PDA

View Full Version : Will OU blow out FSU?

TJKDone
8/30/2011, 11:15 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, that should be what people are pondering. I've seen a number of threads/opinions talking about whether or not OU will win. They lost a QB in the first round of the draft, you guys *** whipped them last year...what gives?

Hook'em

bixby28
8/30/2011, 11:23 AM
FSU is going to have a nice defense put together and Manuel can beat teams with his legs. It's going to test OU but I won't rule out a curb-stomping just yet.

cvsooner
8/30/2011, 11:24 AM
It's an away game, which with us of late is a cause for worry. They do return a fair number of starters, and they were greatly improved by the end of the season. Good recruiting class, plus another year in the system. I think we can win handily if we play smart, but we'll have our hands full.

cleller
8/30/2011, 11:27 AM
Playing down there the second game of the season is a bigger hurdle than bringing them up here while they were still adjusting to some new coaches. We got them rattled early last year, and it was blood in the water. I just don't think we'll put a whuppin' on them at their place.
My guess is if we do well in the red zone and kicking game, we'll be fine. If not, it will be a close one.

EatLeadCommie
8/30/2011, 11:33 AM
it'll be a good test of our, and more specifically Landry's, mettle early on and will indicate whether we're legit or on our way to another 2-3 loss season.

achiro
8/30/2011, 11:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's their 3rd game, OUr 2nd? If OU has 2 weeks to prep and another week to see what FSU has.

XingTheRubicon
8/30/2011, 11:40 AM
Can someone list the blowouts OU has handed to top 5 teams on the road.

OU Engineer
8/30/2011, 11:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's their 3rd game, OUr 2nd? If OU has 2 weeks to prep and another week to see what FSU has.

This is true. A lot of people have been focusing on us not having another tune up game, but I think the rest and preparation and ability to scout them one more week will be better for us than not playing a cupcake...

BoulderSooner79
8/30/2011, 11:43 AM
TJKDone, I would think after last season, horn fans especially would know you can't assume what kind of team you have until you see it on the field. We fielded a team that didn't deserve a number by it's name in the opener against USU last season. I can't wait to see what we have against Tulsa, then you'll see more FSU discussions.

OUster
8/30/2011, 11:53 AM
I think FSU has talent and are worthy of respect, but I don't see it being a nail-biter game unless our boys allow it to be. We have an off week to prepare for this game. Their home field is a non-issue, meaning, it's not as if FSU has any kind of winning mojo in their house. I would think it is a very cool place to play with some of the hottest ladies in the land, but not exactly intimidating.

Really, they have great d-backs. I think our WR corp, as a unit, seriously outmatches them, though. Who wouldn't take our receiving corp over anyone in the nation? It's not just Broyles, or Stills, the two deep are talented and that is not even taking into consideration Hanna. Their will be too much for them to cover. Even though our run game will not be sorted out by the time this game rolls around, there is still too much shiftiness for their LB's to keep up with. Speed always wins over strength. I am not saying FSU has no speed, I am saying they will have to be cover LB's against the RB's and WR's. They have a great D-line, but I think we have a great O-line which ends up equaling things out. So, it comes down to execution and I would take our players' familiarity with one another and our scheme over any team in the nation.

Manuel is a good quarterback who is not proven. I believe Venables can come up with a little something to keep him guessing, forcing him to run. Even without Lewis, our LB's and DB's are as athletic as all get out. FSU lost their top WR from last year. There will be some breakdowns in communication and lack of familiarity in tense situations. I think our LB's and DB can keep up. FSU's running backs are good, but not great. With the emergence of our D-line, I think we will have some breaks but can keep the big plays minimal.

I don't see what Jimbo Fisher has done that would indicate his coaching pedigree is among the best He has inherited serious talent and become a player in a weak conference. It is not a knock on him, but I will buy into his hype once his game plan stymies a real contender. Kinda like what Bob did to Bobby Bowden in 2000. Remember Bowden's responses at the press conference after the NC game. It was like he was barely coming to grips with what had happened in the game and was still processing what was done to them on that night. anyways, just my 2 cents.

