badger
8/30/2011, 11:30 AM
Hint #1: Upon arriving at the early flight announced gate, they sent no text alerts, made any announcements, or even called our names out as they were boarding at another gate for our flight out.

Hint #2: Upon realizing that we were at the wrong gate, the unhelpful airline guy said that within 10 minutes of a flight's scheduled departure, they were not allowed to board anyone.

Hint #3: The plane we were supposed to board proceeds to stay on the runway at the gate for an hour due to a weather delay as we sit inside the airport, waiting for a later flight.

Hint #4: They let the stalled plane passengers finally get off after an hour of waiting on the plane going nowhere. Misery all around ensues.

Hint #5: The landing was wobbly because the plane was so tiny... as were the seats. It was literally like Kumar demonstrates in this scene:

49qpZLJHN90

Wobble, wobble, wobble, BAM! Loud noise upon landing impact! Sooo... sick...

Hint #6: They lost our luggage through some other flight trickeration, as did many others. Howevere, NP nicely played good cop with the luggage lady, because the other customers were waaaay more grouchy about their own lost luggage. Luggage lady appreciated NP. I do too.

Hint #7: On the return trip home, they camped on the runway for a half hour... meaning we had 10 minutes to go from D-something to B10.

Hint #8: We had to mad-dash from D-something to B10 to make the flight. After all, a previous plane from this stupid airline already left us in an airport once this vacation.

Hint #9: After the mad dash? Another runway delay! We are sitting there, packed like sardines in these small seats, unable to use portable electronics. Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh

Hint #10: Upon landing back in Tulsa, they kept us on the runway for a half hour, because the plane at our gate was also delayed a half hour.

Soooo... which airline did it? I will reveal the answer when someone guesses correctly.

Mississippi Sooner
8/30/2011, 11:38 AM
I dunno, but I once had a very similar experience on Delta.

mgsooner
8/30/2011, 11:43 AM
american
delta
southwest
united
continental
us airways
frontier
jet blue

Am I right? What do I win?

rekamrettuB
8/30/2011, 11:44 AM
TransAmerican?

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/570/airplane720phdtvx264ill.jpg

http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/airplane-movie-joey.jpg

achiro
8/30/2011, 11:44 AM
What it really boils down to is that I kind of really don't care.

Probably because I'm jealous of anyone getting to travel ;)

badger
8/30/2011, 11:55 AM
I dunno, but I once had a very similar experience on Delta.

Holy cow, right on the first guess!

We did indeed go through Delta, because it was cheaper than Southwest for once, so we're like what the heck, give em a try.

I highly encourage all of you to avoid Delta if at all possible for all of the reasons given above. Their flights were delayed like no others that I've seen recently (even international travel wasn't this bad), their planes were cramped (their first class seating is like Southwest seating, their coach class is like half the legroom, 2/3 the seat room), and all of the delays likely led to the lost luggage and customer misery and mad dashing we participated in firsthand and witnessed around us.

On the second-to-last flight, they asked anyone without a close connection to remain seated. Nearly everyone got up, because like I mentioned, they had delayed us a half hour in takeoff already, so everyone was running late... and some of us ended up running.

So miserable. I should fill out a complaint form at delta.com like they suggested all us fliers do after the flight (although they didn't say "complaint forum" hehe)

Peach Fuzz
8/30/2011, 12:07 PM
Same thing with Delta to hawaii... nothing like waiting for 5 hours for luggage in paradise.

Mississippi Sooner
8/30/2011, 12:13 PM
Delta has just gotten too damn big and it has ruined their service. I've flown them more than any other airline, but only fly them when I have to, now. Not even being a Medallion member and having Crown Plaza privileges is worth it anymore. In fact, lately I've been cashing in my Sky Miles on merchandise.

NormanPride
8/30/2011, 12:26 PM
I still prefer them to anything other than Southwest.

GrapevineSooner
8/30/2011, 12:40 PM
Braniff treated me the same way when I flew them several years ago.

It was them, right?

Mississippi Sooner
8/30/2011, 12:42 PM
I still prefer them to anything other than Southwest.

I guess I can say that, too, since Southwest is about the only one I fly now. Say what you will, but I've had more luck being on time and having my luggage arriving with me on Southwest than any other airline, in the past 8 or 10 years anyway.

Williesan
8/30/2011, 12:51 PM
Hint #1: Upon arriving at the early flight announced gate, they sent no text alerts, made any announcements, or even called our names out as they were boarding at another gate for our flight out.

Hint #2: Upon realizing that we were at the wrong gate, the unhelpful airline guy said that within 10 minutes of a flight's scheduled departure, they were not allowed to board anyone.

Hint #3: The plane we were supposed to board proceeds to stay on the runway at the gate for an hour due to a weather delay as we sit inside the airport, waiting for a later flight.

Hint #4: They let the stalled plane passengers finally get off after an hour of waiting on the plane going nowhere. Misery all around ensues.

Hint #5: The landing was wobbly because the plane was so tiny... as were the seats. It was literally like Kumar demonstrates in this scene:

49qpZLJHN90

Wobble, wobble, wobble, BAM! Loud noise upon landing impact! Sooo... sick...

Hint #6: They lost our luggage through some other flight trickeration, as did many others. Howevere, NP nicely played good cop with the luggage lady, because the other customers were waaaay more grouchy about their own lost luggage. Luggage lady appreciated NP. I do too.

Hint #7: On the return trip home, they camped on the runway for a half hour... meaning we had 10 minutes to go from D-something to B10.

Hint #8: We had to mad-dash from D-something to B10 to make the flight. After all, a previous plane from this stupid airline already left us in an airport once this vacation.

Hint #9: After the mad dash? Another runway delay! We are sitting there, packed like sardines in these small seats, unable to use portable electronics. Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh

Hint #10: Upon landing back in Tulsa, they kept us on the runway for a half hour, because the plane at our gate was also delayed a half hour.

Soooo... which airline did it? I will reveal the answer when someone guesses correctly.

Since it's been revealed that it's Delta, I feel for you guys.

Of all of the major carriers that fly out of Tulsa (AA, Delta, United, Continental & Southwest), only American and Southwest have given me zero problems over the last few years. I didn't have any problems with Delta (a trip with multiple weather-generated delays in 2003 does not count) until after their merger with Northwest.

I absolutely refused to fly NW after one of their gate attendants here in Tulsa told me I could make a flight at gate C-29 from from A-7 in Memphis... in less than 5 minutes. On another NW trip through Memphis, a fight attendant went off on a customer who had to gall to have his cel phone out and operating... while we were at the gate, door open and engines off. She even called TSA and airport police... who laughed at her, then referred her to the NW head gate & crew managers who read her the riot act (clearly audible from three gates away.)

The bad part about Delta today is that they have their "Southern Time" attitude ("it will get done, when it gets done, and you can't do a thing about it y'all.") merged with Northwest's "we don't care about our customer's - just their money" attitude and it has brought them down considerably since 2008.

The best thing to do: have a travel agent you trust on speed dial. They know the backdoor tricks to getting you to and from where you need to go without holding you hostage like the carriers do.

Williesan

JohnnyMack
8/30/2011, 12:54 PM
only American....zero problems

http://blog.pawshpal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/laughing_dog.jpg

badger
8/30/2011, 12:56 PM
My first flights when I was young were on Northwest, both because they were regional up in Wisky, but also because I think they were cheapest.

I remembered not liking the smaller planes, but holy cow, I didn't remember the smaller planes being this bad... probably because a little blond chick like me didn't need much leg room or wouldn't care if the guy next to her was toppling into her seat with the guy in front bringing his seat into the lowest reclining position possible... yes, that happened also. When the guy had to get up to let someone else in, I discretely pushed the seat into its upright position, hehe... and he proceeded to sit down and the crappy seat clicked back into the reclining one... possibly just from his weight.

Hint #11: The seats are not only small, but they are also sh!tty.