JiminyChristmas
8/30/2011, 12:00 PM
Didn't we follow up a blowout at home against Miami with a road loss the next year? Wasn't Jacory Harris a "new" QB?

A repeat of that history is my main concern.

Fraggle145
8/30/2011, 12:45 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, that should be what people are pondering. I've seen a number of threads/opinions talking about whether or not OU will win. They lost a QB in the first round of the draft, you guys *** whipped them last year...what gives?

Hook'em

That's kinda what I've been thinking... And I wasnt really impressed with EJ Manuel.

XingTheRubicon
8/30/2011, 12:53 PM
Didn't we follow up a blowout at home against Miami with a road loss the next year? Wasn't Jacory Harris a "new" QB?

No and no.

2007 was home and 2009 was the road trip to miami.

also bradford was the QB in 07 and landry in 09

and jacory harris played QB in all 13 games for miami in 08 with over 1200 yards passing, making him not "new" in 09.

The Maestro
8/30/2011, 12:57 PM
Can someone list the blowouts OU has handed to top 5 teams on the road.

Heh. Stoops best road wins would have to be KSU in 2000, OSU last year and OSU in 2008. Other than that, most of the road wins, while big conference games or sexy games early, were not against ranked teams. It all depends on where teams finish in the final poll, but not many in the Stoops era over teams on the road that finished highly ranked.

Of course, the two crushings of Texas come to mind...but not true road games.

SoonerNomad
8/30/2011, 12:59 PM
Anyone predicting a blowout is misguided in my opinion. This Florida State team may not be great, but they offer at least what OU succumbed to on the road last year in Missouri and College Station. Athletes everywhere and a huge passionate crowd. OU will have their hands full. I will take a one point win and will be surprised at a margin of 10 points or more.

OU's late road win against the Aggies in Stillwater was a step in the right direction, but it wasn't an absolute sign that the road issues are over. Winning in Tallahassee will make that statement.

allanace16
8/30/2011, 12:59 PM
No and no.

2007 was home and 2009 was the road trip to miami.

also bradford was the QB in 07 and landry in 09

and jacory harris played QB in all 13 games for miami in 08 with over 1200 yards passing, making him not "new" in 09.

Not to mention that was Landry's first "true" road game. WAY different situation than what we're facing with FSU. FWIW, I think we win this by 17 if TLew was playing. I think it might be closer to 9-10 in this game, assuming we don't give up that "late game TD to make it close but doesn't really matter" that we've seen over the last few years

cvsooner
8/30/2011, 01:30 PM
We haven't gotten past Tulsa yet. Kinne is no slouch at QB. I'm glad we have a fairly worthwhile opponent this weekend but I'd like to have a cupcake next week rather than an off week, frankly.

8timechamps
8/30/2011, 01:31 PM
This is actually a good question.

I've heard people say that FSU is overrated, and all the things that come along with that (they lost Ponder, Manuel isn't ready for such a big matchup, etc). I've also heard people say that FSU is back, and the highly ranked recruiting classes over the past couple of years will pay off this season.

All we know for sure is that we beat the hell out of them last season with many of the same players (for both teams) returning. We haven't looked great on the road the past few years (although last year got a little better toward the end), and that this is the biggest game FSU has had at home in a long time.

Other than that, it's all speculation.

I personally don't see a blowout, but I also don't think it's going to be a nail-biter (maybe the first 3 quarters are close). There is a reason we are ranked so high, and this team has so much to fight for this year. From all I've seen (the ESPN All Access show, SoonerSports practice videos and player/coach interviews), this team seems different than those that were expected to win it all. They seem focused and on a mission. Just how we like them.