Mississippi Sooner
8/30/2011, 01:03 PM
Speaking of mergers, I've recently had a less than pleasant experience with the new hybrid known as United/Continental. I'll withhold final judgement for the moment, but they didn't make a great first impression.

lexsooner
8/30/2011, 01:10 PM

My first guess was Delta too. I fly them quite a bit out of Lexington, KY, through Atlanta or Cincy. They are not the worst airline, but they are far from the best and their service leaves a lot to be desired. You mentioned how small the plane was, so I wonder if it was a Delta commuter airline and not Delta itself? Delta uses a number of independent commuter airlines such as Atlantic Southeast (called Delta Connection) and others, and they fly those Canadian Regional jets which seat 50-60. The biggest mess ups and problems occur on those commuter flights.

8timechamps
8/30/2011, 02:06 PM
This just reminds me how much it would SUCK to work at the airport.

Chuck Bao
8/30/2011, 03:56 PM
I'm just glad that I wouldn't have to sit next you, Mrs. Whiney Woman.

badger
8/30/2011, 03:57 PM
:P yeah, I know, but I bet you all have your own horror stories about certain airlines.

virginiasooner
8/30/2011, 04:19 PM
Could have sworn you were talking about United. I detest United. They've lied to me one too many times. I did manage to squeeze $200 out of them for losing luggage at Christmas a couple of years ago, because we had to go to Penn Square Mall (on Christmas Eve, mind you), to buy clothes because of our lost bags. But I've told my mother, that if the only way I can get to her funeral is United, then I can't make it.

And I don't understand all this raging hate on Delta. I've been a frequent flyer with them for over 20 years -- I just got back from Europe (thank you FF miles!) and I've got more complaints about the security screening at Schipol (Amsterdam) than with Delta (not to mention that jerk who was sitting behind me who put those little blocker thingamajigs in the seat so I couldn't recline). I've also gotten the companion fly free ticket (thank you AMEX!). Air travel is sucky all around. And while I can get a nonstop flight from OKC to BWI, there are times it is cheaper to fly Delta out of National or Dulles than schlep all the way out to BWI (figuring in limo ride).

badger
8/30/2011, 04:43 PM
I think one thing that would have really fixed Delta travel woes with my newfound traveling companions was the lack of communication. They were seeking volunteers back in Seattle before we departed (late) for Salt Lake City, offering $400 travel vouchers, hotel and meal vouchers, you name it, to give up your seat and fly the next day. Several people around me were lamenting that if they knew they'd miss their Salt Lake City flight, they would have accepted the delayed travel offer back in Seattle.

If us runners knew that the flight would be held at B10 for us late arrivers in Salt Lake City, there's no way in hell several of us would have mad-dashed like they did to B10. Once we got there? Waited another 15 mins for people that didn't run to make it to the gate. I certainly didn't mind the exercise, but it seemed to be really irk some others... not to mention those that were on time had to wait for the rest of us, the runners and the walkers.

And of course there was the no-announcement on the early morning flight that caused us to stare out the window at the plane we were disallowed from boarding. Seriously, if you're gonna switch a gate, tell us when we get our tickets. Print the correct gate on the ticket! Page for us missing passengers! Send a text/email alert! ANYTHING!

Finally, if your tired passengers are catching their breath after running to your gate, if you're gonna make a running joke as we stand there sweating and miserable, you better follow up your unwelcomed joke with free travel voucher, free on-flight alcohol, something. Glare.

Chuck Bao
8/30/2011, 05:57 PM
Oh good grief, I just noticed that the door to door time is 27 hours for tomorrow. Actually that is pretty good time. I'm still gonna be one tired puppy.

C&CDean
8/30/2011, 06:05 PM
I chuckle at you twice-a-year fliers who bitch about "Airline A, B, or C."

Try spending almost 30 years flying an average of 35-40 weeks a year. Then, and only then are you qualified to critique the airline industry. I just happen to be one of those folks, and here's my take:

Southworst: Never. Sorry, but I like my seat in 1st class, and if not, I like to know exactly where my seat on the exit row is. Wait. You have to log in and fight for a seat? **** you you cattle car POS airline. No red tape this bitches.

United we fail: Second worst airline ever. The friendly skies? Bite me. Your agents in Chicago alone are the most un-educated in the industry trolls I've ever seen.