NMSooner'80
8/30/2011, 01:33 PM
Not to mention that was Landry's first "true" road game. WAY different situation than what we're facing with FSU. FWIW, I think we win this by 17 if TLew was playing. I think it might be closer to 9-10 in this game, assuming we don't give up that "late game TD to make it close but doesn't really matter" that we've seen over the last few years

As I recall, Broyles also got hurt in that game and missed most of it. And it was still just a one-point game. FSU had lost at home to that same Miami team, FWIW.

allanace16
8/30/2011, 01:47 PM
As I recall, Broyles also got hurt in that game and missed most of it. And it was still just a one-point game. FSU had lost at home to that same Miami team, FWIW.

Indeed, you're right. Forgot about that, though outside of specific backbreaking moments, someone might as well hit me with the MIB mind-eraser when it comes to Sooner losses. Broyles had one 37 yard catch that day, and our leading receiver that game was Cam Kenney. Kinda nuts thinking of how deep we are at WR now and we were SORELY LACKING in '09.

SoonerMarkVA
8/30/2011, 01:51 PM
It's early in the season, and it's on the road. Under Stoops, those have always, and long, respectively, been issues for OU. I'll be delighted to see that change, if it does; I am in no way counting on it.

I expect a close game, and win or lose, I expect to come out of it feeling like I know we are capable of much better.

prrriiide
8/30/2011, 01:53 PM
From all I've seen (the ESPN All Access show, SoonerSports practice videos and player/coach interviews), this team seems different than those that were expected to win it all. They seem focused and on a mission. Just how we like them.

I've been saying this to anyone that has the manners to listen. This team sounds, looks, talks, and walks different. I'm not into predictions, that's why we watch. But I have a ridiculously good feeling about this team and how special they can be. Better then the feeling after Red October.

8timechamps
8/30/2011, 02:02 PM
I've been saying this to anyone that has the manners to listen. This team sounds, looks, talks, and walks different. I'm not into predictions, that's why we watch. But I have a ridiculously good feeling about this team and how special they can be. Better then the feeling after Red October.

I'm thinking it's all about Austin Box this year. There's not a veteran on the team that wants to let him down, and there's not a first year player that wants to let the vets down.

Maybe that's it, maybe not...but something is different.

ouwasp
8/30/2011, 03:15 PM
Blowout?

NO...unless the Sooners change their MO...

thecrimsoncrusader
8/30/2011, 04:10 PM
Oklahoma had more growth potential on both sides of the ball than Florida St. did going from last season to this season. And regardless of the outcome last season, Florida St. was playing an Oklahoma still at a time when Landry was finding his way, Fleming was finding his way, the DT situation not being settled along with playing a severely limping Adrian Taylor at the DT spot and also working on building up a receiving corps besides just Broyles and the offensive line still finding its way as well. Oklahoma's team was so young last season that this year's squad is going to return about 8 starters on both sides of the ball NEXT season.

This game will be a lot easier than the Missouri and ATM road games last season. And FSU's "revenge" motivation will not even hold a candle to this team's motivation to play for the late Austin Box. And once again, I don't consider a team that lost 3 of their 4 games in the second half of the season and giving up 40+ points in their second to final game of the season as a team that improved throughout the course of the season, not when their schedule didn't actually get more difficult.

Sooner_Tuf
8/30/2011, 04:11 PM
I predict Greg Reid will blow but they have 4 - 5 other lock down NFL corners. I think we will be fine if we don't let Reid take any returns to the house.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/30/2011, 04:13 PM
I'm also glad that Oklahoma is fielding an NC competing team that doesn't have 2 or 3 senior offensive linemen thinking about the NFL instead of the actual task at hand. There just seems to be a good balance, chemistry and attitude with this squad.

Okie35
8/30/2011, 04:21 PM
No... we win by like 10 though. I cant recall the last time we played awful after a bye.