Delturd: Luggage? Heh. You don't need no stinkin' luggage. Besides, their planes always smell like urine and humidity. Probably all those stops in Atlanta and Cincinnati I'm thinking.

Northworst: If you fly these chumps regularly may I highly suggest you shoot yourself in the face this second? Memphis? Minneapolis? Detroit? With hubs like that, how can you expect anything to go right.

Ameriscam: Yes, I own platinum handcuffs. Worn them for years. Actually, Executive Platinum handcuffs. However, all that said, I have had better luck, been on time more, have had less hassle, etc. with American than any other carrier - and I have managed to reach elite status on several over the years. It may be because they hub through Dallas/Chicago, and I typically travelled to the coasts so that was convenient, I don't know, but there is some comfort knowing what seat, what flight, the layout of the airports, etc. you're going through.

Foreign airllines: Never flown them. All my years of travel are domestic (other than Pan Am in the 60's, and TWA in the 70's). Everything I've heard - especially on the Asian airlines sounds like heaven compared to the bus in the sky the domestics have become.

Anyhow, quit whining about a single flight. I've spent more nights than I could count sleeping on the floor in Dallas, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, LAX, and Houston. Be happy you landed on the tires and crap.

Chuck Bao
8/30/2011, 06:06 PM
I still want to make it to the Baylor - TCU game in Waco on Friday night. Anyone want to join me? I am driving from near Ardmore.

C&CDean
8/30/2011, 06:08 PM
Are you gonna make the OU game on Saturday?

Chuck Bao
8/30/2011, 06:16 PM
I chuckle at you twice-a-year fliers who bitch about "Airline A, B, or C."

Try spending almost 30 years flying an average of 35-40 weeks a year. Then, and only then are you qualified to critique the airline industry. I just happen to be one of those folks, and here's my take:

Southworst: Never. Sorry, but I like my seat in 1st class, and if not, I like to know exactly where my seat on the exit row is. Wait. You have to log in and fight for a seat? **** you you cattle car POS airline. No red tape this bitches.

United we fail: Second worst airline ever. The friendly skies? Bite me. Your agents in Chicago alone are the most un-educated in the industry trolls I've ever seen.

Delturd: Luggage? Heh. You don't need no stinkin' luggage. Besides, their planes always smell like urine and humidity. Probably all those stops in Atlanta and Cincinnati I'm thinking.

Northworst: If you fly these chumps regularly may I highly suggest you shoot yourself in the face this second? Memphis? Minneapolis? Detroit? With hubs like that, how can you expect anything to go right.

Ameriscam: Yes, I own platinum handcuffs. Worn them for years. Actually, Executive Platinum handcuffs. However, all that said, I have had better luck, been on time more, have had less hassle, etc. with American than any other carrier - and I have managed to reach elite status on several over the years. It may be because they hub through Dallas/Chicago, and I typically travelled to the coasts so that was convenient, I don't know, but there is some comfort knowing what seat, what flight, the layout of the airports, etc. you're going through.

Foreign airllines: Never flown them. All my years of travel are domestic (other than Pan Am in the 60's, and TWA in the 70's). Everything I've heard - especially on the Asian airlines sounds like heaven compared to the bus in the sky the domestics have become.

Anyhow, quit whining about a single flight. I've spent more nights than I could count sleeping on the floor in Dallas, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, LAX, and Houston. Be happy you landed on the tires and crap.

You are so lucky not to experience some of the Asian carriers, especially Singapore Airlines. You would be so spoiled rotten and you would think that you have a right to bitch about poor service. And, the efficiency of Changi Airport in Singapore is just a marvel. The rest of the world needs to make a trip to Singapore to see how it is all done right.

C&CDean
8/30/2011, 06:18 PM
You are so lucky not to experience some of the Asian carriers, especially Singapore Airlines. You would be so spoiled rotten and you would think that you have a right to bitch about poor service. And, the efficiency of Changi Airport in Singapore is just a marvel. The rest of the world needs to make a trip to Singapore to see how it is all done right.

Some day my brother, some day.

49r
8/30/2011, 06:48 PM

I've heard that about Singapore Air. Plus they have this:

http://www.luxuo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/a380-suite-singapore-airlines.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/16/SingaporeA380Suites_wideweb__470x270,2.jpg

C&CDean
8/30/2011, 06:58 PM
That's not even fair.

Chuck Bao
8/30/2011, 07:10 PM
Are you gonna make the OU game on Saturday?

I guarantee it. I am still gonna try to make the Baylor - TCU game on Friday and make it up to Norman for the OU - Tulsa game on Saturday. Both are night games, aren't they? Wear John Deere green on Friday and root for Baylor for me, can ya?

Chuck Bao
8/30/2011, 07:23 PM
That's not even fair.

Yes, it is fair. I used to travel to Singapore at least once a month. Have I ever had to queue up for passport control or customs at the Singapore airport, NEVER. Have I ever had to queue up at the slotted taxis waiting at the airport which are just a few steps away from the luggage carousel? NEVER.

I will never fly first class Singapore Air. But whatever class it is just so crazy better than the US carriers that it is like what? Where in the hell is my Apéritifs and digestifs? What are you not civilized yet or not?

C&CDean
8/30/2011, 07:34 PM
I am so going to Singapore just for that experience. See you Saturday my friend.

Jdog
8/30/2011, 07:35 PM
I thinking if you went from Terminal D to B --- probably thinking in DFW = American Airlines
Small Planes ===== American Airlines
big Customer service problems (probably due to an ageing fleet of planes) = American Airlines

I'm Guessing AA = American Airlines.

C&CDean
8/30/2011, 07:38 PM
You're like a week late and a couple 20's short.

Wishboned
8/30/2011, 08:10 PM
Delta... Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport

The worst experience I ever had with an Airline was Can't-inental. My ex mother law had been to visit, and was flying out (her broom was in the shop). This was back in the early 90's. She didn't check in an hour and a half prior to her flight so they gave up her seat. That meant I had to spend 5 extra hours with her. Worst. Experience. Ever.

oudivesherpa
8/30/2011, 08:18 PM
Before, I retired a few years ago, I'd fly over 100,000 a year. Domestically, Continetnal was slightlly better than the pact, but didn't hold a candle to the International carriers and Singapore Airlines was by far the best (both in Business and Coach). The worst were the regional carriers ASA (delta) Com Air, etc. United was the worst full line domestic carrier. It will be interesting to see how far the level of service on Continental declines after their merger. SouthWest is a very reliable carrier, but since they don't charge for bags or change fees, they are no longer the cheapest.

Badger, my recommendation, if possible, fly early in the day, carry on, and use only direct flights. Also, avoid NYC (all airports)!

soonercruiser
8/30/2011, 08:57 PM
I guess I can say that, too, since Southwest is about the only one I fly now. Say what you will, but I've had more luck being on time and having my luggage arriving with me on Southwest than any other airline, in the past 8 or 10 years anyway.

This ^^^^

lexsooner
8/31/2011, 08:23 AM
Before, I retired a few years ago, I'd fly over 100,000 a year. Domestically, Continetnal was slightlly better than the pact, but didn't hold a candle to the International carriers and Singapore Airlines was by far the best (both in Business and Coach). The worst were the regional carriers ASA (delta) Com Air, etc. United was the worst full line domestic carrier. It will be interesting to see how far the level of service on Continental declines after their merger. SouthWest is a very reliable carrier, but since they don't charge for bags or change fees, they are no longer the cheapest.

Badger, my recommendation, if possible, fly early in the day, carry on, and use only direct flights. Also, avoid NYC (all airports)!