CBUS_SOONER
8/30/2011, 05:47 PM

I agree... Same for UCLA and Oregon... History is not on our side... Not to mention, we haven't played well on the road at night of late. No way in hell we blow them out... If we do, I will streak across the field at the Tosu/MEEEEECHIGAN game (which I will be attending this yr) and be happy to spend a night in jail. That being said, with all the injuries, suspensions, etc we better not sleep on Tulsa.

C&CDean
8/30/2011, 06:13 PM
These threads always seem to come back and bite us in the ***. Why do you people do this? We play Tulsa this week. **** FSU. We've got 2 weeks to worry about them after Tulsa.

And I haven't seen a bunch of OU suspensions. Am I missing something?

CBUS_SOONER
8/30/2011, 06:49 PM
Kinda feels like when a lot of people didn't respect BYU... Tulsa is a good fooball team

101sooner
8/30/2011, 07:16 PM
No.

They have plenty of reasons to beat us, they have been recruiting well, their defense looks totally stout and it's in Tallahassee.

The last time we played real teams we came within an inch of being beaten by OSU and Nebraska. That was just a few months ago.

I like this team, but losing Austin and not having Travis really changes things. That FSU defense could give us serious problems and our LB issues coupled with a defensive line that has yet to live up to expectations and a possible hit at DE with Ronnell could make that FSU offense plenty capable of scoring.

Then we have special teams. We'll see.

Dan Thompson
8/30/2011, 07:45 PM
There are so many variables - New players, injurys, JH calling the plays.

I think we will show FSU some new plays and schemes that they have not seen.

It could be close

It could be a 'blow out'

I don't think we will lose.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/30/2011, 08:10 PM

Does anyone know our record with Stoops with 2 weeks to prep? I think its pretty sick

Wishboned
8/30/2011, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know our record with Stoops with 2 weeks to prep? I think its pretty sick

I believe he's 12-2. With the losses coming to Texas in 2006, and Miami in 2009.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/31/2011, 08:20 AM
I believe he's 12-2. With the losses coming to Texas in 2006, and Miami in 2009.

And that loss to Miami had a lot more to do with Oklahoma not being good that season. It was a darn shame Broyles was lost on the first play of the game against Miami. That event alone would have been enough to not lose that game by the one stinking point. And the 2006 team, despite winning the conference, wasn't one of Coach Stoops better teams. So I guess what I am trying to say is when Oklahoma is really good, they are going to win the game after a bye week and usually win it in a really great way.

Florida St. have a few things to prove. They have to prove that Jimbo is a legit coach, which isn't proven yet. They have to prove they have a good QB, which isn't proven yet. They have to prove they actually got better, because from a record standpoint, they did not improve in the second half of the season last year.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/31/2011, 08:22 AM
OU also doesn't have to worry about blowing touchdowns on the goal line because Coach Wilson is no longer calling plays. We're going to become even bigger fans of Coach Heupel than we already for this upcoming season.

ouleaf
8/31/2011, 09:34 AM
I would not be surprised if Heupel/Norvell want to put that defense of theirs to the test right away by going incredibly high-tempo right out of the gate to try and keep them off-balance. If we can put together a couple quick drives and instill that sense of impending doom early it will go a long ways.

That and as long as we take care of the ball, I really think we'll be fine.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/31/2011, 11:32 AM
I think mentioning the Oregon, UCLA and BYU games is kind of silly. We all know what happened in the 2006 Oregon game and Oklahoma had to make a serious adjustment that season losing Bomar in fall drills. Yeah it mostly worked out, but the adjustment was still huge in a short time to make it so. The 2005 UCLA game was the year that Oklahoma probably had Coach Stoops worst overall team. And the team that played in the BYU game wasn't much better for the 2009 season.

What was Oklahoma's true road game record in the 2000 season?
What was Oklahoma's true road game record in the 2003 season?
What was Oklahoma's true road game record in the 2004 season?
What was Oklahoma's true road game record in the 2008 season?