I flew Delta to and from Boston-Logan last week and I quickly learned that the checked baggage fees have implications on the amount of overhead bin space in the cabin. Namely, there was no overhead bin space after about 2/3 the passengers boarded, so this really mean Delta gate agent set up shop outside the doorway of the 757 and tagged and checked the rolling carts of all of us poor passengers who had not yet boarded. I didn't care because my cart contained dirty clothes from my vacation, but at least one other passenger had planned to give someone his bag at the connecting airport, Atlanta, but the agent said they had to check all bags to the final destinations, so he was SOL. We left late due to this overhead bin situation and during the flight this heavy set woman had explosive diarrhea and messed up one of the restrooms, of course the one I went into. I did care more that the overhead bin mess resulted in the flight leaving late, so when we got to Atlanta half an hour late, we sat and it took literally 20 minutes to deplane the full 757. I made my connection by about 15 minutes without any time to eat. Then the Delta flight to Lexington spent one hour sitting or taxiing before it took off. The captain seemed baffled and said it was a problem with the ground control or maybe a problem with a runway. Oh well, at least I had a great time in Maine.

badger
8/31/2011, 08:44 AM
We personally really didn't have an issue with overhead bins, but I've heard its a growing problem with these guys that charge for checked bags. It was $25 each for Delta and we had two, so not an arm and a leg, just an arm :(

People were literally rolling tons of luggage into the plane and trying to find spots for everything left and right.

We sometimes see with this Southwest, but not as often because there's no bag fees.

The solution likely would be to charge for carry-on items larger than a small hand bag... like, take the current box and half it. That's a carry-on, not your big roller derby luggage. If checked items were the free ones instead, more would do it.

Chuck Bao
8/31/2011, 08:55 AM
I flew Delta to and from Boston-Logan last week and I quickly learned that the checked baggage fees have implications on the amount of overhead bin space in the cabin. Namely, there was no overhead bin space after about 2/3 the passengers boarded, so this really mean Delta gate agent set up shop outside the doorway of the 757 and tagged and checked the rolling carts of all of us poor passengers who had not yet boarded. I didn't care because my cart contained dirty clothes from my vacation, but at least one other passenger had planned to give someone his bag at the connecting airport, Atlanta, but the agent said they had to check all bags to the final destinations, so he was SOL. We left late due to this overhead bin situation and during the flight this heavy set woman had explosive diarrhea and messed up one of the restrooms, of course the one I went into. I did care more that the overhead bin mess resulted in the flight leaving late, so when we got to Atlanta half an hour late, we sat and it took literally 20 minutes to deplane the full 757. I made my connection by about 15 minutes without any time to eat. Then the Delta flight to Lexington spent one hour sitting or taxiing before it took off. The captain seemed baffled and said it was a problem with the ground control or maybe a problem with a runway. Oh well, at least I had a great time in Maine.

Lexsooner, I really really hate on anyone who tries to make a go with carry-on luggage only. What they are telling the other passengers is that their time is more valuable than our time. I mean seriously, if you need wheels to get your **** on board the damn plane then it should have been checked in.

My only carry on is a back pack which can be put under the seat. I have a roll of toilet paper in case I get the sneezes. I have my medicine that I have to have that unless I want a heart attack. I have hard candy if I need the sugar. I used to carry peanuts but I notice that that is banned now because so many people are allergenic to peanuts. I used to also carry a fifth of whiskey but I guess the US carriers frown on that too. Oh, I carry a extra set of underwear. Yeah, and a good book to read and a crossword puzzle book and that's it. That's all I need.

What the hell do you put on your carry-on? Shopping at the airport and duty free stuff and gifts to the kids, I do understand. Everything else, what the hell are you thinking?

tcrb
8/31/2011, 09:02 AM
I worked in the airline industry for over 25 years. During that time I logged millions of miles on every domestic carrier in the US and a good number of foreign carriers. There's not one airline that I have not had at least one negative experience similar to the one Badger described. There are so many variables that are completely beyond the control of the airlines. Weather delays, air traffic stops, petty maintenance concerns, crew delays and shortages, airport construction, vendor issues, and TSA delays are just a few. All of the mergers over the past couple of decades have created issues too. They've ended up with fleets of aircraft that are from multiple manufacturers, computer systems that dont communicate with one another and work force cultures that clash. Not to mention all the changes in security screening. All that while the price of fuel and deicing fluid has more than quadrupled and still, the flying public wants to travel across the county for a hundred and fifty dollars while being fluffed and pampered the entire way.
The reality is, airline travel has changed since the 60's and 70's when it was a glamorous industry. Now we are basically livestock that are being herded from point a to point b. If you wish to re-live the good old days, you need to buy a first class fare on Thai, JAL, KLM, or Lufthansa. I've heard Emirates is pretty nice too, but I haven't flown them personally. But if you want a hassle free flight experience while having your bottom kissed these days, it's gonna cost you. And even then, there's no guarantees.