Those weren't questions despite the question form and question marks. Those were legit NC competing teams and by all counts leading up to this season, this year's team is a legit NC competing team. Oklahoma doesn't have a problem on the road, they are just so damn good at home, anytime, they lose on the road, the loss is merely magnified.

Regardless, I rather have Oklahoma win at home all of the time and every once in awhile on the road then be a program like Texas, Florida, Georgia or USC that can boast about their road records, but fail to mention losing at home every year or every other year on average. Losing at home really sucks.

Oklahoma didn't lose at Missouri and Texas A&M last season because they weren't a good road team, they lost because they simply weren't a good enough team just yet to win those kind of games in general. And I think we all saw enough in those games that the Oklahoma team that showed up in the final games of the season is an Oklahoma team that could have won those games at that point in time. And that Oklahoma team is the Oklahoma team the Sooners will field this season.

Oklahoma was in both of the Missouri and ATM games and could have won those games just as easily as they would have lost them. They just didn't have the discipline and maturity to get it done yet. I think at times we forget just how young the Oklahoma squad was last year. Again, to put things into perspective, this year's team is a team that will return about 8 starters on both sides of the ball next season. I would say they were pretty young last season!

mightysooner
8/31/2011, 12:38 PM
How can they have 4-5 "lock-down NFL corners" on a defense that's largely untested? No team in the nation has 4-5 "lock-down NFL corners" on it's roster, much less a rebuilding FSU. Most teams, even the top teams, don't even have one "lock-down NFL corner". Let's not over-hype this defense we obliterated last year. Good recruiting classes don't mean ****e. They're just paper tigers until proven otherwise.

SoonerNomad
8/31/2011, 01:47 PM
I think mentioning the Oregon, UCLA and BYU games is kind of silly. We all know what happened in the 2006 Oregon game and Oklahoma had to make a serious adjustment that season losing Bomar in fall drills. Yeah it mostly worked out, but the adjustment was still huge in a short time to make it so. The 2005 UCLA game was the year that Oklahoma probably had Coach Stoops worst overall team. And the team that played in the BYU game wasn't much better for the 2009 season.

What was Oklahoma's true road game record in the 2000 season?
What was Oklahoma's true road game record in the 2003 season?
What was Oklahoma's true road game record in the 2004 season?
What was Oklahoma's true road game record in the 2008 season?

Those weren't questions despite the question form and question marks. Those were legit NC competing teams and by all counts leading up to this season, this year's team is a legit NC competing team. Oklahoma doesn't have a problem on the road, they are just so damn good at home, anytime, they lose on the road, the loss is merely magnified.

Regardless, I rather have Oklahoma win at home all of the time and every once in awhile on the road then be a program like Texas, Florida, Georgia or USC that can boast about their road records, but fail to mention losing at home every year or every other year on average. Losing at home really sucks.

Oklahoma didn't lose at Missouri and Texas A&M last season because they weren't a good road team, they lost because they simply weren't a good enough team just yet to win those kind of games in general. And I think we all saw enough in those games that the Oklahoma team that showed up in the final games of the season is an Oklahoma team that could have won those games at that point in time. And that Oklahoma team is the Oklahoma team the Sooners will field this season.

Oklahoma was in both of the Missouri and ATM games and could have won those games just as easily as they would have lost them. They just didn't have the discipline and maturity to get it done yet. I think at times we forget just how young the Oklahoma squad was last year. Again, to put things into perspective, this year's team is a team that will return about 8 starters on both sides of the ball next season. I would say they were pretty young last season!

I really like the logic in this post. Reality is there will be many challenges to overcome in Tallahassee if OU is going to win and there will be other challenges along the way. Is this team experienced enough and tough minded enough to overcome those challenges when they present themselves. The journey starts on Saturday. I don't think this year will be like 2005, 2006 or 2009, but I won't really know until I see some action on the field and that first reaction to adversity.