Chuck Bao
8/31/2011, 09:15 AM
I worked in the airline industry for over 25 years. During that time I logged millions of miles on every domestic carrier in the US and a good number of foreign carriers. There's not one airline that I have not had at least one negative experience similar to the one Badger described. There are so many variables that are completely beyond the control of the airlines. Weather delays, air traffic stops, petty maintenance concerns, crew delays and shortages, airport construction, vendor issues, and TSA delays are just a few. All of the mergers over the past couple of decades have created issues too. They've ended up with fleets of aircraft that are from multiple manufacturers, computer systems that dont communicate with one another and work force cultures that clash. Not to mention all the changes in security screening. All that while the price of fuel and deicing fluid has more than quadrupled and still, the flying public wants to travel across the county for a hundred and fifty dollars while being fluffed and pampered the entire way.
The reality is, airline travel has changed since the 60's and 70's when it was a glamorous industry. Now we are basically livestock that are being herded from point a to point b. If you wish to re-live the good old days, you need to buy a first class fare on Thai, JAL, KLM, or Lufthansa. I've heard Emirates is pretty nice too, but I haven't flown them personally. But if you want a hassle free flight experience while having your bottom kissed these days, it's gonna cost you. And even then, there's no guarantees.

I have flown with THAI, JAL, KLM, Lufthansa and Emirates. Singapore Air still beats all of them. Oh, I would put Cathay Pacific above all of those except for the Emirates. The Emirates have taken business class to warfare of the bottom kissing. It's obscene. You get to sit on one of the flight attendants.

olevetonahill
8/31/2011, 09:22 AM
Back to baggage , The few times Ive traveled in the last few years , I carry every thing I need in a back pack.. I figure if where Im going dont have a laundry then Ima be ruffing it anyway.
Men Travel light . Women ****ing MOVE

SoonerAtKU
8/31/2011, 09:23 AM
Those airlines are all hiring insanely attractive flight attendants nowadays. I was staying at a very nice place in Delhi earlier this year and this crew of maybe a dozen 6-foot models all in their bright red uniforms walked in with their roller cases.

Stunned.

Also, we have an office in Singapore and one of my team works from there. I can't wait until we have a summit meeting or an on-site based out of there. That's a good place to have a company credit card and a boss who understands the importance of "team building".

sooner59
8/31/2011, 10:26 AM
Luckily, I don't think I have ever really had a problem flying. Once had a nervous ride on AA Eagle. Had a hot ride on Southwest because the air was malfunctioning or something. Only flew Delta once, no problem. Also flown AirTran several times with no problems. Though I will say that I despise the Atlanta airport. The Tampa airport isn't bad, though.

Doged
8/31/2011, 10:32 AM
Best to just give up on all airlines, is my opinion. I fly charter only, any more, but only fly at all once every couple years or so. I haven't done any international travel in years, though, and when I did it was all space-a flights, the most memorable being the back of a C-130 from Hawaii to Australia through a big-arsed storm somewhere mid-Pacific.

pphilfran
8/31/2011, 10:36 AM
When I fly I go in with very low expectations...then when I miss flights and lose baggage my expectation are actually exceeded...

badger
8/31/2011, 10:45 AM
All that while the price of fuel and deicing fluid has more than quadrupled and still, the flying public wants to travel across the county for a hundred and fifty dollars while being fluffed and pampered the entire way.

I totally understand. Alas, $150 is a lot of money for a lot of people and two, three times that is a large chunk of change to be treated like cattle, even if the airlines aren't making much per passenger.

Kind of reminds me of the summer college job at Lowe's. These customers are paying hundreds, if not thousands for building, landscaping, plumbing, etc. materials. And yes, they expect to be treated like they're spending hundreds/thousands. But, here I am, making $7 an hour. I don't see the hundreds/thousands they're spending. That's probably what the airline workers are thinking when they deal with customer complaints. Yeah, you spent thousands. I saw $12 an hour of that. Thanks. Move along...

C&CDean
8/31/2011, 02:47 PM
All of the domestic carriers should just quit ****ing around and advertise what they are. They're Greyhound/Continental bus lines that happen to operate in the sky instead of down the highway. Nothing more.

Drop the typhoid-laced blankies and pillows they pass out (I don't even wanna touch those things with my shoes), drop the drinks and the carb-loaded snacks, and tell those fat-asses y'all call "flight attendants" to STFU and sit down. We'll call you if there's an emergency or if somebody pukes all over his neighbor's laptop. Also, if you have to turn sideways to be able to walk down the aisle of a plane, you shouldn't be a stewardess. Another thing. If a single seat belt doesn't fit you, you ain't flying. No more belt extensions for those that choose to be morbidly obese.

I think that about covers it.

Mississippi Sooner
8/31/2011, 02:56 PM
All of the domestic carriers should just quit ****ing around and advertise what they are. They're Greyhound/Continental bus lines that happen to operate in the sky instead of down the highway. Nothing more.

Drop the typhoid-laced blankies and pillows they pass out (I don't even wanna touch those things with my shoes), drop the drinks and the carb-loaded snacks, and tell those fat-asses y'all call "flight attendants" to STFU and sit down. We'll call you if there's an emergency or if somebody pukes all over his neighbor's laptop. Also, if you have to turn sideways to be able to walk down the aisle of a plane, you shouldn't be a stewardess. Another thing. If a single seat belt doesn't fit you, you ain't flying. No more belt extensions for those that choose to be morbidly obese.

Two thumbs up. Way up!

Tulsa_Fireman
8/31/2011, 03:14 PM
My recent American experiences were filled with hot M.I.L.F. stewardesses. Essess.

Between price, availability, and service, AA hands down.

SoonerAtKU
8/31/2011, 03:21 PM
I guess I'm still just not jaded enough to hate flying. It still feels like a cool, special thing to me. Especially internationally. Just the idea that I can pay some money, get on a big metal tube, and end up somewhere thousands of miles away where they don't speak the same language or eat the same food.

It's fascinating to me and I feel lucky to be able to do it, even if it's for work stuff. I'm sure if I traveled as much as some of you, it'd wear out quickly, but at this point, I don't mind some delays. I've been stuck in Atlanta, Dallas, Chennai, Chicago, and a few more I can't remember. The only bad one was Chennai since we were in the local terminal which has no air conditioning or bathroom sanitation. Hot 'n' stinky is no way to spend an afternoon in India.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2011, 04:42 PM
Speaking of mergers, I've recently had a less than pleasant experience with the new hybrid known as United/Continental. I'll withhold final judgement for the moment, but they didn't make a great first impression.

Continental is my airline. 181,000 Elite miles so far and at least 35-40K more coming up next month.

I have not like the Unitedization of Continental. More care for $$$ than the Continental care of customers...

We'll see, the PAX that generate revenue (like me - Uhmm $45,000 spent so far this year) will likely fair well, but the Silvers and 2P's and less, don't think they will fair well.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2011, 04:44 PM
If a single seat belt doesn't fit you, you ain't flying. No more belt extensions for those that choose to be morbidly obese.

I would have a serious problem with you on that one. Though my arse is mostly in First or BF...

OU Engineer
9/1/2011, 10:18 AM
I'm at work right now, or else I would isnert the youtube video of Louis C.K.'s thoughts on flying.

(People spend too much time complaining about flying and not going, HOLY $H!T! WERE FLYING!!!)

That being said, I have also traveled a lot for business. American is my choice, but it's sort of choosing the lesser of all the evils.

I did fly KLM to Europe once. Pretty much ruined flying everywhere else for me the service was so great. Beautiful blond, blue eyed Dutch flight attendants, free booze, pillows and blankets and a copy of every major published newspaper from around the world when you got on the plane.

The flight to Europe is almost as good as the trip itself, as long as you go with an international carrier.